Suspicions

Misplaced in Time

 

“Soul mate?” Hongki mumbled to himself.

Thinking the question was directed at him, Jonghun nodded. “Yes. You did say that word. I am positive it was you for it were your voice saying those… those...”

Hongki shook his head mentally. “I did say that,” he said, not looking at Jonghun but at his own reflection in the mirror.

Jonghun rose to his feet. “Are we going to your residence now?”

That made Hongki turn to Jonghun. “Huh?”

“I asked if we are supposed to go home now,” Jonghun repeated.

“Ah,” Hongki nodded. “Yes, of course. Unless you want to do something more to your hair,” he said, gazing at Jonghun’s new haircut.

The latter put his hand on his hair, feeling it.

“Hongki,” he began awkwardly, unused to calling the boy by his name. “My hair feels… weightless.” Jonghun shook his head. “I’m not used to it.”

Hongki smiled. “It is weightless compared to your hair before,” he said. Hongki raised his hand to touch Jonghun’s hair. “Look, you have bangs.”

Jonghun touched his hair. “Bangs?” he asked.

Nodding, Hongki smiled. “Yes, bangs. They are usually shorter than the rest of your hair.” He let his hands fall from Jonghun’s hair. “Now, let’s go home, or rather, let’s buy burger. I’m so hungry.” He touched his tummy to emphasize his hunger.

Jonghun leaned his head to the right, face full of curiosity. “What is burger?” he asked.

Aigoo! Enough is enough!

“Aish! I’m just going to show you, okay? Gosh, you’re such an alien.”

Jonghun wanted to ask Hongki about the last word he said but decided against it. He’ll ask later.

 

***

 

“Let’s sit here on the grass.”

Jonghun walked after Hongki towards the grassy field. The fast food chain they went to earlier was so crowded they decided to eat outside. Hongki found a deserted football field while they were walking and decided to eat the food they bought while resting on the grass.

“Give me my caramel macchiato,” Hongki ordered Jonghun, holding his palms open.

Jonghun remained at his place, clueless.

“Caramel macchiato,” Hongki repeated. “The drink,” he pointed at the paper bag in Jonghun’s hand.

“Ah,” Jonghun tapped his forehead. “I forgot.” He walked towards Hongki to give him the bag containing the food and drinks they purchased.

Hongki tapped on the grass beside him, gesturing Jonghun to sit and handed him another cup of caramel macchiato. “You’ve got to taste this.”

Jonghun reached for the drink, eyeing it for a moment. He looked at Hongki who is sipping his drink and did the same. “Mmm…” Jonghun moaned, delighted by the taste of the drink. He closed his eyes for a moment before opening it again to stare at the paper cup in his hands. After two more sips, Jonghun looked at Hongki with such joy on his face that made Hongki laugh.

“You’re face looks absolutely delighted,” Hongki commented, staring at Jonghun’s face.

Jonghun finished the drink before replying. “This is very delicious.”

“Of course! It's my favorite.”

Jonghun became serious. “Hongki, when are we going to start researching about… me?”

Hongki inhaled. “Tomorrow. I have no class tomorrow so we can go to the library.” He turned to Jonghun. “Don’t try anything stupid at the library okay?”

Jonghun nodded. “I won’t.”

Smiling, Hongki nodded too. “Good. Now, cross your heart.”

“What?”

“Cross you heart,” Hongki repeated.

Eyebrows knitted, Jonghun looked down on his chest. “How do I cross my heart?” he asked confusedly.

Hongki looked at him. “Oh, right, you don’t know about that.” He reached for Jonghun’s right hand and crossed it in front of Jonghun’s heart. “There you go. That’s how we do promises nowadays.”

Jonghun leaned his head to the left. “What an odd way to seal a promise.”

“It is odd,” Hongki agreed. “But it is how it is. You know what?”

“No.”

Hongki laughed. “You’re supposed to say ‘what?’ you know. Anyway, you’re learning our ways a bit. That’s good.” Hongki smiled at Jonghun.

Staring at Hongki’s smiling face, Jonghun mumbled, “Your world may be frivolous at times but there are things that remained beautiful.”

 

***

 

“Where is the section for information about Joseon Dynasty?” Hongki asked the receptionist of the library near his apartment.

