Chapter 6

Making Memories

-- Geum Min

 

Over the course of the next few weeks, I get to know the members of my group better. Hana is really nice, and as the oldest of the group she is also very caring. She is a really talented dancer, and when she moves her body it seems effortless - she can make even the most difficult of moves look easy when she does it. Often during our free time, you can see her looking up videos online of amazing dances, and she gushes about them to whoever's closest to her. One thing I really envy is Hana's full figure. She fills out anything she wears in a really nice way, and it'd be nice if I could do that too. I'm a little on the skinny side, though. Surprisingly, Hana also likes to read. She adores books, and frequents the library to get books to read whenever she can. You never see her without her book. Sometimes she comes back from the library with a stack of books balanced precariously in her arms, so many that she can barely walk. And she has so many funny stories to tell us, which she uses to entertain us during breaks or after training when we're all in the dorm feeling bored. Hana has a sister who's a coordi unnie, and she is just as bubbly as Hana is. When both of them start chit-chatting, you know you're in for a laugh.

Sumi, our leader, is living up to her responsibility. She shuffles us around from place to place like a mother hen when we're late, and nags at us when we make mistakes. When you're exhausted after a long day of training and you get irritable easily, this can get on your nerves, but it's tolerable. She has good cause to nag, anyway. Away from the practice room, however, she can be really fun to talk to. Although, she does have high ambitions. I mean, being an idol is the dream of every girl in this group, but especially so for Sumi. I don't know what would have happened to her if she didn't get placed into this debut group. She can be really competitive, and a perfectionist, but I admire her for her resolve to do what she wants, and that's what matters. I think she can be a really good leader.

Recently, we all got our hair done. Eunmi, who's my age as well, got hers dyed this really pretty shade of brown. The stylists also added these streaks of red in it, and the whole thing looks really, really nice. In the sunlight, it's like her hair glows, because when she moves you can see the sun reflect off the red, which is more outstanding. It's subtle enough that it looks natural, actually. And since she has really straight, waist-length hair, it looks doubly stunning. Eunmi is the wittiest of our group. She spent part of her childhood in America, and has the slightest trace of an accent when she speaks Korean. Her English, although not perfect, is so much better than any of the members'. She will be our spokesperson if we go to other countries to have concerts. Maybe because of the culture difference between America and Korea, she's also not as reserved as we are. Not that we're uptight, but she's just freer with her words and actions than we are. It makes being around her really refreshing, and I like it.

Naeun is our senior Hyorin's height, and although she's the shortest in our group, she has the biggest voice you could imagine. And she has stunning control over it too. When she sings, it's like when Hana dances. You can feel the emotion radiate out of her, and she can literally bring tears to your eyes with her voice. Personally, I don't know if pop music can do her justice. She has a real baby-face which makes her look really cute. Her eyes are pretty small, but she makes up for it with her humongous smile. She loves to smile, and always laughs the loudest at any joke. We love her for it though - her cheerfulness and optimism never fails to pick us up when we're tired. We used to be really good friends before, but we got split when she was assigned to a different group of trainees about a year back. We're really close in age and that helps our friendship. Now that we're in the same debut group, I hope we can pick up where we left off and hopefully become even better friends.

Soyoung is a really close friend of mine now. School started a week ago - a new year in a new school, and we happened to be in the same class. I was thrilled when I found out, and we've been hanging out together with Yoomin and Skye. Skye and Soyoung didn't know each other until I introduced them in school, so they're still getting comfortable with each other. But I think that both girls are quite similar in nature so maybe they'll become good friends in time to come! Soyoung is quite tall, around my height, but she has these really long, shapely legs. And the stylists love making her show them off. She always gets really short skirts and all, and she can really pull them off. As we're roommates, we sometimes talk into the night, especially when both of us have trouble sleeping. It's fun.

And then you have Yoomin. I would never say this to her face (her head is big enough without me boosting her ego), but I really am proud of her. She came down with a bad case of the flu a while ago, but she hasn't complained once, except to me and that was when there wasn't anyone else there. Like the other members, she gives her hundred-percent during practices. You never see her with her head down. Of course, she's annoying sometimes when she's tired, because she tends to take her temper out on me, but other than that she's really strong. I guess she might actually be related to me.

