Chapter 6 295 Kelvins

Valkyrie

 

Taemin is an Iceree warrior that is sworn to protect my royal line.  My mother was once one of those he protected before she ran away into the human realm.  He was sent from the lore to train me for the coming of the Sephirii.  We visited my parents in Valhalla and they suggested we stay in the human realm to finish my training and also encouraged us to seek the Valkyrie's help.  Many will be after me as I learn to hone my powers and having an exiled Valkyrie gives us an advantage.  No Valkyrie has ever protected an Iceree fae or vice versa.  They are sworn enemies after all.  It was odd seeing my parents.  They still looked young and vibrant except for the blurry look about them.  They almost looked like ghosts, but they were tangible.  They held me for a hug and they felt cool and warm at the same time.  Comforting.  Safe.  
 
We need to get Ryu on our side of the fight.  So we realize that we must stay in school and continue to pretend to be Kai the human student with his three best friends, his wolf pack, his protectors, his Dogs of War, in order to keep persuading her.  Taemin would continue to watch from the school grounds.  I started training and there are times when my body would show black markings.  Taemin said they are from the Source.  It maps out the energy in my body.  Most loreans have markings but none like mine.  Usually theirs are small and concealed because their energy comes from other elementals such as the Earth, the light, sound waves, water, etc.  My energy source is from the Source itself which over encompasses many things.  The markings cover my entire body reminding others that I am the Malachai and my powers come from anything and everything.
 
It's been four weeks since the first attack, that is before BoA's premature attack on Ryu.  It's been too quiet and Luhan and Taemin has everyone on high alert.  Ryu pretends she doesn't hear us.  She doesn't acknowledge us at all either.  I can understand her indifference.  Her entire clan and entire world turned their backs on her for something she did not even do.  They killed her parents preventing them to continue in their post-existence in Valhalla where mine are continuing to exist happily together.  
 
 
Baekhyun and I are walking across the courtyard to lunch when an orange smoke appears before us.  Baekhyun changes into his fae state:  his wings are a deep gray and his hair changes to black with mahogany streaks, pushed up and away from his face.  He has a black vertical mark across his left eye and his armor is as black as midnight.  His bow and arrow is drawn.  A gargoyle emerges from the smoke.  It has five large horns along its back and one even larger one on his head.  He swings his thick tail at Baekhyun and he flips backwards to avoid it.  He extends his bow and arrow and shoots two at one time attaching the gargoyle's left hand to the wall.  The gargoyle wails as he struggles to remove the arrows.  Baekhyun attacks the gargoyle's feet causing its legs to buckle.  He wraps its own tail around its legs and shoots three arrows through it.  The gargoyle grabs hold of Baekhyun's wrist with his free hand and Baekhyun's arms begin turning into stone.  I kick the gargoyle on the side of his head and he loosens his grip on Baekhyun.  The stone begins to crumble and Baek brushes it off.  
 
"Don't let it touch you.  Stay behind me."  Just then Taemin rushes in stabbing the gargoyle's chest multiple times with his ice daggers.  The gargoyle grabs the crystals and turn them into stone and crushes them with his hands.  It detaches its hand from the wall and stands above us.  
 
"Force fields won't work on gargoyles, they penetrate it like dragons do."  Baekhyun says when I suggest to use it.  
 
"Step back you two.  Baekhyun, protect the Malachai."  It's times like these when I wish I have fully grasped my powers.  Taemin says I should be ready in four more weeks.  Because I am the Malachai, I learn quickly.  It seems like an eternity of a wait.  Just then more orange smoke appear behind us.  Another gargoyle emerges.  This one is bigger and angrier.  "It may be good to call in for reinforcements."  
 
Baekhyun's palms begin to glow and light hits the gargoyle's eyes causing it to stumble backwards.  Gargoyle number two uses its arm to block the light and his arms begin to singe causing it to scream.  Sehun slides from under its legs and as he turns to face the beast his silver wings expand.  His hair is the same color as his wings and he too has a vertical line across his left eye.  Sehun pushes gargoyle number one with a great force of wind.  The gargoyle is unable to move.  Luhan somersaults over the larger gargoyle that Baekhyun is burning with his light energy.  He remains afloat with his white wings extended and keeps himself steady in mid air.  The vertical line across their left eye is a symbol, a mark of their pack and loyalty to me.  He motions his arms causing the doors of several lockers to detach from its hinges and stabs the burning gargoyle.  It wasn't enough though.  The two gargoyles begin to heal themselves by adding more cement from the pillars.  I looks around and the students aren't at all affected by the ensuing chaos.  
 
