Jong Hun

Misplaced in Time

 

 

They walked together down the wide sidewalk in silence, the man looking in shop windows, at the people, and at the cars on the street. His handsome face wore such an expression of astonishment that Hongki could almost believe he had never seen the modern world before. He asked him no questions, but often halted for a moment to stare at a car or at a group of young girls in short skirts.
 
When they reached his apartment, Hongki put his bag down and went to the kitchen to grab some snack.

“Hey, mister, make yourself comfortable," he yelled to the man.

He grabbed a pack of chips and went to the living room. Hongki’s eyebrows knitted when he saw the man looking around his house wonderingly.

“What?” he asked.

Jonghun looked at Hongki, his eyes full of wonder.

“What is this?” he asked pointing towards the television.

Hongki walked towards the sofa and sat. He reached for the remote control and turned the tv on.

“It’s a tv, of course,” he replied drily.

Jonghun sat nearly in front of the tv, his face almost touching it. “This is magnificent. How did these strangely dressed people fit inside the box? Do you have a device to make people small nowadays?” he asked, curiosity burning in his voice.

“No we don’t have that technology yet. Maybe in the future,” Hongki answered, annoyed. Is this man suffering from chronic amnesia or something? “Hey, what’s your name?” he asked.

The man stood up and bowed. “My name is Song Jong Hun of the Songs of the royal family,” Jonghun introduced.

Hongki’s mouth fell open.

“Your name… it’s very familiar…” Hongki rose from his seat and walked towards the bookshelf. He grabbed his history book and opened it, scanning the pages. He stopped when he the right page.

“This person! He looks like you!” He showed the man the book and pointed at a portrait.

Jonghun glanced at the portrait and said, “Yes, that is I.”

Hongki’s eyes widened. “No, it can’t be. He must be your great great great great grandfather. I don’t listen to news that often but I’d have heard of a time machine being invented, which I didn’t.”

“I, sir, didn’t think it was possible as well. I merely heard your voice and awakened at this place after I passed out.”

Hongki’s eyebrows meet at the center. “Then… how…?”

Jonghun shook his head. “I don’t know either. But I know only you could help me go back since your the one who brought me forth.”

 

“I am not a wizard,” he practically shouted at him. “I do not practice black magic, and I certainly don’t know how to send people back and forth in time. You’ve imagined all of this.”
 
Jonghun merely raised his eyebrows. "Who rules this land now?"
 
Hongki breathed in and out before answering. This man is exasperating. "Korea, South it is, is a presidential republic," he answered.
 
"Presidential? What does that mean?"
 
"South Korea has a government divided into three branches: executivejudicial, and legislative. The executive and legislative branches operate primarily at the national level, although various ministries in the executive branch als--"
 
"Wait," Jonghun  cut Hongki's words off. "You have no king?"
 
Hongki shook his head. "Nope. No king."
 
"This cannot be true! Kings are supposed to rule the land! I don't believe you. In my times, kings rule the land."
 
"You don't have to believe me. It's the truth. Anyway, you are history."
 
For a moment, Jonghun was thoughtful. "History, yes. All that has happened to me, my family, is now history," he turned to Hongki, eyes bright. "Perhaps it is written?"
 
“I see,” Hongki said, smiling. “You think maybe you were sent forward to find out something? How intriguing,” he said, then frowned. “I mean if it were possible for a person to have been sent forward, it would be intriguing. But since it isn’t possible, it’s not.”

Jonghun ignored his words. "Perhaps you know something that I must find out." He moved to stand next to him. "What do you know of the king's order? Who has told him, my brother, that I planned to assassinate him? Is it written?"

"Uh... maybe?"

"I must find it," Jonghun said fiercely. "I must know who told him. I must return to my time and clear my name. My brother is being lied to."

"You said the king ordered something... what is it?" Hongki asked, curious.

Why am I cooperating with this man?

"It was an order to execute me."

Hongki shivered. He forgot the question of whether he was or was not from another century. “Tell me what happened,” he whispered.

 

A/N

 

Okay, atleast I made a bit of progress with the story. A bit. :))

 

Thanks for reading, I love you already. I'll update soon, 'kay?

 

Bye!~