;XVIII.

To Daddy, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Goodbye Taehee-sshi!” The young intern greets cheerfully once the called one leaves her office.

“Goodbye.” The older woman says expressionlessly and exits the notary office where she works as a PA.

She’s gotten that job half a year ago, once she officially resigned from Sehun and Haeun’s company. Not because of bad blood forming between them, but the memories were just too overwhelming. And since she needed a change of scenery, she thought to use her Law diploma and find a job in a notary office.

Some more employees greet her as Taehee walks away and she greets them back sternly. She goes to her white VW and drives off to the nursery to pick Jongmin up. She feels sorry for her son, that he has to stay in the nursery from morning until the afternoon, but Taehee doesn’t really have an alternative left. She can’t pay a babysitter either, and her being the one supporting them, it’s not easy. Of course, she could always count on Chanyeol and Hyera’s help, but she’s too proud for that.

She’s the one working, and raising a child, so she should be responsible of him. And besides, they have their lives as well. Chanyeol has been promoted to lieutenant and Hyera is facing a tough time because there had been no news of her husband for weeks.

Park Taehee is a strong woman, and she will survive. Jongmin will be alright.

Arriving to the nursery, she parks the car hastily and hurries in the building, heading to the room her baby boy is always at.  Most parents have already picked up their children, but there are a good few minutes until the nursery closes, so she’s arrived just in time.

As she steps in the usual room, she notices her son, with his black hair, his tiny back facing her, as he plays by himself in a corner. The scene is heartbreaking for her, for some reason. Jongmin seems isolated, him being in his own world, closing out everything else. It worries her actually.

“Miss Park,” the teacher walks up to her cautiously, and judging by her expression, Taehee knows that something has happened.

The teacher asks for them to have a talk in the hallway, in case Jongmin might be listening. A lot of parents make the mistakes of speaking important things in front of their children, thinking they won’t understand. On the contrary, a child understands everything an adult says.

“Did something happen?” Taehee asks with a carefully masked worry, though the question is just for show. Her maternal instincts tell her that her son is going through hard times.

The teacher wets her lips and fidgets with her fingers, uncertain how to begin. It’s an important matter, after all.

“Well, I found the other children bullying Jongmin because he doesn’t have a father. It seems the mothers have been talking among themselves, and it has reached the children’s ears as well. And now…”

As mentioned before, careless talk can have great consequences.

Taehee takes a moment, to analyze what has been said. There it goes, all of her infinite tries to keep Jongmin safe. The consequences of her decisions, the past itself is coming back at her, prepared to make her suffer. And this sufferance is not mild either, for Vengeance has taken a liking in her boy.

“Please don’t let the children speak of those matters anymore. And if a parent has something to say, do give him or her, my phone number. Nobody will hurt my child.” Taehee says strongly, as she has her hands balled in fists.

How dare they speak ill behind Jongmin’s back? Those vultures, always bad-mouthing others!

Without leaving the teacher proper time to reply, Taehee turns on her heel and storms in the room, to hold Jongmin in her arms. When seeing his mother, the three year old brunette smiles weakly and closes his tiny arms around the woman’s neck. Taehee pats his back and steps out of the room. She stops for a second next to the teacher.

“If my son will suffer further, I will have a talk with the director, so everyone involved will pay the consequences. No one, and do you hear me, no one will hurt my child.” And with those said, she marches out of the nursery.

She heads back to the car, all the while she caresses her son’s back. Jongmin is unusually quiet, but Taehee knows the cause to that. It’s because of the badmouthing, she’s sure of that. Her son is witty, and even if he can’t say a lot of things, he certainly understands them.

As Taehee places him on the backseat, she his obsidian hair and caresses his cheek. His skin tone is the same like his father’s, though the chocolate eyes are hers.  What a wonderful combination. Children are, after all a miracle.

“Listen, Jongminnie,” she begins, as she pushes a few black locks out of his round forehead. Her son looks up at her with those big brown eyes. “You and mommy will be just fine. Our bond is inseparable and I won’t let anyone hurt you, under any circumstances.”

Jongmin nods, as if he understands each and every word. At least he feels her intention. His Mommy is the best.

“Alright, now let’s go to the supermarket!” She adds with a smile.

Jongmin is sitting in the cart’s spot made for bags, as Taehee walks around, trying to count the ingredients she might need for dinner. Her son is playing intensely with a figurine, not paying attention to his mother’s inner turmoil. She has no idea what to cook for dinner. And the bills have to be paid. And her salary still hasn’t come…

Her credit cards are almost empty and she can’t afford to b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter