Ni-ah

Regrets and Do overs

 

  I turned around and almost rammed into...Luhan. I looked up and he looked down. We both stifled gasps.

"What are you doing here?" I raised my eyebrow at his question.

"I live in the house next to this," Luhan subtly smiled. Luhan's mom clasped her hands together.

"Oh my, do you two know each other?" We both nodded. "That's great! I was worried he wouldn't make friends here. Most of all, I didn't think he would already have a girl and a gorgeous one at that," She winked at me and heat creeped up to my cheeks.

"MOM," Luhan whined, signalling his mom to stop.

"What? Don't tell me you don't find her cute?" His cheeks reddened at the question. "Thought so," He reddened even more as did I. Luhan's mom laughed at us while we struggled to compose ourselves. She handed Luhan a list of things to buy while wiping tears off from her smiling eyes. "Go buy dinner, I have to keep watch and make sure that the movers don't run away with our things." She shooed us away and went back inside the house.

"Let's go," I tugged Luhan's sleeve and started to walk. "So after this stop, you have to turn right and just keep walking straight, then you'll hit the market,"

      We kept walking in awkward silence. I was thinking of a conversation starter when something collided with the back of my waist. I yelped and turned around. Two big, round, hazel brown eyes stared back at me. I laughed.

"You scared me, Jaehyun." Jaehyun's eyes widened.

"Reawee?" I laughed some more and patted the 4 year-old's head.

"Your little brother?" I turned to Luhan and giggled.

"Haha, I wish. I babysit him on Tuesdays and Thursdays," I ruffled Jaehyun's hair when he tightened the hug.

"Jae! I wish you would stop running off by yourself when you see Beni!" Jaehyun's mom came running, red-faced and panting.

"Hey, auntie" I gave her a little bow. She smiled.

"Hey, Beni. Aish, Jae loves you too much." Luhan knelt down and went to ruffle Jaehyun's hair. Jaehyun whimpered and hid behind me. Jaehyun's mom and I laughed.

"Sorry, Jaehyun doesn't really like strangers," Jaehyun's mom came over and picked Jaehyun up. "Beni's an exception though. Sometimes I think Jae loves Beni more than his own mother." At that, Jaehyun nuzzled his mom's neck. Jaehyun's mom's face softened. "Well, I've got to go home now, see you tomorrow!"

   I waved goodbye and bursted out laughing at the sight of Luhan. Luhan was still staring at his hand like it was disgustingly dirty.

"Don't worry, he's like that to everyone," Luhan looked at me.

"Including you?" I scoffed at his question

"Not to brag or anything but I'm a pretty likable person and kids love me," I smirked. He chuckled.

"Sure, you're definitely not bragging," he said, sarcasm seeping through his words. My smirk deepened.

"Let’s go," I turned around and walked. Luhan power-walked and strode next to me. I looked up and took in the sight of him. Although he has a baby face, he's quite tall. It's almost comforting.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Here we are," We arrived in front of the nearest market. Its huge red sign blared down at us. We walked into the market when one of the employees came over.

"Beni!" I smiled at the man, not much older than me. "So for the- wait, who's this hottie?" He winked towards Luhan, who seems to have choked on his words. "Your boyfriend?"

"No, Len, he isn't" I secretly took a peek at Luhan, who now found the ceiling very interesting. "Well, I've got some shopping to do," I waved him off and went straight to the vegetable and fruits isle. Luhan quickly caught up to me. "What first?"

"Tomatoes," I picked up a pack of tomatoes as did Luhan. We looked at each other. "I think we only need one," I nodded and waited. He also waited, and there we stood for what seemed like minutes.

"Um, aren't you going to put yours back?" Luhan widened his eyes.

"I thought you were going to put yours back,"

"No, mine is riper," he scoffed.

"No, I believe mine is riper," I scoffed in return. And then, we stood there bickering on whose has the riper tomatoes.

"Ahem, the newly-weds on isle 64, please keep your voices down and stop fighting," Len strode in and eyed us.

"We're not newly-weds and we're just having a heated conversation about tomatoes," I glared at Len. He scoffed.

