Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness

Brothers for Life (Second Version)

 

Junsu had been sitting in his office alone for the past eight hours, skipping lunchtime, frowning at things he read, and avoiding phone calls unless it was that important. He flipped some papers upside down over and over again. Sometimes, he wrote something on the papers. Sometimes, he picked up his phone and called his staffs to bring some more papers.

Something’s missing. Something huge.

“What is it? What is it? Oh, God, please tell me what is it!” he whispered to himself occasionally.

He read his company’s financial reports over the last two month for the twentieth time when his personal secretary knocked the door. He looked up and smiled tiredly at her.

“Junsu-shi, you have to be in Changmin-shi studio in two hours,” she smiled from the doorframe.

“Do I have any appointment with Changmin?” Junsu looks at her questioningly.

She sighs and nods. “The exhibition, remember? You said you wouldn’t want to miss it for the world,” she mocks the way Junsu told her about this exhibition two weeks ago and asked her to remind him about it. She laughs softly and Junsu follows her before she shows her serious but gentle expression again. “Just have some fun with your friends. I’m sure you’ll come up with something once you’re fresh. You’re a genius, boss!” she encourages him.

Junsu nods and looks down to his messy table. The papers are all over it and he laughs slightly. “Alright, I’ll go now.” He stands up and looks back at her again. “But, umm, can you help me tidying the table up? Then, you’re allowed to go home. I’m really sorry for keeping and troubling you.”

“Keeping me? Office hours haven’t been finished yet, so you’re not keeping me, boss,” she smiles with full of understanding, “now, go. The traffic will be crowded soon and you still have to go back to your apartment to clean up. I’m sure Changmin-shi won’t be happy if you come late.”

“Oh, please, this exhibition will last for three hours every night in three days. He won’t mind if I miss the opening,” Junsu waves his hand like shooing some flies away.

His secretary rolls her eyes at him. “Just, go, okay?” She pushes Junsu out of his room. “I’ll ask someone to send your stuffs back to your place tonight. Don’t forget to pick up something to eat on your way to Changmin-shi’s studio. And,” she stops for a while when she sees the confusion in Junsu’s face because of everything that happens at the time, “fighting, boss.” She slams the door of his office right in front of Junsu’s face.

Junsu stumbles back a little bit before he gains his own consciousness. His own secretary just slams the door in front of his face. And, now, he can hear her singing inside the room. He sees her reflection through the window while she’s cleaning the table. Junsu looks around and realizes that his staffs are looking at him weirdly.

“You okay, boss?” one of them asks him.

“My own secretary just kicked me out of my own office. Do I look like I’m okay?” he asks jokingly.

His staffs shrug and laugh at him. Junsu shakes his head before he leaves the building.

People in his office know that there’s something wrong with the company. They have heard the gossip that for the first time after fifteen years the Kims had been successfully putting the company on top of the world in so many sectors, the company’s selling record is decreasing and this is not good. But, when they see Junsu, their own vice president, is still trying so hard to keep the atmosphere around the office as normal as it used to be, they stay quiet and work hard to help Junsu and his family fixing whatever problem the company’s facing right now. Although, deep down, they know they probably will get fired soon when they look at Junsu’s tired figure every time he comes out of his office.

They’ve been working with Junsu for the last three years now ever since he just graduated from the best graduate school of business in Korea. In the first year, his father hired him as a regular employee, just like other normal people. He used that opportunity to build a great working atmosphere with the other employees. And, when he was promoted, as vice president, working under his own father, they know he’ll success because he has the talent as a great businessman and a great boss. Everyone loves him for his down-to-earth personality even though his family owns the company.

Junsu will blame himself if the company’s really going down. So, this time, he’ll work as hard as he can to fix the problems. He has to.

“Yoochun, this is Lee Nara,” his mother tells him while gesturing to the pretty girl that just came into the restaurant with her mother. Yoochun gives her the most charming smile he has to the girl and bows politely at her.

The girl looks like she’s the same age as Yoochun, or maybe a little younger, probably a year younger than Changmin. She looks so mature and beautiful, even though she dresses up simple in white and not too much make up. Her black long hair is tied up, but there are a few strands of hair that fall down to her shoulder.

Nara blushes a little but seems obvious because of the white skin she has. She bows back at him. Yoochun stretches his hand to shake hers and he definitely can feel the soft skin against his when she shakes back.

