What an Ugly Thing

Miasmic Peck

 

Timing is key.

He looked back into the shadows once again.

I took note of his actions; he must have good peripheral vision or perhaps hearing.

“Would you just come out already…?” He spoke hesitantly into the dark walkway behind him.

What a brainless man… I am not even at the location his voice is trying to reach right now; I am hiding across the empty street.

This will be very easy.

I thought this for a second, remembering that my task was different this time.

.

“What does he look like? Not in a picture or appearance, but on the inside.”

“What…?” Dense woman.

“What do you see when you look at him?” I asked her in more simple terms.

“I hate him.” I sighed internally, taking the photograph from the woman.

I turned over the paper, seeing a small paragraph.

“Is this—” She was already gone… I suppose I told her to stay only for a few questions worth of time.

I’ll just assume that she wrote this message to me then.

 

Please kill him for me. I hate his guts. He tore my heart out. I may not be the smartest of the bunch or the most beautiful, but he didn’t need to go as far as to take my heart out and step on it. ‘We aren’t working out,’ would have been enough, but he chose to break me. He wanted to make sure I couldn’t smile after what he did.

I don’t want to kill him. I just don’t think we can both live as normal humans in the world on the same plane.

I hope this money is enough for you to kill his heart. I don’t care what you do to him, physical or mental; just kill his heart for me. Make his heart hurts and strains in ways that he could never imagine. Break it.

Do something that I don’t have the strength to do.

What a brainless woman… She was strong enough to write this message and hire me.

She is strong enough to break this man’s heart herself.

 

I flipped the photo to its glossy side, taking in my new target. Name… She didn’t even utter his name once to me…

Sighing quietly, I scanned the photo into my computer, finding the target quickly through other sources.

Jung Jinyoung. Age 21. Occupation, song writer.

I memorized the vital information, saving the unnecessary data for further use at another time.

She wanted me to break his heart? How to go about this job…?

I should write a log first.

Target: Jung Jinyoung (21)

Target occupation: Song writer

Hirer: Kim Hyo Jung- Hyorin (22)

Hirer occupation: Singer

Money paid: 250,000,000 Won

I wonder if her singing career led her to Jung Jinyoung… It seems logical. And perhaps I should have raised my price… I had made a deal for the woman though; she seemed economically unstable and almost mentally unhinged as well.

.

I almost smirked when he turned around, continuing to walk a bit quicker.

Break his heart.

I kept my goal in mind.

Should I choose to do it mentally or physically…?

I think she wanted me to make it so he was torn. So, mentally.

Jung Jinyoung, huh?

We’ll continue this tomorrow morning.

 

Jinyoung POV

, I’m late again!

I grabbed a granola bar to eat on the way to work, almost running onto the subway when I reached it.

, , . I have to finish the new song today. I might not even get paid otherwise…

Stepping into my work place hastily, I waited for an elevator to the fourth floor. Maybe the stairs would be quicker… I acted speedily, fast walking to the stairs instead.

 

I literally sprinted up the last flight of stairs, knowing that my boss would mark me as late again if I didn’t. “Just made it, eh, Jinyoung?” I faked a bright smile, nodding to my boss.

“Of course not, Sir. I always come on time.” He laughed, my finding it’s chair happily. I need to sit after that run…but I guess I’ll be here all day anyway, working on the new song.

I don’t even get why the boss is making me create the song all by myself and so fast too! He only gave me a little less than two weeks… And it just has to be due today. I groaned, getting out my work so far.

“Excuse me,” I looked to the side at a pretty woman, hearing her soft voice.

“Yes?” I answered with a smile, pleased by her appearance. I haven’t seen this one around the office before~

“Um, the boss said that you would show me around. It’s my first day today.” I stood up, a bit pissed off that the boss would get me to do this when I had to finish the song today! Though I was happy to get to know the cute, new girl before anyone else.

“Okay. I’ll give you a tour haha.” I started to walk when something ugly appeared in front of me.

“Min Hee Yeon. Please show me around as well.” Ugh…two new…people?

This person claimed a woman’s name, but I can’t even tell what gender they are under the huge, baggy sweatshirt and baseball cap they had on. I couldn’t tell how long the person’s hair was, since they kept it in the cap. I’ll go with the new workers both being female though.

“Okay, ah, and what was your name?” I turned my smile to the other, more feminine woman.

“It’s Kim Minhee.” Minhee and Hee Yeon, got it.

“I’m Jung Jinyoung, by the way. Now, let’s start here. This is the main office. We mainly sit at our areas, working on songs, melodies, you know, whatever your assignment is.”

 

After the tour of the floor, I could already tell who I liked better haha.

Minhee was so cute! She had a soft voice and sweet personality.

The other one… What was it again? Oh, yeah, Hee Yeon. Well, let’s just say, I don’t want to have to work with her.

