Characters

→ Sunny's Writing Tips

 

Now, let's talk about characters

Writers are people who are perfectionists. They want their grammar to be correct, they want their plot to flow smoothly, and they want scenes which makes their readers laugh or cry. 

Like all things, there are limitations.

Sure, perfect your grammar that the most brutal grammar Nazi will bow down to you. Perfect your plot that your readers will praise you nonstop.

But, never make perfect characters.

Us writers are perfectionists, and unconsciously, we make our characters perfect without meaning to. It's normal for us writers to make common mistakes like these, but we have to learn from them. Take a look at this character profile:

Kim Hye Rin
Kim Hyerin is someone you'd want to be. She's tall and has flawless, pale skin. She's mostly described as 'cute'. I suggest don't mess with her, because she can kick your , even though she has a small and petite body. She can speak almost all the languages known to man, so she's useful when it comes to foreign objects or people. Did I mention that she's super intelligent? She's top one of her school. She's shy, and she only has 3 best friends, 5 close friends, and 10 friends. She has the cutest pout ever. She's also very respectful, kind, considerate, generous, and all the positive qualities you know. 


Oh, but she's an orphan. 


Why, isn't Hyerin a beauty?

Do you really want to read about someone perfect? Not only do you not relate to her, but also you end up disliking her. Perfect characters are really easy to make, and easy to portray.

Just make everything go right for her.

Here are some pointers to develop your character better. 

• Give her imperfections. Yes, imperfections. I'm not saying to give her all the bad qualities that instead of relating to the main character, you feel sorry for her. And no, clumsy and forgetful are not the only bad qualities in the world. Arrogant, greedy, competitive, crazy, indecisive, mean, etc.

• Give her problems she can't face alone. Even the bright witch Hermione Granger needed Harry and Ron on her side. Even the victor, Katniss Everdeen needed Peeta, Gale and her family to succeed in the Hunger Games. Even the child of Athena, Annabeth Chase needed Percy Jackson and Grover by her side to complete the quests. Give your character problems that she couldn't face alone. And no, problems like she can't complete her math homework are not the other problems in the world. 

• Try to base your character off a friend. It's easier if it's someone you're close to, so you'll know his/her imperfections well. 

So, to conclude this tip today, make your character believable by giving her imperfections. Trust me, us readers are tired of reading characters like 'Kim Hyerin'.