“I’m Park Yoochun. It’s really nice to meet you,” Yoochun says gently but full of confidence. Truly Casanova.

“Lee Nara. Please call me Nara and treat me well, Yoochun-shi,” Nara’s voice is soft.

Mrs. Park chuckles at the polite conversation that’s going on around his son and Nara. “Oh, please, you two, just speak comfortably to each other.”

Nara laughs softly and nods. “It’s okay, auntie, we just met.”

Mrs. Lee shakes her head. “You two will get along with each other soon, so just call him oppa, Nara,” she tilts her head to Yoochun’s direction.

A wild polite smile never leaves Yoochun’s face. “It is okay if Nara doesn’t want to speak comfortably yet, auntie. It’ll take sometime, I guess.” Yoochun’s a real charmer and he knows exactly how to gesture his own body to make women fall in love with him, because even Mrs. Lee blushes a little when he looks at her in the eyes.

“No, Yoochun, speak comfortably,” Mrs. Park speaks sternly at his son.

Nara and Yoochun nod at the same time. “Okay, mom,” Yoochun says and kisses his mother softly.

One of many reasons Yoochun understands really well about treating women is because he’s really close with his mother. It’s not that he’s not close with his father, but he’s father is in the air forces. So, he’s very firm and barely home ever since he was still in junior high until now. His father is a very important person in the military so he travels a lot. Sometimes, he takes Mrs. Park with him, but when he doesn’t Yoochun would always come to accompany his mother if he’s not flying a plane. His mother always teaches him how to treat a woman very well and it actually works with him.

“We have to go now. We were actually shopping and just passing by this restaurant when we saw the two of you. My husband is waiting at home,” Mrs. Lee says while bowing politely at Yoochun and giving Mrs. Park a hug before leaving.

“Nara is very pretty, isn’t she?” Mrs. Park speaks when they sit back at the chairs.

Yoochun gives her soft smile and nod uninterestedly. He looks down at his coffee and stirs it absent-mindedly.

“You know Mr. Lee is in the navy, right? Your father is really close with him. And, Mrs. Lee went to the same university as me. That’s why we’re really close,” Mrs. Park explains again, trying to gain interest from his son.

“Really, mom? Don’t you think it’ll be interesting if I get married with Nara?” Yoochun jokes and takes a sip of his coffee because it is almost five and he has to be at Changmin’s studio soon.

“Do you really think so? Because that’s exactly what we have in mind too,” Mrs. Park says and claps her hands elegantly. She is so excited of what Yoochun says, but she tries to control herself because that’s how she grew old.

Yoochun almost spits his coffee out. He coughs a few times and takes a napkin to dry his mouth. “Mom, I was joking. And, who do you mean with ‘we’?”

“Your father and I, Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee.”

“Does she has this suggestion in her mind too?” Yoochun frowns.

“Who? Nara? I don’t know. Maybe,” Mrs. Park shrugs. Yoochun sighs at his mother’s reply. He is ready to talk back, but his mother holds his hand, which shuts him up immediately. “Look, she’s a good girl, okay? She just got back from London. She’s a psychologist and she has a bright future. You’re a co-pilot and you’re handsome. But, you’re already 27 and you never introduce us to anyone that you’re really serious with. Just, please, my dear, if you have trouble meeting the right girl, let us help you.”

“I’m not having trouble meeting a girl, mom, I-“

“The right one, Yoochun, I said, the right one.”

“I-“ Yoochun is speechless. He never thought he’d have his mother begging him for things like this. He thought his parents still don’t care. What is this? An arranged marriage?! It’s 2013 for anyone’s sake!

“You’re our only son and we just want to see you getting married with the right girl, have so many grandchildren, and that’s it. That’s what we really dream of. Can you just stop playing and make it happen?” Mrs. Park stares at him with soft gaze and Yoochun feels guilty.

He looks away and thinks of the words for a little while. If it’s his father that talks to him now, he’ll never listen. But, it’s his mother and he was always an obedient kid to his mother. He never says no. And, he never has the heart to say no now. He looks at their intertwined hands, before looking into his mother’s eyes again. “Okay, so, what should I do?”

“I want you to take her out. Get to know her more. Ask Junsu or Changmin to come with you if you don’t feel comfortable with her yet. Just be her friend first and, later, you can tell me what you think about her. We won’t push you to make it work with her, but just, try. Okay?”