“Sir it’s on the third floor. The section for Joseon,” the receptionist kindly replied.

Hongki and nodded and went to Jonghun who is standing in the middle of the library’s lobby, looking around like a child.

“Hey,” he called. Jonghun turned to him, an amazed expression on his face. “Let’s go.” He walked to the elevator and pressed the ‘up’ button.

“What is this place?” Jonghun was unable to keep the amazement in his voice. Hongki said they were going to a library but he didn’t expect it to be like this. Everything seems so modern. It looks like it’s not of this world.

“Library,” Hongki answered.

Jonghun stared at him. “This,” he looked around, “is a library? You must be jesting!”

Hongki shook his head. “No, I’m not. Oh, here’s the elevator. Let’s get in.” Hongki went inside the elevator first, followed by Jonghun.

“Evelator,” Jonghun mumbled.

“Elevator,” Hongki corrected then pressed the button with number ‘3’ on it and the elevator moved up. Jonghun grabbed the railings inside.

“What is going on? The ground is moving!”

Chuckling, Hongki said, “Good thing we’re the only one here, or else,” he shook his head, still smiling. “The ground is not moving, don’t worry. We use elevators to reach a floor higher than the ground.”

“This thing flies?”

“Oh, shut up.”

 

 

 

“Here’s an information about you,” Hongki showed Jonghun the book he found in the Joseon section of the library. Most books are written in Hanja.

“You still use Hanja?” Jonghun asked, taking the book from Hongki.

“Not really. We have Hangeul now but I studied some characters in Hanja.”

They sat on the table at the corner of the room. There were not much people in the library and there’s no one on the floor they were in.

Once seated, Jonghun opened the book. “Oh, look! It’s me. ‘Jonghun, son of the Joseon king, King Su Jung through Consort Suk of the Song clan, is also the brother of King Hee Chul whom he tried to assassinate…” Jonghun stared at the book, unable to continue.

“What?” Hongki asked, reaching for the book. He read where Jonghun left off. “On the night before the prince was arrested, four men were found sneaking their way inside the residence of the king outside the palace. King Heechul was inside, resting after hunting for a game during the day. It was found out that only the prince and the king's trusted men had known His Majesty would be staying outside the palace. The plan to dethrone the king didn’t work for the prince was arrested after the men confessed to the trial that Prince Jonghun indeed had given them the order to assassinate the king. The case wasn’t able to continue when six days before the prince’s trial; he died on his prison cell. The guards believed that Prince Jonghun suffered from heart attack since there was no sign of poisoning…” Hongki looked at Jonghun afterwards and after a long silence. “Did you?”

Jonghun looked at Hongki. “Did I what?”

“Did you try to…” Hongki gulped, “kill your brother?”

Jonghun closed his eyes. “I would never do that.”

Criminals never admit what they had done but Hongki was sure this man couldn’t have done it.

“I know,” he held Jonghun’s hands in his. “I know you’d never do that.” Hongki remembered his classmate’s words during their class: It is unknown if the said prince really wanted to depose his brother but many people said that Prince Jong Hun was really close to his older brother so it is impossible for him to try and dethrone the king.

Jonghun stared at their hands.

Hongki consciously pulled away. “But,” Hongki said. “Who could have wanted you dead?”

Shaking his head, Jonghun spoke, “I have no idea.”

“Any enemies?”

“Many.”

Hongki pouted. “That’s your answer.”

Jonghun smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry for being a trouble.”

Waving his hands, Hongki smiled back. “Don’t worry about it. I would use you for my paper anyway.”

“You would use me for a paper? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Paper. Thesis. Got it? Anyway, let’s find some more information about you. And I mean personal info.” Hongki dug his pockets for his phone.

“What is that?” Jonghun pointed at Hongki’s phone.

“A cell phone. It’s used to call someone and… anyway it has many uses.” Hongki connected his phone to the internet and started searching Jonghun’s name through the net.

“Who are you calling?” Jonghun asked curiously when Hongki just sat there, typing.

Hongki shook his head. “I’m not calling someone. Now, don’t speak—aha!” Hongki snapped his fingers after finding an interesting information about Jonghun. “You are a player!” He wiggled his forefinger at Jonghun while showing his phone at him. “See this? This website tells about your escapades with women. Single women, gisaengs, married women, palace ladies, name it and you had a relationship with them. Admit it! Aish, you seem to chase everyone with skirts.”

