Tonight

Kiss Your Aching Heart

If loving you was a sin, then I would've signed a contract with the devil

 


 

Chapter 6 – Tonight

 

 

 

            I hadn’t realised I was staring at them until Taemin had pointed me out to Jongin and they both turned their attention to me. When I realised Jongin had motioned me to come over, I kept my calm and walked over, trying not to mind Taemin’s gaze. The two of them were in high spirits and I was suddenly getting this very tumbling feeling in my gut. I didn’t want to admit anything just yet, but I don’t think things will go my way.

            “Jiyeon, this is my hyung, Taemin from dance classes.” Jongin said, ecstatic as he introduced us to one another.

            Of course, how could I forget…? Taemin was a dancing genius. After all, he was the one who taught me how to dance.

            “Hello” we bowed and I got the idea that Taemin had no plans to tell Jongin about our history so I went along and just continued to fake it.

            “Hyung, this was Jiyeon, the girl I told you about” you could definitely hear the joy in Jongin’s tone and my heart throbbed painfully. I wanted to tell him so badly… yet I’m afraid to hurt him. But then, by not telling him, it would just hurt him even more. What to do? What to do?

               “Ah, you’re right Jonginnie, she’s really cute” Taemin grinned as he ruffled the younger’s hair.

            “Hyunggggg!” Jongin whined but hid a smile of embarrassment.

            “Sorry guys, I have to go. Nice to finally meet you Jiyeon-ssi” Taemin said with a slight bow before turning on his heels and heading off.

            When he was out of sight, I turned to Jongin.

            “What did you call me for?” I asked, hoping that didn’t sound too mean.

            “I wanted you to meet Taemin hyung. I’ve known him longer than I’ve known Luhan and the others. He’s somewhat special and the amount of respect I have for him is unimaginable” he said with a small smile.

            And there goes my conscience. Tell him…?

            “Actually, Jongin I…” before I could say anything he cut me off.

            “Oh, Yunha said you wanted help for your art assignment?” he asked and I paused to think.

            “Art assignment? Me?” I asked in confusion. What was he talking about? I didn’t ask—Yunha! I swear! This girl…

            “Oh… that…” I chuckled nervously.

            “So, what did you need help with?” he asked, pulling me with him into the library.

            “Er… it’s nothing really… the topic is ‘Imperfection’ but I don’t even know what Perfection is” I scoffed and looked around the aisles for my designated section.

            “You want to know what perfection is?” he asked, tugging as my hand.

            “What is it?” I inquired.

            “The first word in my question” his lips broke out into a broad smile.

            The first word in his—you! Wait… was he referring to me?

            “I am nowhere near perfection” I scoffed and shoved him lightly trying to hide my blushing face.

            “Maybe, but everything feels perfect when I'm with you” he winked as I cringed from the corniness.

            “You—you just have a way with words don’t you?” I chuckled, shaking my head and pulling away from him.

            “My tongue is very skilled… you can test it if you don’t believe me” he whispered from behind. My eyes widened and I playfully slapped his chest, ignoring the hidden meaning behind that statement.

            “Trust me, I believe you” I laughed.

            “Hey look, Sleeping Beauty” he said, grabbing a random book from the shelf and showing it to me.

            “I didn’t know you were into fairy-tales” I said, scanning the contents.

            “I’m into many things, one of them happens to be you” he rasped against the rim of my earlobe, a very sensitive spot causing me to immediately step away.

            “Okay…. Let’s move on” I cupped my ear and placed the book back onto the shelf as he smirked in triumph.

            “But, the idea of a random ‘prince’ kissing the princess didn’t appeal much to me” he continued.

            “How so?” I didn’t really take him on, since I was looking for something useful on my assignment, but Jongin seemed rather enthusiastic about it.

            “How would they know it was true love? Anybody could’ve kissed her and claim true love” he scoffed as I laughed at his childish argument.

            “Then if I was Sleeping Beauty, would you still say the same?” I lifted an eyebrow at him and he seemed a bit taken aback but then he smiled and stepped closer.

            “Maybe… how are you so sure I'm a prince?” he smirked.

            “You’re right… even the witch who cursed her could’ve been a princess” I shrugged.

            “Why do you say that?” he asked.

            “The witch is still a human, moreover a woman. I'm sure she just wanted someone to love, wanted a family, and wanted a child. We can’t just take one side without hearing the other as well, right?” I challenged and he stared at me for a long while before shaking his head with a smile.

            “Then… would you rather be a witch or a princess?” he asked.

            “Everybody wants to be a princess but a witch’s role is harder to understand if you haven’t been in their shoes” I poked his forehead and walked off. Or at least I was trying to but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

            “If you’re a witch, I’ll definitely try to understand you” he said causing me to laugh at him abruptness.

            “Then I look forward to the prince’s decision” I smiled, freeing myself from him and walking over to an empty table.

           

            It was already so late and I didn’t even realise Jongin had stayed to help with everything for my assignment. When the sky was getting dark and I glanced at my watch, I decided we would stop for today. Jongin didn’t seem to mind, I think he was having more fun than anything, if that was even possible. The dim light from outside shone directly through the windows and onto his face, enhancing subtle features about him I failed to recognise.

