Pathos

Instant Character

If you've taken an advanced English course of any sort, you've heard this literary term before. Pathos. The dictionary definition of pathos is "a communication technique and one of the three modes of persuasion; represents an appeal to the audience's emotions."

We're not talking about your character's emotions, specifically (we'll cover that in a future chapter). We're talking about how to communicate well enough so your audience may relate to what your character feels. If you've read some really engaging fanfiction that toys with your emotions like it's silly putty, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Fanfiction characters that are not realistic cannot convey relatable or powerful emotions that the reader can connect with.

To touch the readers emotionally, step out of your little bubble. What I mean by that is: don't get so obsessed with making your own little story of perfect OTPs and willy-nilly, romantic scenes that you forget to step back and look at the bigger picture.

If you watch a lot of movies like myself, you'll notice that most directors tend to incorporate a lot of happy scenes, then introduce a sad scene to make the biggest impact. In the same way, you should take your readers on an emotional rollercoaster, but don't rush! Rushing into scenes and trying to get everything out there at once with no progress ruins the surprise at the end. Take a few chapters to flesh out your idea, and always think in the audience's point of view. If you were reading your own story as a third party, would you relate to the character?

Would you be happy if they were happy?

Would you cry if they were experiencing some hard times?

If you really want the readers to relate to you, play the pity card. The audience loves sympathizing with a victimized character because grief is easily one of the strongest emotions next to anger. Happiness, in too many doses, is too boring in fanfiction.

That being said, one of the most common misconceptions about incorporating angst into a fanfiction is how most readers think angst equals death. No, no, no! Character deaths are the easy way out of writing an angst story, and if you rush it without giving the character some value, people will most likely think the character's death was poorly planned. The best way to handle angst is to build it up. Even overused character deaths can be amazing if they are executed the right way.

Let me give you an example:

  1. Girl starts walking funny on her way to school.
  2. A few days later, she starts having nosebleeds.
  3. A month later, she starts having strange symptoms and hides the truth from her friends and family.
  4. The symptoms worsen and her eyesight starts getting hazy.
  5. Her loved ones find out when it's too late and she's hospitalized.
  6. She tries to be strong and uses the last of her energy to help ill patients like herself.
  7. She forgets the names of her friends and family.
  8. She eventually forgets her own name and passes away in her sleep.
  9. A boy who had a crush on her all this time leaves flowers at her grave, apologizing for not being there for her.

You get the idea. I just thought of this plot right off the bat so it obviously isn't the best, but this outline is obviously better than what most authors attempt by diagnosing a character automatically with a rare disease, then killing her in a few chapters. Like I said, if a scene is too rushed, the readers also feel rushed and can't enjoy the suspense of a great plot. Character deaths are meaningless if you forget the reader's perspective.

I was going to address user Daena_'s question in the next chapter, but I feel like it could be answered here as well, since we're on the topic of pathos. Her question was this, quote-on-quote:

"I was wondering if you could help on how to create such characters that you don't really intend to have a positive image, but with the progression of the story, you see he's the real victim."

Great question!

I'm sure we've all felt sorry for a villainous character who loses it all in the end. That's exactly it, though! We feel sorry for them because the author does a great job giving insight to the villain's background, character, flaws, and everything. The villains of a story are equally as important as the hero, or the main character.

I have a fanfiction called "Pleasing Master L" in which Myungsoo is a villain whom every one of my readers hated. But, by the end of the story, most of my readers felt sorry for him and even dubbed him their favorite character. Instead of showing only their mean, bad side, you can treat your villains like a real person and describe their real thoughts, reflections, worries, dark pasts, and fears.

If you give a reason as to why they're a certain way, readers will also sympathize with the villain and it will be much more interesting than a typical plot where everyone takes the hero's side.

Some of the villains in famous works show their innermost thoughts that make people sympathize, and even pity them. Here are some examples:

  • Thor: We were raised together, we played together, we fought together. Do you remember none of that?
    Loki: I remember a shadow, living in the shade of your greatness. I remember you tossing me into an abyss, I who was and should be king! (The Avengers)
  • Albus Dumbledore: After all this time?
    Severus Snape: Always. (Harry Potter)
Loki was a bad boy in the movie, Avengers, yet he was only so manipulative and power-hungry because he was always second to his older brother, Thor. Then, of course, we have a classic, Harry Potter. Severus Snape was a professor hated by many in the first book, but readers discover later that he was serving Voldemort and risking his life to keep Harry, his unrequited love's son, safe.
 
Remember that almost all villains should have a motive for being bad. Nobody is bad for no reason. If you give light to these misunderstood characters, they may shine brighter than your heroes. Give it a try!