Chapter 2

Patience

 

 

                Twenty minutes later, Donghae found himself being taught the basics of table tennis. Of course, Eunhyuk was the one demonstrating each move while Donghae merely nodded from his bed.

 

                "Like this! Do you see that? You want to keep your knees loosely bent, as if you're taking a poo. Wait, you've probably never pooed standing upright. Well, I have! Anyways, this is how you stand in a ready position-" Eunhyuk lectured.

 

                Donghae burst into laughter upon hearing Eunhyuk talk about bodily functions. His eyes turned into two half-moons as he clutched his sides in laughter, smiling at Eunhyuk. Catching onto Donghae's gaze, Eunhyuk felt his heart skip a beat. He stared dazedly at Donghae laughing, watching his every movement.

 

                Just at that moment, Nurse Sunny strode into the room, brandishing a syringe. "Is everything okay? I saw Eunhyuk's heart skip on the monitor and heard a ruckus coming from this room."

 

                "Everything's... okay..." Donghae managed to make out between his laughs. He hadn't laugh this loudly or freely for months.

 

                "Okay, the nurse's station is just around the corner if you guys need anything. Remember, medicine must be taken before dinner. Donghae, now that you're up, the doctor is going to come in a little bit to check-up on your body." Sunny said officially. She definitely loved her position in power over the boys and wasn't hesitant to flaunt it whenever the opportunity arose.

 

                Both boys sighed gustily and looked at each other. Taking their medicine was certainly a chore they both did not look forwards to. Often, the pills were quite large and the boys choked as they swallowed them.

 

                The glance towards each other was not missed by Nurse Sunny. She smiled to herself as she knew the connection between the boys was much deeper than best friends. They had been together since the young age of six years old and had grown up together in the hospital. Sunny thought back to the day the boys first met, exactly twelve years ago.

 

 ~*~

                "Hi! I'm Eunhyuk. I'm going to be living with you in Room 1100!" said the boy, extending out a hand and offering a gummy smile.

 

                Donghae ignored the hand and glanced away. He sighed, then rolled over in his bed and stared outside the window. Behind him, Eunhyuk's face fell and he began to pout.

 

                "Don't worry, Donghae. He'll come around soon. He's just upset that his past roommate left without ever saying goodbye," whispered Nurse Sunny.

 

                Donghae stared up at Nurse Sunny, eyes round with curiosity. He softly spoke, "What happened to his roommate? Did he get healthy?"

 

                "No, Donghae. He joined the angels in heaven last week. We will miss him dearly. Now, let's get you settled in." said Nurse Sunny sympathetically. She had tears in her eyes but insisted on not crying in front of the children.

 

                "Okay..." whimpered Donghae, tears threatening to fall. At a tender age of six, he was also afraid of death. Being diagnosed with Tachycardia, a heart rate that exceeds the normal range of beats per minute, was certainly a shock to the child. After his last heart attack, his parents decided to move him into the hospital in hopes that doctors would manage to keep his heart pace under control.

 

                After setting up Donghae's bed on the other side of the room, Nurse Sunny left to go take rounds around the Cardiac Department. Eunhyuk sat on his bed and pondered for a bit on how to approach his crying roommate. Deciding  on a cute face to cheer up his friend, Eunhyuk approached Donghae.

 

                "You know, your face reminds me of a fish for some reason. Do you like to swim?" Eunhyuk bluntly asked. His tactic worked as Donghae turned around with a smile on his face.

 

                "Yep! I love swimming. What about you?" Donghae questioned, his eyes crinkling into two half-moons.

 

                Eunhyuk was momentarily starstruck as he stared into the others' eyes. He felt this connection to this smiling little boy that he had never had with anyone else. At that moment, Eunhyuk knew that they were fated to be together.

 

~*~

 

                Snapping back to reality, Nurse Sunny blinked a couple of times to refocus her eyes. She had been preoccupied with memories of the past. Lifting her head back up, she smiled at seeing Eunhyuk's dreamy smile towards Donghae. Nurse Sunny bustled out of the room, thinking about the hospital's infamous couple. According to her observations, Eunhyuk had an attachment to Donghae and often displayed his affection; however, Donghae was oblivious to Eunhyuk's feelings and treated him with the adoration of a best friend.

 

                As she strode down the hallway, Nurse Sunny heard echoes of laughter rebounding back from Room 1100.