Years...

The Only Exception

 

“Eomma! Eomma!”

The seven years old Yerin cried like there was no tomorrow. She cried, calling her mother as she walked around the house. The maids have been tired to persuaded her to calm down and asked her to stop crying, but Yerin refused and kept crying.

Yerin still couldn’t believe that her mother really left her. Her mother died because she was sick.

The maids kept looking at her as they looked at each other, they gave up. Yerin didn’t want to stop crying and they didn’t know what to do. Even Mrs. Kim went to somewhere because of Yerin. She told the maids to make her shut up until she returned but the maids really can’t do it.

“Where is my mother…” Yerin cried again as she sank on the floor and sobbed. She knew it will be hard for her when her mother died, she was afraid. Everyone hated her and thought that her mother was a tricycle that came into the relationship of Mr. Kim and Mrs. Kim.

A hand with a handkerchief suddenly appeared in front of her face. Yerin immediately stopped crying and looked up to see who is in front of her, “Stop crying.” A 8 years old Suho said, “You’re crying like anything, Your mother will not comeback.”

Yerin didn’t stop crying, but she was even more tears. “I don’t want to, I want to be with mommy.” Yerin sobbed and cried out.

Suho looked up to see the maids covered their ears and began to leave the living room. He sighed and wiped Yerin’s tears with his handkerchief, “Don’t cry anymore, You still have me and Daddy. I will always be with you, Yerin.”

She shook her head and cried strongerly, “You hate me, Everyone hates me!” Suho smiled and softly shook his head, “No one hates you, We all love you. Believe me, This time… I’m always behind you, right? I never left you at all.”

Yerin stopped crying and blinked at him. Suho hugged her tightly, “Don’t be afraid, don’t be sad anymore. I will not leave you because I love you. You’re my sister and a brother will continue to protect his sister… Forever.”

“Fo…Forever?” Yerin whispered and Suho nodded, “Yes, Forever.” He pulled back and held out his pinky finger, “Promise,”

Yerin slowly smiled and unified their pinky fingers, “Promise.”

“Agashi…. Agashi,”

Yerin slowly opened her eyes and bewildered. She looked up as she confused and looked around, but once she saw a maid standing at the door of her room, she finally realized that now she was in Korea, at her father’s house and not in China anymore.

Yerin sat up on her bed and stared at the Maid, she narrowed her eyes and remembered her face, It’s a maid named Sunhee. Sunhee bowed nervously to Yerin, “I’m sorry for waking you, Agashi. But Mr. Kim and his wife would return soon.” She informed.

“Is he here yet?” Yerin suddenly asked, “What? Oh, he will come not long anymore.” Sunhee replied. Yerin shook her head, “Not them… but, Junmyeon oppa.”

“Oh, Dolunim? He will come with them.” Sunhee blinked innocently. Yerin mouthed an ‘o’ and nodded in understanding. Sunhee bowed at her and left.

Yerin stood up of her bed and walked towards a mirror as she looked herself, She remembers how she fell asleep from exhaustion.

After she entered her room a few hours ago, she was immediately cleaned up and lie down on the bed until she fell asleep. Then she went back dreaming about her childhood, how she began to believe her brother. Kim Junmyeon.

Yerin walked downstairs to the first floor and walked out of the house. She looked around and found the flower garden. Beaming, she ran towards that place.

This place has always been a favorite place for her in this house. She remembered once when her mother was alive, she always played here and took care of these flowers with an uncle who once served to keep this place. But after seeing Seongho, Yerin knew that that uncle wasn’t working here anymore.

“Calla lily!” Yerin beamed when she found her mother’s favorite flower and also her favorite. She remembered how happy her mother when she chose White Calla Lily as her favorite.

“White Calla Lily symbolizes magnificent beauty and innocence. And this flower also symbolizes purity, holiness, and faith.”

Smiling, Yerin smelled fragrance from the flowers. *This garden is very beautiful and immaculately maintained! I really have to thank him, What was his name again? Right, Seongho oppa.*

Yerin spun around and stiffened when a black car entered the house. With heart pounding, Yerin ventured to look at the car. A guy in uniform neatly out of the car and looked up, he froze when he saw you.

Mrs. Kim was confused why his son suddenly stopped walking, she followed his gaze and her shoulder fell, she is really back.

“My princess!” The voice of Mr. Kim snapped them off. Mr. Kim walked towards Yerin and slowly smiled, and even moved by his only one daughter’s beauty. “Yerin… You look a lot like your mother, Beautiful.” He rubbed Yerin’s cheek lovingly and then hugged her tightly.

Yerin’s expression softened as she put her hands on her father’s back. She closed her eyes, felt again the warmth of a father. *Dad….*

They pulled back and smiled at each other. Yerin turned away as Mrs. Kim walked closed to them, “Welcome back, It has been a long time.” She coldly said. Yerin nervously bowed but didn’t say anything. She turned to Suho, who had been silent and stared at her.

