Chapter Two

Why Did You?

 

“I see that you’re awake now”
 
“Stop stating the obvious Seo, and tell me why you’re crying.”
 
“So now you remember me?”
 
“ I never forgot you”
 
“I gave you my everything, but was it enough for you? Was my love for you not enough?”
 
“It was more than enough”
 
“Then let me ask a few things.”
 
“What?”
 
“Why?”
 
“Why what?”
 
“Why did you leave? Didn’t you say you would stay by my side? Or was that just a lie?”
 
“Seohyun…”
 
“If you won’t answer any of those questions, then answer me this. Was your love for me a lie?”
 
She grabbed my hand and said, “Of course not! My father left the to who knows where when he was gambling and he got a loan from the men you saw earlier. He left without a trace and since I’m the only family he has, the debt was passed down to me. They secretly took me and that was why I disappeared. I begged for them to let me go and I would find a way to pay for them. I sold all of my stuff and gave all of the money I earned to them.”
 
“Why didn’t you tell me? We were partners, yet you didn’t even tell me you were in trouble?”
 
“I didn’t want you fighting in a battle that doesn’t involve in you.”
 
“I will fight, because it does involve in me.”
 
“No it doesn’t. Why can’t you just go back to your life without me? It seems you’re doing so well without me”
 
“You really think I was living okay without you? I turned into a lowlife drunkard without you! I won’t let you go away from me because…”
 
“Because?”
 
“Because I love you.”
 
I pulled her to me and hugged her tightly. I don’t want to ever let he go. I cried into her shoulder and she was stunned by my actions. This was the first time a cried ever since she left me. I refused to cry back then. I didn’t want to show anyone my weak side. But my wall seems to have crashed down when I met her once again. I didn’t want to let go. I let me tears fall freely, until I received a phone call. I tried to ignore it, but she reached into my pocket and gave it to me herself. I wiped my tears with the back of my hands and looked at the collar ID. It was Seungyeon. I looked at Jessica and decided to get up and go to the bathroom to speak to Seungyeon. Jessica was staring at me while I answered, “Hello?” She called to tell me that my vacation starts in 2 days but I could start early since there is no work left. I replied “Thank you.” and she ended the call.
 
I went to the bathroom to get the first aid kit and went back to Jessica. I asked for her arm, but she said she couldn't lift it. I ed her shirt for her and carefully took it off. I tried to act as cool as possible. It wasn’t the first time I saw her shirtless, but why am I feeling this way? It must be cause I haven’t seen it for a while. I notice other fresh cuts on her arms and many other bruises throughout her body. I told her it’s going to hurt a bit and grabbed her hand. She squeezed my hand tightly and gritted her teeth. I hated seeing her like this. I finished putting the ointment on her arm and told her to turn around. I look at her back and see many more bruises others fail to notice. I tell her it’s going to sting and nodded her head. I finish putting the medication on her and gave her one of my t-shirts so that she could easily put the ointment and medication on later. I told her to stay here and I went to the bank to get the money. 
 
I parked my car at the parking lot and went to the elevator. I saw her looking out and sighing constantly. I went to her and asked, “Why are you sighing?” She replied, “You never answered my question.”
 
“What question?”
 
“Why were you crying.”
 
I nodded my head in understanding and told her it was nothing. I told her to come back in before she’d catch a cold and offered her my hand. She ignored it and walked passed by me like I was invisible. I sighed and followed her. I asked if she was hungry and she shook her head. I asked if there was something wrong and she sighed. I told her I want to bring her somewhere and she told me she can’t cause she needs to wash her clothes.  I told her to borrow my clothes but she refused. I wrapped my jacket around her and grabbed her hand. I led her to my car and opened the door for her. She said,” Thank you.” and I smiled. I put the seatbelt on her, since it was her right and that hurts and she couldn’t use it. She smiled and said, “Thanks…Again.” I sit in the drivers seat and put on my seatbelt. I turn on the ignition and drive off to somewhere far away from the city. 
 
It was already 10 o’clock at night and I turn into a small diner. I wake Jessica up and tell her to eat something, we’re no where near our destination. She opens the door and I help her out. She sits down at a table near the window and I go order us dinner and a cup of coffee on the go. I lean back against the railing as I wait for our dinner and stare at her. No matter how I look at her, no matter how mad I am at her, and no matter how many times she leaves me, she’ll still be the best thing that’s ever happened in my life. I want to return the favor, but how? I just hope this place I'm bringing her to would do the job, or even help. Just a little.
 
I go to the table she was sitting at and place her dinner in front of her. She smiles saying how I remembered her favorite. I just smile and eat my dinner. She tries to eat with her left hand but fails as she wipes herself from the mess she’s made. I try to help her out by feeding her and she opens . I continue feeding her until there was no more left. I ate my food quickly and grab her hand. I thank the people who ran the diner as they give me my coffee. I take a sip of my coffee and open the door for Jessica. I ask her to put my coffee in the cup holder as I put the seatbelt on her. This time, Jessica stays up with me, occasionally dozing off. I tell her it’s okay to sleep and she drifts off to wonderland.
 
It was 1’o clock in the morning and we had just arrived. I wasn’t the least bit tired. I finished my coffee and turn my head towards her direction. It was late and she was probably tired after everything that’s happened today. I open her door and take off her seatbelt. I lift her and carefully carry her to the door. I don’t know where I got the strength to carry her, but it just gathered up and I’m glad it did. As I unlock the door and enter, I take a deep breath and let it out. It’s been so long since I’ve been here. I carry her to our room and set her down the bed. I look around the place and decided to do some late night cleaning. I tie my hair and grab the duster to dust every inch of the house to make it free of dust. I then vacuum the carpet and mop the floor. I finish an hour later and decide to take a shower. I come back seeing her shift uncomfortably. 
 
