Part 1

A Walk to Remember (ONESHOT)

 

Part 1...

 

“Illa, illa, illa…” Juniel’s song; was being aired on the radio as my red car zooming passed the mountainside, the road heading to the vast blue sea. Inside the car, sat six men, the best friends since we were in junior high. It was a very long times since we last hang out together and today, finally, we have gotten some chances to meet again and planned for this little reunion. At the back of the car, Luhan sat as he was still deep in reading all of his files. Being a well-known lawyer in Seoul, Luhan hardly have any free days out from his office. 

“Luhan…you would better keep those files away, or I might have to throw them into the sea later…” I warned him as I drove the car, peering at him from the side mirror. Luhan raised his head at me and grinned.

“Sorry, Kris…workload is increasing again…” he replied, shaking his head but he did obey me and snapped his files closed at once. 

“And none of it is my business either…” I replied back, earning loud laughter from my friends. Luhan laughed along with us, he wasn’t the type to get mad at people. Very humble, that was the best word to describe him.

“Kris…this is your new car, isn’t it???” said Lay, admiring the car and I nodded.

“You need to have one too…it’s about time for you to start living your life to the fullest…” I said to him as Lay nodded. Lay worked in a small photography shop but his dream is to be a professional photographer. Suddenly, his cell phone rang loudly and Lay hastily picked it up.

“Ah, hello…sorry, I forget to call you…right now, we are almost at the sea…gonna staying on the island for a few days I think…are you going to be alright??? Staying with your grandma???” Lay said to the phone. I rolled my eyes.

“His daughter again…if I hadn’t known the story yet, I would think he has got a stalker girlfriend…he always reported his activities to her…” I said loudly as Lay started explaining the journey he was going to be in this few days away from his daughter.

“You wouldn’t know how it feels to miss your daughter…oh, well…between all of us, only you, Tao and Luhan haven’t married yet…” Xiu Min said, blowing his gum at them. Xiu Min is a clerk yet he is married too and has a baby girl. Unlike Lay who has a daughter with his dead ex-girlfriend, Xiu Min had properly married his wife, a clerk at their company too. I groaned as they mentioned about me being a single agent again. Next to my seat, Chen, a doctor with a twin kids, laughed.

“Well, at least Luhan and Tao got a girlfriend…you, on the other hand, are, a loner…” he said, teasing me.

“What a loner…” said them at me in union. I ignored them all as they laughed at me.

“Whoa!!! Look at that lighthouse…beautiful isn’t???” I said, trying to change the topic. All of the six pair of eyes we owned looked towards the lighthouse. It was situated at the middle of the sea, tall, white building. We can see the tower up there clearly; its windows sparkled under the sun.

“I wonder if it’s still work…the light on the tower…” Tao said, pushing his head out from the open window to look at it clearly.

“Thinking of going fishing again??? The lighthouse’s light does a big help, right???” Chen asked him, making him pouted as they roared in laughter again. Speeding up my car, I headed to the little port where we can take a boat to go to the island where the lighthouse was situated. Faraway, through one of the windows up on the tower of the lighthouse, a girl appeared, watching the car zooming down by the road.

“Ah!!! The wind…so refreshing…” Xiu Min said, stretching himself as he stepped out from the car, looking at the port. We all went out, unloaded our bags and started heading to the port. Lay started asking a little man for a boat, as I walked around on the sea cliffs.

“Meeeooowww…” a black cat appeared at my feet, so suddenly and it made me jumped at the sight of it.

“Oh, hello there, little kitty…” I greeted her as I bent down to pat her ears. She was looking at me with blue eyes, staring so sharp as though she understand what I was talking about. I smiled at her.

“Do you live here???” I asked as she meowing again in respond. 

“Oit, Kris!!! Let’s go!!!” Lay called out for me and I nodded, waving at him to tell him that I heard him. Looking back at the cat, I grabbed her up and stared at her eyes.

“Guess this is a goodbye to us…” I said as I put her back down on the land. She stared at me again as I turned around and walked off.

“Picking up on a cat instead of a girl??? Nice for a loner…” teased Chen again as we boarded the boat. I glared at him but chose to drop the matter –it was useless to pick a fight with him.

“I’m going to get a girl on this trip…you guys just wait and see…” I said confidently as the boat’s engine started to roar. They all were wolf-whistled at me, only Tao was smirking and Luhan was yelling some encouraging words at me. As we rounded the port, I looked up at the tower and thought that I saw a girl at one of the windows. I shrugged as I looked properly and saw that it was empty. 

“Excuse me, can we go up to the tower of that lighthouse???” I asked the boat’s driver and he shook his head at me.

“Nope…it had long been empty so we decided to close it down…” he answered and we all nodded.

“Pity…I always thought the scenery up there is going to be really beautiful…” I commented as I looked up again at the tower. I don’t even know why but somehow, there was something that attracted me about the lighthouse. We passed it and headed straight to the island. Everyone was singing and I felt sleepy as the wind hit my face. It made me feel drowsy and I closed my eyes, thinking of having a nap for a while.

-A Walk to Remember-

I was walking around in a dark, circular room. Looking outside from the windows, I watched as the people boarded the boat on the port nearby the seaside. I was astonished as I looked up at the sky. The clear blue skies matched with the vast blue sea under it and somehow, it reminded me of a pair of blue eyes, but I can’t remember who those eyes belonged to.

“Good morning…” greeted a girl, softly behind me. I jumped a bit, shocked with her sudden appearance. Slowly, I turned my body around. Then, I saw a very pretty girl standing in front of me. She was wearing a white dress, above the knee-length, her shoulders exposed as she smiled at me. Her long hair that was set loose reached her waist as she turned her back on me, pacing one by one gracefully on her bare foot, like she was floating yet I’m sure she had been pacing on the same ground like I did.

“Goo…goo…good mor…morning…” I stammered with my words, stunned with her pretty features. I love perfect thing and she seems to be a perfect doll to me, flawless and exact. She looked around at me, her head titled a bit to a side as she smiled again.

“The scenery here is beautiful, right??? So breathtaking, I hardly able to breathe…” she said, her voice sounded silky and soft, yet she seems to choose her words with care and grace. I nodded, smiling.

“I think, it is me who is unable to breathe right now…your beauty had captured me…despite the scenery, I think is it you, who is the most beauty in here…” I said, feeling my confident level was back and my words seems to flow smoothly again. She let out a laugh, it sounded like music to me. Then, she smirked a bit, so pretty, I swore I was blinded instantly by her.

“Oh, my…you are flattering me…” she commented as she took another step, nearing the stairs. It seems like she was leaving and I didn’t want her to leave.

“I’m just telling you the truth…” I pressed on the matter, eager for the conversation to be continued. She smiled again at me and pouted a bit as she turned around, leaving for real now. I panicked as I reached out a hand to stop her.

“Don’t leave…I still want to talk to you…at least, tell me your name…” I said, frustrated. She looked back at me, swaying her body playfully as she stepped back in reverse, still wearing her mysterious smile.

“I will tell you my name when we meet again…” she replied me. Bowing her head, she left and I started yelling on top of my lungs to stop her.

“Don’t go yet!!! Don’t…” I started and…

-A Walk to Remember-

“Hey, Kris!!! Don’t go where??? Wake up, you sleepyhead!!!” Tao yelled at me and something hard had poked my eyes and I woke up instantly. I blinked at my friends.

“We are here…come on, moves…I’m starving…” Lay said, rolling his eyes as he picked up my bags. I sighed, shaking my head to clear the images of the girl that I had been dreaming earlier and stretched myself as I looked up again at the tower. It was situated nearby the port right now, where I was stepping out from my boat. 

“Eh…” I said, as I caught a glimpse of a girl standing at the window. But when I tried to look again, the window was once again empty and dusty.

“Omo…a fishing boat…thrilling…” commented Xiu Min as he spotted a boat. Lay nodded his head impatiently.

“Yes…yes…plenty of healthy fish to be catch but first we need to fill in our unhealthy stomach…” Lay said and he leads the way towards the nearest restaurant there. Chen stopped walking, his eyes fixed on the lighthouse.

“What???” Luhan asked him, looking at where he was staring.

“I thought I saw a girl there…” Chen replied and it made me looked around at once. Yet, the windows were empty again. 

“Nah…you must be dreaming…come on…” Luhan told Chen and after a minute staring at it, I finally tore my eyes away and walked on with them.

“MEEEEOOWWWW!!!” a black cat appeared at my feet again and I smiled as I saw it.

“Hello…” I said, bending down to pick it up. Xiu Min rolled his eyes.

“Picking up cat over girls again…” he said sarcastically as our friends roared with laughter. I ignored him as I stared at the cat. It was the cat I met earlier by the sea cliff. She had the same blue eyes. I blinked my eyes at her and she blinked back at me.

“How did you get here??? We crossed the sea in a boat to get to this island…are you taking the same boat with us???” I asked her but her respond was only with her eyes blinking. Feeling slightly stupid for talking with a cat, I put her back down on ground.

“See ya…” I told her as I followed the others. We ate at a restaurant and after asking about the nearest and comfortable hotel nearby the mushrooming seaside hotels, we walked there again, feeling exhausted and full.

“I want to try scuba diving…” Lay said once we entered the hotel’s lobby. I grinned at him.

“Make sure you report it to your daughter first…she will be dead worried if suddenly you are missing in the sea…” I teased Lay and he punched me lightly on the shoulder.

“Excuse me…can we have two rooms here???” Luhan asked the lady at the front desk. She shook her head as she consulted the lists on her laptop.

“Sorry, the rooms are fully booked this weekend sir…but, we have a small villa nearby the port, next to the lighthouse…do you want to have it, sir??? I’m sure it fit to all six of you…” she answered him, glancing around at all of us, smiling and bowing. Luhan glanced at us, his eyebrows raised.

“How much does it cost???” he asked, afraid that we can’t afford it yet Chen cut him off.

“Don’t mind the price, we will have it…” he told the lady there as we all grinned at him. Being a doctor, Chen never had problem with money at all.

“As expected from Dr Chen…you know, I love you…” I said, blowing a kiss at him. He rolled his eyes and smirked.

“Go get a girl…” he replied me and we all laughed. Five minutes later, we were all walking towards the villa. As we passed the lighthouse, I felt like I was been watched by someone. I looked around and saw the same black cat staring at me from down a big tree. I shrugged. Does a normal cat acted like that??? I started to wonder yet what was catching my attention was a white scarf tied up on a highest branch of that big tree.

“Who leave their scarf there???” I asked out as Lay looked at the tree.

“A perfectionist like you can never leave a single detail out huh? Let it be, Kris…” he told me, patting my back as we reached the villa. The worker opened the door for us and as we walked in, he clicked the light on. The living room was huge and there was a spiral staircase heading upstairs, in the middle of the hall. A chandelier was hung up on the ceiling, giving a romantic mood on the hall. I looked to my right and saw a piano situated at the corner of the room. On my left, I know it leads the way to the kitchen since Lay had noisily making his way there.

“What a pretty lady…” I heard Xiu Min’s words and I walked up on the stairs, to the first floor, where he, Tao and Chen were standing in front of a painting of a very pretty lady. There was a long table below the painting –two candles were burnt on it, giving ghostly shadows as people stood nearby the painting. I walked closer and gasped as I saw the painting.

“I know the girl…” I said slowly. They all looked at me, including the worker.

“Pardon???” he said, sounded shocked with my words.

“I know her…she talked to me…in my dream…” I explained and they burst out laughing. The worker let out a relief sigh as he excused himself from us.

“Too desperate for a girl…you can only talk to her in your dream, huh???” Chen commented as Tao nodded. Xiu Min simply grinned at me and they left to walk to their own rooms. I gulped as I stared back at the painting.

“Who are you actually???” I asked but no answer came to me.

 

"I choose to remember this walk because it is love that brings me there, to you..."