Crazy Promises

Before Rising Blood Academy

If there was one thing I'd noticed in the past 3 years, 11 months and 24 days of being Jonghyun's friend it was that he had very warm hands. And a rather adorable tendancy to be clingy. It was midnight and we were currently in my room, his fingers linked through mine. I could feel my own eyes drooping as I ran a thumb gently along the back of his hand, settling further back into the blankets. He was sprawled across my chest and between my two legs with his ear resting over my heart. For the first time in my very short life span I think I felt complete. I know for a fact it was his soft breathing that sent me into my own slumber, for once no strange nightmares plaguing my sleep.


We were very rudely awoken a few hours later by the cries of a wounded dog. I sat up quickly, not realising Jonghyun had moved in the night and ended up straddling me. We were young but even then I couldn't fight the blush rising to my cheeks as our noses pressed together, him obviously still half asleep. I tried to move away but the whine that left my friends mouth at the movement halted me in my tracks and I waited until he was awake enough to climb off my lap himself. I couldn't help but stare at the boy in front of me as he rubbed sleep out of his eyes, obviously still exhausted.

 

It was in this moment, as I stared in wonder, that the animal cried again and I winced this time, hating the sound of anything in pain. I leant forward, burying my face against Jonghyun's chest and pointedly ignoring the smug look on his face. He didn't hesitate before I felt soft fingers running through my hair, soothing gently. I let out a shuddering breath when I heard the cries fade, moving away. The fingers in my hair didn't stop however until I was lulled back into sleep, a sense of security surrounding me. Even now the fact that just Jonghyun's presence could do that startled me.

 

When I woke up Jonghyun had disappeared, obviously told sternly to go home by his parents. I didn't mind, he'd left behind the cake he'd made with a small note telling me not to eat too much or I'd get fat. I just laughed at him and took a huge bite before turning towards my workbench in the corner. My father was a skilled jeweller, teaching me all the tricks of the trade since I had been born. For the past 2 years, 11 months and 24 days I had been working on something difficult. It had been scrapped and restarted more then 50 times and broken more than 65. But I was convinced as I set to work on the finishing touches that this time, this was the one I could finally use.

 

It was made of silver, pure untainted silver and I smiled slightly as I tightened the string holding it. Jonghyun wasn't my boyfriend but he was my best friend. We joked to each other about being a wolf pack and that one day we'd run off together towards the moonlight. The memories always made me smile... even if I was unsure what had caused Jong to come to me that day I certainly thanked every god in existence that he had because he was certainly the thing I'd needed the most. I carried this thought with me as I walked towards the usual meeting place, fingers locked around the small silver celtic twist in my pocket.

 

As I sat beside the river in the snow, trying to convince myself that I wasn't nervous, I didn't notice Jonghyun's presence until he was tackling me to the ground pressing an awful array of kisses on my face. "Gross Jonghyun, your breath smells like dog!" I cried out playfully as I fought against him, gaining the upper hand with my longer limbs and pressed him into the ground. He just smiled his innocent smile that always made me let him go and gruffly proclaim that he was a loser. Jonghyun chuckled and sat next to me, bumping his shoulder against mine.

 

"I got your present then!" He said pulling out a small parcel. It had been the tradition for the past two years, this being the third, that we make each other something to remind the other that we were best friend's for life and no force in existence could ever change that. I smiled and pulled my hand out of pocket, fist tightly closed around the necklace.

 

"Me first okay?" I whispered, trying to ignore the shake in my voice as I motioned for him to turn around. He did so without hesitation, his trust in me something I had long since gotten used to. I lowered the necklace over his face and fastened it along his neck as he let out a small gasp and his fingers immediately jumped up to press against it. He knew I'd made it myself, it was obvious now I looked at it closer, small imperfections and scratches easily picked up. I flushed in embarassment but when he glanced back at me his cheeks were wet with tears.

 

The next thing I knew Jonghyun had flung his arms around my neck and his lips were against mine. It was sloppy and wet but he was warm, oh so warm, fingers clutching tightly in my hair as he pulled away to brush his tears from his face. "You're so amazing Kyun..." He muttered, fingers playing with the necklace again. I bit back the snarl that threatened to come out from the nickname but I was still a bit amazed he'd kissed me. Of course... he didn't like me like I liked him. I don't even think he was gay.

 

He just grinned up at me as he pressed the parcel into my hand and I glanced down, pulling the cloth off it to reveal a wooden box, an interesting design on the top. I let out a small noise of approval, fingers running along the smooth edges. Jonghyun's father was a carpenter and much like my own had taught his son the tricks of his trade. Jonghyun had certainly come along a lot more nicely than I had with my trade. I glanced up and leaned forward to kiss his cheek. "Thank you..." I whispered closed to his ear, knowing that this was going to keep all our secret notes to each other. Jonghyun shuddered, whether from my voice or I cold I wasn't sure.

 

It had been a more than pleasant start to the morning. Little did we know that this was going to be the very beginning to everything that would tear us apart, emotionally and physically. The wolves were gathering, ready to catch their prey.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyuhyun's gift to Jonghyun:

And Jonghyun's to Kyuhyun: