Chapter 4

Patience

 

                "Hyukkie, I think it's going to be an extended vacation this time. My aorta walls simply are not strong enough to endure another surgery; for now, the doctors are trying an electrostatic shock defibrillator as a temporary replacement until they can perform the non-invasive coronary surgery." Donghae said, mouth twisting wryly.

 

                "I wish you could go out to the real world and not spend all day here in the hospital, Hae. You, of all people, deserve a normal life," Eunhyuk murmured, voice husky.

 

                Please, Donghae, let me be selfish this one time and keep you by my side. I don't want to let you go yet-

 

                "What are you talking about, Hyukkie? I'm perfectly fine in the hospital! I have all of my friends here: Nurse Sunny, Kangin, and the rest of the group. Most importantly, I have you-"

 

                Oh, . Does Donghae actually...? No. That's not possible. You're not right for him, Eunhyuk. Donghae deserves someone who will be there for him for the rest of his life, not for only a few months, Eunhyuk thought dismally.

 

                "-and if you haven't noticed, I can practically sense your emotions. Right now, I know that something isn't right; you're uneasy. Tell me, please, Hyukkie? Am I not your best friend? Tell me what's wrong," Donghae finished, voice thick with anxiety.

 

                "Donghae, I think we should end our friendship."

 

                "I knew you could tell me- wait, what?" Donghae yelped, panic forming in his eyes. "No, Eunhyuk, don't mess with me. You're joking, right?"

 

                Eunhyuk merely gave Donghae a blank stare, all emotions removed from his face. However, on the inside, Eunhyuk's emotions churned anxiously, constantly mixing between pure misery and self-loathing. At that moment, all he wanted to do was to pull Donghae into a hug, frantically clutching at his frail body and sticking his nose into Donghae's hair, inhaling his sweet scent.

 

                Eunhyuk wanted, no, needed Donghae. Knowing that he couldn't care for Donghae forever filled Eunhyuk with the deepest feeling of self-hatred. He had to break things off with Donghae before the other formed any type of romantic attachment.

 

                "Stop it, monkey," Donghae pleaded, using Eunhyuk's old nickname. The other boy slightly winced, but kept his composure. "You know that you don't want to do this, right? Even I-"

 

                "I want this, Donghae. I don't like you anymore," Eunhyuk said, hating the way Donghae flinched at his words.

 

                No regrets. He was going to break things off completely, giving Donghae a chance to heal. Lingering around longer would only prolong the healing process for both boys. This was one swift cut that would allow for the new growth to form.

 

                Watching Donghae's confused face slowly morph into pure tragedy nearly broke Eunhyuk's resolve. As the realization sunk in, Donghae began hyperventilating, his heart dangerously beating faster than normal.

 

                "Please, Eunhyuk. You can't do this to us. Please don't do this to me- I don't think I can handle being without you," Donghae begged, hands clutching at Eunhyuk's sleeve.

 

                Two more minutes, Eunhyuk thought. Two more minutes later, and Donghae will never talk to me again. How can I live without listening to his sweet voice? His heart, weakened from his bradycardia, will not pump enough be able to pump enough blood, sending Donghae into blackness. He won't remember anything.

 

                "Eunhyuk, please. Don't do this," Donghae gasped, his grip on Eunhyuk's sleeve becoming weaker. "I love-"

 

                With those words, Donghae's eyes rolled backwards into his head and slumped back into his wheelchair. Eunhyuk pried Donghae's hands off of his shirt and stepped away from the wheelchair.

 

                Walking over to the closest wall, Eunhyuk slammed his fist onto the Medical Emergency button. Instantly, sounds of running feet could be heard. The muffled pounding sound grew louder and louder, sending a rhythm into Eunhyuk's heart. The boy stood there, letting the pulsating beat pound into his body. His soul felt damaged, cracked, and split, constantly throbbing from the pain vibrating throughout Eunhyuk's body.

 

                Finally, the doctors burst into the room, rushing immediately to Donghae's collapsed figure. Eunhyuk was shuttled to the side by the horde of men in white lab coats working desperately to resuscitate the unconscious boy.

 

                Shooting one last glimpse towards his lover, Eunhyuk watched sadly as Donghae's limp form was swallowed up by the crowd. He let himself be pushed out the door, stumbling blindly in the darkness outside.

 

                No regrets... That was a lie. I regret not telling you that I loved you; that I would never let you go; that I would be by your side forever and always. I lied to you, Donghae, and I'm sorry. But it's over now.