Passenger Seat

Passenger Seat

 

I was driving my car, trying my hardest to focus on the road but I just couldn't resist taking a glance every now and then on the girl seating beside me. She was looking outside through the open window of my car. She closed her eyes, feeling the cold breeze whipping across her soft skin.  

 
If only I could touch her brown silky hair. If I could just caress her beautiful face, If I could just kiss her luscious lips. I would.
I definitely would. But I couldn't....
 
 
I needed to focus on the road.
 
 
My heart beats even faster when her sweet scent filled the entire car. I inhaled it deeply, allowing her intoxicating scent to calm my pounding heart.
 
 
"Fishy,"  I felt as if my heart skipped a beat when she suddenly called me with her sweet voice, her eyes were still closed.
 
 
"Y-yes, Tokki?"
 
 
"You know we would meet an accident if you won't quit looking at me." She softly said in a mocking way.
 
 
I couldn't help not to chuckle in response. She opened her brown eyes to shot me a glare before she punched my arm playfully in return. I blushed and shook my head slightly, "You know I can't help it." I teased back. She rolled her eyes, a tiny grin formed her lips, "Idiot," she mumbled.
 
 
Well, she often caught me glancing at her so it was not really a big deal. Maybe I was really obvious...
 
 
Too obvious that she was already used to those failed hints of mine. I let out a sarcastic laugh at myself.
 
 
If only I have a courage to tell her...  I shook my head a little to remove all those ridiculous thoughts in my head.
 
 
Dara and I have been best friend ever since we were five.  We practically grew up together. We never kept a secret from each other. Well, except for one...
 
We were always supporting each other in every milestone of our life--- our first crush, first sip of beer, first love, and even our first broken heart. 
We loved to annoy each other, but we were always there for one another no matter how busy we were.
 
She was there beside me when my father died. She never left me when I lost all my hope. She even chose to stay here with me even when her family decided to live in Busan.
 
 
She seen me at my best and loved at my worst... but only as her best friend.
 
 
I swallowed softly as I tried to concentrate on the road but I just could not control the urge not to look at her. I stole a glance again, this time from my rear view mirror pretending I was fixing it, only to find out she was already staring at me with her sweet smile that could melt even the hardest heart.
 
 
Our eyes met for a second before I averted it to look on the road. I felt like my heart stopped. Literally.
 
 
Damn she caught me again!  I quickly bit my lips to stop my giddy smile but I could feel my lips twitch already into a smile. 
 
 
Damn this heart!
 
 
She giggled before she playfully hit my cheek softly. "Is there something wrong with my face, fishy?" she asked playfully.
 
 
I shook my head in reply, pretending to concentrate on the road.
 
 
She nodded, biting her lower lip, "Hmm..  Are you okay, Fishy? I notice you seem to be troubled." 
 
 
"O-of course! I'm more than okay. Never been better! Pffft! How about you? Are you happy?" I gulped nervously, avoiding her curious eyes.
 
 
"Of course I am! What kind of question is that?" she said before turning her head away. 
 
 
A sigh escaped my lips. "I know you are. I am just joking." I mumbled. I glanced at her, and saw her pouting face on the side view mirror. I let out a deep sigh before I asked her, "Hey, Tokki. Do you want to listen to some music?" I quickly bit my lip to prevent myself from smiling.
 
 
She rolled her eyes and turned her head to the window to cover a smile threatening on her lips.  "Pfft! Don't tell me your favorite song again." she muttered.
 
 
I couldn't help not to laugh at her response whenever I asked her that. It was true that every time she was in my car, I always played a certain song. 
 
 
In that way somehow, I could at least express my real feelings for her.
 
 
I quickly pressed the stereo and pretended to strum a guitar as soon as I heard a soft guitar playing through the speakers. 
 
 
~I look at her and have to smile
As we go driving for a while~
 
 
I playfully sang along to the song with matching hand gestures and even facial expression while glancing at her every second.
 
 
She quickly turned her head to the window with her chin in her hand, trying to pretend she was mad, but the twitches in the corners of her lips were giving her away.
 
 
I reached out and teasingly ran my fingers through her hair as I sang, "Looking nowhere in the open window of my car~~~"
 
 
"Yah! Stop it Fishy. Why don't you just focus on the road instead?!" Dara yelled as she brushed my hand off her hair. She then sat straight with her crossed arms, staring out the front windshield, still avoiding my gaze.
 
 
"Are you still mad at me, Tokki? You know I'm just joking. Don't be mad at me, especially now. Please?" I said as I glanced at her with my pleading eyes before I poked her tummy, making her flinched a bit, "Yieep! She will smile now. Tickle, tickle~~" I added in a singing tone as I tickled her tummy. 
 
