Chapter 1

The daughter of a boxer

I figured out that you [Krystal San] and I wouldn't have time to meet each other anymore. So here is the story that you have requested. I changed the names. So it's not Japanese . I hope you don't mind. And we gotta go hangout one day, okay?

 



 

 

''Here she comes!''

''Don't mess with her.''

''I heard that her dad was an ex-boxer.''

Whispers was heard in the hallway when I, Oh HyeRin, walked in. I'm known as the toughest girl in the neighbourhood. I'm currently 16, never been on a date nor have I got a boyfriend before. That is, unless I move out of this horrid neighbourhood.

 

All the guys were afraid of me, not only in school but also in the whole town. Life isn't easy if you were the daughter of a boxer. Guys were afraid of girls who are stronger than them, or was it their pride eating them up? ''Guys should be stronger than girls, not the other way around.'' That's what I heard when I confessed my love for someone during the 8th grade.

 

The guys in my school are afraid of me; the girls in my school are telling rumours about me beating up another guy - I'm sick of it, sick of these people, sick of this school, sick of this town. All I want to do is leave this neighbourhood and start again in another state. Perhaps enroll to another school that focuses on education more than sports, unlike this school.

 

''Sports are good for you. I want you to grow up and be a boxer like me.'' My dad said when he enrolled me into this school. ''But I don't want to be a boxer..'' I mumbled , he didn't hear it at all.

 

Class ended early, or was it that I wasn't paying attention? Anyways, I packed my bags and left. I'd usually take the bus home, but this time, I', taking the subway back. I stopped at a market to get some....well, a lot of stuff. I decided to beg my dad to agree with me to let me move and live on my own in a new town. I was gonna change my usual tomboyish style to something girly, maybe. And I will have to keep my profile low in order to not allow the same thing to happen again.

 

''Dad! I'm home.'' I said as I walkedinto the house, shutting the big brown door behind me.

''Have you ate? I prepared lunch.'' He rosed up from his seat in front of the television which was showing some boxing championship. Typical dad of mine. We both sat in front of each other at the dining table, it was only the both of us. Mom died during childbirth and dad had been taking care of me ever since. We had a quiet lunch until I decided to break the silence.

 

''Dad?'' I questioned. He turned to look at me. I gulped, getting all my courage. ''Can I ask a favor from you?''

He was suprised, I wasn't the type to ask anyone for favors. ''Can you please repeat that?''

''Can I please ask you for a favor?''

''What is it?'' He asked concernly.

 

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and opened it .'' I want to live in another town, on my own.'' After the words left my mouth, a face full of concern and question marks was plastered on his face.

 

''You weren't bullied of expelled were you?''

''No, I wasn't.''

''Then what's the reason?''

 

Whats the reason? I'm loveless. Let me spell it for you . L-O-V-E-L-E-S-S. I'm sixteen and I haven't got a boyfriend before, bored and tired of others judging me. I can't say this is a reason can I?

 

''Erm...'' He turned to look me straight in the eyes, observing my every movement before talking to me again. ''Is this what you really want?'' I nodded. He put down his chopsticks beside his half eaten bowl of rice. A moment of silence between us except for the television that was on in the living room.

 

''I will allow that. But proove it to me that you are capable of being independent. Have you gotten yourself a room or a house yet? Have you applied for a new school? Ever thought of where are you going to stay?''

''I decidedto ask for your permission first. But I already did my research. I have signed up for a school that is 50 kilometers west from here. And I had already checked with a landlady that is selling her house for a low price. '' Yes I had already did my research, I have always love the idea of being capable of living on my own.

 

''Alright. You have proven it to me that you have done well. Eat , then go pack your bags. We will leave in three hours time. ''

''Thanks dad, '' I said as I wrapped my arms around him, embracing him into a tight hug. ''Thank you so much.''