Chapter 3

Going to the Army

Kimberly's jaw drops listening to the second proposal of the day, starting to stutter Kim spoke, "Ki-Kim Bum....I-i don't know what to say..." Kim Bum smiled and opened the box he had taken from his pocket, and pulled out the ring to put it on Kimberly's left ring finger saying, "Say yes!!" Kimberly looked up at the sky as Kim Bum put the ring on her, and it took a few tries before she could speak again. "Kim Bum...you're really great, and I do love you. I feel the same about what you said....but..oh why not, of course I will marry you..But on one condition, we keep this a secret even from the F4 and SS501 guys for a while. Just until I get the hang of this. Kim Bum beamed at Kimberly's words, and quickly nodded his agreement to keep their engadgement a secret. He picked Kimberly up and twirled her around in excitement, both of them unable to stop smiling. Kim Bum was trying not to let the news that he and the rest of the guys were about to tell Kimberly and Ellie. When Kimberly and Kim Bum were done celebrating Kim Bum said "We should probably be getting back to the dorm..you go first though I have to go and get something before I go back." They had walked hand and hand back to the parking lot, Kimberly nodded and Kim Bum kissed her before letting her go. Kim Bum looked after Kimberly as she drove off, imagining her face when he told her where he was going for two years. Exhaling loudlly, Kim Bum drove to meet the boys before they went to the dorm again.

In Kimberly's car her eyes kept going back to the ring on her left hand, eventually taking taking it off entirely right before she got back to the dorm and putting it in her pocket. Preoccupied, Kimberly walked into the dorm without really seeing her surroundings, thinking of the two proposals and not hearing Ellie say "hello, what happened while you were out?" Kim walked blindly past Ellie, through the house, having Ellie get up from the couch and follow her to her room confused. Ellie was forced to speak first when Kimberly wouldn't, "Kimberly what's wrong, are you okay? Kim?" At the sound of Ellie's voice and her name, Kimberly shook herself and looked up at her friend, "Huh..What? Oh yeah, I'm fine..I just have a lot on my mind." Changing tactics, Kimberly stood up again, running her hand through her hair and continued. "Are you hungry? Why don't we go down-stairs and get something to eat?" Ellie numbly nodded at Kimberly, not knowing what to say when Kim was avoiding something. Resigned to waiting for Kimberly to tell her, Ellie and Kimberly went downstairs and started to rummage in the fridge when the guys got there. Ellie went to get it and let the guys in, then came back ino the kitchen to get Kimberly who was eating some crackers. Kimberly set the snack she had down and went with Ellie into the living room to greet all the guys. They guys made sure that both girls were comfortable on the couch before all of them stood up in front of them. Confused, Kimberly and Ellie looked at each other as Kim Hyun Joong started speaking, "We wanted to come over here and talk to you both tonight...because we have something very important to tell you." Kim Hyun Joong took a deep breath, and Lee Min Ho took over, "In...two days time...we will all be..joining the army."

Dumbstruck, and not really grasping what the boys had just told them Ellie and Kimberly stared back at the boys blankly. Finally Ellie spoke in a quiet voice, frowning as she shook her head, "No..N-no...What? No you're not...don't kid around like that guys." Kimberly couldn't bring herself to speak, and Kim Hyun Joong continued. "We aren't kidding Ellie, we really are going into the army in two days." Shaking her head again made Kim Hyun Joong come over to Ellie as she stood up, gaping at him. Kimberly finally hinged her jaw back in place and looked at all the boys individually with a devastated, mad and worried expression on her face. Kyu Jong and Kim Bum were worried about Kimberly's expression but neither of them could make themselves move toward her. Kim Hyun Joong tried to take Ellie into his arms when she started crying hard, but she backed away from him wanting to yell, as she did it came out in nonsense words and no one could undertand her. Feeling betrayed Kimberly yelled for Ellie, "Two days?!?! And telling us now makes it better? What...were you going to just disppear and not tell us anything? That would have been better than springing it on us now! We're just supposed to be happy you guys are seving your country and not think about what might happen after you leave.." Gasping for breath Kimberly tried to finish what she was saying so that she could get away from the guys, "That's..that's sick..you guys are jerks." Now balling Kimberly ran from the room after Ellie, both of them not being able to take it anymore. 

Kyu Jong, Kim Bum, and Kim Hyun Joong all moves after the girls, their expressions not ready for the way the two had reacted. All three merely got to the living room door before they stopped and sighed, Kimberly and Elli had behaved exactly as the guys ahd feared. After a while all of the guys ended back sitting on the couch where the girls had been, thinking about what to do next now that they had told Kimberly and Ellie. Both girls stayed in their rooms the rest of the night, doors locked, Ellie sobbing into her pillow and Kimberly stood by her chest of drawers where a mirror stood. Looking into it, Kim had silent tears streaming down her face, all of the day's excitement gone because of this news. Wanting to let out her frustration Kimberly yelled and pulled back, punching the mirror and breaking it while cutting her knuckles deeply. Numbed by the shock Kimberly didn't even feel her injuries, not botering to wipe the blood away as she collapsed onto her bed. Ellie fell asleep first, but Kimberly stayed awake, her head buzzing, to hear the boys go to their rooms 2 hours later. Kim could hear Kyu Jong and Kim Hyun Joong talking quietly outside the girls rooms, Kyu Jong even knocked on Kimberly's door, but she refused to answer.

