Avoiding Him

That's The Way Love Goes

“I have to go Mel.” announced Kim.

“Ha? But didn’t Gerald ask you to wait for him?”

“I know pero kailangan ko na talagang umalis. Tatapusin ko pa yung report ko.” explained Kim.

“Eh sandali na lang naman ang hihintayin mo eh. Just wait for him.”

“Just tell him I had to leave. Maiintindihan niya na yun.”

Mel shook her head. “Alam mo Kim. Nakakatawa ka rin. You’re leaving because you’re jealous. Jealous over a guy..”

“That’s not reason why I’m leaving. I already told you I need to finish my report.”

Melissa raised her hand in surrender. “Fine, fine.. I’ll tell him you had to leave but I can’t guarantee you that he’s going to believe that. You better explain everything to him later on.”

Kim gave Melissa a hug. “Thanks friend. I’ll see you at home.” She grabbed her purse and walked away.

Five minutes later Melissa saw Matt, Gerald and Rayver walk out the locker room. Matt walked up to her and gave her a kiss. “Rayver, this is Melissa. My girlfriend.”

Rayver extended his right hand and shook Melissa’s. “It was nice to finally meet you Melissa. I can see why puro na lang Melissa ang lumalabas sa bibig nitong si Matt.”

Melissa laughed while Matt hit his friend jokingly. “Don’t hit on my girlfriend pare.”

“Mel, si Kim? Nasa washroom ba?” interrupted Gerald.

Rayver looked at Gerald. “Kim? Yun ba yung chinitang kasama ni Melissa kanina na tili ng tili kapag hawak mo ang bola?”

Matt laughed out loud. “Oo pare, bagong cheerleader ni Gerald.”

Melissa elbowed Matt on his stomach. “Naku Gerald, nauna na si Kim. Kailangan pa daw niya kasing tapusin yung report niya eh.”

Gerald’s face fell. “Ganon ba. Sayang naman, papakilala ko pa naman siya kay Rayver.”

“Yeah.. Sabi nga niya sorry daw talaga. Siguro next time na lang daw.” explained Melissa.

“Pare, bagong mong chica?” asked Rayver.

Gerald smiled. “No, she’s more than that..”

***

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

“Kim! Cellphone mo nagriring na naman!”

Kim ran to their living room to answer her phone. She checked her caller ID to find that it was Gerald who’s calling her. She placed her phone back on the table and sat beside Melissa.

Melissa stopped watching her show and turned to Kim. “Hindi mo ba sasagutin yung phone mo?”

Kim shook her head slowly. “Hindi.”

“Kim, Thursday na.. He’s been calling you since nakauwi siya ng bahay nila last Sunday.”

“Hayaan mo siya. Magsasawa din yan.”

“Bakit ba ayaw mong sagutin? Pati messages niya hindi mo rin sinasagot.”

“Wala lang.”

“Wala lang? Kim, nag-aalala na yung tao. He’s called our house so many times and hindi ko na alam kung anong reason ang sasabihin ko the next time he calls. Ano ba talagang problema?” Melissa took Kim’s hand and placed it on her lap.

Kim gave up. “Kasi... Natatakot ako.”

“Natatakot ka? Kay Gerald?”

“Hindi! Well actually, oo.”

“Bakit ka natatakot kay Gerald?”

“Okay, not really kay Gerald. More on myself.” she confessed.

Melissa rubbed her forehead. “Kim, hindi kita maintindihan.”

“Natatakot ako kasi narealize ko na I do like him, and not just a friend. Paano kung mahalata niya? Paano kung malaman niya na may crush pala ako sa kanya? Ayokong malalaman niya. Nakakahiya!”

“Don’t worry about that. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to notice. Saka so what? It’s just a crush. I’m sure naman na madami na ding nagka-crush sa kaniya before.”

“I just don’t want him to know that I like him. I don’t want to ruin the friendship that we have.”

“You know what I think? I think you should tell him.”

“Sira ka ba? Tell him? I just told you ayokong ma-ruin yung friendship namin!”

Melissa shrugged. “You never know.. Malay mo ma-convert mo siya? And then your friendship witll turn into love!”

“Please, he’s inlove with another guy.”

“Hindi ka pa naman sigurado di ba? Sinabi ba niya na si Rayver yun?”

