After A Year

Knot The Chains Tighter

“Jiyong!” I was busy making our breakfast in our kitchen when I suddenly heard my wife’s voice. “Jiyong!” another scream, this time, louder.

“I’m coming, wait!” I hurriedly remove my apron and turn off the stove and go straight to our living room where I heard Sandara’s scream.

“What happe-” oh my god. Oh, god. Oh, god. I can feel my heart leaping from happines. My stomach clenched in sudden outburst of happenings. This is what I am waiting for! I’m probably smiling like a fool on what I just saw.

“My God, Jiyong! You aren’t suppose to my smiling like that right now! Come here and help me,” Dara’s voice broke my trance.

Well, who wouldn’t be happy? After five years, we’re finally going to have our first baby! Like, right at this moment.

“Kwon Jiyong, the baby’s coming out, help me here and bring me to the hospital!”

Oh, right. I quickly come over my wife near the stairs. “I’m sorry, I’m just happy. We’re going to have a baby!”

“Jiyong, stop rejoicing, it really hurts! Bring me to the hospital now!” she yelled at me. I can’t blame her. My wife’s drowning herself in her own blood and here I am spacing out.

I scoop Dara in my arms and run to the bar near the door to get my car’s keys. And then I run fast to our car. I didn’t mind locking our gate.

“Mr. Kim!” I yelled to our old neighbor. “I’m going to send my wife to the hospital. Our baby’s coming out!” I said proudly.

“Jiyong, what are you doing!” Dara whispered, I bet she’s really embarrassed on what I did. But who cares! I’m going to be a daddy!

I opened the door of the seat beside the driver and carefully put Dara down. I sprint real fast to my seat and finally start the engine.

-

The moment the doctor came out the door, I quickly stood and face him. “How are my wife and my baby?” I sound nervous and excited at the same time.

The doctor chuckled before answering. “Calm down, mister. They’re both fine. Your baby boy’s really healthy. Good thing you took care of your wife,” he said, smiling.

“Can I go inside now?”

“Young man, you can’t at the moment. Your wife’s asleep and the nurses are currently taking care of your son,” he finished by tapping my left shoulder.

I can only wait. But it’s really killing me.

“Jiyong, come and sit down first,” I heard Seunghyun’s voice.

Choi Seunghyun, the first time I saw him, I was really jealous. He’s the man that took care of my wife when I was without her. But after my reconciliation with Dara, he still remained a friend to her. At first, I wasn’t confident about the idea of them staying close but when Dara said that Seunghyun’s really just like a brother to her, I have no choice but to accept it.

Since then, he became my friend, too. Seunghyun’s really kind and understanding. I even thanked him for taking care of my wife. So I guess, Dara giving birth to our son shouldn’t pass without him. That’s why I called Seunhyun. He can’t miss this.

As for Sohee, I don’t know where she is now. She ran away. She said she can’t stay anymore. Dara was really sad about it but I guess it was the best choice for all of us. She still loves Sohee after everything that happened. But that's one thing why I love my wife, though. She's very kind and considerate.

Remembering what Seunghyun said, I chose to follow and sit beside him.

“Thanks for being here, man,” I smiled, I was really grateful.

“Well, I can’t really miss the special day for my closest friends, can I?” he replied, smiling, too.

-

“Dara,” I whispered, coming closer to her.

My wife carrying my son is just the most beautiful sight in the whole world.

I touched her face and kissed her forehead and then, I look at our son and carry him with my own arms. “Baby, good thing you already came out. I was waiting for you for a long time,” I joked to him as if he can understand me.

I am really thanking God for everything that happened. Even though I made a mistake in the past, I wasn’t really late making it right. I’m so thankful to Dara for she gave me a second chance. I screwed up big time, I know. But all this time, it was Sandara Park, my own wife, who I really love. I promise to be a good father, a better husband and the best man for my family.

They’ll be my precious gems that I promise not to lose. And for Sandara and I, we really did knot the chains that are connecting us tighter. And I’m going to make sure, I will lock it a millions times and throw the keys far, far away.