Step by Step

The Only Exception

 

Yerin was walking towards her classroom. She entered her classroom and raised an eyebrow when she saw her table was surrounded by some students in her class. She slowly approached her seat, makes them quickly left her table.

Yerin stopped after seeing a bouquet of white calla lily on her table. First, she brightened at the sight of her favorite flowers and wondered who gave it to her.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to thank me.” Yerin immediately put the bouquet on the table and spun around. Her face fell after she realized that it was from him, Oh Sehun.

Sehun slowly approached her with his hands in his pockets as he smiled. For Yerin, he looked like an idiot.

Sehun raised an eyebrow, realizing that Yerin wasn’t very happy, “Why? Aren’t you happy? Your mother said that you loved it.”

Yerin glared at Sehun. She smacked the bouquet on his chest and without say anything, she sat down on her chair and read a book.

Sehun made a face, “Such a rude girl! I gave you your favorite flower and you don’t thank me?” Yerin still silent as she pretending that Sehun wasn’t there. Sehun hissed, “Yah, say something! Crybaby!”

“Here you are!” A hand grabbed Sehun’s collar from behind. “Chanyeol! Kai!” Sehun said.

Chanyeol sighed, “What are you doing here, Oh Sehun? Let’s go!” Chanyeol immediately dragged Sehun out of the classroom. “Wait, Chanyeol! Let me go! Yah, Kim Yerin!”

Yerin rolled her eyes and relieved. She secretly thanked Sehun’s friends. Yerin looked up and met eyes with Kai who was still there. *Those cold eyes… Kim Jongin, Sehun’s cousin.* Yerin turned away as she back to read her book.

Kai smirked, “You’re not a crybaby anymore… Your eyes, Looked like mine.” He said as he took a flower from the bouquet and turned to Kaeun. Shocked, Kaeun immediately hid herself behind Ahyoung. “What made you become like this? But, You still looked so pathetic….” He added as he slipped a flower into Kaeun’s ear that makes her screamed inwardly.

Yerin squeezed her book. She tried not to reply his words and pretending that he wasn’t there also.

“And, lonely… You will be always a loner, Kim Yerin.” Kai smirked again and headed out of the classroom. He waved at the girls who were staring at him as they fangirling over him.

“Are you okay, Kaeun?!” Sora asked Kaeun immediately. “Do you want to pass out? I will catch you.” Ahyoung coldly offered.

Kaeun’s face blushed and reddened like a fire. She spontaneously crouched as she covered her face, “Sora-ya, Ahyoung-ah… Eottoke? He makes me crazy!”

Sora chuckled, “You’re in love, Kaeun.”

Yerin laughed in disbelief. She watched ‘her friends’ who were busy asking Kaeun because she really likes Kai. But, why don’t they ask her about her condition? They clearly heard what Kai said to her. *They said they’re my friends to my oppa, but what? They didn’t even ask me that I’m okay or not… I can’t trust anyone else beside grandma, aunts, and my oppa in this world…*

Yerin stood up of her seat and headed to the door. Kaeun turned to her, “Yerin, Where are you going? The first lesson will be start soon! Yerin-ah!”

Yerin didn’t answer and walked out of the classroom. She looked up and saw a map of this school. Because she’s new in this school, she doesn’t know anything. She pointed how to get to the rooftop and then headed to there.

When she arrived, there was nobody. She slowly closed the door and carefully sat down, leaning on the wall.

She took out of her phone and looking at her picture with her mother. Slowly, her tears flowing down and soon, she cried and sobbed, *I hate myself like this. Why should I be like this? Why should I look so miserable? I hate… I hate myself so much.*

 

-----

 

It was the break time. Kaeun and others were very worried because Yerin still hasn’t returned.

“Yah, Where do you think Yerin going? What if something happened? Should we tell Suho sunbae?” Kaeun looked to Sora and Ahyoung in anxiety.

Ahyoung hissed, “Let her! I don’t like her attitude, she’s rude. Forget her and let’s have lunch.” Kaeun gaped at her bestfriend, “Why are you talking like that?! She’s our friend and Suho sunbae told us to be friend with her, he even thanked us to be Yerin’s friend. Remember? It’s means, Yerin is—maybe she’s a weak girl. That’s why her brother was very worried about her!”

“That makes sense.” Sora suddenly said as she supported her chin, “I think there has been something between Kim siblings, Oh Sehun, and Kai. And seemed Kai didn’t like Yerin?”

