Part III

The Puppetmaster

 

It's been three days since I last talked to Jonghyun, and... last saw Taemin. Jonghyun has been very good since then and he didn't even go out at night. He would always ensure that I eat something for meals even though I didn't want to talk to him. I can even feel his intense glare that was eyeing my every move whenever I'm in his sight. Pfft. So being the nice out of the nicest sister on earth, I decided to make him a cup of hot lemon drink because if I'm not wrong, he's having his elective class test today.

              Oh yes, elective class test, I'm having my mathematics test today too. Hey, that means supernatural class are also having class test? What can they test on? What does vampire eat? Ke ke.

              "Yah Kyungna!"

              "Oh hey Hyerim,"

              "You didn't greet me when you came in just now."

              "You are studying so I didn't want to disturb you..." I sighed and laid my head on the table. So that Lee Taemin is skipping school right after the first day he came in? Ugh how in the world he get in in the first place?

              "Yeah. I've never been in so much stress before. You know what's the theme this time for the supernatural class test? It's puppetmaster. PUPPETMASTER!"

              And I swear my heart skipped a beat at the name of puppetmaster. Why the hell do they choose to test on puppetmaster? I mean, there's a lot others such as...vampires? Like what kind of things vampires eat? So why puppetmaster?!

              "So what about puppetmaster?" I faked a cough and sat up straight, tilting my head to the side so that I'm facing her.

              "That's what I'm stressing about! There's like, no information on puppetmaster."

              I watched as Hyerim frowned so hard that it's like her face was going to crumple up. Just then, the homeroom teacher came in with a huge stack of papers. Ugh man, this is going to be a long lesson.

 

 

"Kyungna!"

              I was heading out from school campus when I heard Jonghyun calling after me. I just finished my mathematics test and it seemed like the test was easier than I thought. I sighed and looked around me; it was evening now because elective classes were on 5-6 after all lessons ended.

              "Yah Kyungna!"

I continued walking until I reached the road junction. That stupid Jonghyun, why is he calling me for? Isn't it obvious that I didn't want to talk to him? What for talking to someone who don't believe a that you say?

              "Noona!!"

              Suddenly, I felt something pulling me back until I landed on the ground on my . I looked up and realized a truck just sped past me and I was actually saved by...by who?

              "Omo Kyungna! What the ? I know you don't want to talk to me but you don't have to keep walking even though it's red light just to avoid me!" Jonghyun literally carried me up from the ground as he turned me around... "Hey what are you doing?!" I hissed and pushed his hands off me.

              Who pulled me just now? It's definitely not Jonghyun, he's way behind and he sprinted to me only after I fell. So who's the one? Wait, the feeling of being pulled back...?

 

And just like that, I started jogging which eventually became running until I felt something pulled me back which I fell on my on the cold hard ground. My God, did I just say that something pulled me back?

 

"Who the you are seriously?" I stood up from my seat and glare at him. He smirked, which for some reason send butterflies fluttering in my tummy.

              "Me? I'm Lee Taemin," he smiled this time, extending his hand out to me and I thought that he wanted me to walk over. But the thing was, I literally flew towards him and landed in his embrace.

 

Lee Taemin, it's him, it's definitely him! I won't forget the feeling of being pulled!

              "Kyungna!" I pushed off Jonghyun's hands once again when he grabbed onto me. I looked around the street frantically with tears welling up in my eyes. Why am I feeling so happy yet pain out of a sudden?

              "Kyungna, what's wrong?"

              I walked around aimlessly like a little kid who just got lost from her mother. I felt my chest tightening and it's so painful that I just feel like crying.

              "Yah! Don't scare me!" Jonghyun grabbed my wrist and turned me around. His worried eyes stared into mine and I instantly start crying.

              "He's here..." I mumbled. I don't really know what's happening to me because all I know is that; I felt him, he's nearby, but he's not showing up, and why?

              "Who's here?"

              "He's here...Jonghyun, he's here..." I continued to sob until the pain in my heart was so horrendous that I fell into a deep slumber.

 

 

"Noona? Kyungna," I heard the Jonghyun's voice calling for me as my eyes slowly flutter open. The familiar ceiling came into my vision and soon after, I realized I'm on my own bed.