Jonghun’s eyebrows knitted. “But what is a player?”

“A player is someone who uh… has relationships with all sorts of women.” Hongki explained.

Nodding his head, Jonghun muttered the word ‘player’ over and over while Hongki stared.

So, he admits he is a playboy. With his looks, that’s not impossible. He felt bitterness creep into him. What is this? Why am I bothered by this information?

He read the text on the website silently. Jonghun, a prince of the Joseon dynasty is reputed to be a smart person, someone who spends his time reading books. But it seems that the prince isn’t all busy about his books and his assassination plans. It is said that Prince Jonghun is also reputed to be a woman’s man. According to a palace lady’s diary found inside the palace, Song Jonghun exudes manliness that makes all sorts of women—married women, single women, gisaengs, palace ladies—crazy with his looks. Look below for a portrait of the young prince.

The portrait portrays a very handsome man, someone whom women would surely drool at. He remembered seeing Jonghun’s portrait for the first time in his history class. He thought Jonghun is a warrior. But after seeing Jonghun, the portrait seems to be an understatement for Jonghun’s looks. It didn’t capture the smile on his face or the twinkle of his eyes. All it shows is a portrait of a young man who has a perfect face.

“Hey,” Jonghun called, startling Hongki.

“Oh. Sorry for spacing out.”

“Spacing out? What is that?”

“It means you’re not paying attention to something. Anyway,” Hongki said, going back to the topic, “maybe a woman felt really hurt and framed you so you’ll be accused of being a traitor.”

Jonghun sat there thoughtfully. Maybe it is as Hongki said but he has no problems with women. They know the relationships were temporary before they begin so there’s no reason to feel bitter at all. Anyway, he brought them pleasure, right?

“Hey, Jonghun,” Hongki called.

Jonghun took a deep breath before speaking. “It’s possible although… it’s not likely to be the case.”

Nodding, Hongki reached for the book they were reading earlier. “Let’s continue reading, shall we?” He looked down on the book and started reading. “After the prince died, it is said that the Right Minister Min Ho started dictating the king. Since King Hee Chul had been sickly, the South faction seems to take advantage of it since the West Faction fell and the Right Minister had never been so powerful.” Hongki looked up at Jonghun. “Sounds a bit fishy doesn’t it?” he asked.

Jonghun’s forehead creased. “What do you mean by ‘fishy’?”

“Don’t you think that there is something wrong with what I’ve read?”

Understanding dawned on Jonghun. “Oh. So that’s what fishy means,” he sighed. “That is highly suspicious but the South faction had always been like that. Since my father’s reign, the South faction had been doing their best to dictate him. I guess it worked on my brother.”

Hongki nodded. “Right Minister Min Ho seems suspicious since his family became so prestigious during your brother’s rule. He must be the one who did this.”

Jonghun closed his eyes and rested his back on the chair. “That’s impossible. Right Minister Min Ho is my teacher. He’d never do this to me.”

Sighing, Hongki leaned forward. “Jonghun, if there’s one thing I learned from history, a person would be traitor to anybody, even those closest to him, just to earn power.”

“I refuse to believe this.”

“Jonghun, what would the Right Minister earn in having you dead?” Hongki asked.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

Hongki raised his eyebrow. “But why did he become so powerful when you died?”

“His family is already powerful.”

“Aish, don’t you think it’s possibly him? The one who framed you, don’t you think it’s Minister Min Ho?”

Jonghun is having a hard time believing this. Right Minister Min Ho had been his teacher and his idol since forever. If there’s one person he’d trust his life with, it’s Minister Min Ho.

When Jonghun didn’t answer, Hongki read the book again, this time silently. The prince Jonghun’s death seems to be the end of the West faction who wanted him on the throne. Left Minister Kim Chun Soo, who had also been arrested after the prince, had been exiled to Jeju and was hanged there. He was said to be Song Jonghun’s ally in assassinating the King Hee Chul. The prince’s trusted man, Choi Min Hwan, was fortunately kept alive and and was allowed to serve as an official at the Office for Administration.

“Who is Choi Minhwan?” he asked.