"This is happening between the realms.  They cannot see or feel their presence."  Luhan tells me.
 
"Great, all that fight was only temporary."
 
"What do we do?"  Baekhyun asks Taemin.  Thunder growls in the sky.  The gargoyles look up at the dark clouds above them.  
 
"That's it.  Rain.  Water."  Taemin forms ice crystals around his feet and extends it under the gargoyles.  As if they know his intention, they begin to move away from the group but Taemin prevents them as they freeze to the ground.  But their strength allows them to break out of the ice.  Lightning begins to strike and the rain picks up.  A blue winged creature hovers above them.  Her chest armor is made of diamonds causing the gargoyles to be in a trance of some sort.  Luhan says they are enchanted.  They stand still staring hopelessly at the Valkyrie in front of them.  The stoned gargoyles seep in the rain water.  After a few minutes the rain stops.
 
"Baekhyun, light please."  Baekhhyun points his palms at the two gargoyles and light is seen between the cracks along their bodies removing all the moisture.  "Sehun, wind.  And Luhan, I would love to not be covered by gargoyle ash."  Sehun breaks down the stones that once made up the gargoyles and once the pieces are left in a pile, Luhan scatters them far away from us.  
 
"You couldn't stay away?"  Taemin asks smiling as he reconstructs the battle scene.
 
"And let you have all the fun?"
 
"Does this mean that you're in?"
 
"So long as you keep your crazy lover away from me."
 
"No worries.  I sent her back to the lore."
 
Ryu.  I run up to her and give her a hug.  
 
"What the, Kai, stop, this isn't like you."  She pushes me off her.
 
"You told me before that I belong to you, what took you so long?"  I tease and remind her of her possessive nature towards me while I wrap my arms around her.
 
"Valkyrie are known to love, umm, beautiful things, that is in our nature and of no control of mine."  She tries to explain.  
 
"OK, and why were you late?"
 
"We are also very stubborn."
 
"But you're here now, you're with me now?"  She seems taken aback.  Perhaps I am being too obvious.  
 
"Calm down Malachai.  This adoration for me is due to my valkyrie state.  You being half-human cannot resist it."
 
"So are you saying what I am feeling for you, this, desire, is not of my control either?"  I whisper in her ear.
 
"Exactly."  She tries to stand firm.
 
"I don't get it.  Because in your human form I feel the same way."  I turn around and head to lunch leaving her to swallow that.
 
We all move towards the lunch room as if the gargoyle attack was an everyday occurrence.  I overhear Ryu and Taemin talk as they follow behind us.
 
"Is this what you trained him to become?  A tease?"
 
"He is like that on his own.  But who can blame him Ryu, you are enticing."  For some reason I can feel my vision change, things are darker, cloudier.  How long did these two know each other and in what capacity?  "I mean, I should know, I've tasted you."  The marks on my hands appear and I turn to Taemin and stare at him fiercely.  He freezes as I glare at him.  I grab hold of Ryu so she walks right next to me.  As soon as I take hold of her hand I feel a sense of calmness.  The marks are gone, my eyes are-
 
"Kai, look at me."  She says as she takes her palm and places it on my cheek.  "You need to calm down.  Others will see you."  She looks at my eyes.  "His eyes are blue, a dark navy."
 
Luhan comes to look and he nods, "He's turning. There will be more episodes like this.  His birthday is in 2 days.  He will be unable to control even the slightest of emotions."
 
"Kai, you need to learn to calm yourself.  You will start feeling a pull of emotions.  You still don't have the power to mask it so others in this realm will notice.  Here, look at your arms.  The marks that will appear all over your body once you access your full powers will begin on your hands and crawl up your arms.  But you can control this with some more training.  Luhan, you need to show him.  What have you guys been doing all this time?"
 
"Fighting.  Combat.  Defense.  We still don't know what his powers are considering it's from the Source which basically means he can draw his powers anywhere."  Luhan scratches the back of his head.  "We've never experienced this before.  We were just told to protect him at all cost.  Not train him.  This is all new to us."
 
"Taemin will show you."  I grab her hand, not wanting to let her go.  "Kai-ssi?"  
 
"Don't leave me."  She scoffs at me and peels my fingers off her.  
 
"I am not your protector.  I am just, on stand-by, just in case your Dogs of War can't protect you."  She gets up and leaves.  
 
"Bite me."  The noise level in the cafeteria lowers.  Mumbles can be heard by the humans watching.  
 
"What did Kai say to her?"  Students are saying.
 
"Bite me?"  They continue to whisper.
 