Yerin was very nervous. She afraid that Suho didn’t want her to be here, in the same house with him again. She was afraid if Suho hated her because she never reply to any email from him. There was a silence for a long time until Suho broke the tense atmosphere with a bright and gentle smile on his face as he said, “Welcome home, Yerin.”

Heart skipped a beat, Yerin stared at her brother blankly. But then, she slightly smiled to him, “Thank you.” She whispered.

“So, My princess… How was China? Do you have friends there?” Mr. Kim asked as he wrapped his arm around Yerin’s shoulder. Yerin bit her lips, “I do.” She replied but lied to her father.

Yeah, lied.

She didn’t have any friends there. Maybe her father thought that she might have changed, but Yerin has not changed at all and afraid to be start something.

“While you’re there, Did they treat you well? Your grandmother and aunts.” Mr. Kim asked again. Yerin nodded, “They did.” *And I miss them already.*

Yerin glanced at Suho, he was silent and she only heard him speak once. “I can’t wait finally we can have dinner together again. I miss you so much, My Princess.” Yerin turned her face to see her father’s face, he showed a wise and gentle smile. Yerin softened and relieved. In the end, her father didn’t really forget her as long as she assumed.

Mrs. Kim glanced at Yerin in dislike. She always disliked her, since she stepped into this house for the first time with her mother. And she was getting very annoyed with Yerin because her face really resembled with Choi Moonhee, Yerin’s mother. She secretly hissed and walked passed Yerin and Mr. Kim.

Yerin’s face changed as Mrs. Kim passed her. She immediately looked down, she knew that Mrs. Kim always disliked her.

“Well, We’ll see you later at dinner. We have to clean up our body,” Mr. Kim winked and left first.

Yerin and Suho were silent in awkwardness. It be weird because they had been not seen for a long time, for years, they separated.

“See you later,” Suho suddenly said, makes Yerin lifted her chin up. She nodded nervously and turned around as she quickly walked upstairs to her room.

 

----

 

Yerin was sitting in her room balcony terrace with her legs dangling down. She never realized that his father’s house was very broad.

She put her hands on fence as she looked down to the pool below her. Once she was with her mother, her room wasn’t here but on the first floor, she never seen what kind of pool if viewed from above. She laughed to herself, feel stupid.

Suddenly, there was a bouquet of white calla lily. Her eyes rounded in surprise and immediately looked up, Suho was smiling to her with a bouquet of white calla lily in his hand.

“Oppa…” Yerin whispered in disbelief as slowly she took the bouquet, “You still remember…”

Suho chuckled and sat down next to her with his legs dangling down like her. He turned to her, “Of course, I still remember what your favorite.”

Yerin smiled and smelled it, “Thank you, I really like it.”

“How are you?” He asked, looking forward. “Why didn’t you reply to my emails? I thought you’re angry with me, I’m so afraid.”

“I’m sorry, I just…” Yerin stopped and didn’t want to continue her words, *I know you know why, oppa.* There was a silent between them. Suho then cleared his throat, “Do you remember? I’ve told you that I was the student council president, right?”

Yerin nodded in wonder as she kept looking at Suho. Suho smiled, “I have another present for you.” He said, standing up and walked to Yerin’s study table and took a female uniform as he lifted it and showed to Yerin, “Your uniform!”

Yerin stood up and approached him, “My uniform? We’re going to the same school?” “Of course.” Suho said, “Do you remember our kindergarten? Chungsik Kindergarten.”

Yerin nodded again, blinked innocently. Suho smiled more, “Chungsik Academy, One of the best Academy in Gangnam. Our high school and our Kindergarten are the same foundation. And there is one more good news, Chungsik Academy is father’s now.”

Yerin’s eyes rounded, didn’t think that her father is very successful now. More successful than before. But then Yerin’s face changed again, she remembered how unhappy she was when in that Kindergarten. “I hated that Kindergarten.” She murmured, “What if nothing has changed?”

Suho’s expression softened, “There is changed,” Suho turned around Yerin’s body to the mirror, “Look at you, You were very small and short in the past. But now? You grow up to be a beautiful girl.”

Yerin blushed and stared at Suho from the mirror, “You already know the right thing… that I’m lying, right?” Yerin walked away and sighed, “I lied to Dad.”

Suho followed her, “Why did you lie? I know you’re still the same as before, You haven’t changed at all. You didn’t have any friends in China, Didn’t you?” Yerin smiled and turned to Suho, “As long as you’re in my world, I don’t need friends.”

Suho paused. Yerin paused, she covered and turned away. She remembered why she was afraid to meet with Suho. Because she had something that she accidentally did and hoped that Suho would never talk about it.

