I LIED

CHANCE OF LOVE

 

                I know for certain, I’m too early for my next subject. Therefore, I decided not to attend my first class. Maybe if I’ll do so, my strict professor might reprimand me. I can’t afford to receive such kind of embarrassment in front of my fellow classmates. And so, I walked along the hallway even without knowing where to go. Unhurriedly, my foot is walking like a nomad does.

                ‘You ! Look what happened. Because of your nonsense delusions, I wasn’t able to attend my first class!’ my feet stamped just like an irritated child. I was actually talking to myself. You know, some kind of interpersonal encounter. Then I noticed some discerning eyes talking. Maybe, they are thinking I'm crazy. ''Ah ... H-hehe ...'' I smiled at them awkwardly. I'm starting to feel ashamed for myself, for what I've done. Quickly, I got out of the place. Seems like I was enliven by that shameful interpersonal encounter.

                 ''Now I know, I'll just read some books while waiting for my next class.'' i pushed the library's door where I ended up walking. There I was sitting on a chair near the corner. In my hands is A book entitled GREEK MYTHOLOGY. I love to read this book for the reason that I am very much fascinated by the ancient beliefs of the Greeks. At that moment, what I was exactly reading was the love story of Psyche and Eros. This love story is not the typical story any one would want to have.

                Just in the middle of my focused reading, my phone rang which made all the students in the library look at me.

                ''Hey! Am I just too gorgeous to capture their attention?'' I was throwing a joke on me to hide the truth that for the second time today, I was embarrassed in front of these tremendous number of folks - just a matter of boosting my self-confidence.

                Before oblivion fully covered me due to embarrassment, I  remembered my phone. ''Who is this?'' I answered the call with a slightly irked voice.

                ''It's me ... Gyu Hye'' the voice from the other line introduced herself.

                ''Gyu Hye!'' I exclaimed. ''I miss you! It's been a long time since we talk. I haven't heard any news about you. How are you?'' Gyu Hye is my cousin. We were also childhood playmates.

''I'm good. What about you? Have you heard the latest about ...'' she cut her syntax.

                ''...about who Gyu Hye?'' I asked in curiousity.

                ''...about ... Sung Jae.'' she continued with a soft voice. ''Oh? Sung Jae? What about him?'' I replied. My heart began to beat fast but I pretended to be not affected.

                “Ahmmmm … actually, I don’t think that this a good idea. I don’t know if you are still interested about this .. but I think you must know it.” My cousin is obviously concerned about my feelings.

                “Gyu Hye, we’re over. Things won’t be the same again. Whatever it is, I’ll be happy for him.”

                “Sung Jae and Yeo Ri ….they.. “ and I cut her, “are they together? Hehehe… what a nice couple! ”

                “Are you ok?” she asked me out of concern.

                “What do you think of me? I’m ok ! very much ok …” before she could say something else I continued my words and bid farewell. “Hey Gye Hye, I’m sorry to cut our conversation but I need to drop this call ‘cause it’s already 9 .. I’m having my next class. I’m pleased to hear your voice again my dear cousin. Bye!” I dropped the connection.

                I lied. I have to lie to conceal my true feelings. I don’t want her to think that I’m still in love with Sung Jae. I lied. But no matter how many lies this mouth of mine utters, those can never hide the wounds I have here inside my heart. I’m dying. I’m dying to hear that news. Every word Gyu Hye uttered tore my heart into pieces. This was broken a couple of years ago, but now… the same person who hurt me before is the same reason why my heart is crashed today.

                That was a moment of silence for me. But the real thing is my heart is crying so hard deep inside. I’m controlling my tears not to fall. Until one drop finally gave up. Gently, I placed my forehead at the top of the table which is front of me. The tears came rushing. Though my eyes were opened, I can’t see anything clear. Those tears almost blocked my vision. But I must not act this way. I no longer have the right to be affected this way. I have to accept things the way they ought to be. I wiped the tears. I fix myself. “I will never cry again because of him. I must move forward.”, trying to convince myself, I silently took my way out the library.