              "What...what happened?" I muttered quietly, sitting up against the bed frame with Jonghyun's help. "You cried and you fainted."

              I cried? I did?

              "Kyungna, you don't cry. You don't cry ever since appajee and omonee left. This is seriously wrong, tell me what had happened?"

              Yeah...I almost cried in front of Taemin the last time I saw him. Oh my God I think I really cried. And the reason is because of a puppetmaster -not a human- and his name is Lee Taemin who's now missing in Action.

              "Tell you what had happened? I told you didn't I? You're the one who don't believe me."

              "What? You mean that...that creature? What is he?! Seriously Kyungna, you don't expect me to believe that creature existed do you?"

              "He's puppetmaster. PUPPETMASTER."

              "What the ? He even had a name? Puppetmaster? Seriously?"

              "HE SAVED ME JUST NOW. IF NOT YOU THINK I COULD JUST FLEW BACKWARDS?"

              "I DIDN'T SEE ANYONE BEHIND YOU. If yes, what did he use? String?" Jonghyun let out a sarcastic laugh at the end of his question.

              String? That's possible. You control puppet using string don't you?

              "Whatever it is, it's up to you to believe. Don't ing ask me what's wrong when you're the one who don't believe a that I'd said," I rolled my eyes and looked away from him.

              "Kyungna, seriously! Puppetmaster?! Really? That bull?"

              "Kim Jonghyun!" I yelled, "That's not bull, he saved my ing life. You should be grateful that I'm sitting here right now talking to you."

              "Grateful? To who? A creature that don't exist? Someone that you made up? Really? You want me to be grateful to that imaginary friend of yours? Oh well, hi puppetmaster thanks for saving my twin sister just now. Happy?" Jonghyun sighed in defeat and walked towards the door with heavy footsteps. "Anyway, I chased after you in school just now was because...thanks for the hot lemon drink, it really helps to ease everything."

              "en bastard," I cursed and sighed after that. Anyhow, just now...I really felt him. Taemin was really there. But Jonghyun said he didn't see anyone behind me. Why is he not showing up? Why am I worrying about him? Why does it seem like every time I think of him, my heart would ache in pain? There are millions of questions but who can answer them? Only him, no one but him, Lee Taemin.

              So, where is he? I swear I felt him just now. I don't know why but...I just felt him. It's like I'm connected to him or something.

 

 

My eyes flicker opened and realized that it's nightfall already. I glanced over at the wall clock and it shows 01:04. It's so late already...how long have I been sleeping? From evening when the incident happened...oh, it's not that long though. I sighed and get off the bed and started making my way to the kitchen. The apartment was dark but the light in Jonghyun's room was still on. What was he doing at this timing? Studying? Yeah maybe, exam was around the corner anyway. I made a left turn to enter the kitchen and opened the fringe to get my cup. But something caught my attention; my cup was used and I predicted that Jonghyun use it. As I reached for it, I realized the content was cold cocoa and it's my favorite drink. A small smile played on my lips as I sat down on a chair to sip on the drink.

              "I'm sorry,"

              I heard someone saying. As I looked up from the cup of cocoa, I saw Jonghyun leaning against the wall with his hands in his sweat pants pockets and his glasses almost slipping off his nose. I smiled and gestured for him to come over and take a seat. He did before pushing up his glasses.

              "Studying?"

              He nodded like a little boy. Once again, I feel that I shouldn't throw my temper on him because he's my twin, he's my dongsaeng, he's my only kin. I felt guilt rushing through every inch of my body and I just feel like ruffling his hair like how I always did when we were younger. But if I do that now, he would probably curse at me for ruining his oh-so-stylish hair.

              "At this timing?"

              "Yeah...have to work harder so that I could stand above all."

              I smiled at his reply, although he grew up, nothing about him changes. Since young he would always act like he's a player and those who won't study and don't listen in class. Who knows? Kim Jonghyun actually mugs at home so that he could win others. I still remembered what he said when he was younger; he mentioned that he wants to stand above all so that he could protect me from all the bullies.

              "But still...it's not good to stay up all night to study. It's late, you should sleep," I said before bringing the cup up to my lips.