Suho shook his head with a smile, “You can’t go on like this,”

KNOCK KNOCK

Suho and Yerin turned toward the door. Sunhee bowed and looked up to them, “Dinner is ready,” She said and left. Suho nodded to the door and gave Yerin a smile, “Come on, I’m starving.”

Yerin quickly grabbed Suho’s wirst, makes him stopped and spun around, “Oppa…” Yerin softly called, *You’ve forgotten it, right? It was three years ago and I hope you didn’t read it all.* Suho smiled and patted her head, “You really miss me huh?”

He chuckled and walked first. When he came out of her room, his smile disappeared, *I hope I can repeat the time, When father brought you for the first time to the house… I hope I hated you at that time. So you hated me back.*

 

----

 

 

“Wow, Her achievement in China is very good.” Principal Jung finished reading Yerin’s all achievement in China. She smiled to Mrs. Kim, “I don’t know that you have a daughter, She’s beautiful.”

Mrs. Kim smiled back and turned to Yerin who had been admired the room of the Principal and she beamed when she found Suho’s big picture as the smartest student for two years on the wall, *Oppa must be very clever!*

“Of course, she and Junmyeon are smart and talented,” Mrs. Kim smiled to Principal Jung, “I know that. Ah, the bell for the first lesson has sounded. Why don’t we go to your class, Yerin?” Principal Jung said.

Yerin took her eyes off of Suho’s picture and immediately turned to Principal Jung, “Okay.”

“I gave her to you, Principal Jung.” Yerin turned to Mrs. Kim, “I hope she’s okay and NOTHING hurt her here.” Mrs. Kim added.

Principal Jung nodded in understanding, “I’m very sorry about yesterday.” She bowed, “That’s okay, I can’t punish that boy because his father is my husband’s business friend. Thank you,” Mrs. Kim turned to Yerin briefly and then walked out of the room.

Yerin bowed at her and lifted her chin up, she saw Seongho gave her encouragement and then followed Mrs. Kim. She smiled a little, remembered how Seongho always said ‘Fighting, Fighting Agashi!’ this morning.

“Follow me, Yerin.” Principal Jung said and Yerin immediately followed her.

DRAP DRAP DRAP

Yerin spun around when she heard the sound of running feet—that they should not be done in Corridor.

“Get off!” A voice shouted and Yerin’s widened her eyes when that guy suddenly bumped into her, “Ack!” Yerin suddenly fell to the floor.

Principal Jung’s eyes widened in surprise, “YERIN!” A voice shouted as he saw her sister fell down. Suho immediately ran towards her, “Yerin! Are you okay?!” Suho helped her to sit and rounded his eyes when she saw blood came out of her nose, “Are you okay? Let me see.”

“Aw…” Sehun rubbed his elbow as he winced and stared at Yerin, who was being checked by Suho. “OH SEHUN! YOU AGAIN!” Principal Jung snapped.

“Ups,” Kai laughed as he helped his cousin to his feet again. Sehun smoothed himself and stared to Principal Jung, “Yeah, It’s me again.”

“Look what you just did! You hurt her!” Principal Jung scolded him. Sehun turned to Yerin who is now standing up and stared at him in puzzlement. Sehun raised an eyebrow as he turned to Principal Jung again, “Then what should I do?”

“Apologize.” Suho suddenly said with his cold tone. Yerin turned to him, surprised to see his cold side, “You should apologize because you hurt her.”

“Wow,” Sehun and Kai laughed and looked at Suho in a mocking way, “You never told me to apologize every time I hurt you. Yet for her, you told me to apologize?”

“Yes, You heard me.” Suho patiently said. “You can hurt me as you like but not to her.”

“You know I don’t apologize. Right, Jongin?” Sehun asked to Kai and Kai smirked, “Yeah, right, Sehun~~”

Suho growled and glared at Sehun, “Apologize. Now.” *Uh, no.* Yerin quickly stepped in front of Suho and gave him a pleaded look, she didn’t like fuss. Yerin then turned to Sehun with her cold eyes, “You don’t have to. But be careful next time, You know the rules, should not be running in the Corridor.”

Kai suddenly laughed, “Girl, We don’t follow the rules.”

“OH SEHUN! KIM JONGIN!” Principal Jung snapped, “Go to your class, NOW!”

“Aish,” Sehun hissed, “Okay okay old woman, You are so noisy.” Principal Jung gaped at them in disbelief. Sehun glanced at Yerin briefly and then walked away with Kai, *Like seeing a Déjà vu.* shrugging, he continued to walk.

“Are you okay?” Suho worriedly asked. Yerin nodded with a smile, “I’m very okay oppa.”

Principal Jung sighed, “What should I do to those boys?” Principal Jung then turned to Yerin and Suho, “Junmyeon, You go back to class. I will take care of Yerin.”

Suho nodded, “Thank you, Principal Jung.” He bowed to her, smiled at Yerin and then walked to his class.