History

Misplaced in Time

 

 “Since my brother is to rule, I have to stay outside the palace ofcourse. There are those who sees me as a threat to the throne. My brother is sickly and has no heir so they find him weak. But there are those who wants to kill me so I wouldn't have to be a threat. My brother can easily be persuaded by someone although he is a good ruler. I was told that my life is in peril and I gathered my guards to protect myself. He was..."

For a moment he looked into the distance, his eyes angry and hard. “The king was told by someone . . .” Pausing, he took a breath. “He was told that the army I was gathering was to attack the palace and dethrone him."

"I was imprisoned and and was given a hasty trial. It was very painful-- to see my brother's eyes glimmer of hate for me when I wouldn't even think of such... atrocity. He gave a decree to execute me. I had but six days before I was to be beheaded when you... when you called me here."

"Then why look so sad! You should be happy," Hongki said. "Beheading. That's disgusting," Hongki made a face.

"My mother told me that she has a lead as to who might have betrayed me," Jonghun continued. "I must return and prove that I am not guilty or my mother will live in shame."

Hongki thought about what Jonghun told him.  Of course none of what he was saying was real, but if it were, perhaps there was something to be learned today from the history books. “Do you have any idea who told the king your guards was going to be used to take his throne?”

Jonghun put his hands in his head in despair. "I am not sure. But when you brought me forward, I was writing a letter to my mother. I remembered a man who five years ago might have held grudges against me. Perhaps he..." Jonghun left his sentence hanging.

Hongki almost reached out to touch Jonghun's hair but he stopped himself. He reminded himself that this man’s problems were not his, and there was no reason on earth he should spend his time trying to help Jonghun find out why he—or maybe one of his ancestors—had been unjustly accused of treason.

On the other hand, the idea of injustice made Hongki’s skin crawl. Then he remembered something from his History class.

“His name is Song Jong Hun. He is the second child of the Joseon King Su Jong. His older brother replaced their father as king. But because King Heechul was weak, many tried to depose him with his brother Jong Hun. The king’s allies were worried so they accused Prince Jong Hun of treason. He was tried and was sentenced guilty, so he was hanged for that crime. It is unknown if the said prince really want to depose his brother but many people said that Prince Jong Hun was really close to his older brother so it is impossible for him to try and dethrone the king."

"What did you say your name was again?" Hongki asked the man.

"Jonghun. Song Jonghun-- that's my name."

"Oh," Hongki looked at his book again. Its page is still on the portrait of the man who looks like the man in front of him. Under the picture a caption is written in bold letters.

The second prince Song Jonghun. Died of heart failure while in custody. Was accused of treason and was supposed to be executed when he was found dead in the prison cell.

Oh. My. Gosh. History changed. It was different from how he heard it from Shinhye during their class. Instead of being hanged, he died of heart failure. Wow.

Hongki looked at Jonghun, his eyes alternating between the photo on the book and on Jonghun's face.

"Oh my. It is you," his eyes are wide from disbelief.

Jonghun bowed,. "Yes. It is I."

"You died," Hongki pointed at his book. "My history book says they found you dead on your cell."

Jonghun's eyes widened. He grabbed the book from Hongki's hand and read the article about him aloud.

“'The prince was found guilty of treason and sentenced to be beheaded. There was some doubt of Prince Jonghun's guilt, but all investigation stopped when’ ”—Jonghun's voice lowered—“ ‘when three days before his execution the young prince was found dead in his cell. He had been writing a letter to his mother when he apparently died of a heart attack. He was found with his head face down on a table, the letter to his mother’”—Jonghun looked up and whispered—“‘unfinished.’”
 
Hongki sat back on the sofa, suddenly feeling very tired.
 
"It's you then. The prince on that book. It is you," Hongki sighed. "I never thought this is possible but..." he looked at Jonghun, "here you are."
 
Jonghun kneeled in front of Hongki. "You must help me. I must return to my time and clear my name. My mother must have suffered."
 
Hongki nodded. "Yes. I will help you." It is by that time that he realized Jonghun is telling the truth. He feels that way towards his family as well. He can hear the passion in Jonghun's voice. Hongki looked at Jonghun, studying his clothes.
 
"Uh... we must go to a library to read articles about you," he said. "But--"
 
"But what?"
 
"You must change your err... outfit," Hongki gestured at Jonghun's clothes. He is wearing a dark red dalryeongpo, a round collared robe worn by princes who are sons of the king's concubines  during the Joseon dynasty. Hongki is sure of it although he doesn't pay much attention to his professors.
 
Jonghun looked down at his robe. "Why, if I may ask?"
 
"People nowadays don't wear clothes like that," Hongki gestured at his clothes.
 
Jonghun nodded. "Ah, yes, I've noticed."
 
Hongki stood up and went to his room.
 
"Ya! Come here!" he shouted from his room.
 
Jonghun walked towards Hongki's room. When he got there, Hongki is holding a pair of jeans and a sweater.
 
"You can wear this," Hongki threw him the pants and the jacket. He catched it and looked at Hongki.
 
"What?" Hongki asked.
 
"Aren't you supposed to help me dress?"
 
Hongki'e eyes flared. "Aigoo! You can't ask me that. You are also an ordinary man in this time. Presidential, remember?"
 
The prince sighed and looked at the strange clothes in his hand. He inspected them but he can't see how he's going to wear it. He looked at Hongki in exasperation.
 
"You must help me for I do not know how to wear this things," he commanded.
 
Hongki let out a breath before walking towards Jonghun. He grabbed the clothes from the prince's hands.
 
"This hole," he pointed at the neck hole, "is for your head. This two are for your arms, got it? Now, remove your robe and--" Hongki cut his sentence when Jonghun removed his robe. "Wow. Isn't that too much?" he asked when he saw that under the dalryeongpo, there is another plain white robe.
 
"It's how we wear it."
 
Hongki smirked. "Sure. Remove that, we don't wear that either."
 
Jonghun untied the ribbons and let the robe slipped out of his shoulder.
 
Hongki whistled. "You must have trained a lot," he said when he noticed that Jonghun's muscles are firm. He threw the pants and sweater at Jonghun. "You know how to wear the pants right?" Jonghun nodded. "Good. I'll be outside."
 
 
 
A/N
 
Update~
 
I love you for reading this ~ :))