"The hottie has the riper tomatoes," he said as he walked by. Luhan rejoiced and did a little dance on the spot. I gingerly put my pack of tomatoes back.

"What's next?"

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Enjoy your newly-wed life!" Len screamed at the top of his lungs as we lugged our grocceries of the counter of the cashier. Everyone looked at us. Whispers of how young we looked filled the store. Our already red faces deepened in hue.

"Just wait till I get my hands on him later,"

"Huh?"

"Oh, I work part-time there," Luhan looked at me.

"Why do you have so many jobs?"

"Where else would I get money?" I shrugged my shoulders as I answered him.

"What about your parents?" I flinched.

"Let's go, the sky's getting darker," We walked back home in utter silence.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

   I slowly opened the back door and peeked in. When no one was in sight, I quickly dashed up the stairs and into my room. I breathe in a sigh of relief and turned to close curtains. I yelped and stopped in my tracks.

"P-p-put s-some clothes o-o-on," I covered my eyes while the half Luhan stared back at me wide-eyed. Yes, half and yes, Luhan has apparently decided to choose the room adjacent to mine, out of all the rooms in his house.

"Ah, sorry," he quickly threw a shirt on. Under that baby face, he sure has packed a lot of muscles to make up for it. I mentally slapped and punched myself. Now is not the time- it's always not a good time to admire someone's body. "So......your room?"

"Yes," I slowly took my hand off my eyes. I heard the front door open downstairs. "Oh, I have to go," I ran to my bag and grabbed a piece of paper.

   I took a cautious step, one after another. As I reached the last step, I took a deep breath and prayed. I walked into the dining room and faced dad.

"Dad?" He grunted. Well, at least he acknowledges my existence this time. "We had our report cards given to us today...I got straight A's." I showed him the piece of paper that showed how much effort I put into my studies. I looked at him for any signs of emotion.

For a moment pride, and happiness flashed through his eyes.

For a moment my dad, the one who called me 'Ni-ah' was there.

For a moment my dad, the one who loved me was there.

   However, he went back to being the cruel stranger that loathes my very existence. I gingerly turned around. I shouldn't lose hope...but it hurts. My hand rose up to my chest, grabbed a handful of fabric and clenched it. I walked up the stairs. I felt the weight in my feet as I took each step. The front door slammed open and then close. I heard my father's hearty laugh.

"My angel!" Pressure pushed at the back of my eyes. "How was school?" I silently murmured 'I made a friend today, daddy!' Tears brimmed at the edge of my eyes.

"Meh, good," I hear her go up the stairs. Senses kicked in and I quickly turned to go to my room. "Beni," I flinched. I could pretend not to hear her but she edged closer. "Beni."

   I turned and faced the girl who made my life a living hell, the girl who tore my family apart, the girl standing in between me and my dad.  Kang Kimi.

"Yes?"

"Is that the report card?" I nodded and clenched it close to me. "Give it to me," my eyes widened when I realized what she wanted to do with it.

"No, I worked hard for this. You're not going around with it, claiming that it's yours," she scoffed.

"So? It's not like anyone around here cares. Give it to me," I edged closer to my door.

"No,"

"You don't really have a choice. Give it to me." She pounced towards me and tried to grab the card. I pushed her off me and she landed against the wall. She gave up too easily. No. I slowly turned and caught the gaze of my enraged father. He thundered up the stairs.

"What is going on?"

"I just wanted to congratulate Beni for her straight A's but she pushed me instead," crocodile tears poured out of her eyes.

"No, it's not what you think-" he pushed me hard into my desk in my room.

"Don't you even think of coming downstairs." He gently grabbed Kimi, who had a smirk plastered to her face. I clenched my fists as I tried to resist the sobs went through me like spasms. I stood up and met the eyes of a horrified Luhan.

 

 

-------------------Author's Note---------------

Urghh, sorry for not updating sooner.

I've been really sick lately.

....that and I've been watching dramas and movies that make you cry like a little baby x'D

...I also read absolute Chanyeol..

brb another wave of sobs and feels coming through

bye