I reflect on all of this as I make my way to class early in the morning, alone. The sky above me is this wonderful blend of blue and purple, and the rays of the sun peek out from behind the buildings, arcing over them and fading into the clouds. I hear footsteps behind me, but before i can turn around, I feel a heavy weight descend on my shoulders for an instant, then it disappears.

At the same time, I hear Skye shout, "Boo!"

I have to admit, it shocked me so bad that I probably jumped a mile in the air. Whirling around, I give Skye a glare for frightening me so early in the morning.

"You know, I'm old now. I almost had a heart attack!" I berate her, lifting a finger up and waving it around like an old lady would.

My friend grins in response, bowing and pretending to be apologetic. "Sorry, ahjumma, I'll make sure it's more frightening next time so I can shock you back into your youth!"

I pause. "What?"

"Didn't that make sense?"

"No, it didn't make any sense at all," I reply, laughing.

Skye looks sheepish. "I think my sense of humour is really bad when I'm sleepy," she tells me, yawning.

I pat her shoulder with sympathy. Last night, since training ended early, I got to go back home to sleep. My brother Jeongmin was thrilled to see my sister and I - he was pretty bored and had nothing to do. Well, that's what he claimed, anyway. I have a feeling he just missed seeing us around the house all the time.

"I can enjoy the peace and quiet when you guys are all gone," he said, smiling but managing to look wistful at the same time.

My heart pangs for him. It must be really sad to come home from lessons everyday to an empty house. Jeongmin's exams are coming up soon, the huge exams that each eighteen-year old has to take. He wants to do well so he can go to his dream school with his girlfriend, Sungjin unnie. Speaking of her, I haven't seen in her ages. I wonder how she's doing? We get along well despite the , and I really like speaking to her too. She loves hearing stories about Jeongmin from me, because I tell her the best, most embarrassing ones. If he knew that I told her all these stories, he'd probably turn red. That sounds really anticlimatic, but my oldest brother rarely gets angry or annoyed (I think he passed his share of anger to Youngmin).

"Earth to Geummin," Skye says, sliding her hand in front of my face so that I snap out of my reverie.

I exchange glances with her. "Yeah?"

"You were in another world," she informs me, staring sidelong at me. "I was asking you a question but you didn't reply at all!"

I shrug. "I'm sleepy too, and I was thinking about something else. What was it that you're asking?"

"I was asking where your clone is!"

At the mention of "clone", I start smiling. "She went to see a teacher about a project!"

We continue on our way to school, talking all the way there. In the past few weeks, I haven't seen much of her apart from at school, of course. It's been too long since we had the chance to just talk like this, and we make use of the walk to school to catch up. She tells me about her week, how she went for one of her coworker's weddings, and how she was bored every day.

"You should go do something else, like get a hobby or something!" I tell her. "Maybe you can join the company," I add, jokingly.

Skye remainds quiet, something uncharacteristic of her. "Are you seriously thinking about joining the company?" I prod, studying her face closely for a reaction.

She doesn't reply, but yanks my arm so that I jerk towards her. Dazed, I look around, and realise that I nearly walked into a lamp post.

"Yah, you're so blur!" she teases, laughter in her eyes. "Watch where you're going!"

I smile halfheartedly, glancing over my shoulder at the magical lamp post that seemingly sprouted out of nowhere. "I completely didn't see that!"

We walk a few more steps, then I realise belatedly that she hadn't answered my question. I'm not going to let her escape so easily, though, so I ask her again.

"Of course not, that's an absurd idea," she replies nonchalantly. "I can't even sing!"

Shaking my head, I nudge her lightly. "Anyone can sing! It just takes practice."

"Easy for you to say."

"Well, it really is easy to sing one you know how! Believe me, I'm a professional singer."

"But you're a rapper!" Skye protests.

I shrug defensively. "I sing too!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," she waves her hand, dismissing whatever I said.

"I can teach you to sing, if you want," I offer. 