Jonghun looked up from inspecting Hongki’s phone on the table. “Minhwan? He’s my best friend.”

Odd. Hongki thought. How odd that a minister was sentenced to death for trying to assassinate a king but not the prince’s trusted friend. As far as Hongki knows, assistants or those who are closest to a person were first investigated. And not only did they not investigate Choi Minhwan, they gave him a position at the Office for Adminitration.

“What is it?” Jonghun asked, wondering why Hongki stayed so silent.

Hongki looked at Jonghun. “Jonghun, is Choi Minhwan very close to you?”

Nodding, Jonghun answered. “Yes, we’re almost like brothers.”

“So he is also your confidante?”

Jonghun nodded.

“But why is he not arrested or tried when you were sentenced to death?”

Jonghun reached for the book Hongki is reading and read the lines Hongki read. His eyes widened after reading. “Good thing he wasn’t tortured. I thought he suffered too. That’s a relief,” Jonghun sighed.

He is said to be smart but why is he like this? Suspicious things happened and yet this man sighs in relief. Hongki thought.

“Jonghun, don’t you think this is not just a coincidence? That maybe they planned your being framed?” he asked.

“I thought of that but… it hurts to think that the closest people to me would betray me. It… hurts so much…” Jonghun closed his eyes, suddenly feeling very tired.

I understand. What he said is true. It must hurt him to be betrayed by the people he trusts. Being hurt by those whom you love really hurts more than being hurt by those whom you don’t even know. Hongki stared at Jonghun. He felt the need to comfort him.

“Jonghun, let’s go home for now. I think you’re tired from hearing all of this.” Hongki rose from his seat and started towards the elevator.

“Hongki?”

Hongki stopped in his tracks and turned to Jonghun. “Yes?”

“Thank you very much.”

Smiling, Hongki said nothing but walked towards the elevator. You’re welcome, Jonghun. You’re welcome.

 

***

 

Jonghun woke up early and immediately went looking for Hongki. Unfortunately, Hongki isn’t around.

Where could he be?

He went to the living room and sat on the sofa. He was thinking about Hongki’s whereabouts when a strange object began ringing. He looked at it curiously, while it continues to ring. Later a voice came out of it.

“Jonghun? Are you awake?” It’s Hongki.

Staring at the machine, Jonghun asked, “Hongki? Why are you inside the machine?” He grabbed the thing and shook it. “Hongki? Are you alright in there?”

“Jonghun? You’re awake right? Anyway if you’re hearing this, I went to the market and bought some things. I’ll bring home a caramel macchiato for you, okay? Keep yourself busy but don’t ruin anything, understood?”

After that, the line went dead.

Horrified, Jonghun shook the machine. “Hongki! Where are you? Hongki!” He stared at the strange voice producing machine. He said he’s in the market. Is there a market inside this thing? That would be amazing. There must really be another world inside this.

Jonghun nodded to himself and returned the thing from the side table. He rested his head on the sofa and looked around.

This world is very different. He stood up and went around the whole apartment and was startled to find a rabbit on the floor.

“A rabbit! How could there be a rabbit here?” Jonghun pinched the animal. “It doesn’t seem alive. Have they invented a rabbit that doesn’t need to be alive?” He looked around again and this time, he saw a huge black bear at the back of the sofa.

He screamed. “A bear! Omo, what is this? Why are there bears and rabbits inside the house?” He scanned the room, looking for a weapon and found an umbrella. Jonghun carefully went towards the umbrella, not wanting the bear to notice him. When he got the umbrella, he aimed it at the bear. “You there!” he yelled at the bear. “Don’t come near or you’re dead!”

Why is it not moving? He looked the rabbit on the floor. Perhaps it is dead too. Jonghun cautiously walked towards the bear, the umbrella poised in front of him, alert if the bear makes a move. When he was beside the animal, he carefully pinched it too. It’s dead and strangely soft! But since when did bears become so soft?

“You little bear, why aren’t you moving? Aren’t you supposed to attack?” Jonghun pressed the bear’s belly and laughed when it didn’t move. I can be side by side with a bear and it’s not even moving.

“Why are you laughing?” Hongki asked curiously, standing on the doorway.

Jonghun looked up at Hongki. “Oh. You’re back from the market?”