Yoochun nods hesitantly. “Okay, okay, mom, I’ll try.”

“That’s my boy,” she smiles and caresses Yoochun’s cheek. “Do you still want to go to Changmin’s exhibition?”

“Yes,”

“Well, I guess you have to leave now. I want to come home soon too. Your father will be back from Tokyo tonight. I need to prepare things for him.” She says, standing up and she kisses Yoochun’s cheek. “Be safe, okay?”

Yoochun smiles softly and nods at his mother’s word. He watches her leaving the restaurant before he goes to his car and drives to Changmin’s studio.

“You’re gay,” Minho says in the middle of fitting session.

“Oh, please, just because I always show up with your clothing line doesn’t mean I’m gay. If you really hate me, I’ll terminate my contract for the next season to be your model. Deal? Deal. Awesome!” Jaejoong beams annoyingly.

Minho, one of the most talented fashion designers in Korea and the world, rolls his eyes at this young model. “You’re being an , do you know that?”

“Not gonna change my decision to terminate the contract,” he says cockily.

“I’m just saying, you have to get into the military in like two years and nobody ever saw you with a girl. Ever. Not even a rumor. While your other four handsome bachelor friends-“ Minho realizes the way Jaejoong looks at him weirdly when he mentions Yunho, Yoochun, Junsu, and Changmin with his own way, “-have seen with girls so many times.” He sighs. “My point is…you’re gay. Or at least, you act like gay.” Minho takes the pin off of Jaejoong’s clothes and turns him to face the mirror. He pats Jaejoong’s shoulder and looks if there is anything that doesn’t fit his taste.

“You’re weird,” Jaejoong mumbles.

“And you’re getting fat, mister,” Minho says without feeling sorry, “you have to work out a little more.”

“Oh, just hurry up, please! I have to go to Changmin’s exhibition!”

“Be patient, Jaejoong-ah, I need you to be perfect to be in my fashion show. You’re gonna wear my masterpiece, okay?” Minho slaps his shoulder so Jaejoong will stop shifting around uncomfortably. “Ever since you keep going back to Paris, you’ve became very snob, do you know that?” he scolds him.

Jaejoong pouts. “I just don’t like the topic that you brought up,” he admits.

Minho laughs. “Why, honey?”

“I know people keep saying that I’m gay. But, I’m the man with principle, okay? I don’t want to have a playful relationship and you know in the ‘world’ we work at, everyone seems so…fake. So, I’m sorry if I haven’t met the girl I wouldn’t mind to go out with.” Jaejoong looks away.

It’s true. It’s not that he’s not jealous whenever his friends introduce him to their girlfriends. But, he just never really meets the one that would make him down on his knees and regret it if he has to go out of the country for a long time. And, he wants to meet her naturally, like bumping into the street and spilling coffee on each other’s shoes at the coffee shop.

“Okay, stop the whining and the imagination. I’m done here. Go change and you can leave,” Minho orders him.

Jaejoong gets behind the curtain when he hears Minho speaking to him. “Don’t care about what people say. You are who you are and who you want to be. Just take your time, Jae. You’re right, relationship isn’t something to play with. I’ll leave, okay? See you next week, J.”

Jaejoong smiles at his encouraging words. In 5 minutes, he walks out of the fitting room and gives the Minho’s clothes to the worker there before leaving the building. He puts his earphone on and decides to take a walk. Changmin’s studio only a few blocks away and an afternoon walk wouldn’t kill him. Well, fans probably will know him on the street and cameras will follow, but he doesn’t care. He needs fresh air.

After a few minutes of walking, he bumps into someone and her coffee is spilling all over his coat when she makes a turn to Jaejoong’s direction.

“Crap,” he hears the girl mumbling to her self, “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you,” she says to him finally. She takes out handkerchief from her bag and offers it to Jaejoong

Jaejoong shakes his head and takes the handkerchief from her hand. He tries to clean the stain on his coat. Fortunately, his coat is black so the stain doesn’t really show. But, he can smell the coffee where he goes.

“I’m really sorry,” she says again and Jaejoong looks up to the pretty brown eyes. Her hair is tied up messily and she doesn’t wear any make up. She’s sweating in the cold weather. She must be just done working out. And, Jaejoong is amazed.

“It’s okay. I walk to fast too, so it’s not entirely your fault,” Jaejoong smiles.

