Chapter 7

Making Memories

-- Geum Min 

 

Over the next week, a lot of things happen. Not all of them are good.

My brothers got a bit of free time after practice one day, and they were at home early. I didn't have practice that day because we were given a break after our stunning performance - which we pulled off without a hitch. They told us we deserved a short break, but to be prepared to go back to the hectic schedules soon. Anyway, when I stepped into the house after school that day, it was into a house full of chaos.

I didn't even have to see my brothers to know that they were home. Grinning, I dumped my bag on the floor near the front door and ran into the kitchen. Sure enough, my brothers were there, talking over each other rapidly and confusing Eomma. She was cooking - or trying to, anyway. My little brother and sister were there too, tugging on my brothers' shirts and pleading with them to play, while Jeongmin was talking on the phone. Yoomin, who followed me into the house, went to peep into the pot that was bubbling happily away on the stove. 

"Eomma, what's this?" she asked.

"You know, Eomma, that was such an amazing feeling when you just saw all the people who were -"

"- and then I felt so mad I wanted to punch him, but we were on air so -"

"Oppa, please will you come and dress up my dolls with me? You tie their hair so well!"

"Kwangmin-hyung! You promised you'd play video games with me!"

"- well I guess we could catch up tomorrow? I'm free then."

"- then my dear brother had to go and ruin my moment with that cute fan -"

"- do you think this is a manly enough expression for the new MV?"

"Eomma, when will dinner be ready?" I pitched in, looking in fascination at the strange concoction Eomma was making.

Somehow, Eomma managed to answer all our questions. "It's a kind of soup, Yoomin-ah. Youngmin, I knew I raised you better than that - hitting people is wrong!"

"That's what I told him when he hit me after we got offstage," Kwangmin muttered, rubbing his arm.

"Youngmin, apologise!"

"I'm sorry, you midget," Youngmin said mechanically, rolling his eyes. 

His brother swiftly followed suit. "Eomma," he whined. "Why did you give me a twin?"

Eomma ignored that. "Hyunsun, please calm down, your brothers will play with you after dinner!" Twisting around, she shot glares at the two in question, making sure they would follow her instructions. "You two aren't going to have girlfriends anytime soon if you're like this. And no, Youngmin, you just look like my little baby boy!"

"Oh no, Eomma!" he protested, bringing his hand up to cover his face as everyone in the room laughed - including my oldest brother, who just got off the phone with his girlfriend.

"Eomma's liddle-widdle baby boy," Kwangmin teased, pinching his brothers cheeks.

"Kwangmin, you're my liddle-widdle baby boy," Eomma mimicked, pinching his cheeks.

"Anyway," Eomma continued before we could say anything, "dinner will be ready in a few minutes! Someone help me set the table!"

Obediently, we formed a line to help out. 

A while later, after Hyunsun were put to bed, the boys, Yoomin and I were chit-chatting in my room. The truth is, we all missed Youngkwang. Things at home weren't the same without them, and they've been gone more in the past few months than they've ever been. I missed Youngmin's nagging, Kwangmin's fussing, along with all their other antics. I'm sure Yoomin felt the same too, but we sure as ever weren't going to show the guys how much we missed them. Their heads are big enough, and it doesn't pay to boost their ego. Even if you give it the slightest bit of fuel, it booms sky-high, and never comes back down. 

We talked about a lot of things, telling them about what happened to us in their absence. They told my twin and I that they'd seen a video clip of our performance in the amusement park, and that they thought we did well. I saw the flash of pride in their eyes, though, and it made me feel warm inside, knowing that I'd done them proud. In turn, we told them about seeing their latest music video (it's all ready and set to come out soon, though I don't know when). Jeongmin started coughing, then, I don't know why, but when he finally stopped I noticed his eyes were pinkish at the edges.

Jeongmin always dreamt of being an idol too - I don't know if I've mentioned this before - but back then our parents were too set against the idea. It's sad, because Jeongmin is actually the best singer in my family. He paved the way for us to become idols, though - it would have been impossible if not for his convincing my parentst that nothing bad would come out of our becoming idols. And honestly, he gave up his dream for us. He must be feeling emotional now because we're living out his dream for him. It all sounds dramatic, but it's true.

The five of us talked about things late into the night, both serious issues and light ones. It's been a long time since we all did that, and I nearly got kicked out of class for nodding off, but it was worth it.

The next day, I argued with Minwoo.

I had training after school, so I was at Starship. During break I was hanging out with a couple of friends, and we were talking. As we were walking down the corridor back towards the practice rooms, I bumped into one of my old trainee friends. Quite literally. I was turning the corner, and so was he, and we were in each other's blind spots. As a result, we walked smack into each other and I nearly fell - he caught me with an arm around my waist. Since we know each other well, we just laughed it off, and he continued walking down the corridor. As I waved goodbye to him, though, I saw Minwoo behind him, staring at me with an incomprehensible expression on his face.

"I'll catch up with you later," I told my friends, putting on a smile and bidding them goodbye.

Then I turned and walked down towards him, an unexpectedly heavy feeling tugging at my stomach. I tried to put it aside and bring a smile to my face, but Minwoo's face seemed to darken the nearer I got to him. He didn't move towards me at all.

"Minwoo?" It came out more as a question.

He stayed quiet, but I saw his jaw tense. 

"How are you?" I asked, stopping a few feet away from him. 

"Fine," he told me. "How many boys did you hang out with behind my back?"