“So you heard me.” Hongki raised the paper bag in his hands. “I bought breakfast.”

Standing up, Jonghun asked, “How can you go inside this thing?” he pointed at the telephone on the side table.

“I didn’t. We use that to communicate when we’re far from each other. Just like a cellphone.”

Nodding, Jonghun eyed the bag Hongki is putting on the dining table. “What’s that?”

“Breakfast. Why were you laughing?”

“Oh, that’s because there were dead animals in your house.”

Hongki looked around his apartment. “Dead animals? Where?”

“There,” Jonghun pointed at the bear and the rabbit.

It’s Hongki’s turn to laugh. “Jonghun, those were stuffed toys. They are not animals but merely toys.”

“Toys? But they look so… real,” Jonghun whispered, eyes widened.

Hongki pinched Jonghun’s cheek. “You are so cute.”

“Did you just pinch me?”

“Yeah, why?” Hongki asked.

Jonghun grinned. “Cause I’m going to pinch you too.” He pinched Hongki’s face and stretched it sideways. “There you go. You look better.”

Hongki swatted Jonghun’s hands. “That hurts, idiot.”

“But you did the same to me.”

Hongki smiled and sat on the dining chair. “It’s only okay when I do that.”

“That’s unfair,” Jonghun whined.

“Shut up and eat.”

Jonghun’s eyes widened. “Did you just order me? A prince?”

Sticking out his tongue, Hongki said, “In this house, I’m the prince. Understood?”

Jonghun scoffed before he bowed and said in a mocking tone, “Yes, Your Highness.”

Hongki looked down on his food, trying to hide his smile. “Now sit down and eat.”

 

 

 

“Earlier,” Hongki said while they were watching TV after eating. “I read an article from a magazine and it says that there’s been a recent find at Pusan of papers of your family—and the papers date from the sixteenth century. The papers are now being studied by a man named Song Seunghyun, a young man with an impressive list of credentials, then . . . it says that Mr. Song, who is majoring in History, hopes to prove that Choi Jonghun, who was accused of treason at the beginning of King Hee Chul’s reign, was actually innocent.’”

Jonghun looked away from the television and stared at Hongki. “Why would he do that?”

Hongki shrugged. “Probably to prove something. You know how scholars and historians are. Small changes they made in history seems gigantic to them.”

Nodding, Jonghun looked at the TV again; watching a dozen men struggle to get a round object in their hands then put it inside a ring-shaped thing on both sides of the rectangular wooden floor. He pointed at the TV. “What are they doing?”

“Basketball. Anyway, this guy probably knows something. He found a diary written by Choi Minhwan, your beloved friend. I told him I’d need his help for my paper and he cheerfully told me he’d be glad to help me.”

Jonghun stared at Hongki. “Does that mean…?”

Hongki nodded. “We might get an information about who the traitor is.”

Smiling, Jonghun said, “Your world is amazing. You get to know all things that happened in the past just like that,” he snapped his fingers. “If I’d be given a chance, I’d probably stay here.”

Hongki stared at Jonghun’s face, studying it. “Jonghun, what if you’re here because of something else? What if you can’t go back to your time?” he asked.

Jonghun shook his head. “I must go back.”

“Yeah right, but what if you’re not allowed to go back?” Hongki persisted.

“Then what’s the point of coming in here to solve my case if I can’t go back?”

“That’s why I’m asking if you are here for a different reason.”

Jonghun gave Hongki a long look before, “What could be another reason?”

“I don’t know.” Shrugging, Hongki looked at the tv, thinking about Jonghun.

 

A/N

 

I give all of you permissions to hate me. Gosh, I'm so terrible for not updating for such a long time. I'm very sorry, guys *puppy eyes.

I'm currently on vacation in my cousin's house, which unfortunately is so primitive they have internet connections as slow as snail. I can't update for asianfanfics.com won't load due to the slow connection (I blame my cousin for taking me to her house). Good thing I found out recently that their neighbor has a stronger connection and tada! 

Anyway, this update isn't much good but I hope you'll like it. I promise to edit it when I have time. I'll update my other stories sooner and really, I am sorry.

To crux801, I hope you'll like the part about the toy. I don't know if it's alright, sorry :)