Chapter 3 Malachai

Valkyrie

 

 
I guess Kai isn't like the others.  That's good to know.  I sit on the roof of the school building to watch the soccer game.  My vision is like that of a bird of prey I suppose, I'm able to adjust my eyes no matter how far I sit.  The crowd is large today and the sky is clear, perfect for a good game of soccer.  I spot Kai, Baekhyun, Luhan and Sehun on the field.  They are excited for this game, and that makes me smile.  I anticipate a good game, then I sense a presence that I haven't felt in a very long time.  My ears twitch to a familiar sound, ice crackling.  It's different from those heard in Seoul's winter months.  This one is different.  This one has power, an energy about it.  I look at the source:  atop the score board stands a lorean.  No human can see it.  His hair changed from light mocha to a deeper chocolate and his wings are black with purple streaks.  His eyes are turning a deep silver like the ice crystals forming under his feet.  He slides over to his target creating a thin sheet of ice from the scoreboard to Kai.  I see him wrap his arms around him, Kai isn't aware of what's taken hold of him.  I jump off the roof and my wings emerge.  My hair turns silver blue and lengthens to my waist.  I am in my complete valkyrie state after 4 years and it feels so natural.  
 
I swoop down towards the field to where Kai stands frozen from the creatures hold.  Like a hawk diving in for its meal, I grab the iceeree fae by the neck.  He releases Kai to defend himself from my attack, I push Kai with my hand and I carry the fae away from human eyes.  I drop him on the roof and he stands quickly forming ice crystals from his hands.  He throws a few towards me and I block them with my armored forearm, one crystal cuts me on my right cheek.  Lightning strikes a metal partition behind him and I use telekinesis to knock him with it just enough to make him lose his balance.  I float over to him and he blocks my hand and pushes me off him.  He side kicks me with his left leg and I go over the ledge.  My wings extend and I fly back towards the roof top, I see him jump off heading towards the stadium again.  I stop him at mid flight by grabbing his wings and pulling him back on the roof top.  As he stumbles to recover from being slammed on the cement, I land in front of him and grab his neck lifting him up to face me.  His feet are dangling slightly and with my left hand I grab his right wing and bend it, he lets out a scream and his ice crystals begin to form on my shoulders and it stings as he tries to free himself from my grasp.  I tighten my grip on his neck and wings and lightning begins to strike around us.  I gain strength from the bolts and he continuous to buckle in pain.
 
"Who are you?"
 
"Has it been that long since you've seen a lorean up close, your majesty?"  He removes his mask and reveals his face.  Taemin.  I let go of him and he shakes the choke hold off like a wet dog.  He heals himself right away, and smiles up at me.  "You haven't changed, Ryu.  You're still as beautiful as ever."  I slap him across the face. 
 
"You look good yourself."  And he really does.  I realize then why I am so attracted to Kai's features especially his full lips and dark eyes.  He is a human version of Taemin, an iceeree fae who showed a lot of affection towards me long ago.  Our kind is sworn enemies but Taemin and I didn't care about that so we used to meet up in the deep valleys of the lore and swim under the waterfalls.  "Why are you in the human realm?"
 
"That's all you ask after all these years?"  He gives me one of his killer smiles.  It's as devilish as one of his ice crystals that cut me earlier.  He takes his hand and wipes it over the cut on my cheek.  It heals quickly.  "Have you forgotten how to heal yourself?"  I remove his hand on my face.  
 
"Why were you after the human?"
 
"The human?  Really?  All this time and you had no idea…You really didn't know?"  Thunder crackled in the air.  Taemin gets startled from the lightning that seemed to barely miss him and he rubs his arms to brush off the goosebumps from the darkness emerging because of an angry valkyrie in front of him.  "Come on, let's go somewhere where we can talk."
 
 
~In my small house just outside the Monestary~
 
"Malachai?"
 
"In the lore there is a story, that has been passed down by the tongues of our ancestors for centuries.  A unique creature of lore was said to be born of the Source.  The Source is balance, it is life, it is death, it is also the origin of our powers.  It is said that the Source chose a guardian, a protector of the lore who has the power to maintain peace amongst different realms and unite lorean clans as well as destroy them.  Only when needed will the Malachai show itself to the lore.  No one knows where or who it is.  They just know it exists.  Recently while you've been on 'vacation' the Horde, a group of witches and evil demon clans, have conjured something they say will balance the all-powerful Malachai, something that challenges it.  They named it the Sephirii and it has made it's appearance in the Iceeree castle of Sion.  They came with a, proposition, to rid of the valkyrie once and for all."
 
