Chapter 13: Will you?

The Wedding Singer

 

Siwon stretches out. He just finished having back-to-back meetings with his Japanese business counterparts. It’s already 10 p.m. so he calls the day, thanking all his staffs for their hard work.

Dinner?” Siwon asks Seunghyun.

His cousin nods. “Roppongi. What do you think?”

Like it. Are we going to our favorite place?”

Yup.”

The cousins walk for about 15 minutes to reach Roppongi, a popular area in Tokyo for its night life.

Siwon already canceled all his reservations for his trip. He had planned to pamper Kyuhyun in a five-star hotel, set up a nice dinner with his ex boyfriend on his birthday and a stroll along Tokyo to allow his boyfriend a glimpse of the city. But in the end, he has to spend the night with his cousin, working. “What can be more pathetic than this?” Siwon thinks.

I hope you don’t feel miserable spending your birthday with me,” Seunghyun breaks their silence.

Whoa! You gave me a goose bump,” Siwon exclaims, then laughs. “You always know what’s in my head.”

We grew up together hyung. And you are always like an open book, very easy to read,” Seunghyun teases him.

Yeah... Unlike a certain someone who prefers to put a mysterious aura to get girls,” Siwon snaps back.

They both laugh. Siwon is thankful for having a cousin like Seunghyun, who understands him well and is very loyal and helpful to him. He knows he will bug his cousin in the latter's apartment for the next few days but Seunghyun seems to enjoy it.

After dinner, the two are walking back to their office to get Seunghyun’s Maserati when Siwon suddenly asks him. “Can we stop by at the Sky Tree? It’s gonna be my first time seeing it.”

Sure.”

Once they reach the place, Siwon sits on the nearest bench while Seunghyun buys hot coffee.

It's supposed to be our night Kyu. I was supposed to bring you here... After dinner, we would see the lights and I would propose to you,” Siwon thinks while rubbing his chest. Beneath his Savile Row’s tailored shirt, he is wearing a long white gold chain necklace where a white gold ring is hung there.

My eternal love” is crafted in the inner part of the ring. Siwon had it ready a day before Kyuhyun was harassed at the Sapphire Blue. “I’ve always believed that I would make you happy Baby, turns out I just cause you pain. I’m sorry...”

Here’s the coffee,” Seunghyun hands over a paper cup of hot Americano.

"Thanks."

"And here... is your birthday present," Seunghyun hands over a small box to Siwon.

"This small?" Siwon teases his cousin, both laughing.

He unwraps the small box and finds a pair of cuff links in gold bearing his initial "CSW".

"Beautiful. Thanks cousin," Siwon says, hugging Seunghyun. "They must be personally designed."

"Oh yes. What is a designer sister for?" Seunghyun replies, winking his eye.

The cousins are staring at the Sky Tree along with other visitors.

Maybe we are at fault, for not preparing him how to deal with the world,” Seunghyun suddenly says, breaking the silence.

What?”

Kyuhyun hyung. He was not raised like us. Since our childhood, we were always reminded on our future responsibility, the fate of our family business... We were prepared to deal with the society. Kyuhyun never had that,” Seunghyun says.

You know what I like about you? You are very detailed, observant and analytical,” Siwon praises him.

Yeah. That’s why I’m an engineer not really a businessman like you. You have a sharp instinct.”

But my instinct can’t protect my boyfriend.”

Love is not business, hyung. It’s not about making profit. It’s about making each other happy.”

Tsk,” Siwon rolls his eyes. “Look who’s talking! Coming from someone with no girlfriend? I don’t remember you’ve ever been in a serious relationship.”

I learn it from the best. My Dad. One night stand, no string attached, no hard feelings.”

Are you happy?”

No.”

Then why not settle down?”

Can’t find someone like Mom. The girls I know only want to get into my pants and are after my money. I don’t think I’m gonna pick one of them to be my wife.”

Siwon slings his arm over Seunghyun’s shoulder. Seunghyun and Sooyoung were raised by Siwon’s mother since their mother died. They lack of love because their father has preferred to bury himself in works and parties to forget his misery.

So, you’re looking for a model like auntie?”

If she’s not as beautiful as Mom, why should I marry her?”

You’re picky, you know?”

I want to spend the rest of my life with someone I really love, just like you. I was envious with you and Kyuhyun hyung and I really hope you two can work things out.”

