Windstruck

Avenue of Hope

 

That morning vibrated with life. Various sounds filled the area and disturbed most villagers from their peaceful sleep. The sun barely covered the skies with its shine. Timidly, rays entered through the thin curtains.

Byung Hee pulled Chaerin’s relaxed body closer to his bare chest. Her soft breath tingled at his neck. All was perfect in their littler corner, a haven from the city’s busy streets, hurried people and blinding lights. If given the chance, both of them would have gladly moved to the country side as both remembered the better days of childhood. Byung Hee’s farm, as he worked side by side with his father and Chaerin’s warm summers with ice-cream from the local shop and juicy watermelons dripping red down her fingers. Their dream versions met at the end of the greenest field they have ever seen. Rice grew around patches of water and quivered from Dae-Hyun’s joyful screams. Byung Hee stretched his arm to take Chaerin’s hand and whispered how lucky he is to have her in his life. They’d share a kiss until Dae-Hyun splashed them. The naughty child got his revenge for being ignored. None of them worried. It was a beautiful life – one that was worth living to its fullness.

Byung Hee’s utopia broke midway when he felt something too real to be part of his fantasy. He slowly opened his eyelids and met a long stick with dirty leaves. Among the muddy emerald petals, he saw Dae-Hyun’s furious look as he hit him repeatedly over his head, chest and arm.

“Let go of mommy!”

That was all Byung Hee caught before he protected his face with his hand. He let go of the sleeping blonde and hoped Dae-Hyun’s ruckus won’t wake her up. He tried grabbing into the stick in order to stop Dae-Hyun, yet it seemed useless as the kid mastered it like a Joseon era royal guard. “Hey...! Hey!” Byung Hee whispered as low as he could. He finally took the stick from Dae-Hyun and held it as high as he could. “Do you want mommy to wake up?”

Dae-Hyun wasn’t ready to abandon his quest. He jumped on the bed and tried to reach the stolen object. Accidently, his foot kicked right between Byung Hee’s legs. The elder snapped the stick in two at the sudden contact as a small whistle-like sound left his mouth. He bit his lips hard. It almost drew blood. Dae-Hyun suddenly calmed down when he saw his damaged weapon and looked almost apologetic because of Byung Hee’s grimace.

The real reason the kid drew back was Chaerin’s half-annoyed, half-tired gaze. She lazily pulled Dae-Hyun in her arms. “Are you hungry~?” The nightstand clock announced she overslept for the first time in three years. It felt wonderful, rejuvenating even. Chaerin could take down mountains that day.

Dae-Hyun’s dark eyes amusingly turned for a second to Byung Hee, before the little rascal shouted with all of his might: “MOMMY! HE’S HURTING YOU!”

Chaerin sighed and knew she was getting older. Byung Hee mumbled something indecipherable. “He’s not hurting me. He’s hugging me. Don’t you also hug me?” Dae-Hyun nodded and accepted her logical answer, yet he couldn’t shake the weird feeling he was having. No way would his mother share her bed with someone other than him or grandma.

“But...!” he protested. Byung Hee silenced him when he took Dae-Hyun up and embraced him. Dae-Hyun didn’t like it one bit, yet he still could not understand why had that man entered their life.

“Dae-Hyun... do you know what a father is?” the little one paid attention for once and slightly shrugged his shoulders. It wasn’t that he didn’t know what the word meant. He never experienced it to fully understand its purpose. “A father, dad, daddy is like a mother. You see, each child has a mother and a father,” Dae-Hyun nodded again, an imaginary world unrevealing itself before his eyes “Mother loves you very much, doesn’t she? She also loves father very much. Father also loves you very much and loves your mother too.” Dae-Hyun mustered the funniest face he could. It was beyond his comprehension at that point. “Does your mother play ball with you?”

Dae-Hyun’s eyes suddenly sparked with innocent curiosity. “No! Because she’s a girl!” Chaerin’s smile dropped and wanted to take her chance and defend women all around.

Byung Hee stopped her with his conclusion. “Yes, a mother is a girl. And a father is a boy. So a father can play ball with you, right?”

Chaerin pushed aside the blanket and decided it was best to leave the men with their affairs and start hers. Some coffee would be nice.

“Yes...” Dae-Hyun twitched his nose. Something fishy was going on.

“Dae-Hyun... I’m your father.”

An awkward pause followed. There was no wind, no birds, no dogs and no cats, no hen and no . Just plain silence, similar orbs clashing – one pair gleaming, the other dusted from age. Dae-Hyun suddenly wrapped his arms around Byung Hee’s neck. He rested his chin over his shoulder and kept a tight hold. He still had no idea what a father was, but it felt good to have somebody to play ball with forever.

Byung Hee returned the gesture and petted his tiny head. A gentle smile, long forgotten, resurfaced.

 

 

“When is your mother returning?”

It had been one week since Byung Hee came. Chaerin took the shaving brush and the dark blue bottle of shaving cream. She gently spread the cream, using the brush, all over his cheek in circular motions. She used upward with an almost professional handling “I don’t know, she usually stays between two days and one month.”

