Oh Look Mommy! I Spotted A Cliche Story!

→ Sunny's Writing Tips

Us readers here in AFF are somewhat disappointing. I'm not saying that we are degrading when it comes to fanfics, but I believe, in my opinion, we read fanfictions that are pretty much repetitive instead of tackling other fanfictions that deserve the right amount of attention. Even if you say you read a lot of unknown fanfictions here on AFF, you can't deny that you always go back to that one story where it's written in the Second POV, the name of 'your' character is '~~~' and you're a ditzy damsel in distress living in your oppas' house because of some common reason. 

Okay, I have to be lenient here. There are a few fics that have these types of storylines, but the author had their own twist in it. They add their own style, and they change the conflict. It isn't always Nerd Girl vs. Queenka, it isn't always Nerd Girl falling in love with the Bad Boy. 

But that's what I'm saying. Only a few fics have cliche plots, but put their own creativity in it that if you read it, you feel like you've read a whole different plot, even if the plot is overused. 

I'm sad when I see authors don't get recognized for putting their hard work in their fanfiction, and only get a few recognitions. Yes, you write for yourself. But ever heard of the saying, "You write for yourself, but post for the others?" 

It applies to how the author feels. They wrote it for themselves, but they want to be acknowledged in some way, encouraged in some way. But how can they when a bunch of Mary Sues, cliche plots and unwanted scenes are floating around for 8 year olds to read?

Here are a few overused plots

  • Arranged marriage. Oh my god, if someone writes another arranged marriage about two companies merging together, so they had to let their daughter and son marry, I will flip a tower.
  • Nerd Girl hates the Kingka/Bad Boy, but eventually they fall in love because Bad Boy found that when Nerd Girl takes off her glasses and dresses into floral dresses, she looks kind of hot.
  • There's always that childhood friend that s everything up just when the story is getting good because it's in need of 'conflict'
  • Kingka is a player. Queenka is a bish.
  • Girl is an orphan, so she got into the school with a scholarship, meets a rich boy (but she hates him at first), and eventually fall in love in the end.
  • Boy group just got a new male member. And oh wait, it's a girl.

Those are some of the plots that I see on AFF, and I know you guys know them too. So, some tips to improve your plot?

  • Make it different. I'm not saying instead of a male member joining a group, it's really a magical chicken who turns into a beautiful girl. No. That's just freaky, even if it's different. Let's say that girl hates the boy group, and she just got in to tear them down bit by bit. She makes the members fight with each other everyday until the group finally disbands and the female finally becomes the center of the show, just like she wanted. Not really a fluffy fic, but at least it's different. And it can be used in the Angst genre.
  • Go into depth. Some fanfictions lack depth. Sure, you're fic is probably a romance and comedy, or even fluff, but the more you go into the depth, the more the readers can see how much effort you put into making your story different. So, by the time to finish the story, you'll feel attached to it, instead of feeling it's just another story.
  • Either plan it or wing it. I personally would want authors to plan their story, but the reason why I'm slightly against planning is because there's no room for improvements or adjustments. I know that planning can be a benefit, but to me, it's not. Winging it is actually sometimes good because you can update whenever, and inspiration can strike you any time, and you don't have to worry about changing your future chapter outline again. Except for the fact that you'll be confused most of the time. 

So yeah, this is my tips for plots. I'll see you guys.