Strength

Words Unspoken

 

 
He dreamed that night, about the days before.
 
About you...
 
"Hunnie!" You poked your head into his classroom, chosing to say his nickname, instead of the proper one. He was at work, darnit! The rest of the class looked up, their mouths curved in amusement. They loved it when you dropped by, because it was a chance to see their straight-laced teacher fall apart. 
 
He had blushed, refusing to look at you, instead concentrating on finishing the problem on the board.
 
"Hun-nniieeeeee..." You dragged it out, knowing it'd be a short time until he cracked. He couldn't stand bothersome things in his class. You had the day free from the office, and had come to bother your 'favorite person ever'! He'd always rolled his eyes when you trotted that sentence out. 
 
He placed the chalk on the ledge and turned sharply, walking up to you and nudging you out of the room.
 
"What. Do. You. Want!?" he asked, trying to keep his voice level. He could hear the students snickering. 
 
"I was wondering if you'd like to go to this with me!" You proudly held out two tickets towards his face, grinning from ear to ear. Puzzled, he took one, examining it-
 
"This is to see SHINee...a pop group."
 
You nodded enthusiastically. "Yah, I love them! I think you might too!" The excitement on your face had him almost saying yes immediately before he remembered someone.
 
"What about your boyfriend? Wouldn't you rather go with him?" The word left a sour taste in his mouth. You had been friends since your own high school days. You, the strange girl every one tended to look out for. Him, the strange nerd math boy off of whom everyone cheated. 
 
An instant bond. 
 
He had started to love you around college age. When you had deliberately followed him, even though nothing there had your major. He never wanted to tell you, for you always had a boyfriend, the same one throughout college. 
 
A year ago you had dumped your then-boyfriend after you caught him cheating with a girl he had met at work, and then hooked up as revenge. It was a stupid plan and you saw it for what it was a bit too late. You had been into liking, well, being with him out of guilt, before he could swoop in and get you. 
 
"No, he doesn't like SHINee...or any group for that matter," you sighed, looking down at your shoes, "He doesn't want me to go, but that night he'll be at work!" Your grin returned as Daehyun shook his head ruefully. 
 
"You want me to go so it'll be covered, don't you?" The gleam in your eyes told him he was right, and you wrapped your arms around him. 
 
"No, not only that! You're my best friend and I haven't been able to spend as much time with you, since I got with him and you got this job." You pulled back pouting and Daehyun found himself nodding before he knew what was good for him.
 
"Fine, I'll go, but keep the fangirling to a minimum." 
 
You had clapped, jumping up and down, bouncing him into another hug that stole his breath.
 
"Oh! Thank you, Hunnie!" I promise I will!" You snatched the ticket back from him, and ran down the hallway, skipping to a beat he could never hear. Shaking his head at you he returned to his classroom. He'd never understand you...
 
But there was something about that guy he didn't like....
 
He woke slowly, his eyes adjusting to the new light. 
 
It was always strange to dream about things from the past, but he was used to it by now. It was his mind trying to find clues that he had missed.
 
He just wished he had listened to himself about that man before things had gone to hell like this.
 
Looking around he noticed not much time had passed, it was only four thirty. It felt like an eternity, but it was only thirty minutes. The hospital was almost silent, except for the hum of the air conditioner and the thrum of the rain against the window. It was chilled, the right weather for this. Normally he slept better, as did you...
 
And he dreaded you waking back up. 
 
He didn't know what to say to you, didn't know how to comfort you....
 
So instead he just stared at your face, hoping with every blink that the world would change and he wouldn’t have to see the pain in your face. 
 
He was glad they gave you a sedative. At least you could now get some sleep...
 
He knew there wasn’t going to be any good dreams for a while...
 
He brushed a few pieces of hair from your face, wishing he could do the same with the last few hours. No one else he'd ever known had had to go through this. Why did the last person he'd ever want it to have to? 
 
It was unfair. 
 
He wanted to protect you. 
 
He promised to after high school. 
 
That you could always lean on him...
 
Where was his strength when you needed him?