“That’s not our business.” Ahyoung rolled her eyes. “Ahyoung!” Kaeun whined.

“Yerin isn’t here?” A voice suddenly said. The three of them turned at the same time. “Se-Sehun sunbae!” Kaeun gasped.

Sehun tilted his head and searching for Yerin, “Where is Yerin? You three are her friends, right?”

Sora and Kaeun looked at each other. Kaeun gulped as she gathered her courage, “Yerin left after Kai sunbae said something to her this morning and she hasn’t returned yet!” Kaeun said breathlessly. She hugged Sora and whispered, “I did it!”

Sehun was paused. “What did he say?”

“Euhm… Something like Yerin is a loner, crybaby, pathetic…. I think it was a little harsh. However, Yerin seemed like she’s a weak girl.” Sora said and Kaeun nodded in agreement.

*That stupid Jongin!* Sehun sighed. He looked up and smiled to them, “Thanks. Don’t worry, I will look for her.” “Err, Sunbae…” Kaeun called. Sehun stopped and turned around, “Don’t you dislike her? I mean… When the first time you and Yerin…”

“I just loved to . But now, I wanted to be friend with her.” Sehun replied with a smile and ran out of the classroom.

 

----

 

The first place that Sehun looked was the rooftop. He didn’t know why but he thought that when students were sad in the school, they will went to the rooftop.

Sehun opened the door of the rooftop and looked around. Then he looked down and found Yerin was sleeping as she leaning on the wall as her head was nodding to the front.

Sehun softened and laughed to see it. Sehun bent down and crouched in front of her. He watched the sleeping Yerin and his expression softened again. “Your heart is still weak, huh?” He whispered.

Yerin slowly opened her eyes and the first person she saw was Oh Sehun. Yerin startled and kept her head away but suddenly, her head collided with the wall behind her. “Ah!” Yerin winced in pain as she held her head.

Sehun blinked, “Stupid!” Sehun scolded and put his hand on Yerin’s hand. Yerin was shocked and watched Sehun who checking her head. She didn’t understand why Sehun suddenly became like this.

Sehun realized that Yerin was watching her. He stopped checking on her head and sat down next to her.

The both of them were silent. But somehow, Yerin didn’t want to move from that place. Her body suddenly became stiff as Sehun sat next to her.

“Forgive him, that stupid Jongin.” Sehun suddenly said, “You know him, don’t you? I admit that his mouth was rude, but he’s a good person.”

Of course, Yerin didn’t reply and remained to be silent. Sehun sighed and turned to Yerin, “Your heart is still weak, right? So… From now on, I will try not to say something rude to you.”

Yerin immediately turned to him as he said like that. “I sincerely want to be friends with you. I don’t want to see you alone and I want to take care of you.” Sehun added.

Yerin looked away as her face blushed, *He must be kidding, right?*

Sehun softly smiled and chuckled, “It’s okay. Step by step, I will make you talk to me.”

Yerin hugged her knees to her chest and looked down but secretly smiled. She can felt that Sehun being sincerely to her. But she also didn’t want to easily trust him. “You don’t believe me, do you? I know.” Sehun spoke again. “But that’s okay, by the way… your friends are worried.”

Yerin shook her head. Such as a sign language, Sehun was able to understand and suddenly said, “No? Ah, You don’t believe them too.” Yerin turned to Sehun again with a confused look. Sehun blinked, “But it’s true, They are worried. Yah, It’s good that you can’t trust someone easily. But it’s not good for you to be like this too. You have to leave your own world and take a look for another world. It is… the outside of your own world, Yerin.” Sehun said with a smile.

Yerin turned away again, *I don’t know… I don’t understand… Why you and Junmyeon oppa said the same thing but still, I don’t understand.*

Yerin suddenly paused when she felt a hand rubbed her head. She turned to Sehun and watched his side view, she admitted that Sehun is very handsome.

“That’s okay, Little by little… You can understand it.” Sehun said and kept rubbing her head. Yerin softened, somehow she likes the way Sehun did it for her. “Let’s go back, Aren’t you hungry?” Sehun asked.

Sehun stood up and held out his hand to Yerin. Yerin looked up and blinked at Sehun who was smiling to her, “Step by step.” Sehun mouthed.

Hiding her blushing face, Yerin accepted his hand as he holding her hand, *Mom… Can you tell me what I feel right now? I’m so confused.*