"I have not been to the lore for years, 4 years in the human realm is 4 centuries in the lore.  I am disconnected from my own kind, and my own family from the high courts removed me from my home."
 
"You and I know first hand that our clans have never been friendly, but there was a secret meeting with your clan's royal family, your aunt, the queen of Elron, with my king of Hailstone.  They've asked me to search for the Malachai in order to save the lore from the Hordes and the Sephirii.  There was a reason for your exile Ryu.  Why do you think that the Malachai stood in that soccer field?  I will not be the only one in search for him.  My job is to take him back to the Hailstone safely.  Others will simply have his head.  He is vulnerable here in the human realm as he is mortal.  The Horde knows this."  
 
"My exile was planned?"
 
"Your parents knew of the Malachai from the Iceree princess.  They all knew about the Horde's plan to take him over when he is of age."
 
"If he is the Malachai then training is only half the battle.  Because he is half-human he can be persuaded to join the other side."
 
"That is why training him now is very important.  We need to unlock his powers before others do.  Others that will move him away from his destiny to protect and provide peace in our realm."
 
"He will still be vulnerable despite your attempts to train him.  It seems to be a hasty undertaking."
 
"That is why I need you, to protect him.  You are the only one powerful enough to do so and the only one here in the human realm that loreans cannot sense.  Once exiled you are wiped away from our history, so-"
 
"Don't remind me."  
 
"You need to exchange energy, that way you are connected.  What he sees you see, what you see he sees.  The Horde would never think that a Valkyrie would be protecting him, an Iceree fae, and one of royalty for that matter.  The easiest way to do it is having him bite you and you bite him."
 
"Gross."
 
"You didn't mind when I bit you."  He reminds me cheekily.
 
"That was for other reasons.  You are a warrior, you didn't need protection."
 
"It was all for desire I suppose.  You really did taste good if I remember correctly.  Do you still have my mark?"  I try not to be affected by the way he is looking at me.  He his lips and begins to move towards me.  I stand up to break his gaze.
 
"And to think, just last night I was feeling sad for myself being alone these past four years, and this entire time the strongest lorean ever has been sitting right next to me."  I laugh at my fate.  
 
"Not just one, but four.  The Malachai's friends are of lore.  They are his Dogs of War, his own soldiers."
 
"The Malachai, doesn't know he exists, but his soldiers do?"
 
"His memory was blocked by the Iceree fae princess that your family help escape into this realm.  The Horde tried to search for the Malachai in order to turn him on their side, make him evil, but our Princess protected him, kept him hidden in the human realm.  His soldiers have protected him thus far."
 
"Some soldiers, they didn't even notice you grab hold of him."
 
"Ah, but that's because I'm that good."  I actually laugh at his remark.  I recall he's actually good at other things too.  Like make my heart flutter.  "I have to take the Malachai back.  I need to train him to fight the Sephirii before the Horde finds him and destroys him first.  So I need your help."
 
"Why didn't you ask me to help you earlier, instead of attacking him at the field?"
 
"I wanted to see your reaction.  I've seen the way you stare at him."  The raven.
 
"That was you?"  
 
"Your really need to control your emotions.  I'm surprised his soldiers didn't catch you."  I show him the necklace my mother gave me.  It contained a rock found deeply buried in the mountains in the Lore that masks my valkyrie state from other loreans.  
 
"Didn't you ever wonder why we never got caught when we'd sneak around together?"  Taemin laughs.  It's good to see him again after so long.  I move over to him and sit on his lap.  My legs wrapped around his waist.  I remove my human facade and so did he.  I kept my armor off, it wasn't like we'd be battling again.  He kissed me gently at first.  "Seriously, that's it?"  He smiled and grabs my face and kiss me passionately.  
 
 
I woke up in the arms of Taemin.  His light mocha skin is smooth to the touch and his chest against my back kept me cool and comfortable at night.  Being a valkyrie it is often difficult to stay cool.  Despite the war between our clans, it makes perfect sense for a valkyrie and iceree fae to be lovers, it is a perfect balance.  I feel him kiss the back of my neck and shoulder blades.  
 
