Part IV

The Puppetmaster

 

Last night, I forgot what had happened. The only thing I remembered was that Taemin kissed me again and suddenly I out. When I wake up again, it was morning already.

              I sighed and walked side by side with Jonghyun into the school library. Classes in the morning had ended for both of us so we decided to study together in the library before the elective class starts. Hyerim didn't come to school today and I've no idea why. Perhaps I should text her at night or something if not she would start complaining about how I'm not concern about her. Tch.

              "What's on your neck?" I asked, noticing a red mark across his neck as if someone strangled him. He shrugged to what I said as he held the door for me as we entered the library. "You know, I covered the blanket too tightly that it leaves a mark."

              I raised one of my brows but didn't get a chance to ask him what is he crapping because we were immediately greeted by a stony-faced librarian who gave us a very stern look. Both of us headed to the study section and found a table just nice for two people.

              We sat down opposite of each other as we set our bags on the table and dragged out some books. "So, where is your little boyfriend?" He asked while flipping the book opens to a certain page.

              "What? Little boyfriend?"

              "You know, that puppetmaster."

              I gave him a look before diverting my attention onto the book in front of me, "and I thought you don't believe me."

              "I do now," he said a little louder. "And why?" I asked.

              "Because I'm your twin," he exclaimed loudly, earning a few glares from the other students around us. "What's wrong with you?" I mouthed to him and at the same time give apologizing look to the students nearby.

              "Look Kyungna, I'm sorry I don't believe you whenever you talk about him. Now I do already," he sighed and looked back down on his book.

              Seriously, something must had happened to make this bastard to actually believe that puppetmaster existed. But what?

              Anyhow, Taemin didn't come to school today too. I don't know why but it seemed like no one care about him skipping classes. None of the teachers were even mentioning about him, it's like he never came before.

              He's such a mysterious guy, so mysterious that I'm...kind of attracted to him. I sighed again and stared at the words in front of me, but I wasn't reading it. I was seeing a memory of blond hair and blue eyes sparkled above a smirk. Last night, I initiate the hug and he actually whispered to me that he misses me. I can't forget the feeling of how his lips glide against mine so perfectly and...Ugh Kyungna. Stop it. Stop your ert thoughts.

              "Kyungna, please stop thinking about your little boyfriend. I'm right here," his head flew up and glanced at me. "Don't you dare think of other guy when you're with me."

              "Tch," I chuckled and smacked his head lightly. "Stop being a jerk."

 

 

Jonghyun texted me that he will be home late because he had a project meeting with his group; so I'm now going home alone and as usual, I took the same path. I don't know why, I had a feeling that...Taemin is somewhere near again.

              "Looks like you're falling in love with me," I snapped my head back and saw Taemin walking towards me with his hands in his pockets. He smirked and flipped his fringe to a side before arriving before me. "Who's in love with you?"

              Suddenly, he bent a little and met my eye level. We were dangerously close that I'm afraid that he could hear the pounding of my heart against my ribcage. "Just to remind you, you're my puppet, I'm your master. We are connected."

              I scoffed and turned my heels to walk away from him but I got pulled back when I took my third step. "I'm not yet done with my words, who say you can leave?" He whispered against my ear as his arms sneaked around my waist tightly. "So...we are connected...you can feel me and I can feel you..." He lowered his voice and it sounded so husky and y that it sends a shiver down my spine. "The more you love me...the more accurate your feeling is..."

              "T-taemin..." I mumbled but he captured my lips in his after turning me around to face him. After a while, his warm lips travelled all over my face to plant kisses here and there. I placed my palms against his chest and struggled to push him away. He pulled away from me and threw me a threatening glare, "do not disobey."

              I swallowed my saliva and remained still.

 

*****

Okay so it's finally my point of view? Seriously, I'm the main male cast in this fanfic yet I appeared lesser times than Jonghyun. Pfft, but anyway...let's get back to the point.

              Puppetmaster.

              The title that sealed me for so long...so long that I almost forgot my identity, and my identity is Lee Taemin. If not for her, I won't have remembered my name. If not for her, I won't have the chance to break out of this. Because of her, I want to be a human. Because of her, only her.

              I her hair as she slept in my arms. Her peaceful-looking sleeping face...

 

"I'm tired of being a puppetmaster," I stared into blank. "You sold your soul. You have no choice," the deep voice echoed in the dark. "It's because I want to save my baby sister! I can't possibly see her dying before me."

              "She's just your step sister. I mean...not even close to step sister. You're just an adopted."

              I sighed, I'm just an adopted. My biological parents dumped me the moment I was born. Now that I'm away from my foster parents, they don't even bother finding me. The world is so big, why isn't there a place for me?

              "So puppetmaster, here is the place for you..." The deep voice said.

              "No...Is there a way I can be a human again?"

              I could hear sighing before the deep voice spoke again, "when the time comes. You will know it."

 

So the time came...it's when I found a person that can make me remember how it feels being a human again.

              That's the most I could do, to know how it feels being a human. I can't become human anymore. That's impossible, and I don't regret exchanging my life for my dongsaeng's.