She chuckles. She seems very unhappy about this. But, she tries to give her sincere smile to him. “I’m sorry again.” She bows at him and looks to him with guilt all over her face. She doesn’t seem to recognize Jaejoong and Jaejoong smile get wider.

“Jaejoong,” he introduces himself confidently while stretching his arm out.

The girl’s brows kitted together as she shows her confusion to Jaejoong. “You don’t introduce yourself randomly to a girl on the street, right?” she says walking away, “Because I’m not that easy.”

“Hey,” Jaejoong calls her. She stops for a while and looks back after a few seconds of hesitant. “Promise me you’ll tell your name if we ever see each other again?” he says with the same confident smile on his face.

“Promise,” she replies in a mocking tone before walking away.

Jaejoong laughs. He looks down to his hand; he’s still holding the girl’s handkerchief. He squeezes it softly and looks back for the last time. When she’s really out of his view, he begins to walk again.

Yunho walks inside the studio three minutes before six o’clock. He looks around to find his friends. And, when he hears Junsu’s catchy laugh and Jaejoong’s whines and Yoochun’s husky voice, he knows exactly where to go.

“What did I miss?” Yunho says as he wraps his arm around Yoochun’s shoulder.

Hyung!” Junsu beams like a child and grins.

“Jae hyung met a special girl,” Yoochun whispers loudly, pretending to be secretive.

Yunho’s mouth forms an “O” shape. “Who is this girl?”

“I don’t know,” Jaejoong says, still with the same confidence since thirty minutes ago when he let that girl go.

Yunho frowns. “You don’t know? How do you know if she’s special when you don’t know her?”

Jae shrugs casually. “I just know she is. We bumped into each other on my way here and she spilled her coffee all over my coat-“

“Exactly like what he has in his ert mind,” Yoochun cuts him off. Yunho nods, understanding. Junsu laughs a little.

“Anyway,” Jaejoong glares at Yoochun, “she didn’t know me. So, I introduced myself and she just left. But, she promised to tell me her name if we ever meet again. You guys get it?! She rejected me!” Jaejoong yells in the middle of the room with people whispering and admiring the paints and the strains of piano as a background. So, yeah, he’s pretty loud and caught other people’s attention very well.

Yoochun automatically puts his hand on Jaejoong’s mouth and Junsu pushes him to the corner of the room. Changmin’s in the same room as them and he snaps his head to their direction. When he sees Yunho’s apologetic grin to the entire room, he only shakes his head.

“Stop your lunatic attitude, hyung! We get it that you met the girl of your dream! But, you don’t have to be so cocky about it!” Yoochun whispers harshly.

“Oh, please, you’re overreacting!” Jaejoong says. When they’re finally settled on the corner of the room, Changmin get into the small platform, giving speech about this exhibition and bla bla bla. Yunho and Jaejoong are probably the only who really listen to his words among the four of them. Jaejoong finally continues their conversation after Changmin’s opening, “So, what’s up with you guys?” he asks to the other three. He tilts his head to Yoochun on his left and gesture him to start talking.

Yoochun shrugs. “Nothing much. Just my parents are trying to match-making me with the best friends’ daughter.”

“Ouch! Our Casanova is going down soon, isn’t he?” Junsu teases him.

“You think? I’ll find a way to not let this stupid idea my parents have get in my way. I mean, what’s the big deal of being 27 and not having a woman to marry, right?” Yoochun asks. Actually, he is asking for his friends’ support.

“The big deal is you’re not getting younger, Chun,” Yunho tries to be wise.

“Oh,” Yoochun folds his arms in front of his chest, “look who’s talking! At least, I have ex-girlfriends, okay? And, they’re all real girls. Unlike you who have a relationship with your work.”

“Hey, hey, Jaejoong hyung is the worst in a relationship, okay? Keep Yunho hyung out of this,” Junsu defends Yunho. But, he gives Jaejoong a sad smile soon after his joke.

“I just met the girl of my dream thirty minutes ago. Isn’t that enough?” Jaejoong feels offended.

Yunho shakes his head. “You haven’t proved anything. Trust me, it’s not enough.”

“The point is…” Yoochun glares at each one of them and they quite down soon, “you guys have to help me.”

“You know what’s the best idea?” Yunho asks mockingly, “Why don’t you introduce the girl your parents match you with to Jaejoong. It’s the best way to get rid of her.”