Byung Hee hummed. The weather has been constantly improving. Rain passed them the last days and trees were blooming. He didn’t flinch when Chaerin grazed the razor’s blade against his skin. It was the second time that month she had done that for him. It was weird – Byung Hee was used to taking care of himself. Chaerin, on the other hand, took some kind of pleasure in helping him get rid of that hair. Maybe because she couldn’t stand the tingling sensation she received when she touched his face. Dae-Hyun got used to them too. He woke up early in the morning to spy on their sleeping states. He couldn’t find anything more awesome than that. His mother was in the best mood ever and that made Dae-Hyun glad. Chaerin stirred the razor inside a bowl filled with water before returning to the shave. She took greater care around the scar. Dae-Hyun kept throwing the ball in the air effortlessly. He swung his legs and the chair wobbled lightly with him.

“Hey dad...” he inquired once Chaerin finished her masterpiece and gave Byung Hee his towel. She disappeared from the room with the bowl, razor, shaving brush and the shaving cream. Byung Hee poured the sticky lotion Chaerin liked so much over the irritated surface. He frowned lightly and searched for any wounds before answering the boy with a bright grin, his eyes half-closed and his teeth visible.

“What is it?” he came closer to the boy and kneeled before him. Dae-Hyun gave him the ball in order to free his hands. He leaned forward and cupped Byung Hee’s face.

Dae-Hyun’s eyes melted once Byung Hee placed a playful kiss over his nose. Dae-Hyun chuckled and let go of him “I know what a daddy is now.”

“Oh really?” Byung Hee’s tone sparked up as Dae-Hyun jumped off the chair and grabbed Byung Hee’s hand. The child dragged him outside to play.

“A daddy makes mommy and me happy. A daddy protects us,” he stole the ball back from his father and ran ahead the large courtyard. He turned around to give the biggest smile Byung Hee has ever seen in a child. That little tint of mischief remained. “...and is lousy at football!”

Byung Hee started laughing. “Oi! That’s not how you talk to your father!”

 

 

Two and a half weeks passed. Chaerin’s mother finally called and announced she would be returning shortly. Apparently, there was one more place she had to go to. The third week almost finished. The same ceiling kept Byung Hee from falling asleep. His thumb caressed Chaerin’s hand while his other played with her blonde locks. Strands of brown perked at the top of her head. Dae-Hyun’s soft breathing crept between half-closed doors and reassured them their child was safe. Nothing special happened those days. They went each morning after water, they ate breakfast, Byung Hee and Dae-Hyun played while Chaerin prepared lunch. The old woman at the store took a liking in Byung Hee and they ended up chatting every afternoon. Dae-Hyun still received milk from the neighbor’s famous cow and evenings were as peaceful as ever. The adults shared a room, while Dae-Hyun slept in his grandmother’s bedroom. It was hard the first week. Fortunately, Dae-Hyun took it as another adventure – that of surviving the horrible monsters hiding in darkness. After two weeks, Dae-Hyun got used to it. Sometimes, he slipped between his parents in the middle of the night. It never bothered them. They were, after all, content to be together.

“Marry me.”

Silence.

“Rin... marry me.”

He stopped caressing and playing. Seconds lasted for hours until Chaerin finally gained the strength to speak.

“I’m afraid.”

Byung Hee’s thumb involuntarily resumed the soothing touch. “Then let’s not marry.”

Chaerin stopped him again as she pulled the pillow from under her head. She placed it against the bed’s frame and rested her back upon it “It’s not that I don’t want.”

Byung Hee’s kiss intervened between her explanations. He one side and gently pressed his lips against her skin “Stop. It’s fine as it is, isn’t it?”

Chaerin pulled him closer “Yes. And that doesn’t change my feelings for you.”

“At least, return with me in the city” he whispered over her lips.

Chaerin suddenly pushed him away and exhaled deeply. “And do what? People will see me differently. I’m afraid of everything... I never was this afraid before.”

Byung Hee smiled and approached her. He supported his body weight on all fours so he won’t crush her “There’s no need. As long as I’m here, nobody will dare hurt you. I’ll protect you and Dae-Hyun no matter what.”

Chaerin couldn’t buy it, not yet “My career ended. What about yours?”

Byung Hee chuckled and his tired rough voice had a honey flavor to Chaerin’s ears “Who said it ended? Rin, what do you want to be?”

“An artist” she answered without a second thought. What else could she be? Music was the only thing that was all hers and nobody could take that away from her. Those three years were nostalgic with her mother’s old French cassettes.

“I’m an idol,” he tried hard not to sound stupid while saying that “Well, I was,” his lips cupped her chin “I’m discipline, the law, I’m order. But an artist is chaos – beautiful chaos.”

Chaerin masked her racing heart with laughter “Since when have you become so philosophical?”

“Since I realized what matters to me most – you, now, Dae-Hyun too.” Byung Hee lowered his kisses until he found her medallion trapped between her clothed s. He pressed his head against her chest. Her heart sang him lovely melodies.

“Okay.”

He didn’t move an inch from his position. “Okay what?”

“Let’s be a family.” Chaerin massaged his scalp and a hint of hope lingering in her voice.

“So you’re going to marry me?” Byung Hee lifted his head and his childish attire returned. She giggled and tapped his nose.

“Who mentioned marriage? I only said we’re going to be a family.”

Byung Hee crawled back up and kissed her forehead. He removed a few strands obstructing her gorgeous big eyes “That’s enough for me.”