Chapter Three

Why Did You?

 

It was 7 o'clock and I was sitting at the dining table. After the confession, Jess was hungry and wanted to show me her cooking skills. She said she "improved" but I just hope it's edible. She's been taking over half an hour so I was starting to wonder what she was cooking but I wasn't allowed to enter the kitchen. I only got to watch her cook our dinner from afar. She was swaying her hips as she swiftly moved from one side of the kitchen to the other. Her smile was very wide whenever I got to see her face, so as long as she smiled, I smiled. 
 
It's been so long that I started to get bored. Jessica was no where to be seen so I started going through the messages and mail in my phone. Most of the messages I got were about work and even all the mail was about work. I hadn't realize until now that work had taken over my entire life ever since she left. There were many things I regretted doing since Jessica left. I filled my system with alcohol and even started to go to bars that were unknown to me. Now don't think I went around kissing girls there, I just went there for the drinks when I ran out of any beer, wine, whiskey, or vodka here. It wasn't until Tiff smacked some sense into me when I stopped drinking and she tried to help me go back on the right track. 
 
As I was recalling all of those memories in my life, Jess came out of the kitchen asking what was wrong. I told her it was nothing but just some sad memories I don't want to relive and she just nodded, knowing I don't want to talk about it. I was glad to have someone who wasn't nosy in my business. She set down the two plates in her hands and went back to the kitchen to get the rest. I asked her if she needed help but she said she could manage with the last two plates. I looked at what was now in front of me and all of them were my favorite. I looked into the bowl to find sweet potatoes. I can't believe she still remembered. All of these foods were so hard to make, but it seemed to look so easy for her from afar. She told me to try it out and so I did. It was like when you're dying of dehydration in the hot desert with the sun rays hidding against you but then you find a cool oisis and you feel relieved to not die. I was thinking there was something wrong with it even though it looked delicious, but boy was I wrong. It tasted just like how it looked. 
 
She said she practiced whenever she had the ingredients and like they say, practice makes perfect. I started to dig in the first thing I saw and she giggled at the sight. I ignored it and ate until I couldn't with the feeling of my stomach about to burst. I accidentally let out a loud burp and said excuse me while blushing in embarressment. When both of us finished dinner we both helped each other clean the dishes with her drying and me rinsing. We finished and headed upstairs and layed on the bed in silence. I was her hair while she laid on me with her eyes closed. I stopped when I worked through every strand she had and she got up saying she needs to take a shower. I nodded and as she went to go take a shower I went to my nightstand and got out my Ban Ki Moon book and reading glasses.
 
It was 8:30 and I had just gotten out of the bathroom. I came out to see Jessica reading my Ban Ki Moon book. I smiled and climbed on the bed. She was unaware of my presence and I locked her in my embrace. She looked over my shoulder and locked her lips with mines. I asked her what that was for and she just smiled and walked off into the living room. I followed and saw her going through some cabinets. I didn't know what she was looking for. I only remember putting my paperwork in there. She came back to me and showed me what was in her hand. It was in highschool years and I had secretly took a picture of her in the backround with a flower as the main backround. I had no idea where that picture went after losing it a few years ago. Looks like she's found it.
 
She handed it to me asking why I took this and I shrugged. It was the first time I saw her and she looked pretty so I just took the picture. I had no idea both of us would even meet, let alone fall into the depths of love with each  other. I just pulled her and laid my hands on her waist saying it doesn't matter. I hope these little moments could go on for the rest of my days, but I know that can't happen. I had a lot to do, and I'm planning to support her too. She's worked so hard already. I don't want her to work anymore. She'll be tired and stressed out for crying out loud. I don't want to see her like that. From this day on, I vow to not let her become like me, a stressed out workaholic. I know she will be bored in the house, but there are jobs out there that are unfit for her. She could maybe help me out by becoming my model or my assistant, I don't know yet.
 
She took my hands off of her waist and locked our now intertwined fingers. She led me to our room and said she's tired. I chuckled and said how she still has the habit of being tired easily. The girl could practically sleep for the entire day, if not more! She told me to be quiet and I turned off the lamp and drifted off to sleep with Jessica in my arms.
 
I woke up in the morning to see her still sleeping with her head tucked into my chest. It was an awkward feeling but nonetheless, I still enjoyed having her presence. I tried to get free from her grasp and struggled a bit as I got out. I went to go brush my teeth when I heard her voice. It sound like she was having a nightmare. She was terrified and tears started to stream down her face. I ran to her trying to wake her up but she wouldn't. How can I? She's a heavy sleeper so all I could do was try my best and comfort her. I let her head rest on my lap as she hugged me tightly and constantly tugged on my shirt. I tried calming her down by saying soothing words and her hair. I carefully listened to what she was saying but it was hard to interperet. It was something like, "No! Don't touch me! Go away! I'll pay you back, I promise!" What have those men done to you?
 
She woke up and cried into my shirt. I tried to speak to her but she was lost in her own world. I let it slide and told her it was okay now. That it was just a dream. But she said something that enraged me. They tried to her. I stopped and froze on the spot. I tried to hold back my tears and choked as I said, "Did they see anything parts of your body" She luckily shook her head no and I sighed in relief. At least they didn't violate her. But those bruises were intense and if it weren't for knowing how to aid them, I would've took her to the hospital. Now I know that no matter what, I won't let her see those men's faces ever again. I vowed to myself if anyone violated her in anyway, then I will pay them back 100x as what she felt.
 
We stayed in that position for nearly 20 minutes. She got up looking at my shirt and laughed saying, " I think I just soaked your shirt with tears" I put my arm around her saying it was no big deal and wiped her cheeks with my thumb. I told her she looks more prettier now and she let out a more happier laugh as she gently punched me in the forearm. I told her to brush her teeth and freshen up a bit as I went to the other bathroom and do the same. There was another place I wanted to show her.
 
I came out a bit later than Jess and asked if she waited long. She exaggerated saying, "Yes! Seo Joohyun, I have been waiting for the past 5 minutes starving!" I giggled and said, "Yes, Princess. I know how much 5 minutes of starving in agony will kill you." I grabbed 2 of my jackets and handed one to her saying it will be a bit chilly out. We locked our fingers together and we were outside breathing the fresh air of the countryside. It was nice how everything was calm and peaceful. Seoul was always full of cars and it was just too hectic. 
 
We walked for about 20 minutes until Jessica stopped and said how long until we're there. She was already tired probably cause of the bruises she had. I told her to get on my back and she happily obliged. Jumping onto my back, I made little conversation with her. It was as if she's never left at all. 
We reached to our destination. It was a small lake but nonetheless, it was beautiful. I had found this when I was freely roaming around the area to find anything to catch my eye then I saw this lake. Near the lake was a passageway and it had a giant rock for the two of us to lay on and we could watch the sky above us. I kneeled and Jessica got off. I climbed onto the rock and asked for Jessica's hand, which she gladly accepts. I pull her up and catch her in my arms. We sit down as I looked at what was in the sky. The sky was as clear as it could be with the sun shining high above us and the wind blowing in every direction. I shielded Jessica with my body and warmth as she dug her head deep into the crook of my neck. The wind stopped but we held the position for a while until I noticed she fell asleep. This girl seriously hasn't changed a bit.