            His eyes twinkled in the light and when our eyes met, I could see his crystal orbs of brown, glassy and bright. I think he realised I was ‘checking him out’ because then he smirked and leaned over the table.

            “Why are you staring at me like that? Like what you see?” he wiggled his eyebrows and I just rolled my eyes.

            “Let’s stop here for today” I ignore his flirting and fixed my things.

            “Ok” he said and packed away his things as well.

 

            The walk home was unusually quiet. Normally Jongin would’ve started up a conversation or began teasing me or something but today he was quiet. Absolutely nothing. I glanced over at him and tilted my head in confusion. Was something wrong?

            “Hey you ok?” I asked.

            He looked at me shortly before bursting out into fits of giggles.

            “So it worked” he smirked as I stared at him cluelessly.

            “Luhan hyung said if I stopped trying to initiate a conversation you’d get worried. Heh~!” he smirked and I glared at him.

            “You are such a jerk” I scoffed, walking further.

            And here I was, genuinely worried about him. But no, he’s always having fun.

            “Jiyeon wait!” he called after me but I ignored him and walked away.

 

            I was in the middle of ignoring him when I felt a strong grip on my arm and before I knew it, I was being pulled back and spun around to lock gazes with Mr Kim Jongin. My heart thumped against my chest recklessly as he stared at me, lifting his hand to my face and pushing away the untamed strands of hair falling in my way. I chewed on my lips and looked down at the suddenly very interesting ground.

            “Hey” he called but I was stubbornly ignoring him. Jesus. If my heart keeps this up, I am sure he’ll hear me.

            “Look at me” he lifted my chin with a finger and I forced my eyes to meet his. His lips were pressed into a thin line and those bright puppy-like eyes were fixated on my face. His stare was piercing through me, through my heart and reading me like an open book. I gulped and furrowed my eyebrows to the centre.

            Out of the blue, a familiar red flower popped up into my face. A rose…

            “Wha—” I stared at the rose, carefully taking it from him.

            “Just because there isn’t a park or a bench doesn’t mean I’ll stop being a romantic Jongin” he winked, a clear smirk hanging from his lips as I chortled and rolled my eyes.

            “Romantic my ” I scoffed as he pulled me in for a hug, kissing the tip of my forehead.

            “What are you doing tonight?” he asked.

            “Nothing, why?” I played with the rose petals.

            “Want to see me perform?” he asked.

            “Perform?” I furrowed my brows.

            “Meet me here at 7pm” he smiled and handed me a piece of paper.

            “We’ll see” I smirked and pulled away from him.

            “Yah! You have to come!” he pouted.

            “Ew gross, don’t do that, you’re not 2years” I teased.

            “You like it” he smirked in turn before leaving.

 

           

            In the end, I ended up coming a lot earlier than expected. It was barely half six when I entered the little restaurant/bar club and made my way over to look for signs of Jongin. When I was sure, I couldn’t find him; I my heels and decided to take a seat. Just as my body moved, another person crossed my path and we bumped into each other. I immediately pulled away and apologised but my sentence was cut short as we made eye contact.

            “Oh, Jiyeon, it’s you” the voice belonged to Taemin, who smiled at me ever so cheerfully.

            “Why…?” I didn’t get to finish my question, as he had cut me off with a short laugh.

            “I’m performing today” he explained.

            Performing? Does this mean he’ll be performing with Jongin?

            “Why are you here though?” he asked, that slight glimmer in his eyes as he awaited my answer.

            “I came to see my boyfriend perform” I chose my words carefully, and even though I didn’t expect it to come out so coldly, it did. Taemin just nodded and looked around, as if trying not to show me the clear disappointment in his eyes.

            I pried my eyes away from his pouting lips and looked around for Jongin. Literally sighing in relief when I saw him walking towards us, I swallowed the hard lump in my throat and mustered a smile at him.

            “Oh, hey hyung, Jiyeon!” Jongin waved at us and Taemin stood straight and walked closer to him.

            “Ready?” he asked as Jongin nodded and got ready to leave with Taemin but stopped and walked over to me.

            I watched him as he approached me, expecting him to repeat one of his corny—lame, pick-up lines but instead he just dipped in and pecked my cheeks before smiling at me and hurrying over to Taemin’s side.

 

            The performance was definitely fantastic, actually, it was splendid. Sadly… as much as Jongin’s moves were beautiful, I found myself noticing Taemin’s slender movements a lot more than expected. Somehow, it didn’t remind me of the same person who’d taught me before… this person was overflowing with confidence; gorgeous with a hint of saturation. I shook my head at the thought and focused on Jongin once more.

            When it came to an end, I involuntarily rushed washrooms. After having a little too much to drink, I realised my bladder could only hold so much. With a sigh of relief I exited and was making my way back when I felt someone grab my arms and pin me to the wall. Groaning out loud, I opened my eyes and glared at the ert only to find Taemin’s round eyes of brown staring back at me.

            “What the hell—” my words were cut short as he clamped a hand over my lips and looked sideways before dragging me with him out the back.

            Just what in the world was going on…?

 


A/N: Hehe, hi guys! How was this chapter? Horrible? should i just give up on this story? Comments anyone?