Chapter Three

Well... That Was Unexpected

 

The bell rang, indicating the end of lunch as Minjee woke up. She spotted the bottle of strawberry milk on her desk and a small smile found it's way to her face. Wiping it off instantly she stood up and grabbed the bottle, slinging her bag on her right shoulder.

She walked out of the classroom door as people spotted her and hung their heads low, frightened. They stepped back, making a small pathway for her, not wanting to get in her way. As Minjee turned the corner, a group of giggling girls walked mindlessly towards her.

They stopped as soon as they spotted her. One smirked, seeing no movement from Minjee.

"Well? Aren't you going to walk around us? Or do you actually expect us to walk around you?" she said.

A girl with light brown hair elbowed her friend lightly as she whispered, "Don’t be rude."

She turned towards Minjee and smiled, "Hi. Minjee right? My name's Kyungmi." She held out a hand as the crowd gasped.

The perfect queenka of the school just held out a hand for a complete loner. Ignoring their whispers, Kyungmi kept her hand out, waiting for Minjee's response. Minjee just looked at her, her eyebrows furrowing a bit as she wondered why she was doing this to her.

Seeing no response, Kyungmi took Minjee's hand and shook it, her smile wider than ever.

"Well, I'll see you around. Nice meeting you." Kyungmi waved at her before continuing to walk, her friends following behind.

Minjee stood on her spot, not believing what just happened. She blinked before shaking the matter out of her head. She put herself together and continued to walk towards the exit of the school.

 

Having just watched the scene, a smile formed on someone's lips before they joined the busy crowd casually.

 

 

"Why did you talk to her?" Kyungmi's friend, Jiae, asked her as they walked out the gates at the end of the day. Kyungmi looked at her, confused, "What?"

"She meant that loner girl you introduced yourself to." Minah, her other friend explained. Kyungmi nodded in realisation, "Oh. What's so wrong about that?"

Jiae looked at her as if she was crazy, "She's a loner for a reason, Kyungmi."

"And have you seen that look on her face? Urgh." Minah shuddered.

"She doesn’t seem so bad. She's just, well, shy." Kyungmi said. Her friends snorted. "Shy? I heard she was seen walking out of prison once." Jiae whispered. "I heard her father was a wanted criminal and that her mum ran away because she was ashamed of their whole family." Minah added. Kyungmi rolled her eyes, "As if you actually believe those nonsensical things."

"Well, it's most likely true. By the looks of the way she acts, it's possible." Jiae told her. Minah nodded, "I never liked her."

Kyungmi smiled, "Oh, come on, girls. Don’t judge her by what you hear." She hooked her arms with her friends and they waved the topic off, knowing Kyungmi wont change her mind.

 

 

 

"Kamsahamnida." Minjee bowed slightly as she left the restaurant. The event from earlier that day came to mind again as her head tilted unknowingly. Why would the queenka of the school actually talk to her? Minjee sighed in confusion as she felt a headache coming along.

Deciding to forget about it, she shook her head and focused on other things. At that moment, her stomach made a sound.

". I'm so hungry," she mumbled to herself before reaching for the strawberry milk behind her. She looked sadly at it, "This won't fill me up…"

Looking up, she saw a convenience store with high school students eating ramen by the window. She unconsciously drooled at the sight. Reaching for her pockets, she found a few bills and looked hesitantly at them, knowing she might regret it. This was supposed to be for that

Minjee nodded to herself, "I'm getting my pay check in a week. I can live without money for a while…"

She lightened up and went inside the store, happily clutching the few bills in her hand.

 

"Ahhh~" she sighed contently after finishing the ramen. A soft smile was plastered on her lips as she walked out of the store, sipping on her strawberry milk.

The sun had set and light purple clouds were in the skies as a soft breeze filled the air. Minjee had turned the corner to her house when she spotted a crowd right in front of it. Her eyes fearfully travelled to the building before her whole body froze.

Bright red and orange tongues of fire were visible outside the burning windows of her house as parts of it fell to the ground.

"No…No… NO!" she screamed, the forgotten strawberry milk splattering onto the ground. She pushed through the crowd of strangers and watched as the fire slowly ate her house away. Looking down, a huge amount of glass was scattered on the floor, dangerously close to her skin. Preparing to save her only home, she stepped towards it before a loud sound spread through the area.

Police….

Gulping, she gave her house one more look before she pushed through the crowd. Fire trucks and police cars parked messily in front of her house and she backed away when a police made eye contact with her. Having no choice, she ran away, leaving her one and only property to burn down.

 

 

Minjee shuddered as a strong gush of wind passed through. She was tightly hugging her bag as she leaned against the dark alleyway. Her house and belongings… completely turned into ash.

Minjee's eyes widened, her hands quickly finding their way to the zippers of her school bag, digging her hands to feel that soft surface. Not finding any luck, she tipped the bag over, not caring about anything else.

There it was.

Minjee picked up the small, velvet bag gently, treating it like the most fragile item in the world. She sighed in relief. She could loose everything else, as long as she had this. She slipped the item into her pocket and fixed her belongings.

Not knowing where else to go, Minjee fixes her bag strap and heads towards the restaurant.

With her head hung low, she kicked invisible objects as she walked. Seeing the bright sign of the restaurant, she lightened up the tiniest bit, only for it to disappear as a figure in a suit walked out, followed by the owner. Minjee hid behind the building, watching as the man got onto his car and drove away. Minjee stepped out of the shadows, catching up with her owner before she went in.

