Introduction

Before Rising Blood Academy

Jonghyun and I had met one night when my puppy had died. It was winter, snow falling in a soft white sheet around my house as I tried to dig a dirt hole on the front of my lawn. I had tears streaming down my face and I was sure to get sniffles. But I was determined, the dog was going to get proper burial whether I got sick or not. It was only when I was taking a break and brushing my hair out of my eyes that I glanced up and noticed a short boy watching me. I had glared at him, although the memory makes me laugh now. He had been adorable even then. Especially then.

 

What surprised me the most was he didn't back away when I glared. I knew my glare was fierce, I had dark eyes with black bangs that hug low so i looked like I constantely had a scowl. I figured it must been the fact I had been crying and my face was obviously dirty and tear streaked as he instead moved towards me, obviously not in the least afraid. I raised an eyebrow before turning away determined to continue with my digging. I wiped furiously at my face before growling out in as low a voice as I had been able to muster in my before puberty state.

 

"Is there something you want kid?" I mean come on... he was tiny, he must be younger than me.

 

He didn't say much just silently stood beside me, shivering in the meantime. Then I realised he had been looking at Cocoa. He had been looking at my dead dog. I glanced sideways at him. He smiled a small, soft and innocent smile. It was in that moment I had frozen, heart thumping hard in my chest as I watched this small innocent thing that just take the spare shovel lying behind me and start to help me dig. This kid.

 

After we had placed the dog in the hole, silent the entire time he helped me fill it in before moving around and taking my hand. I shivered when his warm skin made contact with mine. At the time I shook it off as the cold... but let's face it I was six, I didn't realise that somehow this kid was pulling at my heartstrings, playing me like a tune he knew so well. I cried that night, upset that my best friend, my dog, my companion was dead. And yet this kid... this kid held me, comforted me, my hair as I cried and cried and cried. I felt like I had known him for years... and suddenly it was dark and my heart broke again when he had to leave. Before left he did utter one small sentence.

 

"Meet me tomorrow?" His voice was small and perfect. I remember my eyes grew wide as I nodded, allowing him to slip his hand from mine and he gave a small wave, running back to his home which I had noted was next door. I remember looking down at my hand that night as I lay in bed wondering why it was still tingly, wondering why it was still warm.
 

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and tear stained cheeks. At the time I was too young to understand why there felt like there was a gaping hole in my heart. Brushing my dark bangs out of my face I slipped from the bed and stood in front of the mirror with a deep sigh. I had felt very alone in that second, forgotten by the one thing that had kept me company through all the rough patches in life. I glanced towards the window, pleased to see it was still snowing.

 

I passed Hyunseok on my way out of the door, busy playing with those stupid cards as per usual. I barely allowed him a glance, him and I didn't get along or cross paths unless absolutely required. Outside I noticed some kid sitting by my letter box. I was startled for a second. Oh. Oh. It was that kid. I ran over, sitting next to him with a small smile on my face. I tried to ignore the clenching in my stomach as I muttered quietly. "Hey you."

 

He looked startled as he glanced to me before a small grin spread across his face and his eyes lit up. I realised he hadn't actually heard me speak and I smiled, poking his cheek gently with my finger. "Why did you wanna meet up today?" I asked curiously, head tilted to the side as he smiled back at me. I ignored the fact that it made my heart pound. He had this strange quirk I had already picked up on where he would lean closer when he was going to talk. "You looked like you needed a friend." He said with a shrug before standing up and putting his hand out as if to help him up.

 

I stared at his hand like it was the most foreign thing in the world before I took it, unsure and hesitant. I was surprised he managed to drag me up as I blindly followed him, his fingers somehow linked with mine and somehow it just felt right. He led me towards the woods and I grinned. I hardly knew this kid and already I felt like we were going to get along just fine.

 

The river was warm as I waded through the shallow end, clothes scattered across the stones. Jonghyun, as I had just learnt was this kids name, was pretending to guard my clothes, stick in his hand as he pretended it was a sword. "Where are you from?" I called, ducking under quickly and coming up to shake my hair out, spraying water everywhere. Jonghyun just raised an eyebrow and sat down close to the water. "Here." He answered before laughing, a soft tinkling sound that was almost magical. I paused in my swimming to watch him. "I've lived next door to you since forever." He said, obviously amused as I flushed pink, ducking back into the water to hide my embarassment.

 

And from that moment on Jonghyun and I had become inseperable. He was from that moment on... my best friend in the entire world. He became my wolf pack.