Our Last Goodbye

The Space Between Us

Himchan quickly runs to the old man's side, checking for any major wounds. Luckily, there are none, and he turns angrily to the gang who were beating the elderly man up, only to come face-to-face with his own brother.

"Yongguk hyung? Why are you doing this?" Himchan looks up at his brother with pleading eyes. "Please, stop this... You're destroying your life."

"Stop interfering with my affairs if you're not going to join us." Yongguk scowls, "Now move out of our way."

"I won't! I'm not going to let you beat up an elderly man!" Himchan yells, standing firmly in front of the old man, who shakily stands up and hobbles away.

"Fine. We'll just beat you then." Yongguk smirks, swinging his fist at Himchan. It connects with his jaw and Himchan stumbles slightly.

Even with his years of training with Jongup, Himchan still could not fight against Yongguk and the twelve other members of Skrull, including Chanyeol, their leader. By the time they had finished fighting with him, he was an injured, bloody mess.

"You had better leave now. You can't fight me."

Himchan forces himself to stand up, using his sword as a sort of crutch. He stumbles forward, trying to strike Chanyeol with it, but before he can do so, a sword pierces into his abdomen.

He stops, looking down, tracing the sword to Yongguk's shaking hands.

"Himchan!" Jongup's agonised cry rings out, and Himchan turns towards the blonde, before collapsing weakly on the ground.

Yongguk pulls the sword out of Himchan, falling to his knees in front of his younger brother.

"No...Himchan...what did I do?" Tears fall from Yongguk's eyes as he repeats, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Yongguk looks down at his bloody, shaking hands. His face shows an expression of disbelief and madness, and the other twelve members of Skrull quickly run away.

Yongguk picks up the sword, and stabs himself right in the heart with it.

As his eyes close for the final time, he hears Himchan's soft voice, whispering "I forgive you."

 

"No, Himchan... Don't die. Stay with me, I know you can do it." Jongup gently places Himchan's head in his lap, blinking back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"You've never believed in me." Himchan smiles wryly.

​"I've never believed. I knew."

"You've never trusted me." Himchan coughs, and blood stains his lips.

"I guess I did trust you, even though I didn't know it. I still do." Tears fall from his eyes, and Himchan reaches up to wipe them away with a shaky hand. He remembers the conversation he'd had with Jongup the previous day all of a sudden.

"What's the reason that you changed?"

"At first it was Sunhwa. Then it was you." Jongup replies with a smile, and Himchan tears up, happy that he had finally torn down Jongup's last wall.

The gap between them was finally gone.

Himchan stops breathing all of a sudden, a smile still on his face, and Jongup cries his heart out. It's the first time he's ever cried like this since Sunhwa's death, and only then does he truly realise how much Himchan means to him.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened in my life, Himchan."

Jongup presses a chaste kiss onto Himchan's cold, unmoving lips, not even caring about the crimson blood that stains both their lips.

 


It's finally over~ TT.TT

I cried when writing the last part... I'm such a babo author xD

Hope you enjoyed this story... I might be adding an epilogue to tie up the loose ends (What happened to Sunhwa that made Jongup close himself off from the world? What did Jongup do after Himchan died?), but that would have to be after the contest ends, since I'm only coming home from school at 3.30pm tomorrow, which would be half an hour after the deadline... ;A; I really cut it close on this one OTL

Hope you enjoyed the fic! It's my first chaptered fic so I'd love to know what you think of this~ ^^ Saranghae~