 
"Lee Donghae!" she shouted, "Would you stop?! This is not funny anymore! I would really punch you if you don't stoppppppp! Yah!" she yelled at me to stop, but I still tickled her more. She tried to struggle but she was afraid it would distract my driving.
 
 
"UGH! Fine! I give up! I CAN'T BREATH ANYMORE!"
 
 
"No! Tell me you're not mad at me, then I will stop." I said and stuck my tongue out at her.
 
 
"UGH! Fine! I'm not---
LOOK AT THE ROAD, FISHY! RED LIGHTS! RED LIGHTS! STOOOOOOP! Fishy STOP!"  She screamed louder while pointing up at the red light.
 
 
I quickly looked up at the red light before I pulled the car to a stop. I sighed in relief before I turned towards her, grinning.
"Phew! That was close. Thanks...so where are we now?" I teasingly said, threateningly. 
 
 
She looked at me in disbelief before she quickly scrunched her nose and raised her hands in a fist, motioning she would punch me if I tickled her again.
 
 I smiled widely at her cuteness before I sang, "And as we go the traffic lights
Watch them glimmer in her eyes
In the darkness of the evening~~♫"
 
 
"Aisssh! Would you quit that already, Fishy?! I sometimes wonder if you are a girl. You are so cheesy!" she retorted with a playful grin.
 
 
"You know that I'm just like this when I'm with---" 
 
"JUST FOCUS ON THE ROAD, Fishy!" she cut me off, "You almost ran into a red light. Aisssh! Why don't we stop at that store for a while? You probably need some rest or water to flash your cheesiness. Hmp!" She rolled her eyes and shook her head, but she couldn't hide a grin that quickly spread across her face.
 
 
I looked at her with a smile. "No, rabbit,  I don't need water because..." My expression suddenly turned serious,
"I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat~
 
Oh and I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that (she's) YOUR inches from me~ " 
 
 
I sang those lines whole heartedly while glancing into her eyes, but she just rolled her eyes, ignoring me. She turned her head to look out the window, "Well, I need to drink water because you almost gave me a heart attack! Tsk.
And could you quit that already, Fishy? Haist!" she said.
 
 
I let out a sad chuckle, "Fine. Your wish is my command, my princess." I swallowed my sadness as I pulled into the parking lot of the store. 
 
"Are you sure you don't want anything?" she asked. I shook my head and just gave her a smile. "Fine! I won't buy you anything then. You just wait for me here. I'll make sure you will regret this. Hmp!" She playfully glared at me, pointing at my chest before she got off the car.
 
 
"I definitely will...but I will always wait for you, Rabbit." I mumbled to myself. A sudden pain constricted my heart as I watched her walking away.
 
 
♫ We stop to get something to drink
My mind pounds and I can't think
Scared to death to say I love her
Then a moon peeks from the clouds
Hear my heart that beats so loud
Try to tell her simply~
 
That I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat
Oh I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me
 
 
Oh and I know this love grow~
 
 
 
I have known Dara for my whole life and yet she could still surprise me by the things she does sometimes...well, most of the time.
 
 
I don't even remember when did I start looking at her in a different light. I just all of a sudden started laughing at her silly jokes that weren't even funny. My heart suddenly beats faster every time our hands accidentally brushed against each other.  Her sweet smile suddenly light up my empty heart, and I couldn't help not to melt every time our eyes met.
 
And when I see her tears, it kills me deep inside. I just want to destroy everything that tries to hurt her.
 
I never really expected that the clumsy, cry-baby, and childish best friend of mine would suddenly turn out to be the girl of my dream. She became the most important thing in my life. That's why I never had the courage to tell her how I feel. 
 
I suddenly snapped out of my trance when I saw her proudly waving a popsicle as she walked towards the car.
 
 
I couldn't help not to laugh at her cuteness. She looked so sweet and funny like a naive little girl.
 
"Let's go?" she asked as she got in the car. I gathered up all my courage to put a smile on my face.
I did promise myself that before this day ended, I would confess my real feelings for her. But somehow, every time I tried I got tongue tied. I felt like my heart would explode just by the thought of it.
 
"You okay, fishy?" Dara said, waving her hand in front of my eyes. I snapped out of my reverie and quickly averted my gaze. "Y-yeah."
I took a deep breath before I pulled the car out of the parking lot. I tried to concentrate thinking on how should I confess to her, but I just couldn't focus as she was making noises while eating her popsicle.
 
 
"Mmm.. Yummy." Dara playfully said as she slowly the popsicle with her soft pinkish tongue. She then placed the popsicle in and began to all the flavors out. 
 
 
I couldn't help not to gulp really hard. I tried my hardest to focus on the road instead, ignoring her moans or that kind of sounds she was making, but damn it...! It was very, VERY hard not to think dirty thoughts while she was doing that.
 
