The Beginning of a Very Long Journey

Infected With The Sound Of Your Voice

"How does Yeon-Seo do it?! She's so natural in front of the camera!" Eun Rae asked, moitioning over to our leader who was currently in the middle of her solo photo shoot.

"Umm...I guess she just has more experience than us. She is older after all." I replied. Simple enough right? Yeon was our leader for a reason. She had to set an example for us younger members, show us what there was to know about this business. Though she really only had a few more years on us. It was enough to make a difference. Yeon was the oldest, therefore she had the most refinned style and was very beautiful. Before I was able to think any further, a voice interupted my thoughts.

"Experience? Probably. But its not from the photoshoots if you know what I mean..." Hei-Ryung said, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Hei, that's not very nice. Do I sense a little bit of jealousy there?" Ae-Cha asked, raising an eyebrow to the younger girl. Hei simply looked down and mumbled something angrily to herself. She'd been caught. Ae-Cha always seemed to know peoples true feelings. It was a little odd, but it came in handy quite often.

I glanced over to the set of the shoot, and saw Yeon walking back towards us. With each step she took, my heart raced a little faster. We'd already done the group shot. And everyone else had done their solo shot. That meant, it was my turn. I couldn't do it! I was already uncomfortable in this outfit just standing here. The whole concept for us was a zombie thing. My outfit consisted of a black long sleeve shirt that had been ripped into horizontal gashes on the torso and sleeves. It was so ripped, I hardly understood how it stayed together. Underneath that, I had a lavender tank top that ended just above my belly button. Lavender was our color, so we had to wear it some where. For pants, I had destroyed black skinny leg jeans. Rips everwhere, bleach stains, splashes of lavender paint everwhere. At least the boots were comfortable. Though they were covered with buckles and zippers, the heels were small.

Hair and make-up on the other hand was an altogether different story. To go with the zombie theme, we had dark make-up. Though it really did bring out our best features, it was a tad annoying to be able to see a ring of eye-liner everywhere I looked. My dyed blonde hair had been curled into lose waves, that was fine by me. But...I still felt uncomfortable being like this in front of other people.

"Sang-Hee? It's your turn now." the photographer said. I side stepped quickly and hid between Eun Rae and Ae-Cha, hoping they would serve as a shield before I managed to escape the room.

"You'll be fine Sang-Hee. Don't worry, we're all here for you. If it helps, we'll turn on the music for you okay?" Ae-Cha offered, her compassionate smile automatically made me feel considerably better.

"Now go knock 'em dead!" Eun Rae said enthusiastically as she pushed me all the way over to the set.

I gulped nervously as I starred into the camera lense, like a deer caught in the head lights. I looked around anxiously for an escape route, sighing when I found none. Then, the faint music in the background became a bit louder. I glanced over at the other girls, to see them smiling at me. Wow, was I ever being a wimp. This wasn't a big deal right? People took pictures all the time! I took pictures often now that I thought about it. If I took my mind off the shyness that had consumed my mind, I would be fine.

The first few shots were pretty awkward, but soon enough, I got the hang of it. I wasn't tough like Hei, I wasn't y like Yeon, mysterious like Ae-Cha or outgoing like Eun Rae. But, I was myself. Which was exactly what people wanted to see right? Finally I was in the swing of things, posing in ways that felt right, ways that weren't outside of my comfort zone.

----          -------     ----------

"Well done girls! INFECTION's debut is sure to be a success after todays photo shoot." Our manager said with a cheery smile on her face. "I knew I did something right when I picked you girls."

"Well, we'll try our best to make sure you still think that even after our debut." Yeon-Seo said with a thumbs up. Though she was seen as the y one of us all, she actually had a great personality. I was glad to call her our leader. Our group was already getting pretty close together. As we sat around the table in the small resturant enjoying our celebritory meal, I could feel the bonds being formed.

"Cheers!" Eun Rae said, holding her glass out to the middle of the table. The rest of the group followed her lead and put their glasses towards the middle and clinked them together.

"INFECTION!" We shouted happily and then each took a sip of our drinks.

"I'm so nervous for our debut, do you think people will like us Ae-Cha Unnie?" I asked, tugging gently on the older girls sleeve.

"I can't say for sure what people will think Sang-Hee. But, if we try our best, I'm sure some people will. Just try not to worry over it too much okay?" Ae-Cha said, patting the top of my head reassuringly.

"Oh! By the way! Tomorrow, we will be meeting up with another band. They offered to help you all get a feel for the industry. Be your mentors. I'll be sure to wake you all up a few hours before we meet them for lunch." Manager said. She was pretty forgetful after all, she probably knew about this weeks in advance. But had neglected to tell us until now.

"Mentors? I wonder who it could be...maybe it's SHINee! Oh! Or B2ST...Or...." Eun Rae said, beginning to list off an assortment of bands she knew. As we laughed at her hyper antics, I really couldn't help but think of who the band could be. Who would want to help an up and coming girl band? I had no idea, but I knew it was all to be revealed soon enough.