Four

Romanticized Realities & Realistic Dreams

 

Too many second chances. When one loves the other too much to let go and the other deserves them all but somehow, at some point, both of you learn that it won’t really save what you’ve been trying to protect.

 

Sooyoung left for an out-of-town shoot on the eve of Changmin’s birthday. Just by the sound of it, Changmin and his family knew it wasn’t going to be a happy one for him. Well, not as happy as the ones he spent with his family andhis girlfriend.

His definition of time running out is different. He began to question why there were only twenty-four hours in a day. If there were more, then there’d be time for Changmin to see her and the other way around.

Maybe it was another factor that he worked only in the day as a surgeon’s assistant while Sooyoung worked more than office hours required.

The door opened slowly. “Come in, dear. I think he’s in the balcony.” Changmin’s father spoke, eyes dilating at the harsh brightness of the lights in the welcoming area of their house, “Go up and interrupt his moments with his bottle of beer, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.”

“Thank you, Uncle.” Changmin’s dad was a good man, open-minded and all. When his son introduced Sooyoung to the family, he was a little puzzled. An artist and a doctor had a huge gap of differences, don’t they? He wasn’t sure at first, but he figured the two should pass the test of time themselves.

“Keep calling me that, I’ll never let you marry my son.” Mr. Shim joked, “Sooyoung, feel free to call me Dad. Come up, now, Changmin’s been waiting all night, I suppose. You know what you owe him.”

For some reason, it was weird hearing that from a father. But wouldn’t you rather be thankful for that kind of an in-law.

 

The breeze was colder up there. She worried that Changmin might catch a cold. Approaching the boy seated on a chair pulled near the railing with his feet up, she could feel her heart melting with that tinge of guilt. She’d never missed a birthday since they started dating. Four birthdays, that was, and she had to miss the fifth because of work. “Min, I’m sorry.” She whispered as she knelt beside the chair and held the tipsy boy in her arms.

Changmin brought an arm around her waist, “It’s okay.” Squeezed her in his arms more, engulfed in the warmth he had missed. A few moments passed before Changmin pulled back.

“I- I’m sorry, I didn’t make it to your birthday.” She can’t look at him, head looking down at her feet. Hoping for anything but silent, good treatment.

“Let it go, you’re here now, right?” Sooyoung reached a hand out to hold Changmin’s. She figured, he must’ve drank a lot because he’s being sweet and all, but she didn’t mind.

“Come on, baby. You’re nose is already stuffy.” Sooyoung pulled the tall boy off the chair, his arms automatically slumping over her shoulder. He was heavy alright, but it was one of those times Sooyoung was thankful she could take care of him. A way she knew she could prove she’s still there for him.

 

“Sooyoungie~” He called her name softly as she wiped his skin clean and dressed him up with the pyjamas that matched the pair she owned. It was weird when Changmin’s had a lot to drink, he turns into a mopey kid. Leaning into touches and not letting go, whining but still he could get the snark up in a conversation.

“But Min, I have to go home. I-” Changmin let her hand go. The tinge of guilt spreading as goosebumps all over her skin. See? Mopey kid upscaled to brat now.

She pressed a palm over her forehead and rubbed her cheeks as she breathed deeply. Thinking and thinking of how she could make up for this. She can’t just always make use of the boy’s weaknesses, right? She had to, at some point, prove her strengths to him to remind him why she was confident about their relationship.

“You’re tired. You can’t drive home anymore.” His voice had a mix of disappointment and sleepiness, but it was there none the less. She heard it and convinced herself she could make up a story and call in sick the next day.

She changed into his home clothes, and the next thing she knew, his arms were over her tiny waist.

“Changmin?” The boy kissed her nape but didn’t respond anymore. Changmin wanted to sleep. Like how he’d deal with these little short-comings all the time, he’d sleep it off and in the morning he’ll convince himself that he’s one hundred percent okay.

Sooyoung woke up early the next day to Changmin’s calm face. She checked the time on his nightstand and called her boss’s secretary to confirm she wasn’t coming in that day. A smile crept up her face as she cuddled up to him, a lithe arm hovering a firm stomach.