Chapter 3

Patience

 

                That night, Eunhyuk insisted on taking Donghae down to the common room to celebrate. As with all over-excited monkeys, Eunhyuk was certainly no exception to the fondness of partying. Even though there was no excuse for the party tonight, it did not stop everyone living in the Cardiac Department from joining the celebration.

 

                "One shot! Let's go!" Eunhyuk shouted, encouraging his next-door neighbor, Kangin, to down the entire can of soda at once. Since alcoholic beverages were strictly forbidden from the hospital grounds, everyone made do with fizzy drinks filled with caffeine strong enough to keep several hot-blooded adolescents hyper for hours.

 

                Eunhyuk cheered as Kangin complied with his request. Suddenly, Kangin choked on the soda and sneezed upwards, spraying a fine mist into the air. Eunhyuk turned away from his friend in disgust and slipped outside of the crowd to get a breath of fresh air.

 

                Even though Eunhyuk enjoyed partying nonstop, he didn't feel comfortable if his best friend was unable to participate in the event. Eunhyuk strode over to the corner of the room where Donghae was seated in a wheelchair, fiddling with a piece of confetti.

 

                Earlier that day, Nurse Sunny had noticed a blip in Donghae's heart monitor. Therefore, the fish-boy was confined to a wheelchair for the evening. Needless to say, he was little less than peeved at not being able to join in on the fun.

 

                "Hey." Eunhyuk said, looking downwards at Donghae's face. He moved closer to the boy and brushed his bangs out of his face.

 

                "Hey."

 

                Eunhyuk knew something was bothering Donghae. Typically, Donghae didn't seem this downcast or upset. At that moment, Eunhyuk decided to intervene and confront Donghae about his questionable behavior.

 

                "So... wassup?"

 

                Smooth, Eunhyuk. Your best friend could be suffering from depression or another condition, and all you can say is 'wassup'? You have got to be the biggest idiot in the entire world. Eunhyuk thought, mentally bashing himself.

 

                "Um, Eunhyuk, can we talk? As in, somewhere private? I really need to talk to you." Donghae whispered, looking up at Eunhyuk with puppy dog eyes.

 

                "Uh... Of course! Anytime you want, Hae. Wait! I didn't mean it like that-" Eunhyuk babbled, mentally smacking himself again.

 

                Donghae merely rolled his eyes and then turned to wheel himself out of the room.

 

                "Wait! Let me do it, Hae." Eunhyuk scolded, intervening before damage could ensue. He clutched the handlebars on Donghae's wheelchair and slowly guided him through the packed crowd to the room. Donghae sat slumped in the chair, silently fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

 

                Glancing down, Eunhyuk noticed that Donghae's face was full of stress; wrinkles were between his eyebrows and his lower lip was caught between his teeth.

 

                Whoa. Donghae is biting his lip. That's actually really hot. Eunhyuk thought, eyes focused on Donghae's lower lip. Wait, what did I just think? I shouldn't be having these thoughts about my best friend. After all, isn't he straight?

 

                "Yah, Eunhyuk! Watch where you are going!" Kangin bellowed, foot nearly squashed by Donghae's wheelchair.

 

                Giggling like little girls, Eunhyuk and Donghae took off running with Kangin in close pursuit. Eunhyuk swiftly weaved between the dancing partygoers, headed directly towards the closest exit. Successfully escaping the chase, Eunhyuk immediately slowed to a walk.

 

                "Yah! What happened to your stamina? You only ran for less than two minutes and you're already tired!" Donghae chided, gently smiling at Eunhyuk. His starry eyes gazed up at his best friend with fondness and compassion, reflecting back in Eunhyuk's eyes.

 

                Completely entrapped within Donghae's gaze, Eunhyuk stared dreamily into Donghae's eyes. He has such beautiful eyes; I could gaze at these beauties for hours. Eunhyuk thought, slowly leaning towards Donghae.

 

                "Hyuk?"

 

                Donghae's voice snapped Eunhyuk out of his reverie. Blinking rapidly, Eunhyuk tried to recall what their previous conversation was about. "Huh?"

 

                Donghae chuckled lowly, then smiled at Eunhyuk. "You looked like you wanted to say something; what was it that you wanted to tell me?"

 

                Changing his mind quickly, Eunhyuk decided to ask another question.

 

                "How long are you going to stay?"

 

                Donghae eyes widened as he heard Eunhyuk's question. His eyebrows knitted together as he blinked slowly towards his friend. Swallowing nervously, Eunhyuk anxiously awaited Donghae's answer.

 

                Please tell me we will have more time to spend together, as I do not have much time left myself.