Chapter 10 - The Family

Baby Steps

            I didn’t know what compelled me to keep silent after he confessed but I continued kicking myself for not saying it back to him the entire night. After he said it to me, we stood and stared at one another before he broke the silence and offered to walk me home. The entire time, I wanted to say it to him, but I couldn’t. It was such a large emotion, and I had to draw it out to come to terms with it.

            That night, I took out the picture that we had took and stared at it. I his eyes, the windows to his heart, and sighed. The emotion he had wasn’t even something I could draw, to put into paper with my pencil. It was something that had to be seen or to be captured.

            I scratched my head and tried to understand him. He didn’t seem the type to be so affectionate. If anything, it seemed as if it were me who put in more. But now, he’s crossed this threshold and I still couldn’t.

            It wasn’t because I didn’t. It was because I was scared. I still had my mother’s absurd warning in my head and even though I knew it was crazy, I was young. Most people didn’t get married, fall in love until way after college so wasn’t this too soon? And besides, he only said that he thought he loved me, so maybe not confirming was the right thing. But then I thought about the awkward silence that ensued and groaned. Awkward turtle much?

            I grabbed my phone and sent him a good night text. Thanks for being back with me. It was simple and I decided I was going to stop overthinking things. If I feel the time is right, he could wait for me to tell him.

            When I walked out the door the next morning, Kris was standing outside waiting. I looked behind my shoulder and saw my mother watching us. Kris bowed to her and she waved back. He held out his hand. “I hope this wasn’t too bold a move to make? I figured I should you back and forth.”

            I hid a smile and looked at him. “What am I? A damsel in need of constant care?”

            Kris shrugged. “I just like seeing you more.”

            At this, I had to let him see my happiness. “I never knew you had this greasy side to you.”

            “Well, you’d be surprised. It must be all the fries I like to consume.”

            I laughed and took his hand. “Let’s go to class then.”

            The entire time we had class together, I stared at him and willed myself to find a spark in my heart. But then I realized I didn’t want to push myself. I did like him, more than liked him, but I was still hesitant on using the word love. Instead, I decided I was going to show it.

            Our days together flew by. I didn’t count them because time flies when you’re having fun. Time teleports you when you’re in love. He lasted the rest of the term without needing to be pulled out. It was the start of the spring term that Kris turned to me and said, “I want to formally introduce you to my mother.”

            My mouth fell open and I laughed a little nervously. “I don’t think that’s necessary.” I knew how rude it sounded but last time we met, the experience was less than exemplary.

            Kris stared at me for a good five minutes, not saying anything, making my heart jump into my throat. He slid his legs off my lap and leaned forward so that our faces were only a few centimeters apart. “I’m twenty-one, Jo. I refuse to let my mother, much less this phantom of a father, control my life.” I was quiet but nodded, letting him continue talking.

            “I’ve been trying to piece together the facts, to find out the facts and to figure out what exactly happened with the treasure. And if my father has some basis, then I will try my best to find any shred of evidence I can and turn the government against him. He has zero right to be finding national treasure, and even if the country doesn’t even remember it exists, doesn’t give him extra right. As for my mom, I talked to her and she’s more willing. She’s deeply embarrassed, as she should be, of the way she behaved the other way. If you’re uncomfortable, just let me know and we’ll leave. I promise. But I love my mother, and I don’t want to love you and be with you while keeping you away from my mother.”

            I was at an utter loss. He had met my mother, but never came back to meet my father and brother. To me, meeting his mom was stretching our comfort zone, was taking our relationship into a level that I was both scared and exhilarated to go to. He held my hand and tightened his grip. I ran my thumb over his and nodded.

            “Alright. Let me go home and at least prepare first.”

            He laughed a little. “I’ll stay with you, get to chat with your father too. I didn’t get to meet him last time.”

            We stood together and I stared at him, this mysterious human being whom I really believe I love. “We’ll do this together.”

***

            My father liked Kris, much to my relief. My brother had no opinion. He gave Kris the once over before announcing that he was leaving. But it wasn’t his opinion that mattered. My father jokingly teased his accent and when I came down nicely dressed, even gave us his blessing. “You two go and have fun. Just make sure you keep her in one piece and bring her back at a decent time.”

            When we were walking to his house, me leaning on his arms a little to help with the heels, he smiled. “That wasn’t so bad.”

            “You did a great job with my father. I thought he would be the hardest one to charm but you did magnificently.”

            He laughed and raised his eyebrow in a cocky manner. “I’m really talented. It’s part of what makes me perfect. Trust in me. Trust in my DNA.”

            I squeezed his hand and rolled my eyes. “You’re so dumb." But as we approached his house, my steps slowed. Kris stopped altogether and spun me to face him. “Perfect hair? Check. Well-dressed, immaculate, a bit tight but very flattering navy dress? Check. Trimmed nails with a manicure tip? Check. So what’s missing? A smile on the pretty face, no check. Not yet. Let’s wait for it.”

            I couldn’t help it. I smiled and he kissed me quickly. “Keep that on your face, and then we have the entire checklist.” He leaned his forehead against mine. “This is just my mom. She may be a bit of a tiger, but remember, you still need to thank her for giving birth to me.”

            I let out a low groan. “Thank you not so much, you life ruiner.”

            This made Kris happy and kept the atmosphere between us light while he knocked on the door. Her eyes were unfriendly even though she had a slightly light smile on her lips. “Welcome, JoJo. That’s quite an unusual name.”

            “Ah, my real name is Johee, but my brother thought it was too masculine so I’m JoJo now.”

            She made an attempt to smile and look interested. “Well, come in. I made dinner.”

            She was courteous and I could feel Kris’ nervousness as she asked me questions. If he felt she went too far, he would look up and her question would taper away. I tried to answer her and I smiled at her as often as I could. When the dinner was over, I felt like if she didn’t like me, she at least didn’t hate me.

            I bowed to her and she took one of my hands in hers. “I apologize for our first meeting,” she said the words slowly, almost as if she had to memorize them. But when I saw Kris turn and give her a surprised look, I knew it was from her heart. “I- I worry for my son,” she continued and I nodded. I understood. A mother’s fierce love for her child was never one to be contested. “I want him to be happy, but right now, things are too dangerous. If I in any way offended you, or will offend you in the future, please, just know I did it for my son.”

            I nodded and felt the need to say something back. “I understand. I want to protect him as much as you do. I don’t know what I would do if anything happened to him.”

            Too late, I realized this would cause her to shrink back. She casted me a wary look and scanned the two of us. She nodded. “I see. You’re in that type of a relationship.”

            Kris cut in. “Mom, don’t assume things. We love each other. Don’t worry too much. She’s safe. I’ll keep her safe, and I’ll keep myself safe.” He leaned down and hugged her. “I’ll walk her back now.”

            When she closed the door, I caught a tear slide down her cheek. I didn’t know how to talk to him then. I saw the tip of his nose redden and hugged him against me. “Hey, I like your mom,” I told him in as light a voice as I could muster.

            He managed to regain his composure and raised his eyebrow. “Oh do you now?”

            I nodded. “She gave birth to you.” He snorted and I told him seriously, “She really tried her best. I could tell.”

            He looked at the sky. “I suppose that’s all that matters. 

 

 

I'm so sorry for not updating T___T 

I will never abandon a story so don't fear ^^ I'll be back, regardless of how much time has passed. I can guarantee two updates in January, but right now I need to focus on finals and try to space out my other stories.

Thank you guys for your support, always.