I turned the music up louder to erase that dirty thoughts in my mind but she wouldn't stop teasing me.
 
"Aissssh! Would you stop...making noise while THAT thing?!" I asked irritated.
 
 
"Why? Mmm.." she playfully again her popsicle, "Are you jealou-"  
 
 
"N-no! With that?! Ha ha! " I shouted. "Of course... not. Tsk." I bit my lower lip when she looked at me in surprise.
 
"I mean I am not jealous with that popsicle. I am jealous with you because you have a popsicle." I hastily said, almost babbling. 
 
 
Crap! What the heck am I saying?! I bit my lip as I watched her furrowed her brow in confusion. 
 
 
"Where is my popsicle by the way?!" I quickly changed the topic.
 
 
"Nothing. I only bought one since you told me you don't want anything. Too bad it was your favorite flavor...strawberry chocolate...Mmm...Yummy!" She smirked before she began to her popsicle again.
 
 
"Tsk. Selfish rabbit!"
 
"No! I'm not. I did ask you what you want, remember?!"
 
"Fine! Then let me just have a bite with that." I retorted.
 
"Eww! You do see that my saliva is all over this popsicle!" 
 
"I know! But...I do like that flavor better. Ahh..." I opened my mouth wide and glanced at her from the corner of my eye. I could not help not to chuckle at her expression. "No! It's your punishment for annoying me and it's eww!" she replied indignantly.
 
 
"Selfish!" I pouted before I stopped at the red light. She was laughing at me when I suddenly turned towards her and ate the half of her popsicle.
 
 
"Ohhh! It's cold!" I , showing the half of popsicle in my mouth.
 
 
She immediately stopped laughing and gazed at me in disbelief with her wide open eyes. Her jaw dropped open.
 
 
I almost dropped the popsicle in my mouth at her reaction. I somehow thought she was going to cry. I burst out laughing causing the juices of the popsicle drip out of my mouth.
 
 
She suddenly burst out laughing with me and quickly hit my arm slightly. 
 
 
"You are so disgusting, Fishy! You never really change at all." She smiled at me and moved a little bit closer, our faces were almost an inch apart. She softly wiped my mouth with her pink hanky. It felt like time stopped when our eyes suddenly met. I subconsciously gazed down at her red soft lips. 
 
 
"Hey Fishy, What are you looking at?" she asked, grinning.
 
"No-nothing." I stuttered, and quickly averted my eyes.
 
"Ows?" 
 
"Well, I was actually looking at your Popsi--Yum-cle. Mmm..!" I said as I the left over popsicle she was holding in her hand.
 
"Yah! You ate the half already! This is mine!" she shouted and slightly pushed my chest. 
 
"But I want more!" I pouted. I quickly leaned closer to her popsicle but she immediately shove it in , making our lips accidentally brushed against each other.
 
 
I could literally hear every heart beat in my chest when a loud honk suddenly awakened my senses. 
 
 
We quickly pulled away from each other, as if we'd been burned. Our faces seemed to turn bright red.
 
 
"It was already green light." she said, looking out the window.
"Yup. It was already green." I repeated, my voice coming out as a croak. I secretly glanced again at her before I stepped on the gas. 
 
 
An awkward silence engulfed us. Dara seemed to be spacing out and I was starting to get worried.
 
 
"Are you mad at---" I asked but she quickly cut me off. "I will miss this." she suddenly said.
 
 
I gulped as I looked at her in the rear view mirror. She was smiling, and that made my heart constrict deeply.
"Rabbit, I..." I blurted out. My heart was pounding like crazy.
 
 
Dara looked at me and smiled, "You...what?"
 
"I..." I swallowed hard, calming my heart. 
 
"Fishy, When will you introduce me to your girlfriend?" she asked all of a sudden.
 
"Huh? Ah... I don't have one."
 
"You guys broke up?"
 
Yes. I told her I have a girlfriend. That was one of my stupid excuses to deny my real feelings for her.
 
"Aha..Yes." I let out a nervous sigh.
 
"It must be because of your work. Tsk! Remember, I will not give up this seat until I screen the lucky girl, okay?!" she said, her brows wiggling up and down.
 
I took a deep breath before I pulled the car into a stop. "That seat is only reserved for you, Rabbit." I said, looking deeply in her eyes.
She gave me a sweet smile before she looked around outside, "Are we already here?"
 
 
I smiled back and nodded, "Yes. We are...in the airport already." I felt my tears started to sting in my eyes as I looked into her brown eyes. She seemed very excited and that made my heart constrict really bad.
 
 
"Tokki, I want to tell you something but promise me first that nothing will ever change after this." I took a deep breath to gather all my courage before I blurted, "I am in lov.." But my voice trailed away when I heard a sudden knocked on the window. Dara smiled widely and quickly turned to look out the window next to her as soon as she heard a familiar voice outside.
 