“Hindi.” Kim sighed. “Pero dun sa description niya and the way he is with Rayver, parang siya na talaga yun eh.”

“Ewan ko sayo Kimmy. Basta ako, if I were you, I’d tell him.”

“No thanks.”

“So you’re just never going to talk to him again?” asked Melissa.

“Of course not. I’m just getting myself ready..”

***

It’s been a long day for Kim. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. First, she forgot her report at home so she had to go back ang get it. Because she went back home, she arrived at work late. When she finally got to her desk, she accidentally spilled coffee on her report. It took her 3 hours to redo everything and by that time, her boss was fuming.

“One more hour and I’m finally free.” Kim stopped typing. She leaned back on her chair and started stretching when she heard a commotion in the office. She stopped one of her coworkers and asked what’s going on.

“Hey Erich, anong meron?”

“There’s a really hot guy in the lobby. Alam mo naman mga tao dito mga tsismosa. I heard the guy talked to our boss too. Baka mag-aapply for a job?”

Kim rolled her eyes and continued stretching.

“Oh my god, he’s walking towards here.” blurted Erich.

“Baka may susunduin.” suggested Kim as she went back to finish her article. She grabbed her coffee mug and started drinking.

“Oh my god, he’s here.” whispered Erich.

Kim placed her coffee mug down. “Okay Erich, you don’t have to give me the play by play.” She turned her head to where Erich was standing only to find the “hot guy” standing in front of her cubicle, holding a bouquet of flowers. She stared at him, wide-eyed.

“Gerald?”

“Hi Kim!” Gerald greeted her with a smile. “I wanted to suprise you.”

Kim’s definitely surprised. “Anong ginagawa mo dito?”

“These are for you.” Gerald gave her the bouquet. “I wanted to see if you’d like to go have dinner with me.”

Kim looked up. ‘Lord... This is unfair.. How can I say no to that?’

Gerald followed her gaze. “Anong meron?”

“Wala, wala.. Uhmm.. I don’t get off for another hour.”

“I know that. That’s why I talked to your boss. It turns out my parents know him. Oh and yeah, he said you can leave now.”

“Ano?” she looked at him. “Hindi nga?”

“I’m not kidding.”

“Face your fears Kim. Kaya mo yan..” she whispered to herself.

“May sinabi ka?” asked Gerald.

“I’m just gonna clean my table up. I’ll be done in 2 minutes.”

After Kim was done, she grabbed her purse and the bouquet. “Ready.” she smiled.

“Okay, let’s go.” Gerald placed his hand behind her back and led her out her office. Kim couldn’t help but blush when she noticed that everyone was staring at them. Gerald opened the door to his car and let her in. Kim sat in the front seat and smelled her flowers.

“Thank you sa flowers.” She said as Gerald took his seat on the driver’s side. “I love the tulips and rose combination. Pero tanong lang, bakit flowers?”

“I’m glad you like it.” Kim expected Gerald to start the car but he just stood there staring at the car in front of them.

“Ge? Is something wrong?” Kim is getting worried. What if for some reason Gerald realized that she likes him?

Gerald turned his head and looked at Kim. “I think I’m suppose to ask that question. Did I do something wrong? Whatever I did, I’m really sorry.” Gerald took Kim’s hand and wrapped it on his own.

Kim’s heart started beating fast. “No, nothing’s wrong. Bakit mo natanong? And why are you saying sorry? You didn’t do anything.”

“Kasi, I think you’ve been avoiding me. You don’t answer my calls and hindi ka rin nagrereply sa mga messages ko.”

“Sorry. Super busy lang talaga this whole week.” she tried to explain.

“Are you sure? Nothing’s wrong between us?”

Kim shook her head. If there’s anything wrong, it’s just her. She was the one who has a crush on him. She smiled. “Everything’s good.”

Gerald smiled back. “That’s good. You had me worried.” he confessed.

“Awww... Sorry talaga. What can I do to make up for it?” she asked.

“You can give me a hug if you want..” Gerald opened his arms in invitation. Kim leaned towards him and wrapped her arms around him.

‘Hmmm... I can stay like this forever.. Kung hindi ka lang bakla..’

They let go of each other. “So? Where are we eating?” asked Kim.

“Well, the last time I was at your house, you cooked breakfast for me. So, I thought I can cook dinner for you.”

Kim face lit up. “Really? You’re going to cook dinner for me?”