              Many years ago, when I was adopted into the family, my mother gave birth to a baby girl. She's the child that my parents have been hoping for because my mother was having difficulty getting pregnant. From then, I know, she's the only one for the family. She has to be loved, cared more than me. When one day, the doctor said that because the mother's womb wasn't healthy enough for the baby, the baby had some weird illness which was too complicated for me to know at that age, and all I know was that I had to save her. Somehow...just somehow.

              And so, I literally sold myself away, exchanging my life to prolong my dongsaeng's life. I don't mind at all, for I know that she's the hope for the family and not me. She can bring happiness to the family while I'm only a burden.

              And you know why I didn't go class? Because my dongsaeng's in Kyungna's class. It's Park Hyerim. She's my sister. I won't forget how she looks even though the last time I saw her she was only a baby. She looks beautiful and I'm glad that she's living a good life right now. Remember the time her elective class was having a test and the theme was on puppetmaster? I literally finished the paper for her because I'm controlling her. Frankly speaking, the paper was rubbish, that's not how puppetmaster was supposed to be. But anyway, she scored the highest and came in first in class.

              I sighed and looked at Kyungna's face, I will always remember how she reacts the first time I saw her. When she first landed in my arms, the perfectness was infinite. It was like she was designed to fit into me, into a perfect picture. When I'm hugging her, I felt warm, it was as if my body was generating heat itself and I felt alive again. When I'm kissing her, I felt myself heating up too; it was a sign of being alive. Yes I do love her, I don't know why but I just love her. I don't love her because she allows me to feel that I'm a human, I love her because she's Kyungna. But what's the thing that's bothering me was, she's in love with me already. And how do I know? Because I'm a puppetmaster. And why I'm bothered? Because I'm a puppetmaster. Get the point? I'm not a human; she's not supposed to love me. I'm not supposed to ruin her life by accepting her love and let her to live with me when I'm not a human to begin with. She deserved someone better, someone human.

              "Puppet...master..." She mumbled against my chest.

              I played with the tip of her hair with my fingers as I inhaled her scent.

              "Thank you Kyungna, for letting me know how it feels like to become human again," I whispered before planting a deep kiss on her forehead. My lips slowly trace down her jawline followed by landing on her neck. I it lightly to retrieve what I slipped into her neck the first day I met her. It was something that allows puppetmaster to own someone. "Forget me. The puppetmaster, Lee Taemin," I whispered.

 

 *****

"Yah Kyungna!! Wake up!"

              Jonghyun's voice rang in my ears as I open my eyes. Ugh the sunlight.

              "What time is it..." I mumbled quietly, hovering the blanket over my head to block the sunlight. "It's one."

              One? It's already one?!

              "It's one already?!" I shoot up from the bed and stared at Jonghyun who sat at the foot of my bed. "Yes it is, Kyungna, what are you doing last night? You slept till this late?"

              "I..." What was I doing last night? I can't remember a thing. Why do I feel empty right now? Like something was missing and there's a hole in my heart. Ugh whatever. "It's weekend right? Let's go have fun somewhere!" I exclaimed, earning a confusing look from Jonghyun as he stood up from the bed. "Well, if the fun place happens to be library...you do know that sem exam is round the corner right?"

              Oh yes, how can I forget about that? Gees seriously, there's a lot of things I forgot I guess. My memory just feels so empty right now that I can't think much. Well, I guess I slept a little too long? Considering that I slept in the evening and I woke up at like, one in the afternoon the next day?

              "Let's get Hyerim out too," I suggested. "Whatever."

 

 

"Kyungna! Jonghyun!" Hyerim waved at us excitedly as she ran towards us with a big bag.

              "Omo what did you bring? Your entire room?" Jonghyun scoffed as we made our way to the library entrance.

              "I've a lot of studying to do, what's your problem?" Hyerim retorted before pulling my arm.

              "Hey Kyungna, guess what? I scored the highest for my class test for elective class!" She smiled widely, "I thought I was going to fail because I was like zoned out the entire paper and before I know it, the time was already up but surprisingly my paper was completed."

              I stared at her in disbelief, is she hearing herself? She zoned out and the paper was completed? Who did it for her? The supernatural? Ha, this is unbelievable. Who the hell actually believe that supernatural existed? No way am I going to believe that. Not unless I met one.

              "And you said the theme was on?" Jonghyun held the door for us as we entered the library. "Puppetmaster," Hyerim replied.

              And I swear, my heart skipped a beat and I've no idea why. I sighed to get rid of the uneasiness in my heart and when I randomly looked down at my bag, a strand of blond hair caught my attention. I stopped in my tracks, who's blond? No one in the house is blond hair so whose hair is this?

              I carelessly picked up the hair and threw it on the ground. "Kyungna! Hurry!" Jonghyun said loudly and urged me to go up the stairs to the study rooms. "Coming!"

              "What did they test on puppetmaster?" Jonghyun and Hyerim walked in front of me and I heard Jonghyun asking her in a soft tone.

              "I don't know, I said I zoned out."

              "Then how the did you get the highest?"

              "I said I'm surprised too didn't you hear?!"

              "Yah yah yah," I stood in between them and slung my arm over Hyerim's shoulder and another one around Jonghyun's waist (since I can't reach his shoulder pfft). "It's the library. Lower your volume and stop your puppetmaster thingy. You know I'm not into supernatural stuff," I scoffed.

 

Yeah, supernatural don't exist. They don't.