"You still taste so good."  I feel his tongue 'taste' my skin.  "Ah, it is still here."  He traces his lips and tongue along the back of just above the curve of my hip bone.  "You're still mine."  I feel the point of his fangs along my skin.  
 
"Don't."  I demand.  He prevents himself even though I know it's hard for him to stop.  Instead he leaves soft kisses along my back then I break his kisses to face him.  He leans into me and kisses my lips.  
 
"Easy with the tongue."  I manage to say between kisses.  He chuckles.  
 
"Being with you here, I forgot why I came in this realm."  He continues to kiss my neck this time.
 
"Retrieve the Malachai."  I moan out to him.
 
"That's right."  I push him off me and I stretch out my arms.  "Will you help me?"
 
"I am going to be late for school."
 
"Your body hasn't changed.  You're still so strikingly beautiful."  He takes his fingers and draws a line along my back and the contour of my waist, I leave the bed just when his hands move past my waist.  "Come back."  I feel a chill.  He is using his ice crystals to prevent me from moving.  
 
"That's cold."  I lift a pillow via telekineses to hit him in the face and break free from the chain of crystals that held on to me.  "What are you going to be doing while I am at school?"
 
"Probably think of you, and the things I want to do to you."  
 
"Shut up."  I slam the door of the bathroom and I hear him chuckle as he tucks himself back under the sheets.
 
 
I leave Taemin in his dreams and get to school.  As soon as I walk in the room my eyes peer over to Kai and his soldiers to try to listen to their conversation.  I didn't have much time to think about how to encounter them now that I know their secret.  Perhaps it isn't a concern of mine, it is Taemin who needs to bring him back.  Was my exile planned like he said?  Doubtful.  I don't even understand what my role is in all of this.  Did my parents want me to be the protector of the Malachai?  This I know, he is the reason my mom and dad were killed.  They should have found their final resting place in Valhalla, and not be killed and travel a desolate post-existence in the river Styxx in Hades' hell.
 
 
"I'm glad you don't hate us from keeping it from you."  Luhan tells Kai.
 
"I wouldn't have believed it if you didn't show me your powers.  It is a lot to take in."  It seems one of them is putting up a force field but that doesn't affect me at all, I am one of them, so I can hear everything they say.
 
"Do I have a special power too?"
 
"You have many.  We can't tell how many and what specifically until you train and grow some more."  
 
"But I need to keep it hidden?"
 
"That's the important thing.  As soon as the Malachai uses the power derived straight from the Source, all of lorean will know.  For your safety, yes, hiding is key."  They aren't aware of the ensuing attacks coming their way.  Taemin will warn them for sure.
 
"What am I again?"  Kai asks in his low, husky voice.
 
"Iceree fae."  Baekhyun whispers lower.  I look up from my seat.  I face them trying to hear more.  "More specifically an Iceree fae of royalty.   Even more specific, you were chosen by the Source as the Malachai."
 
"Why was I created again?"  Perhaps things haven't sunk in yet for him.  
 
"Balance.  Maintain balance."  Baekhyun answers.  Kai buries his face in his hands.  
 
"I guess going to university is out of the question, huh?"
 
"We don't know if what held you was a threat.  We can't jump into conclusions.  And we need to do a better job protecting you, master."  Sehun.
 
"No, don't think it was your fault.  And don't call me master, that's weird."  Brotherhood between dogs of war.  
 
"Sehun and I will look into your attacker.  We will visit the lore."  Luhan suggests.
 
"We should also look to visit your parents in Valhalla, see if they can provide insight."  Sehun suggests.
 
"You say that like its no big deal.  Valhalla, is a form of heaven for loreans?"  A tinge of jealousy fills me.  Kai can see his parents in their post-existence. 
 
"That's right Kai, you were listening last night." Luhan says.
 
"So can I see them, my parents?"  
 
"Of course.  They should have been the ones to tell you of your origin."  Baekhyun smiles at Kai like an older brother would to the youngest.
 
"Something is happening in the lore, something that is causing them to come to the human realm.  The attack on the Malachai means something and we need answers Baekhyun."  Luhan says in a shaky voice.  
 
"The Sephirii."  The others look at Baekhyun.  "There's a story about the Horde conjuring up a creature that is powerful enough to take down the Malachai and destroy clans at will.  If loreans are searching for Kai now, that means the Horde is on the move, a clan or two has hired them to destroy something or someone or perhaps an entire clan.  Either way, Kai is in danger."
 
