The Ghost of Masquerade

The Ghost of Masquerade

                                          

 

At the morning, Ye Ri saw someone when she wanted to breakfast. Henry said,

“Ye Ri, this is Uncle Kang In,”

Ye Ri smiled to Kang In. Kang In nodded and smiled too. He’s  48 years old but he still looked handsome and healthy.

“Hello, Uncle Kang In,” Ye Ri said.

“Hello, Ye Ri,” Kang In replied. 

Henry continued.

“And this is Aunt Ri In,” he said and Ye Ri saw a woman next Kang In. She’s a beautiful woman.  Although her age was more than 45, she still looked beautiful. That woman smiled to her,

“Hello, Ye Ri. Wow, you’re beautiful,” 

Ye Ri bowed to her and smiled,

“Hello...Ah, thank you, Aunt Ri In. You’re so beautiful too...”

They started to breakfast. Heechul said,

“Shindong’s family will come at 10 o’clock,”

“Then we must prepare everything for them,” Kang In said. Heechul nodded,

“Yes. Yoon Mi don’t like her rooms dusty,”

Henry asked Heechul to show the mansion to his friends,

“Zhoumi still curious about this house and there’s still a place where Ye Ri hasn’t see it,”

Heechul nodded,

“Alright, Henry,”

 Then Heechul brought them so looked around the first floor.

“This is my uncle’s collection room. Full of things that he brought from his expedition. He liked to visit some country,” Heechul explained when they entered the first room.

Ye Ri and Zhoumi surprised. That room was fabulous. so large and luxurious. . It’s a room with a big window and burgundy curtain. There’s a ceiling picture which portrayed a blue sky and the clouds.

 “So beautiful,” Ye Ri amazed. Henry smiled,

“Beauty, isn’t it? I wonder how long they took to draw,”

“The paintings is so beautiful too,” said Zhoumi while took a picture with his camera.

“My uncle liked to collect the paintings too,” said Heechul while smiled.

Ye Ri looked at him,

“Your uncle, Uncle Heechul? Did this mansion belongs to your father?”

Heechul shook his head,

“No. My father has passed away when I was six. So I lived with my uncle’s family,”

Ye Ri and Zhoumi looked confused,

“Then, did your uncle have a son? Where’re they?” asked Zhoumi. Heechul looked shocked with that question.

“About that...” Heechul seemed hard to answer. 

“They all died,” said a voice behind them.

Ye Ri, Zhoumi and Henry surprised. Kang In smiled,

“I’m sorry for making you surprised. I just feel interested for join you in this small tour,”

Ye Ri smiled,

“That’s OK, Uncle. Um...you said that Uncle Heechul’s cousins were dead?”

Kang In nodded.

“Yes. So Heechul’s uncle gave this mansion to him,”

Ye Ri nodded,

“Ah, I see,”

Heechul tried to smile,

“Come on, let’s continue to other room. The next room will make you happy, I guess,”

Heechul was right. It’s a beautiful library which contains a hundreds books, encyclopedias, and many more. Ye Ri already saw that room but she didn’t have a chance to explore it. The library was so big until Ye Ri felt that it’s not a library but a house.  There’s a big lamp with beautiful decoration hanging above them. The library’s window was so big with golden curtain.  At that time, the window opened so Ye Ri could see the backyard from there.

“Waa, so beautiful!”

Heechul and Kang In laughed,

“You can read the books if you have time,” said Heechul. Ye Ri nodded,

“I will. Thank you, Uncle,”

The next room made Henry looked enthusiastic. He took Heechul’s position to explain,

“This is music room. Look, there’s a piano, violin and guitar here,” he said vigorously.

Heechul laughed,

“Henry loved to play violin everytime he came here,”

Ye Ri laughed while Zhoumi shook his head,

“Ckck...Then show it to us, Henry. Your performance,” he said. Henry smiled widely,

“May I? Alright. This is for you,” Henry took the violin then played it for them. The beautiful melody filled the air. Zhoumi’s mouth opened, looked surprised.

Ye Ri looked amazed. She clapped when Henry finished his performance,

“Wow, daebak, Henry!”

“Ah, thank you, thank you,” Henry bowed his body, looked satisfied. Ye Ri still clapped while laughed,

“You can be a great musician, Henry,” she said and Henry laughed too.

Suddenly Aunt Ri In entered the room. She smiled,

Omo, I heard violin sound so I knew you all are here. Kang In~ah, Shindong family came,”

“Really?” Kang In smiled. He looked at Heechul and both of them smiled,

“Let’s welcome them,” Heechul said and Kang In nodded.

Henry, Zhoumi and Ye Ri followed them to the front door. Mr. Yoon already there, brought so many luggage.

