Chapter 7 - Mom

Baby Steps

            “Mom, I’m home,” I called tentatively. She didn’t answer but clanged pots and pans together to let me know she heard. I took Kris’ hand and led him in. I had told her about him but I wasn’t sure how much she would approve.

            Luckily, my father wasn’t home and so that was one less obstacle to cross. I led Kris to the living room and put our bags away and took him to the kitchen. My mom’s eyebrows rose high above her bangs.

            “Mom, I brought home a guest.”

            I could see her wheels turning, wondering what our relationship was, wondering what she would do. She smiled graciously. “Welcome.”

            Kris bowed. “Mrs. Lee. I am Kris Wu.”

            “A foreigner?” I groaned on the inside.

            He didn’t blink once. “Yes, I am from China.” My mom made no other comment and I pushed him back out.

            “We can go to our room while we wait for dinner.”

            He looked uncomfortable. “I’d rather not give your mom any more reason to dislike me.”

            “She doesn’t dislike you.”

            He raised an eyebrow in almost perfect imitation and I laughed. “My brother won’t be home and my father probably won’t be back either. You can meet them later.”

            He stared at me. “JoJo, is this really a good idea?”

            “Of course. My mom is just annoyed I didn’t give her enough time to prepare. She prides herself on being a housewife. And this lack of an elaborate meal for a guest will bother her forever.”

            “Are you sure it’s not because I’m not Korean?’

            I shrugged. “My family isn’t that narrow-minded you know.” But I knew he didn’t believe me. There was a figment of truth to his anxieties. There was so much distrust between the two countries that it was difficult for my mom to embrace him wholeheartedly. I grabbed his hand in defiance, a move that even shocked me. “But whatever. My mom will just have to deal.” He tried to remove his hand but I held on.

            He rolled his eyes. “Stubborn.”

            I smiled and took out my sketchbook. “Don’t move. I like it when I make you irritated. You’re quite attractive with your eyebrows up.”

            He started to smile but I wagged a stern finger at him. “Hey, keep your eyebrows still!”

            My mom walked in just as I finished the curve of his lips. She watched the two of us and I smiled at her. “Mom, does this look like him?”

            She looked over and smiled a little. “Very nice. Kris, let’s go eat dinner.” I could tell she was trying to be kind. I appreciated that.

            Kris complimented her profusely on the food and even my mom blushed a little. “Your Korean is very good,” she told him.

            He ducked his head. “I had a lot of training.”

            “Oh? Did your family plan on moving here?”

            I groaned, knowing how uncomfortable he was about revealing his family background. “Mom, you don’t want to pry.”

            Kris grinned. “Eh, my mom has always thought Korean guys were more attractive and figured that if I grew up among good looking people, I would turn out like them too.”

            At this, my mom actually laughed. I stole a look at him. How could he charm my mom like this? She placed a hand over her heart and piled dessert on his plate. When it got darker, Kris stood and thanked her.

            “I should be going home now.”

            I walked him to the door and he looked at me, smiling. “Thank you for sharing your family with me.”

            “It’s just my mom.”

            “I know. But she’s a better mom than mine.”

            I waited but he didn’t elaborate and I knew better than to ask. If he wanted me to know, I would find out in good time. I stepped onto the porch and he looked uncertain. I bit my lip and stared at him. He held out his arms for a hug but I wanted more.

            I tiptoed and he gently kissed me, pulling away quickly. I sighed. “My mom won’t bite.”

            “I know. But good impressions are everything. She’s staring from the window.”

            I wanted to turn to look but he held me still. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Thank you again, Jo.”

            I nodded at him. “Any time.”

            When I walked in, my mom looked concerned and I braced myself. Somehow, I should have known that no matter how charming Kris was, she would lecture. She took my hand.

            “Do you like him a lot?”

            “Mom, I just got to know him. We’re only dating. We haven’t done anything, we aren’t planning anything yet.”

            She nodded. “But be careful. Never trust foreigners. You don’t really know how they’re taught growing up.”

            I glared at her. “Mom, you’re over stepping it,” I warned her.

            She shrugged and stood. “I like Kris. But there seems to be something he’s hiding. Just a feeling. But up to you. I warned you.”

            I stood there for a long time, looking at her and wondering what made her think that way.

 

wow for such a long hiatus but it's summer so I should be back more often