"All this time my parents hid my true nature.  I sensed I was always a little off.  The four of us were always so good at everything, too good sometimes."  
 
"Ani, that's just your nature.  While we are in the human realm we are forbidden to use our lorean state.  Kai, you are talented not because you are the Malachai."
 
"Why me?  Why was I chosen to be the Malachai?"
 
"I understand how you are feeling.  Learning about your origin and knowing how impactful you are to all of our fates, including yours and the ones in this realm and the lorean realm, are not something to accept lightly.  But you are what your are because of this."  Baekhyun points to Kai's heart.  "You were chosen because of your kindness.  You are the Malachai, you were born to protect, and when a challenge arises it is your duty to take your position and do what you were born to do."
 
"Is it too late to take it all back?"  Kai lets out a dry laugh.  He is accepting of his role but still shocked to understand it all.
 
"We can only protect you for so long, after that, when the time comes, you will have to decide for yourself.  Good or evil.  It is ultimately your decision.  Others will lure you to their side, to their cause.  Even if you are from the Source, it is your heart that decides our fate and yours."
 
"This is too much pressure, don't you think?"
 
"You've always been good under pressure.  Always indifferent, always focused, always Kai."  Baekhyun reminds him.
 
Luhan wraps his arm around his shoulders.  "You are the strongest of all loreans.  You will be even stronger with training and once you hone in on your true lorean form, you will be THE Malachai of legends.  But what is even stronger is your heart.  That is why the Source chose you.  Your parents sacrificed their lives in the lore for you.  They escaped and many died for your cause.  To keep you safe so that when the time comes, when a time like this comes, you will be on their side to protect their loved ones, their descendants, from the Sephirii or any other evil that wants to destroy the lore."
 
My parents are one of those sacrifices.  Lightning struck near the window just outside the classroom startling everyone.  The four loreans next to me look to the window and I see the raven perched on the nearest tree branch.  Taemin is here.  They sacrificed their lives for your parents, Kai.  And I was placed in exile.  Was that planned by my aunt who is now the queen of my Valkyrie clan?
 
"We can talk more later.  For now we protect Kai, be on alert.  But also go on with our facade as humans."  Luhan reminds the others.  
 
 
Thunder rumbles again and I continue to keep my head turned towards them, listening and contemplating where I fit in in all of this talk about the Source and the Sephirii and the Malachai.  A part of me is angry.  I can easily take revenge.  I have always thought of searching for the Iceree fae princess who ran away with her human lover and was the ultimate cause of my parents death.  I didn't realize they were running away to protect their child, Kai, the Malachai at that.   The math doesn't add up, how old was Kai when they left for this realm?  But then again we are loreans.  This must be Kai's immortal age.  
 
All this doesn't change anything, my parents still died because they protected him.  I glare at Kai picturing what I could do to him.  I could challenge the Malachai while he is still vulnerable in that he hasn't had any training.  He wouldn't know what hit him.  His three dogs of war could easily be beaten one on one, I am a higher ranking lorean, but they wouldn't be fighting one on one with me, they are a pack after all.  Luhan and the others stare back at me curiously.  They still have their force field up so technically I shouldn't be able to hear anything.  But from the way I was staring back I could understand their concern.  I look up and pretend that I can't hear a thing.
 
"Is she listening?" Sehun asks.
 
"No way, the field is up."
 
"Why is she staring?"
 
"She has a crush on Kai probably?"  Damn, how'd they know.  I look away nonchalantly, scratch my head as if confused, and lay my head down again.  I hear a peck on the window next to me.  Taemin is trying to get my attention and he flies away towards the roof.  I get up and stretch.  Still pretending I don't hear them, and I head for the rooftop  
 
"Odd bird."  I hear Baekhyun say.  I am a Valkyrie, I may have wings, but I am no bird.  Now Taemin on the other hand… 
 
