Part 3

A Walk to Remember (ONESHOT)

 

Part 3...

 

The breakfast during the next morning was as tense as I sensed every pair of eyes pasted on me. I looked up at them.

“What???” I asked them, annoyed with their curious looks.

“Did…did…did you meet that Seira girl last night???” Lay asked, looking at Luhan then back at me. I sensed that they were hiding something from me but I chose to act normal and answered him, looking unconcerned.

“Yeah…why???” Chen accidentally dropped his tea cup and the workers ran over to him, to clean up the mess.

“Sorry, I’m sorry…” he said at them before he caught my eyes and looked away at once when I gave him a sharp look.

“Are you guys having any problem now that I finally meet the girl that I love???” I asked them all, putting down my spoon and glaring at them. Xiu Min cleared his throat as he stole glances with the others.

“We have something we need to tell you, Kris…” he said to me after he had done communicating in silence with the others. I stared at all of my friend’s faces. When they had these very serious expressions on them, it means something really bad had happened and it was worrying them. A girl appeared at the table and I gasped at her face. She looked exactly like Seira, except that she was younger and her face had much colors compared to Seira’s pale expression. She didn’t have a smile like Seira always did yet she was sighing heavily as she walked to me. I stared at her with amazement as I realized she had the same gracefulness as Seira but never quite the same as her perfection.

“You said you meet my sister, Kang Seira, right???” she asked in a high tone. I nodded, unable to form a word as I gazed at her.

“My sister…she had been long missing…none of us able to find her…some said she died, some said she had ran away, out of broken heart when her fiancée cheated on her…” she explained to me and somehow, it clicked me as I remembered the story Seira had told me when we were sitting under that big tree. I rose up my hand at her.

“Your sister is missing??? Then, it’s okay, right??? I mean, I met her…I talked to her…she is alive…” I said to her but her eyes grew wider as she saw the scarf I had on my arm. She grabbed my arm and stared at it with her eyes in wonder.

“Where did you get this scarf???” she asked me, ignoring what I was saying to her. I exchanged looks with my friends and they nodded at me, indicating that I should tell her the truth.

“I found it tied up on that tree near the seaside…why???” I answered her and giving her a question at the same time. She gulped and looked at me, tears in her eyes.

“The night my sister went missing, she was wearing this scarf…it was her engagement’s night…we were having the party up on the tower of the lighthouse…after she went missing, my dad closed that lighthouse, unable to bring any memories of her…it was impossible for you to have this…she didn’t contact us all after that night…” she told me and as she started sobbing, Luhan put his arm around her and pulled her away from the dining room. I stood transfixed as I digested what I heard.

“Who is this Seira you are meeting actually??? If she alive, why can’t you see her at day???” Lay asked me, his hands were shaking as he gulped down air. I shook my head, biting my lips.

“I don’t know…she never tell me anything…but, trust me, she is alive…I will bring her here when I meet her…she is meeting me again tonight…” I said to him, confidently yet my mind was working furiously on how to meet her. Yes, she did promise to meet me again but not tonight, so where the hell can I look for her??? I thought dully as I stared outside the window. She always had the same bitterness and sadness looks whenever she looked up at the moon. The moon, I thought and I gulped.

“Tonight, it is full moon night, right???” I asked. Slowly, Tao nodded his head as he patted my shoulder.

“Bring her here when you meet her okay??? We don’t want to jump to any scary conclusion yet Kris, I need to remind you that the living and death can never be together…” Tao said to me and I turned to glare at him.

“She is not dead!!!” I said firmly as I walked away, leaving my friends to gaze at my back.

-A Walk to Remember-

It was midnight again as I sat down, waiting for Seira under the tree. She was nowhere to be seen and my heart dropped as I remembered that I had promised my friends to bring her to the villa.

“Seira sshi…please, please…show me yourself so that I can prove to everyone that you are alive and we can be together forever…” I said as I looked up at the moon. Then, drowsiness filled me and I leaned on the tree, eyes half-closed. After a while, I heard someone walking to me and I hardly can make up her face yet I found it so bliss that I feel asleep almost instantly.

“Sleep, my love…sleeps, and you will understand…” I heard Seira whispering to me and I obeyed her words, inhaling her sweet scene.