"Is he being sarcastic?"  The rumors are spreading.
 
"Did something happen between them?"  I can hear their whispers and their thoughts.  Bite me could mean that I am annoyed by her.  But the loreans before me all knew what I meant.  If she bites me and I bite her, we can exchange energy for a moment and she will be my protector forever.  She continues to walk away from me but is stopped by Hyuna.
 
"What did you say to Kai?"  She looks at Hyuna.  She no longer has her Valkyrie attitude, she's back to her human self.  Shy, quiet, indifferent.  She bows to Hyuna and apologizes.
 
"I didn't say anything to him.  I am leaving now."  And she does.  I follow her but Luhan stops me.
 
"Let's get lunch and then head back to class.  We will continue training once we get home."
 
"There has to be a way to get her on our side."  For everyone's sake, I need her by my side.
 
"There is.  You'll figure it out."  He gives me a creepy smile.  
 
 
The final bell rings and we head back to my house.  Taemin  meets us there.  I remember how he and Ryu were talking earlier today and it makes me a little angry thinking about it.  I decide to pry a little bit out of sheer curiosity and a bit of jealousy.  
 
'Taemin-hyung."  He turns to me and gives me a kind smile.  It's hard to imagine that he's a warrior.  "You and Ryu, you two knew each other before she was exiled?"
 
"We were lovers."  My eyes begin to burn, lovers?  My sight becomes cloudy and then crystal clear again.  I am seeing Taemin in his fae form, even though I know he is in his human facade.  A flash of him moving to the couch comes in my mind, but when I open my eyes again Taemin is still standing by the window, looking out and telling me a story about him and Ryu.  "She and I used to run to the valleys and hide in the tall grasses.  We'd swim in the waterfalls-"  He seems lost in his thoughts.  He moves to the couch just like the flash I saw of him.  He continues his story.  "She was a royal.  A Valkyrie royal.  The highest rank.  But like all valkyrie she was also a warrior.  I know you don't see that side of her, but she is a hot-head.  Fiery.  Instinctual.  Battles between Valkyrie and other clans were one by her alone.  The best fighters of each clan would challenge the Valkyrie.  And she always won, with ease.  Her parents wanted to keep her safe away from war considering she is royalty.  But Ryu wouldn't have that.  She's a warrior, valkyrie are all warriors, and her ability to control lightning was unparalleled.  While all valkyrie derives their power from lightning, her ability to control it is rare.  Electrokinesis is one thing, but she was also able to move objects, telekinesis.  No valkyrie has this capability, no lorean for that matter.  We always saw it as a gift from the Source."
 
"Do you-  Do you still love her?"
 
"I do.  I always will."  That wasn't what I wanted to hear.  He stands up to face me.  "I don't know how she feels anymore.  She's still unpredictable like always, that hasn't changed.  She's broken, Kai.  Her parents death then her exile from the lore broke her as well as the death of someone she loved dearly. I can understand why she doesn't want to fight our cause."
 
"Can you change her mind?"  I am struggling with what's important.  My obvious feelings for her or my cause.  Either way, I need Ryu.  And want her at the same time.
 
"You boys done talking about me?"  Now that I've seen her in both valkyrie and human form I no longer can tell the difference.  She's stunning no matter what state.  And I know that it isn't because she's a Valkyrie and she has that affect on humans.  Even in her human form I find her beautiful.  A flash:  Taemin kissing Ryu.  My hands ball into a fist.  
 
"You spying, your majesty?"  Taemin teases her.  She smiles and moves towards Taemin.  She wraps her arms around his neck and locks eyes with him.  Taemin doesn't flinch.  The two stare at each other and I anticipate their next move.
 
"You aren't bad looking in your human form Taemin."  The two are having a moment.
 
"Ya.  Ya!  I am stil in the room."  They kiss.  The marks on my arms appear and electricity fills my hands, and without any control I push them away from each other.  Taemin hits the wall hard and shakes from the electric current running through him and Ryu is falling towards the couch, I appear behind her catching her fall.  
 
"How did you-"  She stares at me.  "You were over there, and now you're here.  Kai."  Taemin is brushing off pieces of the wall from his shoulders and hair.  "You pulled us apart."
 
"Telekinesis, electrokinesis to be exact."  Taemin mumbles.  "And teleportation.  Daebak.  Looks like you aren't that unique anymore, your majesty."
 
"Are you okay?  I'm sorry.  I just… My mind wanted you two apart and it just happened."
 
"Next time, don't use too much force.  I've had enough battle scars, don't need another one, at least not from this kind of situation."  Taemin reconstructs the broken wall.  
 