Gerald nodded his head. “Yup, so we’re going back to my house. Is that okay?”

“Yup!”

It took them one hour to drive back to Gerald’s house. Gerald opened the door for Kim and the lights. “Matt isn’t here right now. He went out with Melissa.”

“Yeah, sabi ni Melissa ipapakilala daw niya si Matt sa parents niya.”

Gerald laughed. “Kaya pala medyo kabado si Matt kanina. Hindi mapakali. He’s meeting the in-laws pala..”

Kim looked around the house. “Wow... Ang laki naman ng house niyo.”

“Hindi naman.. Konti lang kasi ang gamit kaya it seems like it’s big.” Gerald led her to their living room. “Upo ka na lang. Make yourself at home. I’ll just be in the kitchen.”

“Are you sure you don’t want my help?” asked Kim.

“Nope. Just sit there and relax. I’ll call you when dinner’s ready.” Gerald walked away to where she presumed the kitchen is. She picked up the remote and the tv.

“Tama ba ‘tong ginagawa ko? Kahapon lang hindi ko sinasagot ang mga tawag niya tapos ngayon nandito ako sa bahay niya at pinagluluto pa niya ako ng dinner.” Kim asked herself. “Pero, malungkot naman kapag hindi ko siya nakikita.. Hay naku.. Handa ka na ba Kim? Kaya mo bang itago yan nararamdaman mo?” she poked her chest. She took a deep breath and clenched her fists. “Kaya ko ‘to! Tira tira sabi nga ni Jasmine.”

Kim watched for about 30 minutes but got bored. She stood up and walked to the kitchen. She stuck out her head by the door and saw Gerald chopping vegetables. “I’m here to help.” she declared.

Gerald looked up in surprise. “I thought I told you to just relax?”

Kim shrugged. “It’s boring there without you.” She realized what she said and she backpedaled. “What I meant was, mag-isa lang kasi ako dun.. Nakakalungkot.”

Gerald nodded. “Okay, kung gusto mo talagang tumulong.” He motioned for her to come towards him. “Can you cut the vegetables while I check the steak dun sa grill?” Gerald handed her the knife. “Be careful okay? Matalas yung kutsilyo.”

“Ano ka ba... Nakapag-gayat na po ako ng gulay noon. Wag kang mag-alala.” Kim started chopping the vegetables while Gerald walked out to see if the steaks are done. He looked back in the kitchen and saw Kim. He could get used to that sight. He opened the grill and checked the steaks. “2 more minutes.” He walked inside the house.

“Kim?”

Kim was taken by surprise that her hands slipped and instead of cutting the vegetables, she cut her fingers. “Owww!”

Gerald was immediately by her side. “Sorry.. I didn’t mean to suprise you.”

Kim hissed. “It’s okay.” She looked at her bleeding finger. “Kaya lang ang sakit and it’s bleeding.”

Gerald took her fingers and placed it in his mouth to stop the bleeding. As soon as Kim realized what happened she stopped breathing. Blood rushed to her face and her cheeks started feeling warm. She looked at her finger, then at his lips and finally at his eyes. She was right, he was staring at her. And she was blushing too! But what can she do? Her finger, in his mouth.. She’s gonna have a heart attack if this continues. She snatched her finger back. “Oh, hindi na nagdudugo.”

Gerald reluctantly let her hands go. “I told you to be careful.”

Kim looked away from him to hide her obvious blush. “Sorry. I’m just going to wash and clean it. Do you have a first aid kit?”

“I’ll grab it.” Gerald walked out the room. Kim sat down and started breathing slowly. “Okay Kim, relax ka lang. Inhale... Exhale..”

Gerald came back with the first aid kit. He kneeled on the floor and applied some antiseptic on the cut. Kim pulled her finger back. “Ouch.. Sakit..” she whined.

Gerald smiled. “Ikaw kasi, magugulatin.” He took Kim’s hand and blew air to her fingers. “Better?” he asked.

Kim smiled and nodded. After the antiseptic, Gerald put band-aid around it. He then placed a kiss on where the cut was suppose to be. “To make it all better.” he added.

All Kim could do was blush. She could get used to this...

“Shoot!” Gerald exclaimed. “The steak!” He rushed outside only to find that the steak is now charcoal. Kim went after him and saw what happened. She burst into laughter.

“I guess we’re ordering take out again?”