The Attack

Before Rising Blood Academy

Mir was in hospital with a large bite mark on his side. None of us knew what the cause of it was and the injury to his head made damned sure he didn't remember. As I sat on the floor, head leant back against the wall I glanced at Jonghyun. I could tell he'd been crying as his eyes were red and he was still sniffling slightly, trying to hide it as he shuffled slightly closer to me. Mir had been in critical condition since we found out about what had happened. My heart had almost stopped beating the second I heard that I had let something happen to him.

"Jonghyun... it's going to be okay." I muttered softly, wrapping an arm around the others shoulders. Jonghyun just sniffed in response and rest his head against my shoulder. "We promised to protect him Kyuhyun... and now he's been bitten by some wild animal and he's almost dead." I glanced down, this was the first time I had seen Jonghyun so broken and scared. I shushed him, fingers running to hold his hair gently. Mir had scared me too, I had honestly thought we lost him but this wasn't the case, Mir was okay and the doctor walked out of the room at the right time to confirm it.

Jonghyun smiled at me, eyes teary as the doctor nodded in confirmation that we were allowed to go in and see him. The kid looked tired and beaten as we entered the crisp white hospital room. "Hey you..." I muttered with a small smile, instantely sitting on one side as Jonghyun took the other and we each took his hands. Mir smiled sleepily at us, obviously doped up on drugs to keep the pain at bay.

"Hey Kyunnie." Mir muttered, eyes turning to me with a small grin. I smiled weakly back at him, squeezing his fingers gently. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Jonghyun had started crying again so I tried to kept Mir's attention on me as I rambled on about soccer, one of Mir's loves. Jonghyun was quick at wiping away his tears but Mir noticed although he just kept his attention on me, inconspicuously  squeezing Jonghyuns hand.

Later that night Jonghyun and I were sitting by the river. I was tossing stones into the water as Jonghyun stared up at the sky hands behind his head. "Hey Kyuhyun..." I glanced over at the soft voice, Jonghyun seemed uncertain about something again. "Y-yeah?" I asked nervously, turning to sit across from him. He smiled slightly and me.

"Promise we'll always be together?" I blinked at this, the look of confusion on my face evident because Jonghyun laughed softly and just smiled at me, shaking his head. "Never mind." He pulled back for a second before pushing me hard into the water. I gasped for breath as my head broke back through the freezing water and I glared at him, leaping up to drag him back in with me. He fought valiently but unfortunately for him I would always be stronger and the next thing we were both saturated in the water.

"Dammit Kyuhyun, now I'm saturated!" He cried out and I just laughed, splashing him as he glared. Jonghyun swam over and crouched on a rock I was leaning in within the water. "Mir will be okay right Kyunnie?" He asked softly, head resting on my shoulder like it was the most natural thing in the world.  I nodded. "Of course he'll be okay, he's just a bit beaten at the moment." We had no idea what had got Mir, the doctor had said there was a large gauge out of his side but it appeared to be healing nicely.


It was easy for us to sit in silence, watching the moon. There was something about the stars around us and the crickets chirping in the background that made me feel complete. I knew by now that I was in love with my best friend and I glanced down at him. He had this way of staring up at the stars, eyes sparkling and I couldn't help the smile that crept to my face. I just wished that in that moment I could kiss him and tell him I loved him. But he wasn't mine to do so with. And so with a sigh I slipped my fingers through his and tugged him gently. "C'mon Jong we need to get home." I whispered, not really wanting to break the silence.

Jonghyun was silent as he slipped out of the water, still clinging tightly to my hand as we walked home. Things felt right in that moment even with the scare from that stupid kid. But somehow when it was just the two of us I felt like things were really going to be okay. Little did I know it wasn't going too be long before stuff fell apart. Not long at all...