"Kai.  You can let go off me now."  She looks at me softly.  "Your eyes are midnight blue."
 
"Do I look like a monster?"  I can only imagine what kind of lorean I will look like coming from the Source and all.
 
"Not a monster.  You look-"  
 
"Kai!"  Baekhyun-hyung interrupts us.  Ryu moves out of my arms and straightens herself up.  "What happened?"  Baekhyun sees Taemin finish fixing the wall.  
 
"Our Malachai here has discovered his powers."  
 
"Taemin, for real?"
 
"Electrokinesis AND teleportation."
 
"But his power comes from the Source, so more of his powers will be revealed?"  Sehun points out and Taemin nods.  
 
"Let's get some more training in."  Taemin leaves the room expecting the others to follow him.  I don't want to leave Ryu.  I want to stay with her and my arms wrapped around her forever.  She was warm, so warm, and her scent… I want to taste her too.  I keep staring at her and I know my eyes are still a midnight blue.  She moves towards me and takes my hand.  
 
"Let's go.  I'll be with you during tonight's training."  What is she?  I mean, I know what she is, but what is she to me?  She was exiled here in Seoul where I am living.  Is she meant to be more than my protector?  Perhaps it's just wishful thinking in my part.  I want her to be more than a protector.  I want to be more to her than the Malachai that her fate is tied to.  I want what Taemin had or has with her.  
 
"Ryu."  She stops and looks at me smiling.  "About your exile-"
 
"Don't Kai.  It's something that I have to deal with alone."
 
"I know your history has been erased."  I show her the assignment she wrote.  She unfolds it and looks at me shocked that I have it.  "I want you to know that you matter to me.  I want you to know that, well, Valkyrie or not, you are important to me."
 
"Kai, stop."
 
"Let me finish, please."  She allows me to but lets go of my hand, I hold on to it again.  "You will never be alone.  I will be with you always.  Allow me to be with you.  Always.  Let's make our own history, huh?  You and I, together."  
 
"You are so corny."  She laughs.  Okay, that wasn't a reaction I thought she'd have.  "History.  You may not recall yours on account that it was blocked for your protection.  But I remember mine, clearly.  I fought for my clan, I protected my people from ensuing battles.  And I also remember when my own turned their back on me to protect you.  My parents were killed, I was exiled.  My history erased.  Regardless of what happens between you and I, I will always be alone.  I may stand in my Valkyrie state, I may protect you, the Malachai, and save the lore, but I have been already forgotten.  When it's all said and done, if we survive the Sephirii, I am still just Kyrie.  A sentient.  A nobody."
 
"I am the Malachai.  I will make sure every lorean knows who you are."
 
"That's endearing, really.  But so unrealistic."  She tries to pull away from me, but I don't let her go.
 
"Ryu."  I place my hands on the sides of her face and force her to look at me.  "You will see things differently.  I will gain my powers, I will learn to wield it.  I will become the Malachai of legend.  And you and I will be-"  I hesitate.  What will we be? Friends?  BFF's?  Oh gosh, I am corny.  Lovers?  "More than friends."  That's all I manage to come up with.  
 
She laughs at me again.  "More than friends?"  She takes my hands but doesn't remove it from her face.  "Your touch is cold, but in a good way.  The average body temperature of a human is 310.15 Kelvin, a valkyrie's is 386 Kelvin on average.  An iceree fae…"  She leans into my left palm and places her lips on it while closing her eyes.  My heart begins to beat faster and my lower region stirs as well.  Oh gosh.  What is she doing to me?  "…is just above absolute zero at 273 kelvin or 0 degrees Celsius.  But since you are half-human, your body temperature is 295 kelvin."
 
"Ryu, um, what are you doing?"  She continues to keep my hands on her face.  Her lips begin to turn blue and when she exhales vapors come out of .  "Ryu!"  
 
"Don't move.  It feels good."  
 
"Your lips.  They're blue."  I felt my hands cool before I touched her face, now they are warm, but not too warm, just right.  She opens her eyes and they are silver again.  "You're.  So.  Beautiful."  Her lips turn pink again and she smiles devilishly.  I want to kiss her.  I want to touch her now pink lips.  I want to feel her warmth next to my own lips.  
 
"Ryu.  Stop seducing the Malachai."  Taemin breaks our gaze.  I let go of her face.  And I can feel my temperature drop back to normal, well, my normal.  With my touch her skin turns a pretty porcelain without it her skin is still a beautiful tint. 
 
She moves towards Taemin and she locks arms with him.  Damn it.  My valkyrie is a tease.