-A Walk to Remember-

It was the same circular room up on the tower of the lighthouse. I stared at the chandelier that was hanging on the ceiling. It was far more beautiful and extra-elegant looking than the time when I was with Seira in it. At the corner of the room, stood a man, he was smoking as he looked out at the sea. Then, from downstairs, we both heard hurried footsteps and Seira appeared at the door. She was glaring at him. I gasped as I saw her in exactly the same dress she was wearing every times we met yet the white scarf that was wrapping my arm was wrapping her neck.

“You liar!!!” she said loudly, accusing the man and as she walked hurriedly to him, she threw away her bag and started kicking the nearest table that she reached.

“You decided to engage to me because you know that I will inherit the business of my dad in this town!!! You had never loved me yet you acted like you did!!! Don’t think that I don’t know you had been sleeping with that stupid girl working as my maid!!!” Seira said at him, spitting at his back. He turned around slowly to face her as Seira’s breathing became ragged.

“I did…and so you know…wouldn’t it be easier now that you have found it out??? If you are smart, Seira sshi, I would suggest you to kindly sign that paper that I had prepared for us…you will be my wife but I will have all of your properties…how about that, huh???” he asked her, taking a step nearing her. Seira won’t budge and I felt worried at her.

“Never!!!” she breathed at him and then she grabbed the paper and started tearing them apart. The man glared at her, his temper rising as Seira looked at him triumphantly.

“The engagement is off!!! I’m so not going to marry you, disgusting dog!!!” she shrieked at him. Pulling off her ring, she threw it at him and turned around to walk away. But she was never as fast as the man. He grabbed her arms, dragged her to the balcony and pushed her to the crossbar railings. She was choking as he kissed her forehead.

“You love me, Seira…don’t make me hate you…you should act more obedient like you always did…the way you are acting right now, was making me mad…” he said to her, kissing her ears now. Seira was struggling as she tried to breathe properly but as she showed no sign of being obedient at all, the man laughed out loud.

“But of course, Kang Seira is the perfect girl in town…she just couldn’t lose her face by saying that her fiancée is a liar, right??? Then, marry me, Seira sshi…marry me, and you can keep your pride with you while I keep your properties with me…it is just a business deal, honey…don’t be so serious…” the man continued again but Seira had managed to lose the grip of his hand choking her and she pushed him away with every strength she had.

“Never!!! I would never listen to a man that doesn’t love me!!! You betrayed my trust, my love and my heart!!! I would never give in to that selfish thought of yours!!!” she yelled at him in high voice. The man nodded, smirking as he cornered her to the wall. She was trapped between the wall and the man. The only way she can run was to jump into the sea but it was a suicide if she did, the lighthouse was too high from the sea, she might be dead instantly when she dropped down into the sea.

“Very well, if you are looking for a true love, then I will give you one…farewell, my love…” he said to her and then, he grabbed Seira by her arms and pushed her down into the sea. She yelled in shock as her shadow slowly disappeared and then her body too vanished into the deep sea. The man gulped before he pulled out his phone out from his pocket.

“Search the sea…we need to hide her body so that everyone will think she is missing…I don’t want people to know that she was killed by me…now!!!” he ordered someone that I couldn’t see or hear. As I watched him leaving the tower, tears started falling down my own cheeks.

“My Seira…she is dead…” I muttered to myself before I opened my eyes. I was now lying on the back of the cold floor of the attic where Seira had first brought me with her. I gulped as I lay down, hearing someone crying next to me. I sat up and saw Seira, sitting at the floor next to me, her face flooded with tears. 

“I’m a dead person, Kris…you will fall in love with my spirit…” she said, softly but clearly. I wiped her tears as she hugged me.

“Did he manage to find your body???” I asked her and she nodded.

“He found my body and then he buried me under that big tree by the seaside…he pulled off my scarf and tied it at the highest branches, marking the tree as the place where he had buried me. The scar I had on my arm was given by him when he was gripping me tightly to stop me from struggling when he tried to push me into the sea…” she explained. I closed my eyes, feeling the bitterness she felt when her lover betrayed her.