“Shindong!” Heechul’s arm opened widely. Shindong, 48 years old man, laughed and hugged him.

“Heechul! You don’t look getting older!”  he said. Heechul laughed,

“You too!” he replied. Kang In smiled looked at them,

“Shindong, welcome, brother,” he said and Shindong hugged him too,

“Long time no see, Kang In,”

Ye Ri saw a woman behind Shindong,  she was 45 years old, perhaps. Surprisingly she look...did she wrong? That woman looked...afraid...

“Yoon Mi! Why are you looked tense? Just relax. Be happy, we’re gather here!” Heechul walked to her.

Ji Yoon Mi, Shindong’s wife, shivered,

“I don’t like to came here, Heechul. This house is creepy...”

Shindong hugged her,

Omo, Yoon Mi, not again! You said that every time we came here! Just relax, this house is not creepy at all,”

Yoon Mi shook her head,

“No, Shindong. I felt bad feeling every time we come here,”

Kang In and Heechul looked at each other,

Omo, Yoon Mi. Let’s just have fun! We’ll make you comfortable,” Heechul said and Kang In nodded,

“Let’s go to your room, Yoon Mi. Your favourite room,” he added. Shindong hugged  her wife’s shoulder and walked to the other room.

Ye Ri and Zhoumi looked at Henry,

“Um, Henry? What’s happen with Aunt Yoon Mi?” Ye Ri asked.

“Yes, she looked...afraid about this house...She said that this house is...” Zhoumi added but before his words was complete, Henry said quickly,

“Don’t worry about that! Heechul said that she has...paranoia...”

“Paranoia?” Ye Ri repeated. Henry nodded.

“Yes. Don’t worry about that, guys...let’s just have fun here. This house is not creepy at all, believe me,”

“No ghost?” Zhoumi asked straightforward. Henry laughed,

Omo, do you believe that this house is haunted?”

Zhoumi looked hesitate before he answered,

Ani,”

“Then OK,” Henry said.

“Let’s enjoy to see the other room. Did I already said that we have a beautiful garden? It’s Aunt Ji Eun’s favourite garden,” he continued and he brought his friends to the garden.

***

“Um, Henry? I haven’t asked this yet, but where’s Uncle Heechul’s wife?” Ye Ri asked when they walked along the path in the garden. Henry surprised,

“Did I already told you? She’s died, five years ago,”

Both of Zhoumi and Ye Ri shook their head,

“No, you didn’t tell me, Henry,” Zhoumi said. Henry patted his forehead,

Omo! I’m so sorry, guys! I forget about it! But believe me, that’s not a good story,” he admitted.

“Why?” Ye Ri asked.

Henry looked around before he whispered,

“Psst, keep it secret. Uncle Heechul will angry if he know. Actually...Aunt Ji Eun died after she fell from the stairs,”

MWO? She fell?” both of Zhoumi and Ye Ri shouted. Henry was so shocked,

“Guys! Psst, psst! Don’t say it loudly!”

Zhoumi and Ye Ri quickly closed their mouth.

Omo, I’m so sorry. So she fell from the stair?” Zhoumi whispered. Henry nodded,

“Mm. Yes. I didn’t know the detail but...Mrs. Jin, the head of housekeeper said to me that she heard...a scream from Aunt Ji Eun before she fell,”

“A scream?” Ye Ri repeated. Henry nodded,

“Yes, yes. She screamed. She shouted a name, “Leeteuk! Leeteuk!” then she screamed so hideously,”  he continued his story.

“Leeteuk? Who is it?” Zhoumi asked.

“Leeteuk was my grand-grandfather’s first son, Uncle Heechul’s uncle, who died 30 years ago,”

Zhoumi and Ye Ri nodded,

“I see,” they both said.

Henry smiled,

“Let’s stop this story. I will show you Aunt Ji Eun’s favourite flower,”

***

After dinner, Ye Ri went to her room. She had a habit to read before she sleep. Although she’s already 19 years old, she still like to read fairy tale.

When she enjoyed the story, suddenly she heard piano sound. She smiled,

“Ah, Henry. He will turn into a good musician, I’m sure,”

But suddenly she heard Zhoumi’s sound from the next room,

“Don’t do that, Henry! That’s my favourite’s clothes!”

“No! This clothes is childish!” Ye Ri heard Zhoumi laughed.

Ye Ri’s heart seemed stop. So, the piano player was not Henry?

She heard that piano sound again. But then she remembered,

“Perhaps Uncle Heechul or Uncle Kang In, or Aunt Ri In,” she said in heart and she felt relieve.

The melody was so beautiful. Ye Ri really liked it. It’s a beautiful lullaby.

“So beautiful...I will ask who’s the player tomorrow,” she said in heart again.

That melody made her sleepy. And she slept in five minutes.

***