 
"Babe! Hae! Did you guys wait long?"
 
"Babe!" Dara quickly rolled down the car window and leaned up to peck his lips softly. 
 
"No. We just got here, Yesung." I said, forcing a smile as my heart constricted painfully. I quickly looked down when their lips met. I let out a sad sigh.
 
"Thanks Hae for dropping Dara here. Sorry to trouble you this much." Yesung said, smiling while tapping Dara's head like a cute puppy.
 
Dara pouted.
 
"No babe, you don't have to thanks him. Pffft! It is just right for him to drop his 'BEST' friend off since he couldn't even attend our wedding! After all that we'd been through together...tsk!" she scoffed.
 
I pretended to chuckle when she rolled her eyes. My heart felt like it was literally tearing. Yes, my best friend and the girl that I have been madly in love with is getting married with my friend, Yesung.
 
And guess what? I was the one who set them up in the first place. I am such a big idiot, I know. I chose not to sacrifice our friendship over my selfish feelings even I know it will kill me deep inside. I thought that would be the best for us since I know Yesung would never hurt her. I thought by doing that my mind and heart would finally be at peace but...I was wrong.
 
 
"You are so mean to your best friend, babe. Don't mind her Hae. She would get over it." Yesung smiled at me apologetically before he added, "I'm sorry Hae, we really have no choice but to hold our wedding in Busan. Both our families are all there. It would've been really nice if you could come to our special day."
 
 
"It's okay, Ye." I gulped before I continued, "I wouldn't be able to attend neither even if it would be held here in Seoul..." My voice trailed off weakly as I looked down, "or...just anywhere."
 
 
"Definitely! because he loves his job more than his best friend! Tsk!" Dara complained again, irritated.
 
 
Yesung just laughed at us and started to unload Dara's luggage from the trunk of my car. I offered to help him but he insisted not to. He told me they'd caused too much trouble already.
 
 
"So workaholic fish... Are you really sure you can't come with us? It is not too late to change your mind. You can still be my best man, you know." she said teasingly, avoiding my eyes but her lips were twitching into a smile.
 
 
"Of course, I will always be your best man no matter what." I smiled back as I poked her forehead lightly. She smiled at me and hit my arm slightly before she pouted and said, "I will be back soon after our honeymoon. I will miss you, Fishboy. You know, this is really the first time we will be far away from each other for a long time." she smiled at me gently, but I could see tears forming in her eyes.
 
 
"I know." I pause to swallow the huge lump in my throat. "I...will miss you too, Rabbit." I said with my shaky voice as I was trying to fight the tears that were threatening to fall.
 
 
She looked up at me with a sweet smile before she slowly turned her back to open the door. Without thinking, I grabbed her arm to pull her back into an embrace, very tight.
 
 
"What is wrong with you, fishy? You are so corny. Stop it. Tsk. I'm not going to die, I'm just going to get married. I promise I will call you later as soon as we arrive in Busan." she said, her voice was shaky. "Fishy, If you need anything, just call me. Okay? I will fly back here for my best friend who couldn't even attend my own wedding. You owe me big, Lee Donghae!"
 
 
I shook my head and cupped her face as I gazed into her eyes, "No... I don't need anything, Dara. I've got all that I need right here in my passenger seat." I finally said with my trembling lips. I felt a huge weight somehow had been lifted off my chest, but she didn't say anything.
 
We stared at each other with our wide open eyes filled with confusions and questions for what seemed to be an eternity until Yesung came and snapped us back to reality.
 
We both swallowed down the questions we couldn't express before we averted our eyes from each other.
 
"Let's go babe?" Yesung asked, "Are you guys okay?" He added worriedly when he only heard silence in response.
 
Dara nodded and quickly turned her back from me, without even looking. "Let's go." she said in a low tone.
 
"Thanks again, Hae. See you next month!" Yesung said, smiling as he bid his goodbye.
 
 
I smiled weakly and waved back at them but my gaze was still fixed on Dara's back.
 
 
"Congrats again Ye, and Rabbit...just be happy." I said to myself as I watched Dara walking away, hoping she would at least look back but my vision suddenly became blurry with the tears I could no longer shed.
 
 
 
~~~
*Rabbit/Tokki- Dara's nickname
*Fishy- Donghae's nickname

A/N
Happy Valentines day fellow Royals! 
 
Sorry for my valentines treat since I'm single, I had to break your heart also. LOL I just want to get back at Hae in Haerin unnie story,"On my own" since she broke my heart also:( LoL
Advance Happy Birthday unnie! ^^
I have no definite ending here though so its up to your imagination what kind of ending you want for them. 
 
Off to write my other fanfics. ^^
 
Sweet night Royals!