              He nodded, pressing his lips together. "What about you? It's late so why are you not sleeping?"

              "I'm sleeping after this, not want to waste the effort of that someone who made this cocoa for me," I smiled.

              Jonghyun smiled and nodded his head before standing up, "Kyungna, although I may not believe...but if anything do happen please tell me. You know...I'm concern about you."

              "Yes mister Kim," I smiled at him when he suddenly leaned in and peck a kiss on my forehead before walking back to his room.

              Appa, umma, you see that? Your little son has grown up, into a real man. A real man that's able to take care of me.

              After a while when I finished the cocoa, I stood up and placed the cup on the counter. , I should just wash it tomorrow, I sighed. Suddenly, I felt a painful tug in my heart again. But this time I was feeling nervous, and soon, panic. My feet involuntarily walked faster, taking in long strides to the direction of my room. What...is this feeling?

              Pushing the door open, the figure standing before me made me stood rooted at the doorway.

              "Taemin..."

              He smiled, his blond hair shimmering in the dark night and his sparkling blue eyes as usual sent a shiver down my spine.

              "I'm back. You missed me?"

              Without saying a word, I ran forward to him and hugged him tight.

 

*****

Kyungna's footsteps echoed in the hallway and from the gap under the door, I saw a shadow running pass my room. What's going on? Why is Kyungna in a hurry? Quietly, I got up from the chair and sneaked out of my room into the hallway.

              "I'm back. You missed me?"

              I heard a man's voice. A man's voice?! I leaned against Kyungna's door and look through the gap because her door was left ajar. I gasped; Kyungna was actually hugging a guy. A blond hair guy...what's the name? Lee...Lee Taemin?

              I watched as they broke the hug, the guy was whispering in Kyungna's ear that I couldn't hear and she remained still. After a while, he wrapped his arms around Kyungna's waist and pulled her in for a passionate kiss.

              And I feel like I'm watching . Tch.

              But anyway, where did he come from? I didn't hear the front door being open at all. Is he really not a human? Nah, maybe it's just that I'm too tired to hear the door being opened. Forget it, I'm not going to stay here and watch as they make out. I sighed and headed back into my room.

              Staring at the ceiling for five minutes, I realized I couldn't get to sleep. This is atrocious, that blonde hair guy's image is stuck in my head. I'm not a gay so why?

              "Hmm...Because I'm a puppetmaster?"

              I immediately shoot up from the bed and stared at the figure at the foot of my bed. He stood there with a smirk plastered across his face and his head tilted to one side.

              "You know...maybe you should believe what your noona said. Like—“

              "Who are you?" I cut off his sentence before narrowing my eyes at him.

              "Me? I'm Lee Taemin, you forgot? The new transfer student in your noona's class," he smirked even wider.

              "You know I'm not asking about that."

              His smirk was gone in an instant, he blinked once and his eyes display nothing but threatening glare. "So what you want to know? About me? About the...Puppetmaster? Or about how...your noona goes head over heels over me?"

              "She won't go head over heels for you," I gritted my teeth. "Really?" He smirked again, this time a devilish smirk.

              "Don't you dare—“ I said as I stood up and grabbed for him but he beat me to it and grabbed my neck instead. Before I knew it, my foot was barely touching the ground and I'm struggling to get air.

              "Wow, you're brave. Trying to get me? I'm the puppetmaster you know?" He threw a smirk at me again and his blue eyes sparkled even brighter.

              "L-let g-go...of m-me..."

              And he did, I dropped on the ground with a thud and a spear pain shoots up my spine. Ugh .

              "Don't...don't you dare h-hurt my sister," I said while panting hard, I swear this guy is trying to kill me.

              "I won't hurt her. Puppetmaster don't hurt people," he innocently said and squatted down to meet my eye level.

              "You better don't hurt her. I love her; I love my sister even before I learnt how to walk. We're twins, we are inseparable. So if you hurt her, you're so dead."

              "Are you seriously threatening me right now? Looks like you don't know what's going on."

              "What are you talking about?"

              "You're the one that hurt her. She's hurt because you don't believe her. You're her twin yet you don't believe her. So who's the one hurting her right now?" He smirked for the last time before vanishing in the dark.

              I...I hurt her?