Chapter One

Why Did You?

 

I was walking to the café as usual, when I spotted someone. This wasn’t just ordinary stranger. She looked exactly like her. That girl, I need to find her. I have this feeling that stranger is her. I know it is, my feelings are never wrong. I was pushing through the crowds of people and they were pushing and shoving me back and forth like a game of ping pong. But I didn’t care. I just need to speak to her.  My eyes were glued to her back like they never left. I got out of the crowd and only stopped when I saw her speaking to a man. I hid and tried to blend in with the people walking by until I reached to a newsstand and grabbed a Times magazine. I was pretending to look at the cover while those two were smiling and laughing, as if they were a happy couple. Then the two parted their ways and bid farewell. Guess they were just friends or they once knew each other. 
 
I paid for the Times magazine for later purposes and began to follow her. It’s like a force where I can’t reach her, but I don’t want to lose her. I have to keep a safe distance for her to not notice me, but to keep an eye on her. She reached the nearby park and bought a vanilla flavored ice cream. She still likes that? She may have aged a bit, but it still must be her favorite. Even if she aged a bit, I have to say, she looks like an elegant, young woman that is abnormally stunning. She would look the same as before to others, but to me, she's gotten more beautiful each day I spent with her. No wonder I catch many of the men staring at her as they pass by. 
 
She sits down on the grass at a large tree not too far where I was and happily ate her ice cream. She closed her eyes for a bit, thinking about something. What was she possibly thinking? She then opened her eyes and got out a book called “The False Prince” from her light brown satchel and began reading. Judging by the title already, she was reading something in English. After about 15 minutes or so, she stifled a yawn and my legs begin to fall asleep. I walk to another tree, a few meters behind hers, and sit down. I read an article from the Times magazine I bought and took a few glances at her to make sure she’s still there.
 
It was until then when I saw a few guys, not much taller than me but a head taller than her, coming towards her direction. Judging by their facial expressions and the way the dressed, they were someone you shouldn’t mess with and they were not a happy camper.  I looked at her expression, only to find fear in her eyes. I knew something was wrong and something bad was about to happen. I was right. They grabbed her by the collar and barked at her in English, a language I thankfully understand. I got up from the ground and yelled at the top of my lungs, 
 
“Let her go!”
 
Everyone was stunned by me. The men still had their tight grip on her collar and it was obvious she was uncomfortable. She was practically lifted up off her feet. They did what I told, but held her by the arm. By the way his grip was on her arm, it was definitely going to leave marks. I slowly walked towards them, their eyes never leaving me. I was staring straight ahead, ignoring the uncomfortable stares from them. When I reached them, the men were speaking in a very rude way asking me “What do ya want? I ain’t got no time here, ya know what I mean? This ain't yo business so leave!” It seems as though they were a pack of wild dogs, spitting every word they said. I asked them what the problem was and it seems that Jessica was in debt and hadn’t paid the required money yet. I told them I would pay for her instead and they requested $2,000. I agreed without hesitation and gave them $500 in cash and told them to meet me here tomorrow for the rest. They were smiling and were eyeing at the money I had just given.
 
They let go of her and shoved her into my arms. I caught her and the 4 men left the scene, each grabbing the money that was just handed to them from each other. I was still glancing towards their direction when I felt a sudden weight laid upon me. She fainted. I tried to stay as calm as possible and carried her like a bride she would have been if it weren’t for her sudden disappearance. I ignored the thought and grabbed both her's and my belongings. I hailed a cab to take me to my apartment and when we reached there, I gave the man all the money I had left in my wallet. The man was probably wondering why I had so little in my wallet when I had such an expensive place to live in. I smiled at him and told him that it was a long story I would tell him if we meet again and he bid me farewell and to take care of my wife. I gave him a small smile and when he left, I uttered, “I wish.”
 
I casually entered the hotel as many of the guests staying there and the clerks at the check in desk were eyeing me, bewildered by my actions. I stayed there long enough for everyone to know my name, so I simply told them, “Long story short, I know her and she fainted” A few of them, by the names of Sunny, Sooyoung, Yuri, and Yoona, all gave me a smirk and winked at me. I know what they all thought. It was “Oh, you dog! Nice catch!” I rolled my eyes, already knowing them long enough to know their thoughts and headed to the elevator. I was going to enter whenthe door slid open when suddenly, a herd of people came crashing into me, all heading towards the elevator. I tried to keep my strength and balance so I wouldn’t drop her, which I luckily didn’t. Instead of taking the elevator, I made the decision to walk up the staircase. I may be on the top floor, but she was more important than my well-being.
 
You would think after so many years after your lover left you, you would hate her. Well I could guarantee you, that wasn’t the case for me. My love may have faded a bit for her, but it seems as though the fire lit itself back into place. I was careful not to wake her, seeing how the condition is bad. I was walking up the long skinny staircase and if you look below your feet, it was a long way down. Since we were so far up, it would be bad considering she’ll have a panic attack. I felt her slipping from my grasp so as I regained my strength to pull her back up and she stirred a bit in her sleep. I’m lucky to know she’s a heavy sleeper and won’t wake up for a long time. 
 
We had finally reached to the top floor and I entered the combination pass code required, 4181989. I had requested for the combination and they had agreed since I was the boss’s childhood friend. I put our belonging on the couch and carried her to my bedroom. I laid her down the neat, king sized bed and went off to the kitchen. I came back with a small towel and a bowl of water. I wiped her forehead, her arms, and then her hands. They were still as soft as before. They feel exactly the same. Oh, how I wish to just hold them everyday. I wish to hold her in my arms everyday, but it’s highly unlikely. I doubt she even remembers me. I bring her hand to my cheek and close my eyes, letting a tear drop. I opened my eyes when I heard a soft voice, nearly a whisper, say something.
 
"Hey, why are you crying?"