 
He stands right on the ledge with his wings spread out.  He is a magnificent sight in his fae form.  His hair stands straight up about 5 inches above his hair line with the sides combed shorter, an organized, messy up-do.  Typical Taemin.  It's a deep mocha color and it reveals all of his beautiful features.  His arms are slightly muscular and his fit legs are noticeable in the slim cut fatigues he's wearing.  His daggers still hang at the sides of his thigh for easy access.  He was always a good fighter, perfect precision when attacking with his blades.  His sword of choice is shorter then other loreans, he prefers two of them and he is skillful with both.  When he fights he has an easy flow about it.  Like a dance.  Graceful.  His wings are dark gray with slight purple streaks. They are wider than before, he has aged I suppose.  He was a teenager when I left the lore 4 centuries ago.  His wings are fuller, stronger, and there are noticeable scars.  Battle wounds.  Taemin isn't royalty but he's close to it.  He's a warrior and is in charge of protecting the royals of his clan.  He was also my best friend and lover.  He looks over my shoulder and gives me a lazy smile.
 
"You're awake.  What's up?  You really shouldn't be in your lorean state right now."
 
"No worries.  They can't see me, my field is up.  It feels good in this state.  I don't know how you do it."  I sit next to the ledge facing the roof top door while he stares at the horizon.
 
"You get used to it.  And this helps."  I show him my pendant.  
 
"It's only natural for us to be in our lorean state, don't you ever wish to spread your wings from time to time?  How often do you use your powers?"
 
"I will use my telekinetic powers when I am lazy but after my second year here I stopped flying around in the city.  I learned to accept my fate here."
 
"That's the thing, Ryu, do you even know why you were exiled?"  
 
"My parents helped the iceree fae princess escape to be with her human lover.  And now I know it was also to protect the Malachai.  Their child was the chosen one."  I say almost dramatically.
 
"What about you though?  Why were you sent here in this human realm and to be this close to the Malachai?"
 
"I have no idea."  I start playing with a couple of cement rocks that broke off from the ledge and circle them around the air a few inches above my hands.  
 
"The Malachai has protectors, the Dogs of War, those three with him now.  They are like me Iceree fae warriors, but travel as a pack, so it makes them even more efficient.  But they can be sensed by other loreans because they are a wolf pack, their scent is strong, it's meant to be so others stay away.  But you, being a valkyrie-"  He stops himself.  Then continues.  "Your aunt knew the high courts would exile you so she chose carefully.  She chose the same place that the Malachai would emerge as a human.  You are the chosen protector."
 
"A valkyrie protecting a iceree fae.  That's laughable.  Besides, my family hasn't made contact with me at all.  How do you or I even know that this was the reason for my exile."  
 
"The high courts completely believe you are exiled, but your aunt placed you here to make contact with the Malachai.  You need to earn his trust, expose yourself to his dogs and help train him with us before it's too late."
 
"I can't do that."  Taemin stops me.  His hands are cold and I can feel ice crystals forming around my wrist.  "Let go of me."  I demand.
 
"If you don't help us, then you are considered a threat."  My blood begins to feel cold and my arm suddenly feels numb.  
 
"Taemin-ah, let go of me."  Lightening begins to strike around us and I can feel its energy counteracting the chill he placed on my arm.  He finally lets go.
 
"Many will be after the Malachai, and you will watch as they destroy him and then go after your home?"
 
"The lore kicked me out centuries ago.  There is no history of me there.  I was EXILED!"  Thunder rumbled in the air followed by sparks of lightning.  "It is no longer my home."  I say calmly.  Taemin's eyes turn deep purple.
 
"You are from the lore, you are a lorean.  Your mother and father sacrificed themselves for the Malachai's safety so that the Horde and the Sephirii wouldn't destroy you, us, the realm they loved!  How can you just stand here and feel unaffected by that!"  
 
"My parents died because of the Malachai!"  Lightning struck at Taemin's feet and he jumps over the ledge, his wings keep him hovered next to me and the rooftop I stand in.  "If anything, I should be the one killing him, for revenge."  Taemin flies towards me too fast for me to react.  He pushes me against the stone wall of the building.  Lighting scatter around us and thunder begins to rumble crazily.  My wrists are attached to the wall with ice wrapped securely around them.  I am unable to easily gather energy from the lightning bound like that.  
 
"Get over yourself, Ryu.  There are some things that are bigger than you and I."  Taemin's purple eyes glare it me.  He finally calms down and lets go of my neck and melts the ice around my wrists.  I look at them and see frostbites.  I knew he'd react that way, he is a warrior first before my lover.  His eyes turn sympathetic and he reaches for my hands and I move away from him.  "Let me heal them."
 
"I can do it myself."