Chapter 2: The Wedding

The Wedding Singer


Kyuhyun has returned to his old room at Yesung and Ryeowook's apartment. At the night he left Zhou Mi's apartment, he rushed to his hyungs' place. They welcomed him warmly without asking anything. Ryeowook prepared him hot honey tea and hot soup while Yesung made up the room. They let him eat and rest.

We broke up,” Kyuhyun said the next morning during breakfast. “It hurts hyung....” he bursted into tears in Ryeowook's embrace while Yesung repeatedly rubbed his back.

The pass month has turned into a hell for Kyuhyun. It has been difficult for him to move on. He wakes up with puffy red eyes, not being unnoticed by his hyungs. But he manages to get away with different reasons although he knows the two never believe him.

He is back to his old life, working at the cafe in the morning and singing at the club in the evening.

All this time, Yesung and Ryeowook occassionally came to the club to sing along with Kyuhyun and the club's owner, Sungmin. It is still hard for Kyuhyun to return to the club, the place where he met Zhou Mi for the first time, but Sungmin insists that Kyuhyun needs to do something to forget his brokenheart. Besides, Kyuhyun needs the money, and of course the tips from visitors, to help his hyungs. He doesn't want to be a burden for both of them.

Just a week ago, Kyuhyun was informed by Sungmin that a rich man had come to the club and requested the trio to sing at a wedding ceremony in Jeju Island. At first, Kyuhyun was reluctant but seeing the sparkles of Ryeowook's eyes he could only laugh and agreed to fly there with his hyungs.

Kyuhyun..... hey, are you listening?” Yesung calls him, bringing him back to reality.

Kyuhyun startles. He doesn't realize that Yesung had called him three times before Ryeowook nudges his side, telling him to follow other passengers getting off the plane.

Cars are ready at the airport to transport the whole entourage into one of the famous resorts in Seogwipo area, which Kyuhyun learns later that it is owned by one of Zhou Mi's friends.

Kyuhyun stops walking when he spots Zhou Mi heading to a luxurious car, holding hand with a beautiful young woman with blonde hair. “So, that's Jessica. She's beautiful,” he thinks, feeling the pain on his chest.

Are you okay, magnae?” Yesung asks Kyuhyun.

Yeah, I'm fine hyung.... Just feel really tired. I need more sleep,” Kyuhyun replies, knowing Yesung also spots the same scene. He smiles when the older only rubs his back without uttering a single word.

The three singers head to an awaiting van and when Yesung is about to close the door, someone shouts: “Wait for me”.

A tall handsome man with neat jet-black hair, dark orbs and a dimpled smile bowed to them and asked them: “Is there still an empty seat in this car? I think my friends already left me when I was in the toilet,” he speaks.

Please come in, there are only the three of us plus the driver,” Yesung replies.

Thank you,” the man, who seems a bit younger than Yesung, says politely.

He hops into the car to sit next to Yesung. Ryeowook moves to the back seat, next to Kyuhyun.

I'm Siwon, Choi Siwon, by the way... Are you friends of Zhou Mi?” he begins to speak to Yesung, offering his hand.

Yesung shakes the man's hand but before he replies, Ryeowook jumps in into the conversation: “Hi, I'm Ryeowook and these are Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun. We are here to sing at the wedding.”

Wow.... I'm always jealous to singers. I think I'm tone deaf, my voice is like a squirrel,” he said, chuckling.

Yesung and Ryeowook smile to the seemingly rich man.

I think we've met before,” Siwon says, smiling to Kyuhyun, who keeps silent and only looks at the window. Obviously, he doesn't pay any attention to his surrounding.

Huh?” the younger raises his eyebrows, trying to recall but to no avail. “Sorry, I don't....”

You're the singer at the Sapphire Blue, aren't you?” Siwon asks.

Oh, yes....” Kyuhyun says.

No wonder your face looks familiar.... I remember when Zhou Mi took us there a while ago. Man, your voice is beautiful,” Siwon keeps talking, not realizing that the mention on the Chinese name feels like a stab in Kyuhyun's hearts. He wants to know more about Kyuhyun but he stops talking when he sees the younger's expression.

Is he sad? Did he just cry? Why do I have the urge to hug him and make him smile?” Siwon thinks, feeling attracted with Kyuhyun's milky white skin, brown eyes, chubby cheeks and curly lips.

Lucky to Siwon, Kyuhyun is busy with his own thought and does not realize that the other intensively stares at him.

I must not see Zhou Mi during our stay here.... How could I sing in front of him on his wedding day? He's marrying that woman and I have to witness their happiness...” Kyuhyun sighs, hard enough to be heard by the other three passengers.

Are you alright?” Siwon asks Kyuhyun. But the latter is drown to his own thought.

Yesung and Ryeowook give a sign to Siwon, as if telling the latter to just leave their magnae alone.