I can barely tell if she’s a woman, her eyes are hidden under her cap, and she didn’t speak anything other than her name from before.

She must be a brilliant song writer or something though.

Well, Minhee must be good too! I am expecting her to be amazing haha.

 

“Jinyoung, the song?” I heard my boss’s voice, having an immediate panic attack in the instant it took me to look at the clock. There’s only one hour until they want it!

“Yes, Sir! It’ll just be a while!” I got back to work, Minhee’s soft voice continually asking me questions. She’s a bit annoying right now… I need to get my work done! I’ll talk later, alright?! “Could you please ask another worker for now? I’m a bit busy at the moment…” Her expression fell, mine panicking a little. “I-I’ll help you later though, okay?!” I quickly reiterated my thoughts, getting her small eye smile for myself.

She went back to her cubicle, my song writing skills kicking back in.

.

Done! I almost ran to the producer’s office, handing him the song, huffs in my breath.

"What is this?” Eh…

“The song you wanted. You requested it from the song writing department.” I said, a little confused.

“Oh, but we already received it today.” What…?

“Can I see it? It should be this one.” He looked over my song while another worker handed me the song they got from somewhere.

Dang… Whoever wrote this was awesome. “I’m sorry, but I think we’ll stick with the first song we got. It matched the band a tiny bit better.” Are you serious…? “Sorry to trouble you.”

“Oh, it’s no problem at all.” I faked a big smile, walking out of the room. Tch.

 

“So, did they like the song, Jinyoung?” My boss asked me as I walked by his desk.

“Did you ask someone else to write one too? They got a different song this afternoon and took that one instead of the one I made.”

“Oh…really? Hehe. I did ask the new girl to start working on a song and when she said she finished in an hour, I thought it must be really crappy. Guess not?” New girl? Oh, Minhee… Seriously… Well, she must write very well to do it in an hour! It even had a melody and lyrics that were well blended… She’s really remarkable then.

I can always use this song for another band then. I guess I can go talk to Minhee more~ She’s really cute, so I want to get to know her better.

 

I poked my head into Minhee’s cubicle cutely, blinking a bit when it was empty. Hearing her laughter from another cubicle, I searched around, finding her in Hee Yeon’s area. Why is she laughing…?

“You’re so funny, Hee Yeon!” Does Hee Yeon even talk…?

“Hey, you two~ How’s your first day?” I asked them, leaning against Hee Yeon’s desk, right next to Minhee.

“Good. It’s really fun to write!” Minhee exclaimed, a bit shy after she realized how loud her voice was.

So, she has a passion for writing? Well, that’s expected after that song she just wrote so quickly!

“But Hee Yeon-ah had a much better day than me!” Minhee motioned her eyes to Hee Yeon who was quietly sitting in her desk chair, turned to her work rather than us. “Right, Hee Yeon-ah?”

“I guess so.” Her voice is actually a bit girly, but I guess I didn’t notice before, since she didn’t say much of anything to me yet.

“Why, what happened…?” I asked uninterestedly.

“Hee Yeon-ah got her song chosen by a band already! Isn’t that amazing?!” Wait, the ugly one wrote it?!

-

What a fool. Such an annoying thought process too.

“Yeah! She even wrote it in like, an hour!” Minhee kept praising me in her character.

Minhee is my assistant.

She is my helper in this mission to break Jung Jinyoung.

“Really…?” It’s so easy to read this man.

Why did Miss Hyorin even like this person? He seems to just be loaded with bad qualities.

But I don’t judge a woman who fell in love.

I nodded my head to Minhee visibly, standing up and picking my bag in my hands.

“Oh, are you going home?” Jung Jinyoung asked, looking towards a clock.

I bowed my head a bit, walking out of my cubicle and to the door. “See you tomorrow, boss.” I said casually, getting a smile in return.

I already got on his good side with the song and left quickly. Time for Minhee to do her work.

 

“Hey…are you walking alone?” I heard Jung Jinyoung’s voice, my eyes centering on his face when I turned.

“Yes.” I replied indifferently.

“I’ll walk you home then… Minhee-ah and the boss told me that you live near my house, so I’ll walk with you, I guess…”

“You can go play with Minhee-ah if that’s what you wanted.” Ah, I’m replying in my usual voice a little. Must be more casual while I’m in this character of Hee Yeon.

“…What…?” He clicked his tongue at my small scoff and turn of the head. “I could, but I get to walk you home. Whatever. You can go by yourself.” That’s the type of personality I wanted to see from you.

“Okay, bye.” I began walking again, taking steps in one direction, then changing my ways a few more time.

“Yah, what are you doing?” His hand grabbed my arm, pulling me towards a street light. “It’s this way, idiot.” I smirked a bit, trapping him.

Jung Jinyoung, you will be so easy to break.