Thanks cousin. Maybe Kyuhyun really needs time to be back to his old self. No pressure of being with a Choi,” Siwon sighs.

It’s never been easy to be a Choi,” Seunghyun replies.

They both know well that their name can be a bless.... but also a curse.

Siwon looks at the full moon. “What are you doing now Baby? Are you also looking at the moon? I miss you... I still love you. I wish you’ll change your mind.”

 

***

 

Four months have passed. Kyuhyun left the orphanage after staying there for two months. Leeteuk and Kangin, who is also in charge of managing the orphanage, preached him not to run away from his problem.

Kyuhyun is back to Yesung's apartment and has to cramp with Taemin in his old room. The young one, whom he has known in the orphanage, just joined the cafe and has no other place to live.

Kyuhyun returns as a model for Gee, thanks to strong persuasions by Jiwon, Sooyoung and Minho. However, he requests that he must not encounter Siwon in any circumstances.

"Well, he's one of the commissioners of our company. You can't hide from him but don't worry, he'll be too busy with his own business," Jiwon says.

Kyuhyun learns from the two girls that Siwon spends most of his time at his old room in his parents' house. He is also informed that the tall guy works much harder than usual, and somehow that makes Kyuhyun feels guilty.

"Wonnie, please take care of yourself," his heart is aching to imagine his ex boyfriend suffer not only from the broken heart but also from loads of works. "Why should I care? I'm the one asking for this break up."

It's a sunny Saturday morning when Kyuhyun heads to a studio. He will have a photo shoot for Gee's autumn/winter collection with Minho. When he reaches the studio, Jiwon and Sooyoung are there, sipping their coffee. The smell of pastries hit his nostrils.

"Hey, aren't they pastries from our cafe?" he asks Minho.

The boy only nods, busy munching his cinnamon rolls. He then points his finger and Kyuhyun gasps to see two tall men busily talking with coffee mugs in their hands. Siwon is there with Hangeng.

Kyuhyun realizes that he is at a point of no return. There is no way he can leave the site immediately. He unconsciously stares at Siwon, has no idea for how long. They say "You never realize how much you love someone until they're gone." That's what Kyuhyun feels right now. Siwon may be there, at the same place and the same time with him. But Siwon's heart is no longer his.

"Kyuhyun-ssi," the stylist calls him, asking him to get ready for the make up.

Kyuhyun startles when Siwon turns to him and looks at him in the eyes. His body shivers lightly. "He still has the same effect on me."

Siwon bows lightly before facing Hangeng again. Then he bids farewell to his sister and cousins. He kisses Jiwon's cheek, hugs Sooyoung and Minho and leaves the place with his best friend.

Kyuhyun is having a heartache. He keeps telling himself: "We broke up... We broke up already."

Later that night, Kyuhyun is sitting by the window, enjoying the moonlight. "How are you Siwonnie? Are you also looking at the moonlight? You shouldn't drink too much coffee..."

He pulls out a drawer from the bedside table, taking out his passport and the ticket to Tokyo. "Did I make a mistake Siwonnie? I still don't know if breaking up with you is the answer to my problem. But I know... I'm not happy. You were right. I shouldn't give up easily."

A tear escapes the corner of his eye. Kyuhyun wipes it. "I will be stronger, Siwonnie. I will not succumb to people's judgment."


***

 

The launching of the autumn/winter collection is in coincidence with the opening of another Gee store at Apgujeong, an area famous for fashion, dining and shopping in the posh Gangnam district.

Jiwon and Sooyoung are very excited with their new store and their new designs. They even have a plan to join the the Gangnam Fashion Festival, which is usually held in October. Both girls have requested Kyuhyun and Minho to spare their days in October for the festival as they want the two boys to walk on the runway.

Family members, friends and business partners attend the opening of Gee's latest store. And of course, Siwon is there.

Seeing his ex boyfriend makes Kyuhyun's stomach flips. Siwon remains the star of any events, including this one. He wears one of Sooyoung's designs, looking more casual than he usually does. Navy tight jeans, V-neck gray shirt and a light blue jacket with wide collars.

"Dazzling," that's what Kyuhyun thinks when he sees Siwon. Suddenly, the tall guy turns to him, taking two glasses of champagne from a waiter and walks closer to him. Kyuhyun is nervous.