The next morning all of the guys got up together, owing to the fact that they didn't have schedules now that they would be gone for 2 years. The guys didn't know if Kimberly and Ellie were going to come out of their rooms, if they did though, the boys wanted to have breakfast ready for them. When they started cooking breakfast, they hoped that Kimberly and Ellie would be impressed and not mad anymore, however; it was a long shot. Ellie came down first, with Kimberly no where in sight, walking stonily into the kitchen and not making eye contact with any of the guys. As Ellie made herself a cup of coffee from the freshly brewed pot and put sugar and things into it, the guys made serveral attempts to talk to her. Finally it took Kim Hyun Joong stepping in front of her, and blocking her way to make her look at him. Ellie glared at Kim Hyun Joong and tried to side step him, but he grabbed her arm, stopping her so he could speak. "Look, I don't know how to not make you mad at me....I am  still going...but I don't want to leave you, mad at me. Please forgive me, I still want to be with you, and I promise that I will come back safely." Ellie successfully avoided looking at Kim Hyun Joong's puppy dog face he was giving her, though she couldn't help herself for long and cracked a smile. Kim Hyun Joong returned the smile, and pulling Ellie to him they hugged. Breaking apart the others couldn't help but smile watching the couple and Ellie helped the guys finish making breakfast.

An hour later Kimberly appeared in the kitchen and froze when she saw that everyone was in there. Turning around, intent on going back to her room, Kyu Jong caught Kimberly's wrist to prevent her from leaving. Kyu Jong spoke as he turned Kimberly back to face him, "Look Kim, I'm sorry we all told you guys that way that we were leaving. But you can't be mad forever, you'd be selfish if you told us not to go, so we both win if you would just support us, and we you will be here when we return." Internally Kyu Jong hoped that Kimberly got the double meaning in his words, he wanted her to know that he was going to come back for her no matter what, though by the way Kimberly glared at him it hadn't seemed to appease her. Shaking her head Kimberly wrenched her arm out of Kyu Jong's grasp and turned away again, just as Ellie piped in, "Kimberly just listen to them, they're right, and there's nothing we can do to change that. They are going to leave..." Kimberly's back was to the group now, so they couldn't see her expression, her shoulders tense and she started to cry. Kyu Jong closed the space between them quickly and gave Kimberly a back hug to try to comfort her, whispering soft words only she could hear.

Pulling herself together again, Kyu Jong let go of Kim, both of them turning to face the group again. Everyone sat down at the table to eat breakfast, the atmosphere a lot more cheerful, inside Ellie and Kimberly were still unsettled about the boys leaving. As the meal progressed Kimberly unconsciouly put her injured hand on the table to pick up the butter. Kyu Jong who was istting on Kimberly's right side, glanced over at her as she moved and saw her bloddly kncuckles. Shocked Kyu Jong took her hand in his, and Kimberly put the butter back down again. Kyu Jong experimented pushing gently against Kimberly's knuckles and feeling the cuts, while she flinched. Examining her hand closer Kyu Jong said, "Kimberly, what happened to your hand, you didn't have that injury before." Nervous Kimberly pulled her hand back to her chest as everyone looked over, curious now. Kim shook her head and replied shortly, "Nothing.." then looked down at her lap. Scowling Kyu Jong took Kimberly's hand and showed it to her, "this is nothing?" Indicating the dried blood, from the cuts and showing the others as well. "Kimberly what did you do to your hand?" Kyu Jong was completely serious as he asked this and wouldn't let go of her hand, so Kimberly looked away as she asnwered. "alright...if you really want to know...last night after you had told us you were leaving, I got mad...and I was looked into the mirror on my chest of drawers...I sort of...punched it and broke the glass."

Everyone's eyes went wide when they heard what Kimberly had done, though slightly impressed that she had broken the glass with one punch. Ellie spoke once Kimberly was done "Kimberly, how could you do that, but then I guess that was the weird sound I heard last night. I thought it was something outside, a stray cat or wind." Kimberly shook her head guiltily, unable to say anything else about the incident. Kyu Jong was taken aback as he talked, "I can't believe you punched your mirror! In any case you need to go to the hospital, because you could have hurt your hand more than you think." At first Kimberly refused to go to the hospital, not wanting to bother with something as little as this. Though after everyone pestered her many times, Kimberly gave in and they all went to the hospital after breakfast.