Skye turns to look at me. "Maybe I'll take you up on your offer," she says, grinning. 

By then, we've reached the school. We stroll inside, merging with the stream of students flowing through the front doors already. Class starts in about fifteen minutes, so we have plenty of time to go to our lockers, get the books we need, and get to class. Our first lesson is History, which Skye loves. She adores listening to stories about the past, because she claims it's interesting. Sure, I think it can be interesting too, but I hate hearing about war. War is unnecessary, and when I think about all those soldiers who fought relentlessly in all the wars, it gives me the shudders. Why should so many innocent people have to die?

I try to distract myself, because I know that if I think about it I'll just get even more freaked out. "Skye," I ask hurriedly, clutching at straws to get my thoughts away from the gruesome subject.

She hums in response, busy trying to unlock her locker. Unfortunately, she landed with one of those lockers with doors that are half-rusted and incredibly hard to open. I think she's on the verge of giving up on it, but the door cracks open, and she can slide her fingers through the crack to yank the door open. It takes effort, but eventually her door opens, and out pops a slip of paper.

Curious, I stoop over to pick it up as she draws out her history books. It's a tiny folded letter made out of light blue paper - one of Skye's favourite colours. Her name is written in big, messy handwriting on the front, and I wordlessly pass it to her. 

"Who's that from?" I ask, history forgotten.

My heart is beating with anticipation and excitement - has my friend gotten a confession from someone? Who could it be? I haven't noticed anyone around here taking interest in her before (except my brother, but he's a different story and I don't think that looks like his handwriting). 

Skye's eyes flick over the lines of words on the paper, and I wait impatiently for her to finish and tell me what it's about. Her cheeks have acquired a pink tinge, I notice, smiling. She gets to the end of the note, folds it back neatly, and calmly looks at her watch, her face still reddish. 

"We're late," she tells me, avoiding my gaze. 

"Yah," I yell after her as she starts walking to class. "You can't just leave me with a cliffhanger like that!"

She smiles sweetly at me, her eyes widening with innocence. "What cliffhanger?"

"Who was the letter from?" 

Shrugging, she s the paper into my hand, looking away so that I don't see how red her face has suddenly become. But I can still see that blush - and the huge smile that's growing on her face too. She's my best friend, and I know her too well by now not to notice. Scanning the letter, I notice that it's signed "Anonymous". I sigh with disappointment, but perk up almost immediately on reading the rest of the letter. It's so romantic!

Skye's secret admirer thinks that she's pretty, smart and funny (duh!). He wants her to know that he has feelings for her, and would like to be friends, if that's okay with her. Then he tells her to put a letter underneath the pot containing roses on the roof of the school building - he'll be checking this every day, so there's no pressure on her to respond right away. He ends off the letter by telling her to eat well and take care of herself. I smile at these last lines, thinking about how sweet the writer is. I get confessed to a lot, actually, because guys just seem to like me for some reason. But for Skye, this is her first confession letter - ever. I can imagine how buoyant it must make her feel. 

And true enough, she's still smiling like an idiot. "That was a sweet letter," I say, handing the letter back to her.

She takes it from my hand, holding it like she would a feather. "Do you think that if I stay on the rooftop later, I'll find out who he is?"

"No," I answer. "He would see you sitting there, and won't reveal himself so easily!"

"What if I hide?"

"Where would you hide? There aren't any hiding spaces!"

"What if I send you to sit there and spy for me?" she finally counters, looking eager.

Right then I catch sight of my brothers down another corridor - they're entering a classroom for their first lesson of the day. Suddenly I'm struck by a question - what about Kwangmin? He won't like to know that Skye has feelings for another person, or that she was confessed to by a secret admirer.

"Skye, what about Kwangmin?" I ask, deciding to be direct.

She turns red again, almost instantaneously. "You think that letter is from him?"

"No, the handwriting is different," I inform her. "But do you still like him or have you fallen for your admirer?"

Laughing, she tells me, "It's not so easy to grab my heart. I'm just curious to see who the author of this letter is!"

I nod, satisfied by her answer. We reach the door of our classroom and walk inside, ready to start the long day of lessons.