I run towards her to see what’s wrong and see it’s cause of the bruises that she couldn’t find a comfortable position. I lift her head and put it on my thighs to use it as a pillow. She then lifts the arms that’s been hurting her and the arm she could use and hugs me by the waist. I let her sleep like that as I drift off in a sitting position. 
 
I wake up at 9:00 in the morning and stretch my arms out as I yawn. I look down at me to see her staring right back at me with wide eyes. I smile and she greets me with a good morning. I say the same as she tries to get up but plops herself back on me in failure. I grab her in my arms and help her up. She blushes and stutters saying, “ I-I I’m going to take a-a shower now” I nod my head and hand her a pair of clothes to change into when she finishes. 
 
She comes back out asking me to help her dry her hair. I ask her how she managed to take a shower and tells me with a lot of hard work. I chuckle and grab the towel from her hand. I finish drying her hair and start to brush every tangled strand as I work my way down. This was just like the past. I would always help her when she comes out of the bathroom and she would close her eyes in deep thought. I’m starting to miss the thought.
 
She asks me where we are and I decided to tell the truth.
 
 
“We’re at the house that I built for us when we were going to get married”
 
“Then how come I didn’t know? And what marriage? We were never engaged”
 
“At that time, this house wasn’t finished until after you left and I wanted to surprise you after the wedding. But there has to be a proposal in order to be a wedding, correct? I was planning to propose to you the night you left.”
 
“You did all of this for me?”
 
“There are many other things you don’t know about.”
 
“Will you tell me?”
 
“I will show you. But right now, I need to see those guys.”
 
“No. Don’t go. I don’t want you to.”
 
I smile and say, “Don’t worry about me. I brought you here so that they won’t find you. You’ll be safe here.”
 
She frowns and says, “The only way I feel safe is when I’m with you.”
 
“I won’t bring you along. I’m sorry. But I will be back in a few hours. If you don’t know, we’re about 5 hours away from Seoul.” and I left like that.
 
 
 
I see the 4 men waiting for me at the same place. I walk over there coolly as they turn their heads to my direction. When I reach there, they immediately asked for the money. I threw them the bag and they check what’s in it. The men checking counts it and when he finishes count the money he smirks sinisterly. I just wanted to barf right then and there. He tells his other men that all of it’s there. The regain themselves and look at me saying,” You gonna keep payin’ for her?” I answer with a yes and tell them to meet me here again the first day of the next month. I also tell them that I will keep paying them all $2,000,000 with 2,000 at a time, so I don’t want them bothering me or Jessica. They say, “Yeah. Yeah. Whatever. Bye” and leave.
 
I go to my apartment to pick up anything that may entertain Jessica and me or anything I need. I bring the disinfecting wipes, my iPod, board games, my laptop, some additional clothes for Jessica to wear, and head out to the door. I stop by a few stores to buy 2 toothbrushes, dental floss, all the hygienic stuff. Then I go to another store to buy a larger first aid kit than the one I used before, some Tyenol, and went grocery shopping. I put all of the bags into the trunk and some in the back passenger seat. I drive off as quickly as possible to the house and reach there at 5 in the afternoon.
 
She must’ve been so bored since I left and there wasn’t much in the house either besides all the furniture and my office which is just full of books she wouldn’t read and my- Oh no. My journal! It has everything from my childhood till now. Ever since she left, I wrote so much about how much I still loved her but hated her at the same time for leaving me. I wrote so many songs about her and drew so many pictures in their like a lovesick fool. I need to make sure she doesn’t read that. She’ll think I’m a creep if she saw that.
 
I run up to my office quickly to only find I was too late. She was looking at the drawing I drew of us when we started dating. I think I just showed her the things I just did to her, and the future plans I had in stock for us. There were many ideas I had to just make her smile. But seeing her right now, she had a wide grin and her eyes were so bright, it was brighter than any star I’ve seen. 
 
“You wanted to do all of these… for me?”
 
“You’re the only one I loved ever since I met you. Check the date of the first picture I drew.”
 
“April 18th, 2009. It’s my birthday.”
 
“Now check the bottom right.”
 
“I, Seo Joohyun, swear to never feel this feeling for any other person like she does right now for this girl in this picture.”
 
“Now answer me this. What was your feelings for me?”
 
“…Love.”
 
“This feeling. It’s the same as the word you just said. And just to let you know, I kept my promise.”
 
“So you never loved anyone after me?”
 
I shook my head
 
“Even if I abandoned you?”
 
This time I nodded.
 
“Wow.”
 
“Wow? That’s all you have to say?”
 
“Well, there is one thing I want you to know.”
 
“And that is…”
 
“I love you too.”
 
“What? You do? You really do?”
 
She nods her head and comes up to me to wrap her arms around my neck as I spin her around. Her wounds seems to have healed fast. It wasn’t too deep, so it wasn’t going to hurt a lot anyways. I feel like I’m the happiest person alive at the moment. It’s just like when I first confessed to her and found out my love wasn’t one sided. After so many years, I’m starting to feel like a teenager falling in puppy love all over again. But I know that isn’t true. There were many problems the two of us have to go through, and it’s going to be a long, rocky journey. That journey will start later on, but right now, I just want to live in the moment.