AN INVITATION TO OBLIVION

CHANCE OF LOVE

 

The class ended with my consciousness roaming around somewhere out there. I was there. They can see me. However, my mind is totally absent. Just a few minutes since the bell rang, the room where I stay is now vacant. It’s only me, my shadow and my absent-minded body that was there.

                “Oh Jang Min!” a familiar voice from somewhere called my name in intense volume.

                “Oh Jang Min!” again, I heard my name. This time, I can feel someone pat me on my left shoulder to capture my attention. That who owns the familiar voice whom pulled my consciousness back is Hye Jin. Hye Jin is a very good friend of mine. It does not need to take a year or more to make out friendship work.

                “What are you staring at outside the window?” she then took a glance outside the window to see it for herself. I’m fixing my things when I noticed that look -  that suspicious look from her eyes.

                “Ne … Jang Min, tell me… is it Sung Jae again?” she sat beside me. “Come on, I know you. It’s only Sung Jae who could make you look like that.” Her eyes were seemingly telling me that I can lean on her.

                These lips tried to stretch a bit just to show a smile- a smile that was hard to depict after Gyu Hye’s news. It took me awhile before a word finally came out from my mouth.

                “He must be happy now.” I started with a low voice. Still, on my face is a meaningful smile. A smile that hides something bitter and painful. After a moment of silence…

                “I can’t believe that for a long period of time, I made myself believe that one day we will be together again… that we will hold each other’s hand, spend our time together and laugh together … but now…” my emotions immediately melted in front of Hye Jin. I can’t help but voice out all my sentiments to her. I continued my confessions while she was listening willfully. “…but now, he’s with somebody else. My last words echoed in my mind until she finally broke her silence.

                “Oh Jang Min … you can’t blame him if he now have a new girlfriend. That was a long time since you and him broke up. You must accept things the way he accepted it. You must move on and forget the way he did it. Lastly, you must continue living. Learn from what happened. Everything happens for a purpose. He left because someone is about to enter your life.” Her voice is a voice of a very honest and concerned friend.

                “But … I can’t even imagine myself loving another.” Tears are unstoppably rolling down my face.

                “It’s because you’re not removing your eyes on him. Try to open your heart again, Jang Min.”

                Hye Jin’s words somehow lessen the burden in me. Though not totally gone, the pain is somewhat deteriorated by her words of advice. We were on the middle of our heart to heart conversation when …

                “ Hye Jin… Jang Min …” he entered the room and walked straight to Hye Jin. He kissed her cheeks and placed his arms on her waist. That boy who just came in is Sung Hyun, Hye Jin’s boyfriend.

                “Hey!” he removed his arms from her. “Why are your eyes watery and swelling?” he questioned me with curiosity.

                “It’s nothing. Don’t mind this.” I answered him while wiping those tears away. “Are you sure? You look like problematic.” He pursued querying me.

                I smiled at him. “ No.. really, it’s nothing.” Though I know he wanted to ask more, he nodded and turned his sight to Hye Jin. “Hye Jin, would you mind coming with me. I will meet my long time friend at the bar tonight. He just arrived from America and we have decided to see each other tonight.” Hye Jin immediately responded “Yes, I will but wait …” it seems like she wanted to continue her words as she take a glance on me. “… I have a good idea.” This, as she took her steps straight to where I was sitting. She was there at my back when she continued. “Jang Min, I think you must come with us. You know… take some time to unwind, to escape from your dramas and all your loneliness.”

                Before I could utter any word for my supposed to be rejection of her proposal, she had already finalized everything. “I won’t take NO for an answer.” With a smile which is telling me ‘There’s nothing you could do.’

                And that’s what exactly how I felt. ‘There’s nothing I could do.’ Well actually, I could insist not to go with them. But there’s a think twice on my side. Maybe it’ll be good for me too. I need to unwind and have fun to relieve myself from too much pain. Maybe, through this, I could forget Sung Jae even just for a while.