Upon their arrival at the resort, Siwon bows to Yesung and Ryeowook, thanking them for the lift although the two say they are guests as well and everything has been arranged.

Siwon turns to Kyuhyun and offers his hand. “I haven't properly introduced myself. My name is Choi Siwon,” he tells the younger.

I'm Cho Kyuhyun... Nice meeting you Siwon-ssi,” Kyuhyun replies, shaking hand of the other. He bows before finally leaving the handsome man and follows his hyungs to their room.

After unpacking their stuffs, the three agree to meet at the lobby for dinner at 7 p.m. They plan to meet the organizers to discuss details of the ceremony.

Kyuhyun looks at his watch. It's 5.30 p.m. “I still have time for a short walk....” he thinks.

He leads to the resort's garden, strolls along the pathway while busy recalling his memory with Zhou Mi.

Mi, how could you do this to me? Was my love not enough for you?”

Excuse me.... Mind if I join you?” a voice is heard.

Him again,” Kyuhyun looks at Siwon. He couldn't say no to a guest so Kyuhyun only smiles.

Siwon takes it as a yes. They both walk – it's more like Siwon is following Kyuhyun along the pathway. Silence surrounds them.

Is it your first time here in Jeju, Kyuhyun-ssi?” Siwon asks, trying to have a conversation.

Yes.”

What do you think?”

Beautiful.”

Siwon feels his efforts to talk to the younger hit the wall. It's obvious that the other person is not interested to keep him company. But Siwon has been known for his persistence and he does not take no as an answer. So he insists on bugging the younger despite the other's reluctance to talk to him.

Don't you feel cold?”

No. It's fine.”

Aha.... Finally, you speak more than just one word,” Siwon says, laughing.

Kyuhyun can't help smiling. “Sorry, I'm not really good with words,” he said.

That's better... You finally spoke seven words,” Siwon says again, showing off his dimpled smile.

You actually count how many words I said?” Kyuhyun replied, smiling wider.

Uhuh... Any problem with that?”

You're funny,” Kyuhyun can't help chuckling.

I'm not a clown, thank you very much,” Siwon replies, pouting.

Wipe that pout Mr. Choi, it doesn't suit you,” Kyuhyun teases the taller guy. “Strange... I feel comfortable beside him. Teasing another person is just not so me.”

It's Siwon, Mr. Cho... So, what do you think? Is it better for me to pout or to smile?” Siwon teases more, wanting to see the younger smile again. “His smile is dazzling... I guess I've become addicted to it.”

Kyuhyun doesn't answer. Instead, he smiles widely.

The two keep talking while heading to the beach.

Let's watch the sunset,” Siwon says, grabbing Kyuhyun's wrist. The younger is stunned, frozen at the sudden touch from the other. “What's wrong?”

No.. Nothing...” Kyuhyun stutters. “His hand is warm...”

Wow.......” Kyuhyun is speechless when seeing the sunset.

Romantic huh?”

If you see it with your loved one,” Kyuhyun replies, suddenly feels a pang in his heart. Unconsiously, he sighs. “Forget him, please I have to forget every single thing about him.”

Siwon stares at the younger, frowning. “Why do you look so sad? Care to talk about it?”

Kyuhyun startles. “No. Sorry... I'm okay.”

Siwon knows the other is not fine but he will not force Kyuhyun to speak unless the latter is ready to talk about it.

It's getting dark and the two realize that it's time for dinner. So they directly head to the restaurant. Siwon spots his friends who sit in a table. He drags Kyuhyun and introduces him to the rest of the gang. Kyuhyun recognizes familiar faces who often visited Sapphire Blue with Zhou Mi months ago although he was never been introduced to them as the Chinese pretended that he didn't know Kyuhyun.

There's a pair of lovey-dovey good looking guys, who seem to be of the same age. “That's Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae. Donghae's family owns this resort. They are like inseparable twin, aren't they? They will get married soon, too,” Siwon explains.

Yaaa... You and your big mouth!” Hyukjae shouts at Siwon. The others are laughing.

Siwon introduces him to another couple. One looks beautiful despite his scary stare while another looks handsome, mature and calmer. “This is Heechul hyung and Hangeng hyung. I don't know if they need to get married since they've been together since the Earth was created...”

The rest laugh but Siwon earns himself a smack on his head from Heechul.

Yaa!!! Watch your mouth,” he shouted while Hangeng pulls him back to his seat and rubs his back.

The introduction continues with Siwon explaining each of them.

How come he's not ashamed of me? This man is so different from Zhou Mi although they are good friends,” Khuhyun thinks.

Qui Xian...” a voice is heard from Kyuhyun's behind. He is frozen. He recognizes the voice but he is fully aware that he should not humiliate the person who practically is the host of the whole entourage.

