;XIII.

To Daddy, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He feels so astonished, that he cannot even speak. What did Haeun say? What is he supposed to do? Everything echoes in his head like a broken gramophone, the sentence repeating, but its meaning lost in time.

And then, he feels the soft brush of her full lips press against his dry ones, and his eyes widen upon realizing what is happening. Her plea returns in his head stronger than before, and when Jongin is about to push her away, Haeun ends the act, stepping one step behind and looking at him with a broken expression.

“See? It wasn’t that bad. My lips aren’t poisonous.” She then tries to joke, but her voice comes out weak and struggling.

Haeun’s eyes redden and her thin body starts to tremble.

It takes him a minute just what has happened. But Jongin can’t feel anger towards her. And especially not when she’s on the verge of crying.

“Haeun,” he calls out to her, after taking out his handkerchief and running it over his lips, seeing if she left behind her lip-gloss. “Why did you do that?” The man then asks, his brows drawn in a small line.

She shrugs, as she inhales air. “Because I’m too proud to ask you to let me stay. So instead, I’m running away. I want this to be our parting gift, the motive you could hate on me.”

He opens his mouth to interject, but she raises her hand, asking him to let her finish first.

“I wholeheartedly wish for you and Taehee to be happy. She’s bearing your child, and that child will certainly be blessed, to have the two of you as his or her parents. I love you, Jongin. Not as a lover, but as a friend. Because… first of all, we started off as friends.” She chuckles painfully. “Looks like this si framed quite prettily. We start like friends and end like friends…” She then trails off.

Jongin rolls his eyes and tucks at her forehead, making Haeun flinch. “Silly. We’re not parting. You’re getting married, and I have ten thousand of reasons to stay alive. Still, that was thoughtless and very silly of you.”

She shrugs, once again. “Yeah, I’m a thoughtless person. I only think of my own self.”

Haeun starts to walk towards the door, with Jongin next to her.

“True. There used to be a period of time when you were like this.” She glares at him and he grins back, in that boyish way Taehee loves. “But you’ve grown, kiddo. You are now thinking of others too.” He opens the door for her. “I’m proud of you.”  

“But of course!” Haeun tries to look strong, although her hands shake in the slightest. “I know Taehee, and I also know you. I’m tired of acting selfish in front of people I cherish.” She steps out of the room.

Her father hurries towards them. Knowing the short time, Jongin quickly whispers something in her ear. Something which only the two hear, before her father arrives and ushers him to take his seat.

“Where were you?” Taehee asks with narrowed eyes, her voice lowered, once a rather pale Jongin occupies the righteous seat form beside her.

“Sorry. I talked with Haeun.” He says pleadingly, and rubs her arm, his way of telling her that everything was alright.

Instead, Taehee rests her hand on his right thigh, the back of her palm touching the material of his trousers, and she looks at him meaningfully. Seeing the gesture, and realizing what she expects, Jongin intertwines their fingers, then brings her hand to his mouth, to place gentle kisses on her knuckles.

“I’m sorry it took so long. Don’t be mad, okay?”

And how can she stay mad at him, when he’s showering her with that beautiful and cheeky smile? The edges of his eyes curl into smiling, his mouth wide and his teeth milky white. His dark hair a mess, and Kim Jongin is continuously playing with her heart.

“Just don’t do that again. I hate it when you’re gone.” The last sentence she murmurs to herself mostly, though Jongin hears her, and kisses her hand again.

He feels exactly the same.

The melodic song of the piano starts, welcoming the bride and her father. Every head turns to the entrance, and first, two children, a boy and a girl hop around, holding pink flowers. Then comes the bride, Haeun, in the prettiest wedding dress ever made, which seems to have been designed for her and only. The veil covers her face, and her father is about to burst in tears, that proud he is. Some older woman already weep, though mostly just for show.

When she passes by their row, Haeun looks for a second towards them, her eyes resting on Taehee, and she nods towards her. This is it: truce.

And then she passes by, like a summer breeze, erasing all the bad blood that has ever been between them. Sehun is standing in front of the altar, his hands clasped before him, looking expressionlessly towards the approaching bride.

Eventually, Mr. Jung gives her daughter’s hand to her soon-to-be husband’s, and takes his place next to his wife. The priest goes on and on about the wedding life, faith and love, until it’s time for their vows.

The wedding rings are present, and Sehun is first. He gently lifts Haeun’s left hand, looking at her straight in the eyes as he begins to say his vow.

“I, Oh Sehun, take you, Jung Haeun, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to… love and to cherish, till death do us apart.” And slides the ring on her respective finger, sealing her will and both of their futures.

With her heart beating crazily in her chest, Haeun takes the other ring and repeats the vow, though unable to look at Sehun in the eye. Instead, she rests her eyes on his Adam’s apple. It’s not because of guilt, or anything similar. Nor is she trying to victimize herself. It’s just, she can’t get accustomed to the newly received status of being Sehun’s wife.

“Till death do us apart.” Haeun tries to slide the ring on his finger, but, unexpectedly, the size doesn’t fit.

The ring is too big for him. She pales considerably, and her whole body freezes upon the realization. Instead, Sehun helps her with putting it on further, making sure no one from the crowd notices.

“I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” The priest says and everyone cheers and starts wishing them all the best.

Turning to face her, Sehun takes his sweetest time to unveil her shocked face. She’s pale and looking up to him with fear in her big brown eyes. She’s brought shame upon him in such an important day. No one found out yet, but the ring is too big

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter