Drysdale - VI

Question Marks of Love

"I'm sorry about ago..." Luhan's arms lying on the railing pendulously.
"It wasn't your fault oppa." Charyeol was leaning on the wall, her palms on the wall. She's glued on the wall and only looking up in the sky. Luhan turned around to see Charyeol slowly going down in crouch position. He ran towards her side worried.
"Charyeol! Is there anything wrong?" He put his palm on her forehead.  He put the back of his hand on her neck, checking her temperature but she's absolutely fine.
"p-ppa, I'm fine." Charyeol slowly nodded. She wrapped her arms around her knees. He held on Charyeol's hand it feels cold as freezer.

Luhan tried to remember his past learnings why a person goes cold. Sick? He just checked, and she's not.
"Charry? Are you afraid... of heights?" They are currently at the roof top of a motel. 4th floor but 60 feet above. Charyeol barely nodded. Instead of asking her to go down, Luhan sat with her.
“You’re a giant yet you’re afraid of heights. You must be afraid of yourself too?” Luhan tried to eraser the fear in Charyeol. Or maybe lessen it.
“I also have acrophobia. But it’s not that worse anymore. I conquered it—a bit.” He says hoping Charyeol eases her fear.
“And you know what?! I did it alone. I first came here alone!” Luhan enthusiastically shared as he remembers the past.

His first memory of this place when he was dumped by Melody. He was alone and lonely looking down at the city, at the world.

Charyeol tilted her head and curved her lips. “Really? You did it oppa?” Luhan nooded. He stood up and reached his hand.
“What?” Charyeol asked.
“Just hold my hand.” And Charyeol did what she was told to do so. She reached her hand and stood up with Luhan. Slowly Luhan walked towards the railing. At first she was reluctant, like Luhan was dragging a monument. But the gentleness of Luhan made her believe and trust in him.
“Now, spread your arms.” Charyeol was just looking up. She did spread her arms. “Now close your eyes.” As Luhan commanded she followed.
“Can you feel the air?” Luhan’s last word was like a que for the air to gush forth. Charyeol didn’t notice that she already loves it showing a fresh smile on her face.

 

Walking back home seems tiring for Luhan.

“Oppa! Run! It’s almost dismissal time!” Charyeol said while walking backwards.
“You should be the one running. I can, not go back to the school. No one’s waiting there for me.” Luhan dragged his feet and carried his heavy shoulders.
“Oppa, you’re bad. You’ll let me go back alone?” Charyeol pouted.
“De, de. I’ll come with you. But let’s not run. I’m drained.”
“Didn’t the wind energize you?” Luhan shook his head.
“You were the one that told me to do it. Now you’re the one who failed in doing It.”
“I didn’t fail… I’m just… just tired that a gush of cold wind is not enough.”       

While Charyeol is dressing in her school uniform, Luhan washed the stress on his face by splashing water.

 

Going back to school feels like longer than going away. Luhan remembers what he was supposed to ask a while ago. A very a while ago.
“Charyeol, what was that you were suppose to say back then at the cafeteria?”
“Oh, that, I was just supposed to ask if I can have lunch with you. Then it happened.”
“Why, where are your friends?”
“They are back at my hometown.” Startled that a friendly person like Charry don’t have friends to have lunch with.
“I don’t have friends here yet oppa…” She is chewing her lips while looking at Luhan’s frowning face.
“What about the lad you were with last time I saw you when I was with Baekhyun?” The one that first bumped Baekhyun. That was Luhan supposed to say if she wanted to remember it.
“He has other friends—that don’t want me in their group.” Charyeol said who Luhan thinks she’s just assuming.
“How could you say that? Did they tell you? Did they?” He tilted his to see the giant’s face. Luhan was now enthusiastic and full of life just like Charyeol a while ago. But it was all drained in him when he saw Charyeol’s expression on her face. Frowning, eyebrow meet, and what’s that? Water formulates on the side of her eyes. Isn’t she overreacting? That’s the first thing that comes up in Luhan’s tingling brain.
“Why you’re suddenly down? I thought I was the one who wasn’t freshened up!” He stopped walking and doesn’t know why he did it, but his body volunteered to do so. He curled his arms into the giant’s body from beside.
“I and my friends are very welcome to add one more member.” Luhan said while his jaw is still hanging on the right shoulder of Charyeol.

“Charry, one more thing; why didn’t you tell me that you have fear of heights when we were up there?”
“It’s because you look really down after the two lady made a scene. You blamed yourself and even if I say it’s not your fault you still do. And I guess the place soothes you, ease your nerves since you were the one that brought me there.”
“Sorry… Herein our town—city I mean there’s no place where you can think and be alone while intaking some fresh air. Really, because you can’t breathe fresh air in the lavatory.” Last part was meant to be a joke.
“Not like in the past town I lived in, Drysdale. They—”
“Drysdale?! You lived there?! I did too!” Luhan was surprised not by the cutting of Charyeol but the fact that everybody seems to be leaving his favored place.
“Yah… I remember once hanging around the Yellow River.” Yellow River wasn’t exactly a river like the Yellow river of China but it’s a stream the water the flows turns yellow when night comes because of the moons reflection especially full moon. That is how it got its name.
“Charyeol, may I ask? Why did you transfer here?”
“Oh—it’s because of my father’s work…” There was silence for both of them as Luhan thinks of a person with a similar situation with Charyeol. Not by without friends but who also transferred here in a disorderly progressive place for a living.    
“You should speak sometimes. Not all the time people around you are curious and caring enough to ask.” Charyeol looked at Luhan with surprise and awe. A higshschool student—a junior high student infront of him is speaking words of wisdom.

Maybe Luhan doesn’t know that he does but deep inside Charyeol was moved by what he said. All her life she’d been just listening and not speaking. Waiting for the other person to start the conversation. Keeping everything inside until somebody asks.

 

After the long walk; they finally reached the school which is now crowded with going out students. “Guard, I just forgot something… I’ll be going inside.” Charyeol said to the guard who doesn’t care. Luhan who still wearing civilian wasn’t recognized by the school guard. “Uhm… I was absent this afternoon… I’m just… going to get books at my locker.” The guard just nooded.   

“Bye oppa!” Charyeol wave goodbye at him as they parted ways.  
“Where the heck have you been?” It was Sunny.
“Did you spend the whole afternoon with her?” Baekhyun asked as if ‘her’ is a horrible thing.
“Jinja?” It was Zelo.
“Please, one at a time…” Luhan raised his hands to move them away, for every question they ask they move inch closer to him.
“Yes I did."

 

 

Author's note: Yey! I'm back. Thanks for the 500+ views. (^~^)v Question do you want to know more of this Drysdale town?