“Stop mocking me, okay?” Jaejoong says to Yunho, and then he turns to Yoochun, “Okay, we’ll help you. Just tell us what to do, Casanova. Happy?”

“Delighted,” Yoochun answers with a grin on his face, “So, what’s up with you, hyung?” he asks Yunho on his left.

“Not much either,” Yunho shrugs, “I’m handling a few cases now and one of them is about my uncle.”

“What is it about?” Yoochun asks curiously.

“Something about some land ownership. I don’t really get it, actually, because I haven’t talked to him. I asked to meet my uncle two days ago while we were having family dinner, but he didn’t came. So, yeah, I don’t know,” Yunho explains.

“Weird,” Jaejoong frowns, “your family is one of the most respected family in Seoul since your grandfather is a former Mayor of Seoul. I don’t think it’s very wise for people to play around with your family. I mean, land ownership…?”

“I know, I know. I can feel that it’s gonna be a weird case. Really weird,” Yunho agrees and he turns to look at Junsu on his left, “And, you. What happen with you? You’re a little quiet tonight.”

Junsu is daydreaming when Yunho looks at him. He looks up to find his three other friends looking back at him weirdly. “It-it’s nothing, hyung.”

“You stutter when you lie or hide something,” Yoochun looks at him sharply; “tell us,” he orders Junsu firmly.

Junsu sighs tiredly and looks everywhere but his friends’ eyes. “The selling record of our company is decreasing. I don’t know… I’m still trying to analyze what’s going on with it. And, something’s missing. B-but, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it.” Junsu smiles, assuring his friends that he’s fine.

They know it is much harder than what Junsu told them, but they don’t want to push him. He already looks like he carries so many burdens on his shoulders. He probably does since he is the next in line to lead his family’s company. And, they know that he’ll do everything to make it all work because he feels like he’s the only hope of his company.

Yunho puts his arm around Junsu’s shoulder and pats his hair. “You know you can ask anything to us because we’re here for you, right?” When Junsu nods, he smiles, “Good. That’s all that matters.”

Jaejoong takes his hand and squeezes it lightly. Yoochun smiles softly and when he sees Junsu’s eyes brim with tears and tiredness, he pokes his cheek softly to play around with him. And, Junsu smiles immediately.

 

Suddenly, Yunho’s phone buzzes off. When he checks it there’s a message. A weird one. Your family has been enjoying this world too long. Be prepared about the truth that your respected grandfather did when he was stil the Mayor of Seoul. Enjoy the night, Jung.

When Junsu sees the frown in Yunho’s forehead, he asks, “What is it, hyung?”

Yunho looks up and smiles awkwardly. “Just got the weirdest text message.”

“Enjoying the paints guys?” Changmin shows up out nowhere right in the end of their share-your-problem-to-us session. And, Yunho’s message is forgotten immediately.

Yoochun turns around and claps his hand. “Our little painter!” he says pretty loudly and wraps Changmin’s neck with his arm.

“Are you drunk? I just did the opening speech and you’re already drunk?” he says uninterestingly. Yunho and Junsu laugh at his sarcastic tease.

“You know you can say ‘Thanks, Yoochun hyung, for the compliment and I hope you enjoy the event’, Changmin-ah,” Yoochun replies.

“Yeah, whatever, hyung. What I missed?”

“Jaejoong’s meeting the girl of his dream and he doesn’t know who she is,” Yunho points at Jaejoong.

“Weird,” Changmin says.

“We know,” Yoochun whispers and unexpectedly kisses Changmin on his cheek.

Hyung!” he yells. But, since he’s the owner of the studio, he can do whatever he wants to do. “Why are you doing that?” he pushes Yoochun away. And Yoochun laughs non-stop. People keep looking at the five of them. They are the most famous group of hot bachelors in Seoul.

Changmin steps back when he suddenly feels a wave of pain in his gut and heartburn. In a few seconds, the pain is too unbearable that it makes his whole body hurts. He doesn’t hear Junsu’s calling his name and he doesn’t feel Yoochun’s holding his hand when he sees Changmin’s losing his balance. What he knows is that he feels the taste of blood on his tongue. He coughs and he saw it in his hands. He looks up to the terrified Jaejoong to ask for help, but he doesn’t register what’s really going at the time. His knees finally give up and Yunho comes into his view before everything goes black.

 

 


I'm really sorry about the Minho's part.......I don't know what to name a fashion designer in Korean name :D

 

ENJOY MY UPDATE :):)