"Ahjumma…" she whispered sadly. The owner turned around and jumped, hiding her hands behind her back frighteningly.

"O-Oh… Minjee-ah." the owner spoke, "W-what are you doing her this late at night?"

"Ahjumma, can I stay here for the night? I- I encountered problems at home." Minjee softly spoke.

Minjee saw a pain expression on her owners face.

"Minjee-ah, I'm sorry." she placed a hand on her shoulder, "But… The loan sharks just came and I need to let some of our staff go." Minjee looked up at her, not wanting to believe what she was about to say.

"Sorry, you're a high school student and we cant afford to have you work here." the owner explained. Minjee breathed heavily, "No. Don’t fire me. I-I… work harder than everyone else here. I can work 24/7 if you'd like. But… Please… Don’t do this."

The owner shook her head before her hair for the last time, disappearing into the restaurant, leaving Minjee not having a clue what to do.

From afar, police sirens were heard and Minjee's ears perked up before she ran to a random direction, her job the least of her worries. She hid behind two garbage bins as she watched the police cars drive by, listening as their sirens slowly faded away.

"Excuse me."

Minjee jumped at the voice, pushing over the garbage bins in the process.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" Minjee looked up at the deep voice and saw a middle aged man holding bags of groceries in his hands. Minjee nodded and stood up, wanting to walk away from him as soon as possible.

"Wait! Are you, perhaps, a high school student?" he asked before walking in front of her. Minjee furrowed her eyebrows, "I'm in a school uniform, aren't I?" Her personality changed as soon as the obvious question came out of his mouth. The man was taken aback at the change, "Well, yes, but-"

"Well, if I already answered your question, I'll be leaving now." Minjee walked past him, her eyes unconsciously rolling.

"You're hurt." he told her, turning around. Minjee blinked, "What?" He pointed towards her foot and her eyes followed before she saw a deep and long cut on the side of her leg. Blood was dripping down her leg as it stained her white socks deep red. She coughed, embarrassed she didn’t notice it, "Whatever. I'm leaving."

"Let me at least treat it." he bent down, as he went through the bags before he found a pocket sized first aid kit. He leaned towards her leg before Minjee jerked it back.

"It doesn’t hurt. There's no need for you to do that." Minjee told him. The man sighed, "But it still might get infected." He slowly touched the end of the Q-tip to her wound as Minjee slightly winced at the pain.

"It will sting a bit but it'll be over soon, don’t worry." he assured her. After a minute, he stood up and proudly smiled at her, "Done!"

Minjee nodded, stuffing her hands into her pocket before turning around to walk away. She felt a hard tug on her backpack, before it pulled her back.

"Do you have a place to go?" he asked, "Cause it looks like you ran away." Minjee scoffed, "That's not any of your business."

He turned her head around, "I have space at my house, if you want." Minjee's eyes widened before pushing him harshly, "What the hell?! I don’t even know you!"

The man rubbed the pained spot, "But we have a lot of room and I'm sure my sons wont mind." Minjee looked at him as if he was crazy, "Look, ajusshi, this isn't a drama. I'm not an idiot that would randomly come into a strangers house!"

"Just think about it," he told her, "By the looks of it, you don’t have anywhere to go. Plus you’re injured and have no money."

"So?"

"So, just stay at my house until you find a decent place to live and the right amount of money to live with." he explained, "If you want, you can pay the rent you owed me after."

Minjee slightly hesitated at the offer but shook the thought out of her head, "No thanks. I'm not living with someone I don’t know."

"It's either that, or you slowly die out here." he spoke. Minjee was taken aback at his straightforwardness, but it made her think.

Minjee looked at him, biting her lip in thought, "One month. I'll stay there for one month and I'm leaving as soon as my time ends. Not going to do anything else but sleep there and I'm paying for all my expenses."

The man smiled, "No problem. But I'll help when you need it."

"I wont need it." Minjee argued coldly.

"Kwon Minjee." he suddenly said. Minjee looked at him, wondering how he knew her name.

He noticed her looking and he straightened, "It was on your name tag."

Minjee looked away, silence filling the air as neither both of them knew what to say.

Finally the man spoke up, "Well, why don’t we go home now?" He picked up his bags and led the way as Minjee silently followed. They went to a part of the town with expensive houses and Minjee couldn't help but gape at the size of them.

"We're here." Minjee looked up at the man before at the building in front of them. It was probably bigger than any of the others around as the land around had a lot of space.

"Let's go in." he jerked his head towards the gates and opened it, revealing a big front yard with a long driveway towards the house. The two walked towards the entrance of the house and Minjee noticed the line of maids in front. They bowed down to the man as one of them opened the large doors for him. Another one took his grocery bags and the man turned to look at Minjee.

"Welcome to your new home, Minjee-ah." he led the way into the house as Minjee walked through the long hallway behind him. Halfway through their journey to the heart of the house, Minjee forgot the directions they went to and just followed silently.

They finally reached the dining room and she was surprised to see people already occupying the table.

She watched as they groaned when the doors opened and she heard a 'he's here' from one of them. They stood up simultaneously before stepping out of their seats, walking to the opposite direction without turning back. The man beside Minjee called for them, "Wait! Boys! We have a guest!"

Minjee heard them sigh all at the same time before they turned around to face him.

Eyes widened at the sight of similar faces and Minjee's mouth fell open.

"YOU!" L shouted along with her.

Why the hell is that bastard here? 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, things are happening a lot. ._.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who subscribed and commented! I really appreciate it!

PLEASE DONT BE A SILENT READER. I LOVE READING COMMENTS! <3