“It is okay, Seira sshi…it’s okay…I would still love you…no matter you are a human or a ghost, I would still love you…” I said to her but she pushed me away and shaking her head.

“No, Kris…you are a good man…a good man deserve a better girl than me…I’m just a prisoner in a love that had betrayed me…” she answered, crying more as I tried to kiss her.

“No…I love you…don’t leave me…” I begged her yet she kept on shaking her head.

“I met you in my dream!!! The first day I was here, I was dreaming about you when I was boarding the boat…I was fated to love you, Seira…” I said to her yet as she stared at me with her blue eyes, it clicked me. She was the black cat that had appeared at my side during the day. She brought me to the tree and let me have the scarf.

“That’s right…I was waiting for a love that can free me from my unwanted dead…I was waiting for you, Kris…my spirit, my soul was trapped under that tree…I wanted someone to discover my body, to bury it properly and for that evil man to get his equal punishment for murdering me…so, I made a vow during the night that I died, if ever a man comes and took my scarf from that tree, I would be free and he can help me telling the truth about my death…” she said, as though she was able to read my mind.

“Yet, you are so kind…even when I appeared as the hideous black cat, you picked me up and you talked to me…you saw the scarf when everyone else was ignoring it and you were staring at painting with a longing expression on your face…I was falling for you when I’m not supposed to…you taught the meaning of loving someone again, and you reminded me of the happiness of being alive again…” she continued, she had stopped crying now yet she was shaking and her body was cold like ice. It was my turn to cry as I heard her words. From outside the door, I can hear my friends banging and knocking on the door.

“Kris!!! Kris!!! Are you alright??? We heard a girl crying!!! Is Seira sshi with you??? She is a ghost, right??? We had been dreaming about her and the lighthouse!!! Kris!!! Come out now!!!” I heard Lay’s yell and then followed by Luhan’s worried voice.

“Kris!!! She is a ghost…you two don’t belong together…leave her, Kris!!!” he said and as I stared at Seira, she was nodding her head.

“They are right, Kris…the living and the death doesn’t belong together…” she said softly and I felt my tears dropped on my hands.

“I was too late…if only I meet you first before that man…” I said, regretting yet she shook her head.

“You freed me, Kris…you saved me…you made me believe in love again…and I thanked you for that…” she said as she touched my face. I held on her hand and we both cried as the full moon, suddenly appeared at the window. She looked up at it and smiled at me, her mysterious smile that was my favorite.

“I need to go now…I made my vows during the full moon, so I need to leave during full moon too…” she said as she stood up. I stood up too, grabbing her arms, stopping her.

“Don’t…please…I beg you…” I begged her. She leaned in and whispered to my ears.

“Close your eyes, Kris…” …and I did as I felt her kissing my closed eyelids.

“When you opened your eyes later, this will all be your dream…you will forget me, all about me…” she said and I sobbed harder as I felt her kissing my lips. Her lip was cold yet her sweet scene was filling me.

“I love you, Kris Wu…thanks for loving me too…” she whispered her last words and I felt rushing wind swept past me. I opened my eyes and saw that I was alone on that room. The door burst open and my friends came running inside. They were sweating as they looked around the room.

“Where is she???” Tao whispered as thought he was going to pee when he saw her. I shook my head, slumping down on my knee as realization came to me. She was really gone since none of my friends were able to see her in that small, narrow room.

“She was gone…” I said slowly. Xiu Min walked to me and he patted my back as I started crying again.

“She was my first love…I never knew love before I met her…” I told them and words failed us as Lay kneeled down in front of me, nodding his head.

“Good job, man!!! You love her despite her flaw and all…what a brave man!!!” he said to me as Luhan and Chen sat down next to me too.

“As expected from our Kris…” Chen said and Luhan nodded, tears in his own eyes while Tao was sobbing behind me. The cold breeze of the night swept us through the window and as I looked at my wounded arm, Seira’s scarf was still there and it was damped with tears. She was crying again and it torn me into thousand pieces. She was crying, not because I betrayed her but because our loves, was a walk to be remembered, forever. Sometimes, what you see wasn’t what you meant to see, sometimes what you see, wasn’t what you were seeing.

 

"I choose to remember this walk because it is love that brings me there, to you..."