Oh, Mr. Zhou Mi. It's nice to meet you,” Kyuhyun says politely, while bowing to the Chinese. “Excuse me, I have to leave because it's about time for rehearsal.”

But you haven't had dinner yet,” Siwon argues, trying to keep Kyuhyun with him.

I'll take it later after the rehearsal,” Kyuhyun says. “My friends are waiting....” with that he flees from the site.

I thought his name is Kyuhyun...” Siwon whispers to Zhou Mi, his eyes full of questions.

It's his Chinese name,” the other replies.

You know him that well, better than I thought...” Siwon says, hinting at something.

Please Shi Yuan.... Drop it,” Zhou Mi says in low tone. He turns to the others and asks, “Are you guys having fun?”

They all reply and create more noises that earn looks from other diners. After dinner, the group moves to the bar and spends their good time celebrating Zhou Mi's last night as a bachelor.

Little do they know that in the nearby ball room, a young man silently cries on the stage while singing the picked love songs for the next day's ceremony.

You look terrible Kyuhyun-ah...” Yesung said during the break of the rehearsal. “Should we call a doctor? You don't have to sing tomorrow. I can tell the organizers that we are down one person. Ryeowook and I can manage it.”

No hyung, I will be fine. Just give me a minute to catch up my breath,” Kyuhyun replies, trying hard to remain calm.

The three rehearse for another hour, discussing with the organizers who keep changing the choice of the songs. Finally, they agree to call it the day for a good night sleep.

 


***

 

The chappel in the resort is decorated in white lilies and white roses, contrast to the red carpet. Kyuhyun, Yesung and Ryeowook are ready on their spots inside the chappel for the ceremony although the youngest still feels nervous.

The moment Zhou Mi enters the chappel, Kyuhyun feels his stomach flips, his knees are weak that he has to support himself by grabbing the nearest chair. He struggles to stand still and remain calm.

Zhou Mi walks down the aisle with Siwon as his best man. The Chinese looks stunning in all white while Siwon looks as fascinating as the groom in his black tie.

Zhou Mi must wear Armani,” Kyuhyun thinks, remembering the tall guy's favorite designer.

Kyuhyun averts his gaze from Zhou Mi only to meet with Siwon's. He blinks several times to make sure he is not hallusinating. “What was that? Something's strange with his stare,” he thinks.

The Wedding March begins and all guests rise from their seats. Jessica – clads in her white strapples long-tail wedding dress beaded with Swarowski crystals on her chest – walks down the aisle with her father. Kyuhyun can't hide his jealousy and understands why Zhou Mi doesn't mind with the arranged wedding at all.

It's not just an arranged marriage. It's more than business thing. She is a real beauty,” he feels like facepalming himself. His chest is aching more but he has to bear with it. “Just a little more time Kyuhyun, sing some more songs and you will leave this place. Come on, you can do it!”

It's Kyuhyun's turn to sing. He has never felt this nervous before. He feels cold sweats run through his back. He prays that his voice will not crack.
Then, he sings “That Man (Geu Namja)”. Everyone stuns, including the groom. Zhou Mi knows that the song is about their love life, an unfair condition for Kyuhyun.


 


How much longer
Do I have to look at you like this alone?
This stupid love
This worthless love
If I keep trying will it make you fall in love with me
come a little bit closer
Just a little bit
If I take one step forward you take two steps back
I'm the one who loves you
Right now by your side
That man is crying


 


Once the music stops, the crowd stands up for an applause. Kyuhyun bows to the audience and whispers to his hyungs that he's going back to the room first. He doesn't realize that a pair of dark orbs have been quietly observing him.

The atmosphere turns into a very cheerful one after Jessica throws her wedding bouquet. She and Zhou Mi have changed into a more casual apparel and the newly wedded couple are heading to an awaiting car, decorated with ballons and “Just married” sign, ready to transport them to Jessica's private plane for their honeymoon.

While the crowd cheers them up, Kyuhyun lies on the bed, crying his heart out. He hugs his knees. “Why? Mi, why? How can you leave me? I thought you loved me. You lied to me...”

He listens to the cheering crowd, thinking what will it be like if he's the one who ties the knot. Surely, he will only invite the YeWook couple, as he usually teases his hyungs, and Sungmin. He will never be able to afford a grand wedding like this one. “Maybe we will only go to the church and have the party at hyung's cafe.”

Apparently your money decides who you will end up with,” Kyuhyun bitterly thinks. “Love just ain't enough in a relationship and that's the truth.”

Yesung and Ryeowook are on their way back to their room, ready to pack all their stuffs. They will leave Jeju early the next day with the first batch of the entourage as some will take the afternoon plane while the rest will extend their stay to enjoy the holiday.

But the minute they step into the room, they can't help shouting. “Kyuhyun..... Kyuhyun-ah! Wake up, please,” Ryeowook cries hard.