That hurt. I know he was just jealous and angry because I'd knocked into some random guy, but that didn't mean it was my fault, or that he could accuse me of playing around with other guys. 

"Minwoo, you know the answer to that question," I said, my voice coming out in a near-whisper.

He frowned at me. "He's not your boyfriend, I am."

"I know that," I agreed, my voice getting softer.

I felt tears pricking at the corners of my eyes, but I refused to give in to them. But I think he saw them too, because he blinked and turned away from me.

"I need to go."

"Me too."

We walked away.

Later on, he waited for me outside my dance studio. I was walking out with Yoomin, but my footsteps slowed as I saw him.

"Come on! I want to get home!" she protested, pulling me after her.

"I'll catch up to you later, see you outside?" I replied instead, and something in my voice must have showed her how upset I really was. 

She's my twin after all. I don't think anyone else would have registered the change in my voice, not even Minwoo. Yoomin nodded her head and squeezed my hand, then let go and left. It was just Minwoo and I after that. He ran a head through his hair, which was damp at the ends from his practice.

"I'm sorry about earlier," he said softly, looking anywhere but at me.

I pursed my lips. "It was an accident, and you had no right to say what you said."

"I know."

"Then why did you say it?"

"I was angry," he confessed. "And jealous. You may not have feelings for him but there are rumours floating around that he likes you."

I'd heard these rumours too. "That doesn't mean anything. It was an accident, even if he may like me."

"I'm sorry!" he told me, stepping closer. "I didn't mean what I said!"

"Geummin," he said when I didn't reply, moving closer so that he could reach out and touch me if he wanted to. "I know I was wrong, and that I hurt you with what I said, but I'm sorry. Really."

I could feel myself caving, but I really wished I didn't give in to him so easily. It felt like I was letting him hurt me and then forgiving him almost immediately. Although it'd been ages since I last saw him and I missed him and he said sorry already anyway...

"I'm sorry, you know that," he coaxed me, and I finally nodded, not willing to trust myself to say anything.

He hugged me, saying, "I really missed you, maybe that's why I felt so bad when I saw someone hug you before I could."

"So you wouldn't be bothered if something like that happened another time?" I asked, teasing. The tension between us had evaporated.

"Of course I'd be bothered," he smiled. "But I wouldn't react so horribly."

"Good," I told him.

The day after that, Sunday, we got a bunch of offers. Yoomin and I were offered another movie, which we readily accepted since we'd done movies before. Apart from this, we got offered a modelling role for this fashion line. This was something new for us - we'd never been models before, although we had experience with photoshoots. But we accepted anyway, because it was a good offer and because my manager said it'd be good for us to expand and make a name for ourselves in the industry (just in case we couldn't debut with the group). We're due to start our new modelling sessions from May. 

Though, the rest of the group members didn't get that many offers. Then again, we're the faces of the group, and we've acted before so people know us better... I still feel a little guilty that we have so many more offers than the others even though we all work as hard. They're almost all genuinely happy for us, though, I can see it. We're just that close, and it's awesome to know that we have such great people for groupmates.

I said almost, though. Sumi, our leader, although she expressed her congratulations, something about the way she said it put me off. Or maybe it was the expression in her eyes. I just saw a flash of something there - resentment? But then it was gone and I was left doubting that I'd seen it in the first place. But I'm quite sure I saw it there, and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't know Sumi as well as I do the other group members.

Soon enough, Sumi got offered a chance to star in this MV of another band. Originally the role was going to go to Yoomin, but the company decided that since the pair of us already have so much attention they'd redirect it to some of the other members. I've heard a lot of people saying that Sumi is actually really pretty too, so they gave her the chance to show her stuff. I'm really glad for her, though, because I think the other members deserve their own chances to shine. Yoomin and I have a lot of things to do anyway.

The day after that, I had school. Skye bounded up to my sister and I as soon as she saw us appear in school that morning, and she looked really relieved to see us. She had a bit of paper clenched tight in her hand, and I felt curious as to what she was written on it. I knew in a while, though, because she handed it right over to us.

"I found this in my locker this morning!"

Dear Skye, I hope you haven't forgotten me! I'm going to put a letter under the pot of roses today, and if you don't take it I'll know to stop bothering you. 

"I think he's getting desperate," Yoomin remarked to my friend, who nodded sadly.

I smirked. "She's been keeping him waiting for weeks already, no wonder he's so impatient!"

"I know, but I don't know," Skye said with a distraught expression. "I don't want to let him down when he's been so sweet, but I don't even know who he is."

Yoomin shrugged. "Why don't you meet him later?"

Skye was busy twirling her hair around, so I nudged my twin hard and gave her a glare. I didn't know who this guy was either, and I didn't like that he was pressuring my friend like this. And she couldn't go around meeting random people when she didn't know them! Besides, what about my brother? He would be disappointed if she started liking another guy.

Although if she liked another guy then maybe she wasn't the one for my brother, a small voice said in my head. I ignored it. 

"Maybe I should meet him," she said slowly, looking up at us. "Will you both come with me?"

"That'll be so awkward though!" my sister protested. 

I nodded, agreeing with her for once. "But we shouldn't let Skye go alone - we don't even know who this guy is!"

And so we decided to go with Skye to meet this guy of hers - thank goodness that we did!

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: I'm sorry for any errors here! I promise it'll start getting interesting soon :D This chapter is dedicated to my two-third, I know you're going through a rough time but keep your chin up. I'll be here for you always, and so will your family and all your other friends <3