"Hi," Siwon says, handing over the champagne.

"Hi," Kyuhyun replies, taking the champagne and sips the drink. "Relax Kyu, you've known him all this time. No need to be nervous."

"You look great in the new ads. I'm glad you stay as their model."

"Thank you."

Silence.

"How are you?" Kyuhyun asks Siwon.

The latter stares at him, smiling. "Busy as usual. Try to move on but it's not easy... So, yeah..."

Another silence.

"You lose weight," Siwon says.

"A bit."

"You should rest and eat more."

"I'll try to."

"Should we leave this crowd and find a more comfortable place?" Siwon suggests. Kyuhyun nods.

They leave the store, stroll along the street and find a rather empty coffee shop.

"Let's go inside and talk here," Siwon says, his hand grabs Kyuhyun's.

After ordering their drinks, the two sit on the couch enjoying their coffee. None speaks.

"I miss you, Baby," Siwon whispers, eyes fix to his mug. "It's been four months."

Kyuhyun closes his eyes. His heart floats hearing what Siwon just said. "I... I miss you too Siwonnie."

Both stare at each other. They need no words. Their eyes have spoken their hearts out.

"I've been thinking... I want to start all over again. I'll do my best to make you happy."

"I believe you."

"What?"

"I've been thinking myself. I was such a coward for running away just because of a stranger's harassment. I should have stayed with you."

They are looking at each other again, closing their proximity.

"Can we start again?"

"Yes," Kyuhyun says, almost inaudible, with his sweetest smile.

"Will you come home with me Baby?"

"Yes."

Siwon covers his face with both hands. Then he looks at Kyuhyun, chuckles and sighs.

"I should've done it much earlier," he mumbles.

"What?"

"I should've tried to talk to you much earlier. It's a torturing four months for me."

"Why didn't you?"

"Guess I'm as a coward as you were Kyu."

"I should've come to you as well."

Siwon grabs Kyuhyun's hand, squeezes it and plants a kiss on the back of the palm. He then grabs his mobile phone, presses some buttons. After a few buzzes, he smiles.

"Done! I'll drive you home. You need to prepare."

"What?"

"Mr. Jeong will pick you at 10 a.m. tomorrow."

"Where are we going?"

"Finish the unfinished."

"Wonnie..."

"Just trust me!"


***

 

Twenty four hours later, they are standing in front of the Sky Tree in Tokyo. Siwon flew Kyuhyun to the city, pampered him with five-star hotel facilities and spoiled him with the best sushi and Hokkaido crab he could get in Tokyo. He went on with his canceled plans four months ago.

"What are we doing here?" Kyuhyun questions the tall guy, raising his eyebrows.

"I had planned everything four months ago before the incident at the Sapphire Blue took place. Then I had to cancel all of them because we broke up and I celebrated my birthday here with Seunghyun," Siwon shows his dimpled smile.

Kyuhyun feels like he needs to jump of Tokyo Tower. "I'm so so so sorry... I... How I wish I could turn back time..."

"It's OK Baby. Celebrating my birthday with Seunghyun wasn't that bad," Siwon says chuckling, but earns a slap on his arm.

"Be grateful to your cousin."

"I am."

"It's beautiful..." Kyuhyun observes the Sky Tree.

"Indeed..." Siwon back hugs Kyuhyun, kissing lovingly the crown of his boyfriend's head. "Now, I have to finish the unfinished."

Siwon turns Kyuhyun around to face him. He cups the latter's face and kisses him softly. "Baby, I love you. I told you numerous times that I want to grow old with you. And now, I want to make it official."

Siwon takes the necklace away, takes the ring out of the chain and takes Kyuhyun's left hand. He is kneeling on one knee before Kyuhyun, looks at him in the eyes and raises the question. "My lovely Cho Kyuhyun, will you marry me?"

Kyuhyun feels his knees wobble, he is speechless. He looks into Siwon's eyes. All he sees is love, sincerity and honesty. He realizes he will be in good hands for the rest of his life. Without hesitation, he nods and whispers, "Yes."

The young one feels like flying and he realizes seconds later that his body is being swung by the overly excited Siwon.

They stay there for a little while, trying to calm their heart beats. Siwon hugs Kyuhyun from behind and a tear escapes his eyes when he feels a light movement. Kyuhyun just made an "I ♥ U” sign on the back of his palm.